Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports

Search this Thread
Old 12th April 2018, 20:26   #76

Re: 15 things to consider before buying a big motorcycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by R-Six View Post
Hey Yasir,

A completely different suggestion. Why not consider premium bike rentals instead? Pardon me if you have already thought about that and decided not to proceed on that route due to any reason.

I'm pretty sure that there will be premium bike rental options in HYD. Given that you are going to use only for a couple of months a year, it doesn't make sense investing so much money in that.

Going the rental way, you can experiment and experience different bikes during your every visit and make your riding experience even better.

Ride safe,
R-Six

Hey R-six,

Yes I had thought about renting a superbike, Will surely try this atleast once.

Thank You
Old 17th June 2018, 12:48   #77
BHPian

This video helps decision making for many aspiring motorcyclists.

I did feel nice that journalists as revered as Ari make such relatable videos.
rohitoasis is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 25th August 2018, 18:05   #78
BHPian

This one is great & prefect for self realisation, thanks a lot CD. My dream of owning one litre class is for years, family ready, umpteen long rides on my CI engine Bull & now on Dominar 400. Not a speed monker rather a mile muncher. Still waiting for the right time and hopefully by 2020 I shall able to accomplish as 2019 is only for test rides. Choices are on torque engine where the torque kicks in early to negotiate city traffic before landing on highway & the power should peak in mid rev range. Engine preferably oil/liquid cooled along with air cool (fins). Must have safety as priority dual channel ABS, TRACTION CONTROL. Thanks for the 16th & 17th point by GTO & gkveda.
Old 15th October 2018, 17:15   #79
BHPian

Just came across this thread and felt it gives a good realization of what you want and what you should get.

When I had TB350, after 2 years of ownership I was raring to go for a speed machine and had done all the research and made up my mind for a 650. Then somehow I gave it another thought and realized that I don't need one and can't maintain such a big and expensive bike - both in terms of expenses and public attention while on road.

After that, I went for the Dominar which was a perfect blend of economy, simplicity, more than enough power that is practical on Indian roads, touring capability and comfort.

It turned out to be and excellent decision for me. The D400 has the magical 6th gear which ranges the speeds between 60-160. I have taken it on numerous 500-600 km rides and it roars all day at 125kmph without stress. I don't get sore bums at end of day, can leave it outside any restaurant when I go for lunch or breakfast on highways and it gathers just enough attention which I can handle comfortably.

It gives me occasional power rushes to 140-145kmph, has excellent build quality among other pluses. It has it's share of minuses as well - but which bike doesn't have them?

Now I know that I don't need a (sub)superbike at all - I don't have to showoff on weekend breakfast rides to anyone, can't handle its expenses comfortably and already have a bike which satisfies all my needs.
amods is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th November 2018, 16:29   #80
BANNED

Hi... I read through this post in full last night. Great information and very well laid out. It is wonderful of you to have taken the time to open people's eyes about all possible dimensions of owning a big bike. I only wish that you had also taken the time to talk about some of the positives. Because I am sure that there are a few upsides besides the obvious sense of pride that comes from having accomplished a dream.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
[b]

12. Accidents and death become a part of life.

...You can, at best, be a more mature rider and delay the inevitable as much as you can -

There are Old Riders, and Bold Riders, but there are no Old, Bold Riders.
This section, and in particular, this line is way too fatalistic. It's true that bikes are dangerous and that there are quite a few bad accidents. But, statistically speaking, the number of accidents and fatalities are a fraction of the number of bikes and riders out there.

One has to take precautions of course. But, reading your line makes one feel especially morose as if every single motorcyclist out there is headed towards certain doom. You should consider changing the language slightly. I say this with the best of intentions. So, please don't get offended.

Also, that quote about old and bold riders appears contradictory to me. If someone old is still riding, that actually means that they are, in fact, bold.

mohansrides is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2018, 17:16   #81
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohansrides View Post
Because I am sure that there are a few upsides besides the obvious sense of pride that comes from having accomplished a dream.
No offence taken.

This thread was about negetives because positives are only being mentioned everywhere. All of us including me love their motorcycles and hardly speak out the negetives.

Its almost near two years since I wrote it, and may be views change. It'll be fun to do a review if moderators allow it. Will check the possibility.

For all the positives and fun from my perspective, please do read my ownership thread here - https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/super...sys-650-a.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yasirdz View Post
Hey R-six,

Yes I had thought about renting a superbike, Will surely try this atleast once.

Thank You
Renting is not an option for me due to horrible maintenance of such bikes. Please do a good check, specially the tyre condition before taking one out. There is also the speed limit mostly in the early triple digits.

Most rental bikes I've seen have the cheapest (Downsized MRFs on 650s for example!) and worn out tyres.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 4th November 2018 at 17:25.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2019, 23:13   #82
BHPian

Re: A conversation in caution. The new Z900.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer & Anvil View Post
Kawasaki just yesterday launched a few bikes and what the Indian biker community at large saw was a spectacular Liter-class Z900 at an almost affordable price of 9L ex-showroom. Affordable and a 'Z,' that word worried me.

bike.

I can almost see newbie riders and even those with a smidgen of 650 experience smirking that they can handle the throttle and their wrist was lighter than most Surgeons... and they would tame the right bobbin and not wheelie in 3rd gear (oh yes this 1000 could probably do that too.It is a very stable bike with good balance, and an engine that is unobtrusive and super smooth-the exhaust very subdued and unlike a Akrapovic that would talk to you when gunned. The bike is uncomplaining at any rpm and delivers a false sense of security at any if not all speeds.

Bad Joss will happen. If you have not been sufficiently overwhelmed by the acceleration then comes the Brakes.
The brake, If you just touch the brake levers you may come off over the handle bars its that superbly engineered- to put it bluntly.
I kid you not. So at high speeds which are actually pedestrian and piddling for the Z1000, if you grab the brakes- you will have no way of knowing what will happen next
(Pic Courtesy- Team-BHP)
Thanks H&A for the detailed write up. Although you didn't mean it, you just destroyed my 20 year old dream. I'm now seriously scared to buy an inline 4 bike
However, can you help me understand whom do you call a "newbie"?. Taking my example, I've been riding bikes for 18 years. Started with RX135, shogun, Bajaj calibre . Have a RE classic 350 since 2010. I am a sedate driver and rarely crosses 70 kmph on my Enfield. Would you call me a newbie?

Last edited by Lambydude : 8th February 2019 at 23:15.
Old 9th February 2019, 13:12   #83
Senior - BHPian

Re: A conversation in caution. The new Z900.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambydude View Post
Taking my example, I've been riding bikes for 18 years. Started with RX135, shogun, Bajaj calibre . Have a RE classic 350 since 2010. I am a sedate driver and rarely crosses 70 kmph on my Enfield. Would you call me a newbie?
Yes...it's not only about how long have you been riding but what have been riding. Trust me that litre class 100+ bhp bikes are a handful for everyone when ridden for the first time. These things are like sharp tools, you have to get used to them slowly and then you get confident. But the Z is extremely predicable!! You can get used to riding it and feel in control in a few weeks. At the same time it can kill you pretty quick if you are suicidal. But trust yourself since you been riding so long. I think you will enjoy it. If you don't feel so confident, start with the CBR650F. But don't let your dream die.
Nilesh5417 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2019, 12:49   #84
BHPian

I recently took the plunge (despite having been through this thread) and got myself a pre owned Benelli TNT 600i - ABS model.

Its been barely 2 weeks and my daily rider as of now is a Dominar. My biggest gripe which maybe sours the experience is not the bike but rather the behaviour of other bikers towards me. I prefer to take the bike out in the wee hours of the morning or late nights but I will invariably find at least 3 - 4 scooter or bike riders cut across me at high speed and then look back/slow down so i race them.

I always stick to regular speeds and never let these guys get to me nor do I respond in any way. I just ignore them and keep riding. Still it has started getting a bit dangerous since I dont trust these squids to have enough control when they swing across so close to me. I bet they go home with stories of how they defeated some chump who had a sportsbike but couldnt catch them.

Sad part is when I told of this experience to a friend who also loves riding, he responde

The unsaid taunts dont bother me, what does irk me is the danger these idiots are putting me through. I shudder to imagine how many more of these clowns I would come across if I took the bike out in regular hours (not advisable obviously for the bike).
Vikram8891 is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2019, 14:07   #85
BHPian

[quote=Vikram8891;4548902]

Sorry my post got wrongly edited when I posted. Continuing this line:

Sad part is when I told of this experience to a friend who also loves riding, he responded saying that he too does the same in his city when he finds some guy on a sportsbike and actually feels good when he manages to move between traffic quicker than the other guy. Guess he loves the ego trip.
Vikram8891 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2019, 14:29   #86
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikram8891 View Post
I
I always stick to regular speeds and never let these guys get to me nor do I respond in any way. I just ignore them and keep riding. Still it has started getting a bit dangerous since I dont trust these squids to have enough control when they swing across so close to me.
Damn, this happened to me day before, when an idiot on some Honda Dio kind of contraption tried to get past me on the right and a car further afield with inches to spare. No lid, no nothing as usual. I just flinched because he came so quick and so close, I barely had time to react.

He did some swish manoeuvre and backed off after seeing the gap closed off. I had to look behind and ask him what he was up to with a few hand gestures.

A minute later he over took me.

The best approach is to either ride away faster from them, or slow down to such an extent they no longer care. The latter is the best option.
Red Liner is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2019, 19:46   #87
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikram8891 View Post
Its been barely 2 weeks and my daily rider as of now is a Dominar. My biggest gripe which maybe sours the experience is not the bike but rather the behaviour of other bikers towards me. I prefer to take the bike out in the wee hours of the morning or late nights but I will invariably find at least 3 - 4 scooter or bike riders cut across me at high speed and then look back/slow down so i race them.

I always stick to regular speeds and never let these guys get to me nor do I respond in any way. I just ignore them and keep riding.
Pretty common for most SBK owners i think. You do the right thing - just ignore and ride at your own pace.
ethanhunt123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2019, 21:26   #88
BHPian

Hi all. I m planning to upgrade from my bullet classic 350. I ve owned a hero HONDA splendour and bullet 350 in the past. I use 4 wheelers For daily use.
I m 5’7”. I use the bullet classic 350- usage is 1. 2-3 times a week within the city for local errands 2. Sunday morning rides around 50-100 km around MUMBAI. Single rider no pillion.
I don’t exceed 80-100 kph
I need a reliable low maintainence bike with good refinement , easy to ride in town as well as good on highways and preferably low seat height. Pick up and drop for services will be required . I stay in Kalyan and am a busy doctor so can’t really take the bike to the workshop.
I am not fond of sports bikes or feet forward position as in cruisers. Retro / modern classic looks and a deep throaty exhaust are a must. I am planning to wait for the jawa perak. Would prefer something with twin cylinders and at least 500 cc though.
Please suggest
Old 14th March 2019, 21:33   #89
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban legend View Post
Hi all. I m planning to upgrade from my bullet classic 350.
Please suggest

Interceptor.
Dominar.
Old 15th March 2019, 08:12   #90
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
Interceptor.
Dominar.
Actually i would scratch the dominar and suggest the Honda CB300R.

Most Viewed