Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th December 2017, 10:29   #46
Senior - BHPian

re: The Brothers' Triumph Bonneville T120

Quote:
Originally Posted by FasterSon View Post
Hi Hari,
I would like to tour but don't find time coz of my work and a young family.
My regular highway days are numbered since I am planning to move back to mysore. I am thinking of trading my Harley for a t120.

Should I buy t100 and save money? Will the torque on t100 satisfy?
How about used triumph bikes?
I would advise you against buying T100 over the T120 simply cause the T100 begs for a 6th gear! I've been riding a Street Twin for a couple of months now and 2 trips to Lonavala tell me that it just isn't fun after the 100kmph mark cause the engine begs to be set free. I know your touring / highway days are limited but that is exactly why they need to be fun each time you go out! I can tell you that you will miss the Harley all the more if you get a T100. T100 is perfect for city - perfect stance, manageable engine heat and great low down torque to weave through the traffic. But once out on the highway, it feels like a horse on a tight leash.

Used triumph bikes - hell yeh! You save some serious money to get those upgrades you would like. But T120 is as elusive as the speed triple. So you will need to hunt around a fair bit.
Attached Thumbnails
The Brothers' Triumph Bonneville T120-20171104_093634.jpg  

Last edited by Nilesh5417 : 10th December 2017 at 10:34.
Nilesh5417 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th December 2017, 17:49   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FasterSon View Post
Hi Hari,
Droolworthy bike. I too am a sucker for the classics and nostalgia. I started out with a rx100 in the late 90's, I presently have a r15, a Harley superlow and a classic yezdi plonked with a roadking engine.
I use my bikes daily for office commute.
I would like to tour but don't find time coz of my work and a young family.
My regular highway days are numbered since I am planning to move back to mysore. I am thinking of trading my Harley for a t120.
Hi FasterSon!
Apologies for the late reply. Thank you for the nice words of encouragement. My bike is currently at 7,800 odd kms and it has been a pleasure to ride it. The only "mod" I have completed on the bike is getting the Outex conversion kit. So now I ride without having to think of a puncture.
Coming to your questions -

Will I miss Harley on the highways?
I have only ridden my friends 883 for a very very short time and did not like it one bit. I felt there were too many vibrations. The T120 is a mile muncher and will eat up any highway. For reference, at about 3,500RPM, 6th gear the bike will be at 130Kmph. Initially the feeling is unreal but now I am used to it. Remember, the faster you go, the more you are at risk. Also, the wind blast can be bothersome (I use 3M ear plugs and usually never go above 120). You WILL not remember the Harley, I promise

Will t120 suite my city need?
In B'lores famous KR Puram traffic during peak summer, the bike does generate heat. But it wont burn your skin or trousers. I am guessing Mysore is much much better that way. The GC is reduced by about 10mm by adding the bashplate/sump guard but I have not scraped any speed breakers yet. On my brothers street twin - GC is much lower and with a pillion it will add to your woes. Nothing that you cant over come by riding slow and/or taking the long way home (avoiding the speed humps). The T120 is an excellent overall bike and can take any roads one may throw at it

Do you suggest any other combination of bikes for me??
I am not sure of other bikes as I had only wanted the Bonne since forever. But there are plenty of options including the Kawi Z900RS, RE650 twin etc etc

I am thinking triumph will come up with a showroom in mysore in near future.
Yes I have heard the same too! There is a service center already there if I am not wrong. Mangalore already has a showroom now. This wont be an issue as service intervals (other than the first at 800kms) are large and even if nothing comes up in Mysore, you can ride over the weekend to B'lore and get it done - a yearly exercise I am guessing looking at your mileage in and around Mysore

Should I buy t100 and save money? Will the torque on t100 satisfy?
The torque on all the three modern classics are more than enough to satisfy you. I somehow find being silly and stupid on a street twin is easier than the T120 owing to the T120's extra weight. The T100 is for someone who would want the retro looks without the 1200 HT engine. I would suggest the street twin over the T100 and save a lot more money

How about used triumph bikes?
Used bikes are always a grey area for me. I can never be at peace thinking of owning a pre-loved bike. You may look around to find one that suits you because you never know you may end up finding a diamond

Lastly, since you have already kitted out your Harley and it looks like you have all the accessories etc on it you have to keep in mind that you may need to add all of that on the Bonne. My humble opinion would be that you keep your Harley and enjoy riding with it and avoid the bumpy roads. You will be better off working with what you have than spending money on a new bike and then kitting it out. You will also lose money when you sell the superlow and I do not think you should - since you have such a great experience with it. As long as the bike makes you smile adding another minute to warm her up is irrelevant (I warm my bike up too before my commute). I know this is a confusing time for you but please do ping me if you have any more queries.
Btw when I come to Mysore, you owe me a 'Hanumanthu Pulav'
HariRE350 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th December 2017, 14:57   #48
BHPian

[quote=Nilesh5417;4319834]I would advise you against buying T100 over the T120 simply cause the T100 begs for a 6th gear!

Exactly what I wanted to know. I have had these experiences right from those college days of wondering is this is all! I will rule out t100. Thanks a lot Nilesh bhai.

Getting a used bike sometimes feels like 'parasthree!' to me! Ha ha Mixed feelings!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HariRE350 View Post
Hi FasterSon!
Apologies for the late reply.

Btw when I come to Mysore, you owe me a 'Hanumanthu Pulav'
Thank you for the reply. I was wondering if my queries seemed odd.
Difficulty with harley in slow traffic is with half clutching due to narrow gear ratios in lower gears. Half clutching after a short while makes rpm (and along with it the sound) goes up on fully engaging the clutch when changing gears or when at traffic signals.

But it's true that I would end up spending by wanting to mod my ride to suit my comfort. Harley does vibrate in standstill but they iron out on the run. Refined is not the word I am going to use but it is fairly soothing. Superlow is very flickable. Changing the air filter, exhaust and mapping makes the 883 Harley a different bike. Add to it the suspension and seat mods, it's a very capable highway ride. Windscreen is very effective because of low riding position. I like all the mass in the bike because it makes it stable and it ploughs through windy or rainy scenes.

In the city (read as Serial traffic signals and our residential area roads with a hump at the entry and exit, usual undulations) is where the Harley draws a blank. It becomes more like Hulk, bit angry! In constant moving but slowish traffic, it does very well though, threading through slow scooters and cars and mingles well with the yamahas pulsars and dukes.
This is where I want to know if t120 does well. Some stretches of open road, and then some Frequent gear changes through traffic and through residential roads. Day after day, ride after ride does the refinement hold steady? I mean does the fueling and rpm seem smooth? The chain and sprockets stay smooth? Brakes behave well? Used for 10kms rides 2times a day (sometimes 4times a day) for, say 3 or 4 days a week. I use bikes on 6-7 days a week.

Well I made it clear myself. I need a commuter. A nice one. Something which can induce confidence in my patient's minds too when I arrive on it to the hospital!
By 2020, Indian bike availability scene promises to change drastically right?

Hari, you will be offered more than hanumanthu special when I can be in mysore!
Old 16th May 2019, 11:23   #49

Hi, I've read through the entire thread and just can't help but ask ,how's the ride been since the last update. Costs incurred, service experience and rides you've taken . It would be amazing to know. I'm sorry for being forward. It's just that ,this was the only ownership review I have come across for the t120.

Regards and God speed
Downshift7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2022, 19:36   #50
BHPian

Re: The Brothers' Triumph Bonneville T120

Quote:
Thank you BlackPearl. We are set to give the bikes for the 800KM service on Wednesday. I am totally satisfied with the levels of service I have received before and after buying these beauties.
Hi Hari,
Wanted to know on the long-term ownership of your beauty. I am right now looking into two options - Speed Twin 900 and T120. My heart says T120 and i am sure I will not repent it other than the tube Tyres.
Speed Twin 900 appears a little more aggressive than his brother. However, could not get a hands-on Test drive for ST. I did a TD for T120. I fell in love immediately.

Quote:
Usage in day to day traffic - I take my bike to office at least once a week. ...
Suspension - Suspension is medium and doesn't bounce around even when riding two up. Potholes and our famous speed bumps are not an issue as I haven't scraped the bash plate even once
How is the experience post a long-term ownership?

Quote:
Behaviour at high speeds in straight line and while cornering - In a straight line this is nothing short of a diesel engine. I would highly recommend a test ride to feel the torque. It will rip your arms off of the handlebar. In a corner she is a little shy and doesn't turn in as quickly as the street twin owing to its weight. Also, the footpegs touch ground because of the different rake angle
ah... I thought it was in my imagination that i could not turn freely like i do in my RE TB-350, it was resisting when i took upon a curved road when i did a test drive. I could not really pinpoint what it was but in city traffic on a curved road i felt it, so I was wondering on highway curves how does it do? Do we reduce speeds every time a curve is hit upon?

Is this something you had overcome after practice? How is it to drive on mountain twisties?

Quote:
Accessories planned - Triumph/Dart Flyscreen, Saddle bag stays (since we already have saddle bags)
Did you manage to fix this accessory and was there any buffeting or was it an irritant on high speeds in the highways?

Quote:
I will keep the thread updated with my service experience slated for Wednesday. Happy and safe riding, till then.
Believe it almost 5 years now. How is the cost of ownership and pain points in terms of the spare parts. How did you handle situations where there was a puncture?

Eagerly awaiting the response. Well Anyone else in the group who owns a T120 please do share your experience as well.
Old 1st December 2022, 22:14   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrainyLad View Post
Hi Hari,
Wanted to know on the long-term ownership of your beauty. I am right now looking into two options - Speed Twin 900 and T120. My heart says T120 and i am sure I will not repent it other than the tube Tyres.
Speed Twin 900 appears a little more aggressive than his brother. However, could not get a hands-on Test drive for ST. I did a TD for T120. I fell in love immediately.

How is the experience post a long-term ownership?

ah... I thought it was in my imagination that i could not turn freely like i do in my RE TB-350, it was resisting when i took upon a curved road when i did a test drive. I could not really pinpoint what it was but in city traffic on a curved road i felt it, so I was wondering on highway curves how does it do? Do we reduce speeds every time a curve is hit upon?

Is this something you had overcome after practice? How is it to drive on mountain twisties?
> 100% addictive. Cornering will obviously be better in the street/speed twin in a 1on1 comparo. The smaller front wheel and rake angle make a difference. the T120 can still do it, you just need to get used to it. Of course a better set of tyres will make a difference. The stock pirellis are rubbish. Not sure if the same is being offered.

Did you manage to fix this accessory and was there any buffeting or was it an irritant on high speeds in the highways?
> I usually cruise at 100 to 120kmph and do not see the need to go over this at any time. The Dart Piranha is more than sufficient to direct wind onto the top of my helmet. I am 5'8 and it works perfectly. There are several options available from triumph itself with a large surface so do check them out. I have seen folks using a large windshield but ends up ruining the classic look. to each his own I guess. The saddlebag stays are perfect for my cramster saddlebags. I dont like over complicated givi or hardcases/boxes whatever they are called. I have ridden extensively with these saddlebags and they work like they used to on my CL350. Tether them to the rear footpegs and you are ready to ride.

Believe it almost 5 years now. How is the cost of ownership and pain points in terms of the spare parts. How did you handle situations where there was a puncture?

Eagerly awaiting the response. Well Anyone else in the group who owns a T120 please do share your experience as well.
> Please please test drive both. Several times, before you make up your mind. This is crucial as you will live with the bike. Ensure the dealer makes on available to you. Test ride it in several conditions, heavy traffic, straight roads etc

> The speed twin is the 1200cc engine. Are you referring to the street twin 900cc? If you are choosing between the T120 and the Speed Twin, blindly go for the speed twin. It has tubeless wheels, a slightly committed seating position and a better sounding exhaust. If these two are not a deal breaker, the T120 is still the OG.

> I have run 40,000kms of pure bliss (albeit the 0 running during covid). Not a single issue and still runs like brand new. I changed my chain and sprocket kit at 36K kms. I have not made any mods other than adding a meerkat X-pipe to bring out a sweet rumble. I still have the stock pea shooter exhausts installed. To make it louder I will need to change to a Remus or anything else in the market. Probably some time later. The service has been smooth, now that I have run out of the dealer warranty, I will be servicing it at a reliable 3rd party person. The distance to the service centre is a pain for me. I stay in North Blr and going all the way to urvashi theatre are is a pain!
Regular service costs me about 20K if all three brake pads are replaced. I have had no issues with any parts availability. You can always search parts by part numbers and get them shipped via the global website or through Kochi/Hyderabad dealers. Almost forgot, I added the DRL cruise control module this year. I rode to goa last week and it is a game changer. The module is a simple On/Off switch and not overly complicated like ze german bikes. I think the new models of the T120 have this as stock but miss out on heated grips (you may need to check). They also lose the centre stand and grab rail. I am not sure why they decided to remove this.

> Ok so since i have ridden it a lot, I have gotten used to the weight and its superb on the corners. Downshift before entry, let the engine braking kick in and lean into the corner without throttle input, throttle out at curve exit. It makes me smile all the time.

> At the very beginning the first thing I did was to install the Outex kit. Costed me 13K approx for the kit and another 8K for installation of the tape. It worked for 3 years with minor leakage issues. But I was unhappy as it is not a permanent fix. I went in for another indian made solution called Way2Speed. Its a similar tech but way more effective and longer lasting. I can help you with this if you do buy the t120. the whole installation and liquid etc costed me under 10K. I would HIGHLY recommend this mod first for any tubed bikes. There are of course much expensive options of changing the whole wheels by Kineo etc. A simple google search will point you in the right direction. I still get a phenomenal 25KM/Ltr fuel economy and never had a breakdown or electronic failure.
Please let me know if there is anything else you need.

> My brother's street twin has been the same. Slightly lesser maintenance costs. We both got the major service done even though we had not run the required Kms. It involves changing the cam gasket, spark plugs, fork oil, air filter, fuel filter and engine oil. This costed 35K for my t120 and slightly lesser for the street twin. I have no problem with paying that much money since its a yearly affair (every service at 16,000Kms) and I ride approx that much a year.

Last edited by HariRE350 : 1st December 2022 at 22:17.
HariRE350 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2022, 00:00   #52
BHPian

Quote:
> Please please test drive both. Several times, before you make up your mind. This is crucial as you will live with the bike. Ensure the dealer makes on available to you. Test ride it in several conditions, heavy traffic, straight roads etc
Noted, shall request a TD for T120 and Speed Twin this weekend for a longer spin. Street twin, they do not have one for TD. Actually, I just sent across the message for the bike to be brought to me for TD. I tried Trident 660 since many had asked me to but nope.. not for me..

Quote:
>
> The speed twin is the 1200cc engine. Are you referring to the street twin 900cc? If you are choosing between the T120 and the Speed Twin, blindly go for the speed twin. It has tubeless wheels, a slightly committed seating position and a better sounding exhaust. If these two are not a deal breaker, the T120 is still the OG.
Keep forgetting that the name change was done recently and even my wife keeps asking me to say street twin . They recently changed the name of street twin to Speed Twin 900 which i was referring to. Sorry for the ignorant query - What does "OG" mean when you mention"the T120 is still the OG"

Quote:
>
> I have run 40,000kms of pure bliss (albeit the 0 running during covid). Not a single issue and still runs like brand new.
Thats a good one !! Love your appreciation for a classic. My very own restored RE Thunderbird 350 (AVL Engine, Kick starter 2005 yr model - They did not have an electric starter then).. 17 yrs and still chugging along with hiccups now. My very first purchase then with my earnings. Now looking for an upgrade. My wife says no to long drives with him now since he had to be towed in last time.
Name:  Thunderbird.png
Views: 379
Size:  817.2 KB

Quote:
>
I changed my chain and sprocket kit at 36K kms. ..... The distance to the service centre is a pain for me. I stay in North Blr and going all the way to Urvashi theatre is a pain!
I feel it. I have been in Bangalore for about 3 yrs with my RE and i know what you mean in terms of the traffic. I am from Chennai.

Quote:
>
Regular service costs me about 20K if all three brake pads are replaced. I have had no issues with any parts availability. You can always search parts by part numbers and get them shipped via the global website or through Kochi/Hyderabad dealers.
Thats satisfying!!

Quote:
>
Almost forgot, I added the DRL cruise control module this year. .... I think the new models of the T120 have this as stock but miss out on heated grips (you may need to check). They also lose the centre stand and grab rail. I am not sure why they decided to remove this.
Cruise control comes as standard but as you rightly mention - Centre stand and Heated grips are out of stock and are part of the accessory list.
I know why they decided to remove that ... Centre stand is 25k as accessory .. haha.. Triumph accessory

Quote:
>
> Ok so since i have ridden it a lot, I have gotten used to the weight and its superb on the corners. Downshift before entry, let the engine braking kick in and lean into the corner without throttle input, throttle out at curve exit. It makes me smile all the time.
Great tip, Thanks a lot!! my TB RE 350 it was always simple on the turns. Guess I need to get used to once i finalize and get this classic.

Quote:
>
> At the very beginning the first thing I did was to install the Outex kit. Costed me 13K approx....... I would HIGHLY recommend this mod first for any tubed bikes. There are of course much expensive options of changing the whole wheels by Kineo etc.
I will know the bike status on the weekend. Shall keep posted and let you know. If i take this bike I would approach on the mod for tubed bike options to you.

Quote:
>
Please let me know if there is anything else you need.
Thanks a lot Hari. Would do. I appreciate your detailed responses and your love for the classics. Will ping you over the weekend.

Quote:
>
> My brother's street twin has been the same. Slightly lesser maintenance costs..... I have no problem with paying that much money since its a yearly affair (every service at 16,000Kms) and I ride approx that much a year.
Glad to know that. Was any mod on street twin done by your brother to avoid the low GC issues? Any windshield he had put up for the wind blast?

Last edited by BrainyLad : 2nd December 2022 at 00:14. Reason: Forgot to add
BrainyLad is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th December 2022, 03:11   #53
BHPian

Hi Hari, After long deliberations have booked the Cordovan Silver ice T120 Bonnie. Vehicle delivery is expected in another 10 days. Shall keep posted. Thanks for the inputs.
BrainyLad is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th March 2023, 21:54   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrainyLad View Post
Hi Hari, After long deliberations have booked the Cordovan Silver ice T120 Bonnie. Vehicle delivery is expected in another 10 days. Shall keep posted. Thanks for the inputs.
Any update on your Bonnie? Can't wait to see another new T120 on the thread. Please update
Old 24th April 2023, 20:16   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aveoman19 View Post
Any update on your Bonnie? Can't wait to see another new T120 on the thread. Please update
Hey Aveoman,
My sincere apologies for not responding. After a couple of delays in the accessories (The important stuffs) due to Christmas holidays, I had finally my T120 Cordovon Silver delivered to me on 13-Jan. Currently ~3800kms done, it still gives me a grin when I start it. Been putting off the initial ownership review which I think will hit it this weekend. Shall let you know. .. First service completed at 980 kms. Enjoying every moment with it.
BrainyLad is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks