Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th February 2017, 17:11   #1
Senior - BHPian

Benelli does a Ducati - 750cc naked sports bike spied

Reported way back in May'16 that Benelli was working on a 750cc naked, here come the actual spyshots. It clearly looks inspired by the Monster, which isn't a bad thing cause the end result is that Benelli does have a handsome bike on cards.

I love the overall flow of the bike and how the seat ends in a dual-tone. Note the nomenclature - 750GS under the seat in the first pic. The headlight again seems inspired heavily from the Ducati - the easiest thing that Benelli could have reworked to give it a different look? And then the USD could have been golden too. While Ducati uses the exhaust pipes like an ornament, this one simply does the job with a blacked out treatment.

That exhaust though looks different to say the least. Benelli motorcycles, right from the 250 and all the way up to the TNT, all sound orgasmic! I tried looking up for videos but none so far but am sure this one sounds just right too.

I think this will sell if priced right and if Benelli's reputation isn't ruined already due to its expensive (outrageous maybe) after sales experience and just-ok build quality. Cause EICMA-2017@Milan isn't going to be any time before Nov'17 which means the bike will probably land on our shores in Q2'18 at the earliest. Thats a long wait for the production ready bike (which might be enough time for Benelli to make it look like a Benelli and not a Ducati) and for DSK-Benelli to either ruin or repair their perception.
Quote:
A set of close-up photographs of new Benelli 750 cc naked sportsbike has been leaked online, giving us a glimpse of what to expect from the Italian sportsbike maker at the upcoming EICMA 2017 in Milan. The new motorcycle is a part of a new product onslaught which started at the 2015 edition of the elite motorcycle show.
Source - Rushlane

Attached Thumbnails
Benelli does a Ducati - 750cc naked sports bike spied-benelli750ccbike2.jpg  

Last edited by Nilesh5417 : 13th February 2017 at 17:26.
Nilesh5417 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 13th February 2017, 19:16   #2
Team-BHP Support

re: Benelli does a Ducati - 750cc naked sports bike spied

When the 600i was called Chinese, I couldn't agree with it, for it had a brilliant Yamaha motor, was unique, and the quality was not bad as well. And boy did it sing!

But this one, looks nothing but a "copy" of the Monster. Too bad Benelli, too bad! Now the Chinese ownership is showing!

PS- The silencer reminds me of the 'puttukutti' that's widely used for cooking in Kerala.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 13th February 2017 at 19:17.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 13th February 2017, 21:21   #3
BHPian

re: Benelli does a Ducati - 750cc naked sports bike spied

Lol. Benelli has become a true chinese company now. Copying designs and selling for cheap. Kinda like Xiaomi.

Really sad to see this considering their rich heritage. TNT1300r is still one awesome bike. Wish they had stayed on that track instead of losing focus and launching a Ducati rip-off!
The Brutailer is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th February 2017, 17:53   #4
BHPian

This is reverse engineering at its best, buy a bike you want to built , open it up to individual pieces , measure everything / or better still use a 3D printer to make the moulds and mass produce it at half the price of the competition.
Chinese are world leaders in reverse engineering, don't believe me? Look at the shenyang J 11 B ( it's a fighter jet) it's a reverse engineered master piece of the Sukhoi SU27.
Just a point though, it does open up the market for affordable super bikes in / for money conscious India/Indians.
Old 14th February 2017, 18:01   #5
Team-BHP Support

Re: Benelli does a Ducati - 750cc naked sports bike spied

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjt2012 View Post
Just a point though, it does open up the market for affordable super bikes in / for money conscious India/Indians.
Doesn't do much.

There is not much of a difference between the likes of Benelli 600 GT and Kawasaki Versys 650, for example.
Old 14th February 2017, 18:21   #6
BHPian

I think it would be unfair to compare an inline 4 and a twin, Benelli is the only manufacturer offering an inline4 at a competitive price range, though the build quality and after sales may be a big question mark.
cjt2012 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th February 2017, 18:40   #7
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjt2012 View Post
I think it would be unfair to compare an inline 4 and a twin, Benelli is the only manufacturer offering an inline4 at a competitive price range, though the build quality and after sales may be a big question mark.
Engine alone doesn't make the bike, does it? Package matters and engine is one factor of it.

But anyways, respecting your point - let's see how they can price it VFM. 7 lakhs for the 600i with ABS in Bangalore leaves a 1.7L price gap between the 600i ABS and the inline4 Z800 (outgoing though).

Wonder what would be the sweet spot to place this new 750 in there, specially considering its a twin as well!

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 14th February 2017 at 18:42.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th February 2017, 20:11   #8
BHPian

This is how a timeless Italian design is ruined by chinese influence. Not what i expected to come out of Benelli.

If it's priced competitively like the 600i and GT then off chance few enthusiasts will go for it.

Guess if i buy this sorry looking thing, i would first take to a workshop and make it look like a proper Ducati monster
raghu.bramha is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th February 2017, 21:43   #9
BHPian

Still remember drooling over the Benelli 750 sei (6 cylinders)growing up, had a huge poster in my room, that and the cbx 1000, then the company shut shop, with some failed attempts to restart.
Whether we like it or not, if it was not for these loaded Chinese companies many iconic Brand's would not see the light of day (case in point MG cars)
Now if I am not wrong DSK hold some stake in the Benelli brand and production happens at pune in addition to Italy in the same factory where it used to produce bikes before.
So Chinese influence or no they are doing pretty decent business after the Chinese take over based on good competitive pricing and market research.
Old 14th February 2017, 22:26   #10
BHPian

I am truly thankful that it was not out before and not expected anytime soon. It could have just killed me.
sen2009 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th February 2017, 22:48   #11
BHPian

Benelli is India's number one superbike brand. Its very interesting to see how people in India are preferring Benelli over Triumph and Kawasaki just for the sake of pricing. Now this will be another hit motorcycle for the company which will be pitched against Ducati Monster likes.
Buying a Benelli might be cheaper but owning makes it really expensive. Benelli service interval is 4000kms whereas all other brands has service interval of 6000-8000 or 10000kms.
Old 15th February 2017, 09:42   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitahirrao View Post
Benelli is India's number one superbike brand.

Two Things

[1] What's the authentic source?

DSK Benelli/DSK Hyosung are not SIAM members and have never shared their sales data

[2] The term "Super Bike" is used too loosely.

What's a "Super Bike"?

Is it any bike which looks Big/Has a Fat Rear Tyre?
Is it any bike which that a BIG (How Big) Engine?

Last edited by payeng : 15th February 2017 at 09:44.
payeng is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2017, 09:47   #13
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by payeng View Post
DSK Benelli/DSK Hyosung are not SIAM members and have never shared their sales data
+1.

And the numbers they occasional reveal during press statements are not exclusive of more mass market products like the TNT300 or the TNT25.

Among the big bikes, I feel the 600i is the lone bike that sells in numbers. Have rarely seen the others on the road, that too in a city like Bangalore.

Even more surprising that Team-bhp only has one ownership report yet, the 300!

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 15th February 2017 at 09:49.
Old 15th February 2017, 10:03   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by payeng View Post
Two Things

[1] What's the authentic source?

[2] The term "Super Bike" is used too loosely.

What's a "Super Bike"?

Is it any bike which looks Big/Has a Fat Rear Tyre?
Is it any bike which that a BIG (How Big) Engine?
The authentic source is the press release from DSK Benelli India that quotes
"Press Release: DSK Benelli underlines its leadership position in the superbike industry by ending 2016 on a high- Sold 711 units in the demonetization period"

The term superbike as per their press release is,
"The brand owns the most diverse product portfolio comprising superbikes ranging from 250cc to 1131cc at lucrative price points. DSK Benelli has multiple bestselling superbikes in its product portfolio, including TNT 600i, TNT 25, and TNT 300. Four more products are in the pipeline, and are expected to be launched in 2017."

P.S. I am not a Benelli fan.

Last edited by amitahirrao : 15th February 2017 at 10:04. Reason: added few more lines.
Old 15th February 2017, 11:25   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitahirrao View Post
"The brand owns the most diverse product portfolio comprising superbikes ranging from 250cc to 1131cc at lucrative price points.
If 250 CC is the entry barrier to Super bikes club, then the mantle of India's number one superbike brand should reside with none other than Royal Enfield.

Benelli do have some good bikes and they do sound awesome - but this paticular example is something they could have done away with completely. Instead of trying their hands at copy paste and that 'puttukutti' (thanks for the term, CD) silencer, they should have made an original looking bike.

This one looks like a wanna be Ducati Monster - a la goophones and sophones and other numerous imitations out there.

--Anoop

Last edited by theexperthand : 15th February 2017 at 11:29.
theexperthand is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks