Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd March 2017, 16:36   #46
BHPian

Re: Red Ducati Monster 821 - Initial ownership report

Quote:
Originally Posted by rav11stars View Post
Dull boring Thursday and colleagues giving that weird look as to why I'm smiling and giggling looking at my lappy; Thank you bro.
Guess I should take time and read first two pages too Have fun.
Thanks man. Do read this one and another thread How get family approval for a Superbike (Advice: Getting family approval for a Superbike!) . You might find this one interesting too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepfreak15 View Post
Thanks for such an honest write up. Loved it!
Thanks man. I don't know how "honest" it is, but thanks for saying that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudeepg View Post
Hilarious, well written first service report. I wish I had writing skills like this. Thanks for making a dull Thursday really good!

The workshop does look well equipped. It's interesting to note that they let you access to the workshop surroundings while your bike was being serviced. I was a bit surprised that the service costs for a bike is much more than a regular car. I'll admit that I am not into bikes much though. For the costs they are charging, they should have really skilled folks working on the bikes. Does the manufacturer offer extended warranties too?
Thanks man.
The workshop is really well equipped and the guys are very good. Ducatis are not simple machines to service and I found that the mechanics surely know their way around the bikes. They have received good training and also their supervisor is committed to grooming them well.

I will ask bout extended warranty and post if I can fetch any useful answer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselritzer View Post
Man you seriously can write well. You should write more, might be a nice travelogue or something like that because you have a witty and funny way of putting down words. This is the first bike related thread I have opened on our forum (i have been surfing on our forum since almost 4/5 yrs now) and it was so much fun. Keep writing bro.
Thanks man. Its really nice to know that I helped you come into the bike world. Do check it out in the real world sometime. My words are really a meek attempt in describing this wonderful machine.
Old 24th March 2017, 14:12   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sen2009 View Post

I set out for the Ducati showroom with my mind fully made up. I got my mind made up back on the Monster in '93, in eighth standard. I didn’t need test ride or any kind of sales pitch etc.
Really happy for you brother. Just wanted to say a million thanks for reaffirming the fact that dreams do come true .

Despite not knowing you but having thoroughly enjoyed, smiled, laughed and maybe feeling a touch emotional through your exceptional writing and review, I cannot help but wish you the best of journeys. The following words by your sister (another exceptional writer- do convey the same) surmise my wishes in their entirety.

Quote:
May the Ducati open up a treasure trove of delights for the very deserving and ever smiling biker-man.
rk206 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2017, 21:36   #48
Senior - BHPian

Personally, I'm all for more subjectivity - in reality it suits the whole endeavor of motorcycling much better than any kind of cold (supposedly) unbiased analysis... The Monster (as many other Ducatis have been) seems the sort of machine that simply inspires its riders beyond words. The experience can't be defined by a spec-sheet or a service booklet / bill. Same with Harleys and Motoguzzis and so many others over the years. They either connect with you or they don't.

The one and only time I rode a Ducati (friend's ST-5, with the famed 916 engine), I didn't even know enough about Ducatis to know it was a V-twin. I was on winding, flawlessly paved roads in the north Georgia hills, finding its power delivery and SOUND simply amazing. The ST (Sport Touring) has a relatively flat seat and I was worried about sliding right off the back if/when I dared to fully open the throttle in anything lower than 3rd gear. My friend was alongside on his wife's Ninja 250, and it was hilarious for both of us to see just how pedestrian that bike was in comparison. Astonishing how the Ducati's grip could be twisted open in any old gear and 150kmph would come up in just a few moments.

As others have advised, do try and ride carefully. A month or so ago when I was with a buddy at a biker bar in Gurgaon, I was informed of the rider of a week-old Ducati who that very morning had met his demise just nearby...

As for me, having been thus inspired / sobered (and not having quite the budget/inclination),I'm on the verge of closing a deal on a much cheaper (and hopefully safer) alternative with just a bit of the same spirit: an old Hyosung Comet (tiny 90-degree V-twin), it's most noticeable attribute IMO being its "...bigger than 249cc sound – think love child of a buzz saw and a Ducati... nice" (motorcyclespecs.co.za)

The number of "thanks" you're receiving affirms your approach to reviewing.

So thanks again.
-Eric

Last edited by ringoism : 26th March 2017 at 21:39.
ringoism is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th April 2017, 22:15   #49
BHPian

A ride video of our last weekend ride to Malshej Ghat. I am not there much in the video for obvious reasons.

Old 6th April 2017, 15:02   #50
BHPian

Sen, on your 1st service bill the svc center has charged you full amount for Motul cleaning & lubing cans. Since only a fraction of it is used at a time, shouldn't they be charging you accordingly or not charge at all (as these can be used across multiple bikes)? it's not like 100 ml of engine oil remaining that we are asked to take home.

SBK expenses eh?
wangdu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2017, 20:24   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wangdu View Post
Sen, on your 1st service bill the svc center has charged you full amount for Motul cleaning & lubing cans. Since only a fraction of it is used at a time, shouldn't they be charging you accordingly or not charge at all (as these can be used across multiple bikes)? it's not like 100 ml of engine oil remaining that we are asked to take home.

SBK expenses eh?
They have given me the cans and asked me to do this cleaning / lubing every 500KM at home. As such I would have bought it anyway, so not an extra expense for me. But it's true that in Superbike world everything has to be bought in sealed pack, even if only a little quantity is required.

And, there is nothing free in this world.
Old 25th August 2019, 11:07   #52
Senior - BHPian

Hijacking the thread since mine is a red M821 and words and i don't mix well so a dedicated thread would probably be too much.

A small ride to a lake off the Bopdev Ghat road.
I need to invest in that booster plug to improve the low end. I used to love these roads on my Electra..maybe i got used to flicking it around. The monster is too much work!
Attached Thumbnails
Red Ducati Monster 821 - Initial ownership report-p_20190825_072739.jpg  

Red Ducati Monster 821 - Initial ownership report-p_20190825_074927.jpg  

Red Ducati Monster 821 - Initial ownership report-p_20190825_084818.jpg  

Red Ducati Monster 821 - Initial ownership report-p_20190825_082414.jpg  

Last edited by Nilesh5417 : 25th August 2019 at 11:09.
Nilesh5417 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st August 2019, 15:00   #53
Senior - BHPian

Another weekend and another ride. This time the company was eclectic to say the least. A 15yr old RX and a Bullet 500.

Was to be a drive but others wanted to ride and I said no rain so why not. But it poured buckets. The road towards Panshet is an ok piece of tarmac. No brainer for the bullet, a bit jerky for the RX and not the most fun for my M. But it is a joy to be out in the hinterland around pune in this season so I will let a few pics do the talking.

The RevIT held up good even without the liner but it got messy since I do not have a rear tyre hugger. And the alpinestars are the drystar kinds. Suggest others to skip cause after riding 30mins in rain and puddles, I was riding with a puddle in my shoes. I didn't expect them to hold up in Indian rain but they just aren't able to withstand water.
Attached Thumbnails
Red Ducati Monster 821 - Initial ownership report-p_20190831_105407.jpg  

Red Ducati Monster 821 - Initial ownership report-p_20190831_084850.jpg  

Red Ducati Monster 821 - Initial ownership report-p_20190831_084726_1.jpg  

Red Ducati Monster 821 - Initial ownership report-p_20190831_084714_1.jpg  

Red Ducati Monster 821 - Initial ownership report-p_20190831_080248.jpg  

Red Ducati Monster 821 - Initial ownership report-p_20190831_080204.jpg  

Red Ducati Monster 821 - Initial ownership report-p_20190831_143855.jpg  

Red Ducati Monster 821 - Initial ownership report-p_20190831_143901.jpg  

Last edited by Nilesh5417 : 31st August 2019 at 15:06.
Nilesh5417 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th November 2019, 08:55   #54
Senior - BHPian

The bike got some TLC now that the rains stopped. Also got inspired by GoBlue to finally get the windscreen installed. Had it for an year now but wasn't sure if i wanted it on the bike cause the bike looks great without it! But then i plan to ride over a weekend in Dec and was an excuse to try the screen on so here it is.
This is a Puig universal touring screen that I picked up for approx 50euros during one of my work trips. Bolts on to the handle bars, is manually adjustable, comes with all bolts (spare ones too), rubber dampers under the clamps to minimize vibrations. Took approx 15min for installation and no special tools required. Must say am might happy with the results! Now for that ride to actually see how it works and to decide if i can live with how the bike looks like a Rooster with that comb like screen on top.
Attached Thumbnails
Red Ducati Monster 821 - Initial ownership report-p_20191107_174138_1.jpg  

Red Ducati Monster 821 - Initial ownership report-p_20191123_165918_1.jpg  

Red Ducati Monster 821 - Initial ownership report-p_20191123_165316_1.jpg  

Red Ducati Monster 821 - Initial ownership report-p_20191124_085226_1.jpg  

Last edited by Nilesh5417 : 24th November 2019 at 08:57.
Nilesh5417 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2021, 00:01   #55
BHPian

Quote:
And, there is nothing free in this world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilesh5417 View Post
The bike got some TLC now that the rains stopped.
Quoting you guys just to see if you guys can update us on your riding experience so far. Its been long that you guys gave any update. Perhaps you are enjoying the riding a lot

Some quick generic questions:

1) Since during rains (now almost over for this year) you face this issue of having all the dirt on your back, have you tried for any solution to it? Can we get some sort of rear tyre cover or hugger in aftermarket?

Asking this because I don't like the dirt on my jacket at the end of a ride even if happens only a few times in a year. I don't have a Ducati Monster as such but I am asking in general as this is a common issue with all Muscle bikes.

2) Has the wind screen helped? I guess it isn't in nature of Ducati Monster to have these from looks perspective but how is the utility? How is the fit of these over long term? Do they vibrate at speed?

3) Ducati's are notorious for vibrations in general but I am not sure how these recently developed engines are doing? Any feedback on that front?

4) M821 seems like a compact bike. Great for ride experience but how do those rear view mirror fare for anyone with wide shoulders? Feel a need to change to something wider (say like KTM)? How are the ergos for a tall rider? I am 6'2" and some of the bikes that look great and I want to purchase are not made for me :( Please share your thoughts on the same.
Old 11th December 2022, 22:15   #56
BHPian

Let's see if we can bring some more discussions back into this thread.
I've owned an M821 2018 model and have done about 20+K on the odo. It's been a hoot and along the way, a few Italian nuances with bits and bobs.
Why the Monster and why a Ducati?
Space constraints led me to consider a naked bike vs. a half or full-faired one and surely not an ADV given how wide the bars are. To that, a few naked and retros were on the radar.
T120 from Triumph
Street Triple 765
MT07 from Yamaha (a nice story about this later)
Scrambler series from Ducati
Monster 821 from Ducati

For the sake of experience, did try a Harley Iron and their Street 750.
BMWs were not on the cards given Tusker behavior and the GS range is too big for my space constraints. I don't remember if the retro R nine T was available then or not. Likely would not have made much difference anyhow.

Rode the Triumphs and Harley bikes and then got in touch with Yamaha as to which dealer would sell the MT07. Turns out, most local dealers will deal but you have to wait 90 or more days to even see one and that too, it might be moved to another city if a certain brand ambassador asked it for his mates. Till then, I'd have to start paying the EMIs even though the bike was nowhere in sight. Bye-bye, Yamaha sadly.
Triumphs were really good bikes. Loved the retro Thruxton and it was a serious contender. But then I made a trip to the local service center and that made the 180 on the decision about Triumphs in general. Wish they would take a firm stand and get another service center.
Harleys were just for the experience of riding and that was it. Nothing against bikes but not my cup of tea (cruisers). Had they kept the Buell brand and kept it updated, maybe?
Ducati when they had the dealership in Mallya towers was a nice experience. Bikes were available for test rides with no unwanted attitude like a certain Bavarian brand. The test ride was short compared to Triumph but the next stop was over to the service center to see how riders and the bikes were treated and that more or less sold it for me. The Monster was chosen over the Scramblers for the liquid-cooled motor and a few more safety aids. It had to be the one in Black. Matte Black.

Circa 2022, the bike's clocked over 20,000 Km and getting closer to the dreaded Desmo. A few issues over the years have been the fuel gauge setup that has been replaced twice under the warranty and the wiring harness as well (not covid parking and rat related). Beyond that, the tires were the next major thing given the sudden shortage of quality rubber or the exorbitant pricing that's in place even now.
Speaking of tires, they did come with a set of Rosso IIIs which lasted about 10,000 Km and due to a few punctures, were replaced early with a set of MT60 RS from the Scrambler range. This was a major change as the bike could now get to some light fire trails and barring rocks and going down a slope, was pretty fun. There was no loss of grip on the highways and off the tarmac, which was a revelation. Just so long as you don't go down a slope and turn at the same time. Really.
Now, have a set of Vredestein Centauro STs which have clocked over 2.7K and this far are pretty ok. They are not grippy like the Rosso IIIs and nowhere near capable on bad surfaces like the MT60s but good enough... till maybe a set of Angel GT.

FOR WHATEVER REASON, I HAVE NOT BEEN ABLE TO UPLOAD EVEN A SMALL PIC ONTO THE SITE... DO EXCUSE.
Added a link to the Insta page for reference. Not a plug or promo
Pics before the change in looks
https://www.instagram.com/p/COXRYe6n..._web_copy_link

After the recent change
https://www.instagram.com/p/CcmgG2Or..._web_copy_link

Recently, the only major update to the bike has been a change to a fully gloss black finish over the matte black and went with the classic Ducati naming on the tank (similar to the 70s) but with white on black. No other decals as such. Kept it clean.
The seat got a new tan brown cover over the OEM one as the latter was starting to tear at the seams near the tank. That was starting to dig into the paintwork and hence the change to another finish. Then, a DQS or OEM Quickshifter was added. The bike as is did not come with one but due to a shortage of parts, Covid, etc. had kept this one off till recently.
The DQS works well once you've made the adjustments to the height, basis your foot position but at times, the annoying false neutral going into 5th or coming back to 5th persists. Aside from that, it can be used in the city and has no real complaints.

From the last post:
Riding in the rain is always a pain with the dirt being flung onto your back. Nothing can be done there apart from some mods to the hugger maybe.
Rode another bike where an aftermarket screen was fitted. Works if you stay low but you will get buffetting. Cannot be helped on a naked bike at speeds.
For the vibes, yes. Ducati L-Twins are vibey if you have come off an inline 4 or parallel twin. Just have to get used to the nuances of the bike in general. I've test ridden the new 937 Monster or Monster V2 as it might be called next year. Same vibey motor as the Hypermotard and Multistrada. Just a smaller tank to the older 821 but better turning circle (U-Turns in traffic), much lesser weight (no trellis frame), and a more comprehensive safety package onboard.

A general question after this lengthy post:
The battery is going to be due soon for replacement. Would like to know if a Li-Ion would be a good option and if so, which one should I consider.
The chain and sprockets are also going to be due in the coming year and wondering if there are good options in the market for non-OEM ones. No plans to go with aluminum or change of teeth on the sprockets but good to know what options are there. Same for the chain. Would X-Ring be worth getting vs. the OEM chain?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks