Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports

Search this Thread
Old 29th April 2017, 19:14   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kailashnj View Post
Got most of the accessories fitted today on the bike.
Nice. Could you also share the price, source and make of these accessories?

Cheers...
Old 29th April 2017, 19:50   #32
BHPian

Re: My new ride - Kawasaki Versys 650

Quote:

Saddle Stay
Attachment 1634266

Top case base plate
Attachment 1634267

Swing arm slider and spool
Attachment 1634268

Frame slider and fork slider
Attachment 1634269

Frame slider from a different angle.
Attachment 1634270
I like the choice of the accessories you have added to the motorcycle. Can you mention the price as well?

Also with the old and the new model, how do you compare the color, somehow I liked the black one, are they still giving it in Black Color or is it only this scheme which is coming in 2017 model. Also I heard that in the previous model the headlights were not that effective, what is your say on this?

Thanks and Ride Hard and Ride Safe.
Old 29th April 2017, 20:08   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
Nice. Could you also share the price, source and make of these accessories? Cheers...
A Versys owner Sri ( IT guy) from Bangalore has a passion to build accessories and now have nearly made almost everything for the Versys and its started as a hobby for him ( builds these parts in his home back yard)

He sells them at throwaway prices ( imagine front fork sliders are just 700 or 800 bucks) and proceeds for the same go to non-profit organization

I have bought a few accessories from him ( Fork Sliders, Jack etc.)

An awesome guy and a great asset to our Versys group

Last edited by mobike008 : 29th April 2017 at 20:09.
mobike008 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 29th April 2017, 21:24   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Got most of the accessories fitted today on the bike. I call the bike Srified. Bangalore Versys owners will surely understand this.
Me too ordered all the necessary accessories from Sri, will be picking them up on Monday. Can't wait for the green V to come home.

By the way, nice detailed ownership report!
Old 30th April 2017, 01:15   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Nice. Could you also share the price, source and make of these accessories?

Cheers...
These accessories are from one of the Versys owner from Bangalore. I am not sure if I should tell all the prices here as people will get shocked and some can even get heart attacks if they spent lot on their accessories.

Still just a teaser - jack for 650 + shipping
Spools for again 650 + shipping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shivanshu View Post
I like the choice of the accessories you have added to the motorcycle. Can you mention the price as well?

Also with the old and the new model, how do you compare the color, somehow I liked the black one, are they still giving it in Black Color or is it only this scheme which is coming in 2017 model. Also I heard that in the previous model the headlights were not that effective, what is your say on this?

Thanks and Ride Hard and Ride Safe.
Headlights are equally bad as no changes there. I have mixed feelings on the colour. I don't understand the reasoning behind introducing only one colour for the bike. They should give both the colour options to buy. And yes to answer your question, now you can only buy the Green black combo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atul.ktm View Post
Me too ordered all the necessary accessories from Sri, will be picking them up on Monday. Can't wait for the green V to come home.

By the way, nice detailed ownership report!
Congrats on your V. Thanks for the kind words

Last edited by kailashnj : 30th April 2017 at 01:18.
kailashnj is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th April 2017, 11:46   #36
BHPian

Wow. Those frame sliders look pretty beefy. Are those made out of Delrin? Or some other type of plastic?

Too bad India never got the VStrom 650, great motor (gobs of torque) and lasts for miles. Can also repair it with a hammer and a leatherman.
Old 30th April 2017, 13:45   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhatman510 View Post
Wow. Those frame sliders look pretty beefy. Are those made out of Delrin? Or some other type of plastic?

Too bad India never got the VStrom 650, great motor (gobs of torque) and lasts for miles. Can also repair it with a hammer and a leatherman.
The vstrom is fuel injected last i checked, same as the versys.

What can be fixed with a hammer and a leatherman is a klr 650.

And kailash, i am sorry, i never wished you a great time with the versys. Have noticed your journey all the way to a cbr and then to the versys. Makes me feel old lol.

Have a great time mate, its a smashing bike for the road!
Red Liner is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th April 2017, 15:36   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
The vstrom is fuel injected last i checked, same as the versys.

What can be fixed with a hammer and a leatherman is a klr 650.

And kailash, i am sorry, i never wished you a great time with the versys. Have noticed your journey all the way to a cbr and then to the versys. Makes me feel old lol.

Have a great time mate, its a smashing bike for the road!

KLR 650 is more of dual sport bike (knobbies, slightly higher). Yes its even more of a basic bike than the Versys, but its also carbureted.

Would think after 20 yrs on the US market they would go FI, but quite a lot of dual sport bikes in the US are carbed.
Old 1st May 2017, 08:05   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Got most of the accessories fitted today on the bike. I call the bike Srified. Bangalore Versys owners will surely understand this.
I like all accessories from Srivathsa except the frame slider as they a bit hideous and spoil the aesthetics of the bike.

I love his saddle stays but, I'm a top-case and tank bag man so they wont interest me.....Anything that hampers handling is not for me!

But, all his protectors at those prices are just unbelievable and when I met him in Bangalore he came out as a very simple and humble guy

Quote:
It is also going to be my upgrade from the Himalayan for a bullet proof machine to tour inter-country.
So have you honed down to the Versys? Did you get a chance to test ride?
mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st May 2017, 10:54   #40
Senior - BHPian

Congrats, a great buy. Though the new colour scheme looks good, I prefer the old simple black colour scheme.

I ride a CBR 250 and am interested in Versys. I love CBR 250 for its versatility - a comfortable bike for city as well as highway, the gearing more suited for highway.

As you have owned both the bikes, it would be helpful if you can answer the following questions:

1. How easy is it to use Versys in bumper to bumper traffic with sneaking through small gaps?
2. How is the riding position compared to CBR? The slight committed position of CBR is giving me shoulder pain on long rides. So I prefer a more upright position.

I am 6' 2" tall, so the seat height of Versys is not an issue for me at all. Thanks

Last edited by PatienceWins : 1st May 2017 at 10:55.
Old 1st May 2017, 11:11   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Allow me to butt in and answer this question. Kailash can add and also answer your other queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatienceWins View Post
1. How easy is it to use Versys in bumper to bumper traffic with sneaking through small gaps?
Despite it's size the Versys can dart in and out of traffic like any light, thin motorcycle. It's agile and addictive for these maneuvers

However, I would not recommend as it's not a good idea to slip in and out of vehicles even if the motorcycle allows with ease as its risky and not a good practice. But, there are times when some of these maneuvers are mandatory (especially during overtaking times) and depending on rider ability, it can slip in and out like an eel
Old 1st May 2017, 15:00   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatienceWins View Post

2. How is the riding position compared to CBR? The slight committed position of CBR is giving me shoulder pain on long rides. So I prefer a more upright position.

I am 6' 2" tall, so the seat height of Versys is not an issue for me at all. Thanks
Thanks for the kind words.

1. Versys is good bike for both city as well as highway and it will allow you to sneak in between the traffic. Though two things that I would like to point out here, first its risky to do what are asking and second - you should not compare the CBR and Versys. CBR is very light as compared to Versys so you will enjoy CBR more in bumper to bumper traffic.

2. Riding position on CBR is slight committed and Versys is just best. You sit upright and is the best suited for touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
I like all accessories from Srivathsa except the frame slider as they a bit hideous and spoil the aesthetics of the bike.

I love his saddle stays but, I'm a top-case and tank bag man so they wont interest me.....Anything that hampers handling is not for me!

But, all his protectors at those prices are just unbelievable and when I met him in Bangalore he came out as a very simple and humble guy

So have you honed down to the Versys? Did you get a chance to test ride?
I agree to the fact that the frame sliders are hideous but they are very functional. Also they help as a foot rest if you want to keep your feet for relaxing when you are on a long drive and the road is empty...

Also the price of the frame slider is just great only Rs 3500.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 1st May 2017 at 15:30. Reason: merged consecutive posts. Kindly utilize the QUOTE+ and EDIT functions within 30 minutes of submitting the first post instead of posting subsequently! Thanks! :)
kailashnj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2017, 10:27   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

Lets put this topic to rest once and for all and move on to Kailash's ride review.

Here's a video which tests the 2017 Versys and the presenter - who has been reviewing adventure bikes all his life goes on to say that the Versys IS an Adventure Tourer - no doubts about it.

There are many on our club who have taken this bike to Leh, Ladakh, the North East, Spiti etc and back without issue. Man handling the bike on our potholed roads is going to destroy any motorcycle - including a BWM GS.
Old 2nd May 2017, 10:58   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

Note from Mod : Guys, this is an ownership thread so please don't make it a ADV vs. Sports comparison thread. Next off-topic post will be deleted and member shall be infracted. Please stay on course
Old 3rd May 2017, 00:14   #45
BHPian

Update - May 1 Amby Valley ride.

On 30th night some of my friends called in to suggest a ride on 1st May to Amby Valley.

I was little skeptical to go due to the Mumbai heat, but the itch to ride and complete my kms (1000) made me go for the ride. We met at Airoli bridge at 6:00 am and left for lonavala. First stop was at Kamath's restaurant for breakfast. Reached Kamath's at 7:45am and spent an hour there eating the idlis and vadas.

I had forgotten my hydration bag and hence faced lot of issues. Even the morning sun was giving me issues. But the time spent at Kamath's helped me tremendously.

Then we went to Amby Valley and just loved the road there. People talk about Lavassa roads, but I think the road to Amby Valley is much better than Lavassa. The sweeping corners, fast lefts and rights and blind U turns, it has all that you want.

Bike handles like a charm on these roads and never did I feel the weight of the bike. Though I can't say the same for the brakes. They lack initial bite and you have to really press it hard to loose momentum. Due to this, I had some situation where I felt that I braked really late and could have fallen down. (Made a mental note not to push the bike in corners like I used to with the CBR and ride slow).

Return journey was even more hard due to Overhead Sun. Now I am sure that I will buy a mesh jacket for myself. Thinking of buying the Rynox GT AIR (any suggestions let me know)

Few observations
  • Need better tyres as they loose grip in mud
  • Brakes also need better bite
  • Mileage is good - 22 kmpl
  • Engine noise is little harsh at the moment but once you are in 5th gear and 4k RPM noise reduces.

One thing that I observed is that the AOH works. I have seen atleast 10 to 12 people informing me of the headlights are on during the day. I just nod to them and move on.

Some pictures from the ride

My new ride - Kawasaki Versys 650-img_20170501_090650.jpg

My new ride - Kawasaki Versys 650-img_20170501_090857.jpg

Look at the size of the bike, other two bikes look like dwarfs in front of Versys. Specially the RC
My new ride - Kawasaki Versys 650-img_20170501_092957.jpg

My new ride - Kawasaki Versys 650-img_20170501_093241.jpg

Need to desperately upgrade the headlights to better bulbs / led and aux too.

Last edited by kailashnj : 3rd May 2017 at 00:23.
kailashnj is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed