Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th March 2019, 09:20   #91
Team-BHP Support

15 things to consider before buying a big motorcycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Actually i would scratch the dominar and suggest the Honda CB300R.

Good point. Agree - didnt think of the CBR 300. I would suggest all three though.
Old 15th March 2019, 13:45   #92
BHPian

Re: 15 things to consider before buying a big motorcycle

The dominant and cbr seem too sporty- both in looks and riding position.
I had thought about the interceptor but frankly after using 2 RE I don’t feel like going for one again. Even though it’s a fantastic bike it still has many ergonomic flaws and niggles.
The street twin seems best for my requirements but after reading this thread and considering my limited usage I have decided to keep a strict budget of 3-4 lakhs plus whatever resale I get for my classic 350.
Old 19th June 2019, 05:51   #93
BHPian

Hello ladies and gentlemen,

I am looking for your advise on buying my first used super bike in India. I have been riding Suzuki C50, a 800cc cruiser for two years and then Vulcan nomad, a 1600 cc cruiser for last three years in US. I plan to ride in India when I travel on vacation, which could be ten days every three to four months. I am not interested in royal enfields and I am open to renting out as well but based on the feedback here and general research, those bikes are not well maintained. I am into long distance touring, so I am looking at something which can carry some luggage for me. So far, I have come across sportster 48, owned by a fellow Bhpian and a bonneville. I am not sure what would be good places to purchase and I am restricting myself to our classifieds and some findings on xbhp. I would request any feedback or advise based on your experience and thoughts.
Thank you
Old 19th June 2019, 08:43   #94
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhardwhu View Post

So far, I have come across sportster 48, owned by a fellow Bhpian and a bonneville. I am not sure what would be good places to purchase and I am restricting myself to our classifieds and some findings on xbhp.
If your requirement is touring, the 48 is a pretty poor option given it's tiny tank and its hard suspension. I've owned a Bonneville and extensively toured on it. It's a far better option but has its limitations. I recently traded in my Bonnie for a VStrom 650.

Since you are a cruiser guy, you would automatically gravitate towards cruisers. However, if you ask my opinion, a middleweight ADV bike like the Versys or the VStrom 650 is the right choice for our roads which are pretty unpredictable. You might find some used deals on the Versys as it has been around longer. If you are okay to stretch the budget, you can find well maintained Tiger 800s as well. Now that's a brilliant bike

Do reach out to your local Triumph/Kawasaki dealer. They will connect you to customers who are looking to sell.

Last edited by ranjitnair77 : 19th June 2019 at 08:44.
ranjitnair77 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th June 2019, 09:05   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitnair77 View Post
I recently traded in my Bonnie for a VStrom 650.

However, if you ask my opinion, a middleweight ADV bike like the Versys or the VStrom 650 is the right choice for our roads which are pretty unpredictable. You might find some used deals on the Versys as it has been around longer. If you are okay to stretch the budget, you can find well maintained Tiger 800s as well.
Thank you for the quick response. What were the issues you observed with Bonnie for touring?
And you rightly assessed that I am gravitating towards cruisers, which can take some abuse our roads throw. I did ride royal enfields for almost a decade before I moved to US and don’t want to go back to them because of their limitations and quality issues. The other challenge I see with big bikes is the fuel requirement. Would you be able to suggest ones which run on normal fuel and do not need 91 and beyond?
Thanks again
Old 19th June 2019, 11:20   #96
BHPian

Quote:
What were the issues you observed with Bonnie for touring?
Positives
  • Timeless design and beautiful build quality, fit and finish
  • Smooth parallel twin with brilliant power delivery.
  • Extremely reliable. Great service intervals.
Limitations
  • Basic suspension with limited suspension travel. It's not plush. You need to baby it over rough roads.
  • Alloys that can bend on impact. Almost all my friends who have a Bonnie have replaced their alloys at some point. I replaced the rear alloy once.
  • Limited wind protection. Needs aftermarket windscreens that are hit-or-miss.
  • Limited tank range. You will need to refill roughly every 250kms.
Out of the Bonnies available, my choice would be the Scrambler followed by the T100 and then the base Bonnie SE/Street Twin.

The Scrambler as it is better over mixed roads. The T100 as the ergonomics are better for touring as compared to the base Bonnie/Street Twin.

Quote:
I am gravitating towards cruisers, which can take some abuse our roads throw.
Well, I'm not a cruiser fan so my response on this will be negative. The biggest issue with cruisers in India is the ergonomics. You sit with your feet pushed in front which is okay when the roads are good. But the modern classics/ADVs let you stand up and ride on bad roads which is extremely useful. Cruisers are just not versatile enough.

The modern classics are just as tough as the cruisers. The ADV bikes are tougher. Many cruiser owners I know have moved on to ADV bikes once these limitations become apparent.

Quote:
Would you be able to suggest ones which run on normal fuel and do not need 91 and beyond?
Thanks again
All the bikes mentioned run fine on regular fuel. The ADV bikes that I have mentioned run perfectly on regular fuel.

Do ride them all and buy what you like. You can tour on pretty much any bike to be honest as it is more about the rider than the motorcycle itself. All the best with your search

Last edited by ranjitnair77 : 19th June 2019 at 11:25.
ranjitnair77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2019, 11:33   #97
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitnair77 View Post
However, if you ask my opinion, a middleweight ADV bike like the Versys or the VStrom 650 is the right choice for our roads which are pretty unpredictable.
Quote:
And you rightly assessed that I am gravitating towards cruisers, which can take some abuse our roads throw.
Full agree with Ranjit. For touring I would suggest middle weight ADVs are any day a better bet. You could look out for used Versys / Tiger 800s. The V strom is great too but its relatively new so not sure if there are that many in the used market yet. All these bikes run on regular fuel and I know people who've taken their Tigers to Leh as well.

I don't agree that Cruisers can take the abuse - they'll come with all kinds of GC issues and honestly for that reason alone I think the ADVs make a better bet.
Axe77 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th June 2019, 11:50   #98
Senior - BHPian

A 650cc Kawasaki Versys is all the bike you need to tour in this country. It is reasonably fast, can carry luggage , has decent mileage , enough ground clearance to tackle our pot hole roads , can even take on the twisties and best of all will work on normal fuel from any bunk.
Not to mention it is more or less niggle free and numerous good examples are available in the second hand market from people who want to 'upgrade' to a higher capacity motorcycle. The re sale prices is also accepatable.
Another option is the Triumph Tiger 800. Has more off road creed but comes with the usual traits of an adventure bike. The new 650cc from Royal Enfield also do a good job at touring but would not be as comfortable ergonomically as the Kawasaki.

There are bigger, faster, more expensive and more competent options available but a 650 will fit the bill to the T.

Last edited by bigron : 19th June 2019 at 11:54.
bigron is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th June 2019, 01:19   #99
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigron View Post
numerous good examples are available in the second hand market from people who want to 'upgrade' to a higher capacity motorcycle. The re sale prices is also accepatableT.
Thank you for the advise. Would you happen to know what reliable sources should I look at to buy? I am focusing on team Bhp and xbhp and am looking for people who are descriptive enough about their machines. Olx or quikr are throwing dealer dominated ads and don’t give me confidence.

Also, to my original post’s point, would you recommend even looking at rentals? I will share again my concern with poor maintenance and possibly exaggerated pricing and deposits. But I am open to ideas if anyone here would be able to guide differently.
Looking forward to feedback
Thank you
Old 20th June 2019, 07:09   #100
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you for the advise. Would you happen to know what reliable sources should I look at to buy? I am focusing on team Bhp and xbhp and am looking for people who are descriptive enough about their machines. Olx or quikr are throwing dealer dominated ads and don’t give me confidence.

Thank you
Bigron and the others have hit the nail on the head.

I don't know which part of India you are writing from, but my versys 650 is actually up for sale in bangalore. Do PM me if interested and we can work out something.

I have an ultra detailed ownership thread on the bike here with all maintenance explained: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/super...completed.html (Tesseract: Going further with the Kawasaki Versys 650. EDIT: 50,000 km completed)
Red Liner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2019, 08:34   #101
Senior - BHPian

If you can find used examples in your area go give them visit. A good test ride will normally reveal alot about the bike and how it is cared for.
Take someone along who knows a thing or two about engine noise, suspension sag , electronics etc etc if you do not feel confident in making a judgment on your own.
Ensure proper paper work is in place.
You could always give a bike to an authorized service center for a thorough check up before buying . A genuine seller will not have an issue with this. Think of it as an investment rather than an expense. There is no guarantee that an owner selling the bike has cared for it well just like it is not necessary that a dealer is off loading a junk of a bike.
You already have a forum member offering you a bike. If its feasible for you geographically, by all means take it forward. It should not be a reason for remorse.
Rental is a completely different line of thought. Just pick up any that looks and sounds reasonably okay and get on with touring. I know Triumph Tiger 800s etc are available for rent. They are all going to be abused examples, you just have to pick the lesser abused one.
Now, to buy or rent is something you will have to take a call on. Personally, if you have place where the bike can be stored properly and you are going to tour close to 2 months in a year, buying is the way to go.

Last edited by bigron : 20th June 2019 at 08:41.
bigron is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th June 2019, 12:03   #102
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am open to renting out as well but based on the feedback here and general research, those bikes are not well maintained. I am into long distance touring, so I am looking at something which can carry some luggage for me. . I would request any feedback or advise based on your experience and thoughts.
Thank you
I don't know where you are based in India. If in Bangalore you have few rental options like the following;

http://www.wickedride.com/?gclid=EAI...SAAEgIJ8vD_BwE

https://www.royalbrothers.com/bangal...rentals/tariff

Both of them have some big bikes in their inventory and usually the bikes on tour rentals are in good condition as opposed to daily rental bikes.

My friends have had good experience in renting Tiger 800s from Wicked Rides to tour in Himachal and they have had good experince with the bike.

Best Regards & Thanks

Ram

Last edited by r_nairtvm : 24th June 2019 at 12:05.
r_nairtvm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th June 2019, 16:40   #103
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigron View Post
Take someone along who knows a thing or two about engine noise, suspension sag , electronics etc etc if you do not feel confident in making a judgment

Now, to buy or rent is something you will have to take a call on. Personally, if you have place where the bike can be stored properly and you are going to tour close to 2 months in a year, buying is the way to go.
Thank you. I have been into motorcycles for last two decades and consider myself fairly well versed but nonetheless it is a good suggestion to get second inspection.

The second point is where I am unable to decide. I am in a situation where my work commitments will not allow me to ride for more than 30 says an year. I am not sure if I should invest in purchasing or just look for rental.

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_nairtvm View Post
I don't know where you are based in India. If in Bangalore you have few rental options like the following;

http://www.wickedride.com/?gclid=EAI...SAAEgIJ8vD_BwE

https://www.royalbrothers.com/bangal...rentals/tariff

Ram
Thank you Ram. Both seem to be good options and since I am from Delhi and Dehradun, geographical limitations kick in. I see one option in letsryde in Delhi but their choices are limited to Bonneville for practical touring. I request any other suggestions if you know of in northern part of the country.

Last edited by Jaggu : 24th June 2019 at 16:47. Reason: Back to back posts, please use Multi Quote [Quote+] instead. Thanks.
Old 24th June 2019, 21:35   #104
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The second point is where I am unable to decide. I am in a situation where my work commitments will not allow me to ride for more than 30 says an year. I am not sure if I should invest in purchasing or just look for rental.
I havent read all your posts, but just this one line indicates no point in buying one - in the location where you will there for 30 days in a year. If you are in RI for the rest of the time, did you consider getting one there ?

Last edited by condor : 24th June 2019 at 21:36.
Old 24th June 2019, 22:24   #105
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
I havent read all your posts, but just this one line indicates no point in buying one - in the location where you will there for 30 days in a year. If you are in RI for the rest of the time, did you consider getting one there ?
Sure, I already own a 1600 cc Vulcan nomad and use extensively in US. It is only during my India trips that I want to ride and am debating between buying and owning one. My total trip duration in any given year is not more than thirty days. So I am not sure which way to look at.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks