Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th July 2017, 11:14   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Kawasaki Z650 launched at Rs. 5.19 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caramba View Post
Sorry for going off topic, but 19 lakhs for a z1000 is insane!
Compare the Z650 with Ninja 300, and the atrocious pricing of Ninja 300 becomes more glaring, for about 2.5 lacs extra see how much more of a motorcycle you are getting(with just missing on the fairing bit)
Old 14th July 2017, 12:40   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtheK View Post
Compare the Z650 with Ninja 300, and the atrocious pricing of Ninja 300 becomes more glaring, for about 2.5 lacs extra see how much more of a motorcycle you are getting(with just missing on the fairing bit)
I agree but the Ninja 300 is a keeper. Z650 would carry that perception unless you aren't a frequent rider and love the adrenaline drawn out of superbikes.

The mid and top of Ninja 300 is very strong compared to the other 300s that you can munch miles for hours together comfortably.

Cheers,
Amey
Amey Kulkarni is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2017, 16:55   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amey Kulkarni View Post
I agree but the Ninja 300 is a keeper. Z650 would carry that perception unless you aren't a frequent rider and love the adrenaline drawn out of superbikes.

The mid and top of Ninja 300 is very strong compared to the other 300s that you can munch miles for hours together comfortably.

Cheers,
Amey
Agreed, but would have been good if Kawa had revised the price for Ninja 300 also, or atleast introduced the bike with ABS. 4.7 lacs is not exactly a small amount of money.
Old 11th April 2018, 12:33   #19
BHPian

Anyone bought this yet? Wanting to read some ownership reviews and any travelogues?
Old 18th October 2018, 00:32   #20
Team-BHP Support

2019 Z650 has been launched at 5.29L -

Kawasaki Z650 launched at Rs. 5.19 lakh-19er650h_44sbk1drf2cg_a.jpg
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th November 2019, 18:39   #21
Team-BHP Support

Z650 receives styling and functional updates for 2020 -

Quote:
Engine refinementscontribute to cleaner emissions and increased mid-range torque, new tyresoffer lighter handling, and a redesigned tandem seat offers increasedpassenger comfort. Sharp new styling, highlighted by a new LED headlight and TFT instrumentation, gives this 2nd generation Z650 an even stronger sugomi presence.
Old 23rd January 2020, 23:17   #22
BHPian

Finally got my Z650 !

Bloody happy with the purchase. I am not that smart to write a comprehensive guide on the bike but if anyone has any general questions I will do my best to answer.

Pros -

- Brilliant engine. Can potter around in heavy traffic without frying your legs. Upto 4k RPM the engine feels completely at ease going about traffic feeling like a commuter bike. I seriously feel like i am riding my FZ16 when going through traffic. It just doesn't feel like you are riding a bike capable of 200+ kph speeds when you keep the throttle in check. However if the rpms are around the 4k mark and you open the throttle then you better pray you are holding tight as the bike propels forward like a rocket and in a few seconds you are already at 130 kph+ when you were pottering around at 50 kph just a short time back. My wife almost fell off the bike when I gave it 3/4th throttle!

- Decent suspension. Soaks up bad roads pretty well but no match for an ADV bike. However ground clearance is a HUGE negative. More on that below

- Good gear shifter. Nicely slots into gear.

- Excellent handler. Can zip through traffic like a squid if anyone so desires. It hardly feels you are riding a 200 kg bike (wet weight approx) when moving through traffic. Can't wait to take this bike on some twisties. The excellent torque response also helps immensely to change direction with ease.

- Low seat height. Not a biggie for me since I am 6 feet but it feels nice to keep your legs fully planted on the ground. Good for shorter riders as well.

- Excellent weight distribution. Seriously don't know how this weighs 189 kg dry as it doesn't really feel that heavy at all. I stalled the bike twice and I pushed it for a bit and the bike didn't feel very heavy at all.

- Excellent brakes. I had to make one emergency braking maneuver when a dog darted in front of me and the bike never lost composure and brought down my speed almost instantly. The earlier Er6n was particularly bad in this aspect.

- Adjustable levers. Some more expensive bikes omit this very useful feature.

- Awesome looks. Very subjective but I everyone who has seen the bike was impressed with the looks. TBH I love this black colour with a little green over the previous two colour choices of 2017 and 2018.

Cons

- GROUND CLEARANCE. I hit 4 speed bumps in one day. 2 of them were when I was 2 up but the 2 I hit when I was riding single didn't strike me as particularly bad. It's heart wrenching to hear a big thud as the silencer hits the speed bump. Unforutantely aside from changing the entire exhaust system there is nothing I can do to solve this problem. Only saving grace is that 90% of the time I will be riding solo. If you ever think your city has lots of speed bumps I wouldn't recommend this bike. Its the single biggest negative that can be a real deal breaker.

- Exhaust note. Seriously it sounds like a slightly better rickshaw. When I hear an in line 4 engine note it makes my heart sing. This engine note doesn't strike anyone's fancy. That is a blessing in disguise though as squids don't bother you much on this bike. They mistake it for a Dominar mostly. When I test rode the Ninja 400 it came with an Akrapovic silencer and twice some squid on a Duke started trying to race me and gave me a disappointed look when I didn't respond. Can be aliveated to some extent with an exhaust change but the design of the bike is such that you can't install a slip on exhaust. You need to upgrade the entire exhaust system which means you should also get an ECU and a remap which is quite an expense.

- Halogen headlights. When an Activa has LED headlights it feels strange that since 2017 Kawasaki has failed to put LED lights on this bike. The 2020 version finally includes LEDs. Thankfully its a pretty easy fix and it won't cost you much as an LED bulb is a direct fitment. Only the glass is meant for halogen bulbs so the light scatter won't be optimal.

- Rearview mirrors. They are just bad. I tried my level best to adjust them but honestly I prefer my FZ16 mirrors to these. Simply pathetic such a bike has bad mirrors.

- Engine vibrations. Being a Japanese bike I expected a smoother engine. Right now in the running in period its pretty rough once you go up the rev range. However I am not supposed to exceed 4k rpm which is very hard to not do when you see an open road in front of you. The test bike I rode was far smoother but even then around 4k rpm there was a buzz from the engine and noticeable.

- Rider seat and pillion seat. The seats are pretty poor. Not as bad as my old FZ16 but I had some back pain after my 1 and half hour ride on the bike. I need to look at the air or gel seats for longer rides. The pillion seat is particularly bad. My wife refuses to sit on the bike for anything more than 2 - 3 kms.

Final thoughts

Was this my dream bike ?

Not entirely. My dream bike would be a bike the MV Agusta Brutale or a Monster 821. Those bikes can make me weak in the knees whenever I see them in the flesh. The Z900 is also an amazing bike but sadly all were out of budget. But the Z650 is the more practical bike dream.

Why Z650 instead of Ninja 650 ?

Price ! The Z650 with discount was almost 1 lakh cheaper. Plus the Z650 is my only bike so I need something that can easily get me through traffic. If you tour a lot get the Ninja 650. The Z650 has a lot of wind blast on the highways. I won't be doing any uber touring so it doesn't affect me much.

Why Z650 rather than Benelli or any Triumph ?

Again price ! The Z650 was much cheaper than either the 600i or the Speed Twin which I loved. Also Benelli is not a good company for service related issues.

Final thoughts -

I paid 5.5l on road for this bike in Mumbai. For the price its a very good deal for a brand new bike. I haven't used it much so will update if I find any issues. But so far extremely happy with the bike. Even though I am 6 feet the bike suits me just fine. The Ninja 400 which I wanted to buy felt cramped for me in comparison so I dropped the idea of the Ninja 400.
bf1983 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 24th January 2020, 00:29   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bf1983 View Post
Finally got my Z650 !
Congratulations! One of the best vfm machines for the kind of rides you want to do - city and the odd occasional highway (& twisty) runs.

Quote:
- GROUND CLEARANCE. I hit 4 speed bumps in one day. 2 of them were when I was 2 up but the 2 I hit when I was riding single didn't strike me as particularly bad. It's heart wrenching to hear a big thud as the silencer hits the speed bump. Unforutantely aside from changing the entire exhaust system there is nothing I can do to solve this problem. Only saving grace is that 90% of the time I will be riding solo. If you ever think your city has lots of speed bumps I wouldn't recommend this bike. Its the single biggest negative that can be a real deal breaker.
Well, you'll get used to spotting a bump/breaker from a mile away. This is a weakness I agree, but not something that's a deal-breaker. I've ridden my Z in our city bad roads and trust me, it's something you'll get better at with each and every ride! With pillion, yes, it is going to be a 'Roadies task' to come out unscathed. But the exhaust pretty much is bullet-proof in build quality. So with regular riding, one can go slow on the bumps (with a +1) and it won't be that big a 'thud'

Quote:
Exhaust note. Seriously it sounds like a slightly better rickshaw. When I hear an in line 4 engine note it makes my heart sing. This engine note doesn't strike anyone's fancy. That is a blessing in disguise though as squids don't bother you much on this bike...You need to upgrade the entire exhaust system which means you should also get an ECU and a remap which is quite an expense.
A full system exhaust actually can solve your ground clearance issue. The cheapest is the MIVV MK3 (upswept style) for 45k and then the better sounding Scorpion at 55k. Being a parallel twin, even with these (or even the 90k Akrapovic) the sound isn't going to be anywhere close to the Inline 4 or the V-twins/270 degree sound. I prefer the stock sound because, as you rightly pointed out, one can actually fly under the radar! On the highway/cruising speeds, it become silent and you actually wonder if you're riding or not!

Quote:
- Rearview mirrors. They are just bad. I tried my level best to adjust them but honestly I prefer my FZ16 mirrors to these. Simply pathetic such a bike has bad mirrors.
Interesting you point this out because I never had any issues with the rvm. They are pretty solid with hardly 1-2% vibes between 3-4k RPM (More on this below). But then I've never ridden an FZ. Haha.

Quote:
- Engine vibrations. Being a Japanese bike I expected a smoother engine. Right now in the running in period its pretty rough once you go up the rev range. However I am not supposed to exceed 4k rpm which is very hard to not do when you see an open road in front of you. The test bike I rode was far smoother but even then around 4k rpm there was a buzz from the engine and noticeable.
It'll get smoother once the initial run-in is done in the manner prescribed. There is going to be some vibes around 3-4k RPMs, which is something that you'll get used to. But the engine won't lug. The Kawasaki 650s are one of the most smooth engines and the power at the throttle is going to surprise you each and every time!

Quote:
- Rider seat and pillion seat. The seats are pretty poor. Not as bad as my old FZ16 but I had some back pain after my 1 and half hour ride on the bike. I need to look at the air or gel seats for longer rides. The pillion seat is particularly bad. My wife refuses to sit on the bike for anything more than 2 - 3 kms.
Agree completely on the seats. I commute mostly with a pillion and hence I've modified the seats a little bit (raised the height via cushion foam) and made the pillion seat a bit 'wider' - keeping the shape the same. The back pain might also be because of your height - the slight forward stance can strain the lower back if riding without breaks.

Congratulations once more! This one is definitely a keeper!
TheVaas is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th January 2020, 08:58   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Finally got my Z650 !

I paid 5.5l on road for this bike in Mumbai. For the price its a very good deal for a brand new bike. I haven't used it much so will update if I find any issues. But so far extremely happy with the bike. Even though I am 6 feet the bike suits me just fine. The Ninja 400 which I wanted to buy felt cramped for me in comparison so I dropped the idea of the Ninja 400.
Congrats on the bike sir. That is quite a good deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVaas View Post
Interesting you point this out because I never had any issues with the rvm. They are pretty solid with hardly 1-2% vibes between 3-4k RPM (More on this below). But then I've never ridden an FZ. Haha.
Maybe his issue with the mirrors is due to his size rather than any vibrations.

Last edited by JithinR : 24th January 2020 at 09:00.
Old 24th January 2020, 11:20   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JithinR View Post
Congrats on the bike sir. That is quite a good deal.

Maybe his issue with the mirrors is due to his size rather than any vibrations.
Thanks Jithin !

And please sir is for my father I am still young (at heart at least !)

And you are bang on. Vibrations aren't the matter I can see a lot of myself in the mirror and I would prefer to see more traffic instead ! Maybe I need mirror extenders.

Quote:
Congratulations! One of the best vfm machines for the kind of rides you want to do - city and the odd occasional highway (& twisty) runs.
Thank you !

Quote:
Well, you'll get used to spotting a bump/breaker from a mile away. This is a weakness I agree, but not something that's a deal-breaker. I've ridden my Z in our city bad roads and trust me, it's something you'll get better at with each and every ride! With pillion, yes, it is going to be a 'Roadies task' to come out unscathed. But the exhaust pretty much is bullet-proof in build quality. So with regular riding, one can go slow on the bumps (with a +1) and it won't be that big a 'thud'
Yes hopefully ill become a speedbreaker expert soon and can judge which are the bad speed breakers and which aren't. Towards the end of my commute yesterday I felt I was beginning to understand which speed breakers would be an issue.

Quote:

A full system exhaust actually can solve your ground clearance issue. The cheapest is the MIVV MK3 (upswept style) for 45k and then the better sounding Scorpion at 55k. Being a parallel twin, even with these (or even the 90k Akrapovic) the sound isn't going to be anywhere close to the Inline 4 or the V-twins/270 degree sound. I prefer the stock sound because, as you rightly pointed out, one can actually fly under the radar! On the highway/cruising speeds, it become silent and you actually wonder if you're riding or not!
Good point. Yes I think its not worth spending so much for just getting a louder sounding bike and its an illegal modification to boot so not worth the hassle.

Quote:

Yes I wasn't very clear but the mirrors I can see more of myself and I am not a narcissist so would prefer to see more of traffic instead of myself :P

Quote:
It'll get smoother once the initial run-in is done in the manner prescribed. There is going to be some vibes around 3-4k RPMs, which is something that you'll get used to. But the engine won't lug. The Kawasaki 650s are one of the most smooth engines and the power at the throttle is going to surprise you each and every time!
Oh yes I had ridden the test bike which was fully run in and was much smoother and that is when I fell in love with the Z650 and I changed my mind about getting the Ninja 400 instead

Wonderful engine.

Quote:
Agree completely on the seats. I commute mostly with a pillion and hence I've modified the seats a little bit (raised the height via cushion foam) and made the pillion seat a bit 'wider' - keeping the shape the same. The back pain might also be because of your height - the slight forward stance can strain the lower back if riding without breaks.

Congratulations once more! This one is definitely a keeper!
Ah yes and you installed the X300 handlebars as well ! Yes will definitely keep that in mind. Comfort is a big deal when riding so we should definitely take steps to address that.

Since you are also from Mumbai could you let me know from where you did your seat work from ? Thanks
bf1983 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th January 2020, 20:57   #26
BHPian

Quote:

Ah yes and you installed the X300 handlebars as well ! Yes will definitely keep that in mind. Comfort is a big deal when riding so we should definitely take steps to address that.

Since you are also from Mumbai could you let me know from where you did your seat work from ? Thanks
I did it from a recommended guy in Thane (closer to the Thane dealership since I service my bike there). But you can get it done from a good seat maker, closer to wherever you reside/located and you can customize it according to your height and body/weight etc.

From personal experience - ride the bike more in different conditions (city and highway), get to know what works for you and what doesn't and then look at any kind of modification/customizations etc.

PS: I cannot send you a PM yet else would've shared the contact of the seat-maker.
TheVaas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th January 2020, 08:01   #27
BHPian

Thanks. Yes I think I should think clearly what I want/need after using the bike for some time. As of now the seat is the biggest grouse but ill try an air seat first before doing potentially seat damaging modifications.
Old 11th August 2020, 16:16   #28
BHPian

Not sure where exactly to post this so posting it here.

My bike is now 6 months old and the service center asked me to bring it down for servicing. I informed them I haven't even done 2000 kms due to the lockdown and so I want to delay the service and they told me if I delay service I will lose my warranty.

Just wanted to know whether its a good idea to do the service anyways now or defer it for another month or two. I don't want to lose my warranty but at the same time I feel its useless to do the service when the running is so less.

The bike is in perfect working condition as I do ride it a few kms every week to keep it in running. TIA
Old 11th August 2020, 16:28   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Not sure where exactly to post this so posting it here.
Just do the oil change. And ask them to bill you only for oil change labour. Its a rate mentioned on a chart. Dont do anything else. Dont even call it second service. Just say oil change. No wash, no chain lube, no nothing. New oil and new oil filter and get outta there.
Red Liner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2020, 16:32   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Just do the oil change. And ask them to bill you only for oil change labour. Its a rate mentioned on a chart. Dont do anything else. Dont even call it second service. Just say oil change. No wash, no chain lube, no nothing. New oil and new oil filter and get outta there.
Good advice. I think ill do that. Thanks !

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks