Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th April 2017, 10:35   #16
BHPian

Re: My new ride - Kawasaki Versys 650

Congratulations!, Kailashnj

The 2017 black/green colour scheme does look drool-worthy indeed and from you've mentioned in your review, its seems to be a fantastic ride as well.
The all Black Versys looks mean, but this one looks downright wicked. It is also reassuring to see double discs in the front and ABS.
Chick-magnet is a good thing man, but make sure you don't leave it out of your line of sight anytime.
I been wanting to have an adventure-tourer in addition to my current Bike. I am strongly inclined to take the plunge and go for the Versys 650 after reading this.
Great snaps!.

Keep riding and have fun.

Cheerio.
Old 28th April 2017, 12:35   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphadog View Post

I been wanting to have an adventure-tourer in addition to my current Bike. I am strongly inclined to take the plunge and go for the Versys 650 after reading this.
If you are looking for a sports Tourer then this is the right bike but if you are looking for an adventure Tourer and you buy a Versys then trust me you'll be not happy!! Just intervened as I saw that word Adventure!! No doubt it's a lovely bike but be sure of the service network of the same as of now the service and spares both are in a pathetic ( add superlative if any) condition.
bikerzindia is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th April 2017, 16:20   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerzindia View Post
If you are looking for a sports Tourer then this is the right bike but if you are looking for an adventure Tourer and you buy a Versys then trust me you'll be not happy!! Just intervened as I saw that word Adventure!! No doubt it's a lovely bike but be sure of the service network of the same as of now the service and spares both are in a pathetic ( add superlative if any) condition.
I see the words Sports Tourer and Adventure Tourer being used casually and interchangeably quite often on the forum.

Curious to know your views on what you think are the definitions of both

Also while sharing the above answer please also highlight which bike is a "Adventure Tourer" according to you that is available to purchase off-the shelf in India?

Last edited by mobike008 : 28th April 2017 at 16:21.
mobike008 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th April 2017, 17:23   #19
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

I am of the understanding that the Sports Tourer category would include bikes like the Yamaha FJR, Ducati Multistrada, BMW R 1200 etc. Adventure Tourer would include bikes like the Triumph Tiger, Kawasaki Versys, BMW GS etc.
Sports Tourers would have normal road tyres whereas Adventure would have dual purpose tyres.
Sports Tourers are meant for on road whereas Adv Tourer are meant for both.

To avoid a debate - it's not the motorcycle that defines if it's a Sports or Adv Tourer - it's the rider basically.
v12 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 28th April 2017, 17:56   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
I see the words Sports Tourer and Adventure Tourer being used casually and interchangeably quite often on the forum.

Curious to know your views on what you think are the definitions of both

Also while sharing the above answer please also highlight which bike is a "Adventure Tourer" according to you that is available to purchase off-the shelf in India?
My understanding of an Adventure Tourer is a bike which can take some bad roads, some no roads, some off roads and still be able to come out in a single piece not with bent rims, broken T stems, broken T stem Clamps, etc etc. Now I maybe dreaming of a non existent bike but Versys definitely is no where close to that Adventure Tourer tag. Versys is good for track like roads well tarred/concrete non potholed roads which here in India is only as I've seen in 2 places(Where bikes are allowed)
1) NICE Road Bangalore and
2) Yamuna Expressway
Please correct me if am wrong!!

Versys however fared pretty decent when the roads are continuously & consistently bad and that was a surprise to me like the non existent Highway connecting Assam to Tripura or the non existent roads of Lower Assam.
Old 28th April 2017, 18:18   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VishJ View Post
Woooww... The green colour in 2017 Versys looks super cool. Congratulations sir for your new green monster.
Thanks a lot and yes I do plan to clock many kms on the "Green Goblin"

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphadog View Post

The 2017 black/green colour scheme does look drool-worthy indeed and from you've mentioned in your review, its seems to be a fantastic ride as well.
This is a bike that you can take anywhere for sure but for it to become a true adventure tourer, you will need to make some changes. Like getting a good engine guard, all terrain tyres etc.

Quote:
Well now that the Kawasaki's divorce is officially complete, I have a feeling things might improve. But the service network has surely taken a big hit. This will be an issue for all those planning for long distance rides as not sure if you will get a service station at remote places. KTM/Kawasaki reach was far better. In fact in Mumbai it self we had 5 to 6 dealers and post divorce, its only 1 dealer. This leads to monopoly and that's why the rates of service labour has increased so much.

Quote:
My understanding of an Adventure Tourer is a bike which can take some bad roads, some no roads, some off roads and still be able to come out in a single piece not with bent rims, broken T stems, broken T stem Clamps, etc etc. Now I maybe dreaming of a non existent bike but Versys definitely is no where close to that Adventure Tourer tag. Versys is good for track like roads well tarred/concrete non potholed roads which here in India is only as I've seen in 2 places(Where bikes are allowed)
2) Yamuna Expressway

Versys however fared pretty decent when the roads are continuously & consistently bad and that was a surprise to me like the non existent Highway connecting Assam to Tripura or the non existent roads of Lower Assam.
Best adventure Tourer in India as per me is the Impulse, its just that the bike is under powered. If the bike had a 300CC engine and same weight as it is, Impulse could have ruled the roost.

Last edited by kailashnj : 28th April 2017 at 18:22.
Old 28th April 2017, 19:44   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kailashnj View Post
Me test riding the Tiger XCX
Attachment 1632593

Attachment 1632594
Let me at the outset congratulate you on the new bike and wish you many happy miles on it.

However, I'm really peeved by the fact that you went to the Tiger test ride with no consideration for riding gear whatsoever. In Bangalore, the Triumph Showroom refuses to offer test rides unless one is basic riding gear (Helmet, gloves, jacket and riding boots). I've seen many guys who come to the Showroom in their Khaki Shorts and sunglasses and throw a fit when they're refused a test ride. A major part of the reponsibility lies with the customers, to develop a better attitude towards safe biking.

Hope you take this in the right Spirit and suggest ATGATT!!
hifisharu is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th April 2017, 19:59   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hifisharu View Post
Let me at the outset congratulate you on the new bike and wish you many happy miles on it.

However, I'm really peeved by the fact that you went to the Tiger test ride with no consideration for riding gear whatsoever. In Bangalore, the Triumph Showroom refuses to offer test rides unless one is basic riding gear (Helmet, gloves, jacket and riding boots). I've seen many guys who come to the Showroom in their Khaki Shorts and sunglasses and throw a fit when they're refused a test ride. A major part of the reponsibility lies with the customers, to develop a better attitude towards safe biking.

Hope you take this in the right Spirit and suggest ATGATT!!
I appreciate the fact that you are concerned about safety. For me too its equally important and I don't go anywhere without my helmet, gloves, Jacket and shoes. Somehow that day, I was not expecting to ride the bike and I was travelling in my car.

So agreed feedback taken. Thanks for highlighting.
kailashnj is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th April 2017, 20:30   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v12 View Post
I am of the understanding that the Sports Tourer category would include bikes like the Yamaha FJR, Ducati Multistrada, BMW R 1200 etc. Adventure Tourer would include bikes like the Triumph Tiger, Kawasaki Versys, BMW GS etc.Sports Tourers would have normal road tyres whereas Adventure would have dual purpose tyres. Sports Tourers are meant for on road whereas Adv Tourer are meant for both.
Your list is confusing as both category bikes can be used as sports tourer as well as adventure touring bikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by v12 View Post
To avoid a debate - it's not the motorcycle that defines if it's a Sports or Adv Tourer - it's the rider basically.
Disagree! If a rider is capable of doing adventure touring then the bike also should support that activity

Quote:
2) Yamuna Expressway

Prado, you have contradicted yourself from first paragraph to second paragraph

You said Versys is good ONLY on 4-lane or nice roads and ended your post contradicting that Versys is pretty good on bad roads

Also, what you are expecting is totally unreasonable (Not to have broken rims, handle bar bends or any other breaking due to off-roading) as it all depends on what conditions you ride a machine.

I have seen examples of extreme offroaders like Duke 1290, Tiger 1200 Explorer and even the mighty GS have broken rims...Plenty of online videos around).

No motorcycle is unbreakable. After all, it's just a machine

Personal Example : The mighty Triumph Explorer 1200 of a friend with spoke wheels broke its rim because the owner would climb boulders and dump the bike in extreme conditions and not to mention he is a giant who would make the mighty Explorer look like a Luna when he sits on it.

An adventure bike is one that is capable of touring on normal tarmac as well as go into extreme conditions with ease (One off situations where it's components break is not a reference of it's offroading capability. Reference is how it handles the worst of the terrains)

Not sure where you read that Versys is an Adventure Tourer. It is not. Period!

It's a fantastic sport tourer with good abilities to do mild off-roading as well. And, not to mention it just demolishes bad roads

Hence, my point is there is a thin line between adventure touring and sport touring motorcycles as even sport touring machine can be converted to an adventure touring by making some subtle changes (Knobby tyres, slapping on an engine guard, radiator guard and other important protectors) and can be used for mild offroading.

Last edited by mobike008 : 28th April 2017 at 20:53. Reason: Some edits
mobike008 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th April 2017, 20:37   #25
Team-BHP Support

Sorry to butt in, but

Quote:
Adventure tourers[edit]

BMW R1200GS dual-purpose motorcycle
A recent type, the adventure touring motorcycle is a dual-sport motorcycle that allows long-range touring both on-road and off-road capabilities. Adventure tourers have high ground clearance (for off-road purposes), large fuel capacity, under-stressed engines for high reliability. They may have rugged GPS navigation systems, wire-spoked wheels with road-legal knobby tyres, skid plates (to protect the engine and transmission during off-road use), and tough metal panniers. Modified adventure tourers are sometimes used in gruelling rally events, such as the Dakar Rally. Mainstream adventure tourers include the best-selling BMW R1200GS, the KTM 990 Adventure series, the Triumph Tiger Explorers & XCs and Suzuki V-Strom 1000.
Although most modern adventure tourers are large capacity bikes, that has not always been so: the first winner of the Dakar Rally did so on a Yamaha XT500. An recent ultra-lightweight adventure tourer for solo riders that has received positive reviews is the CCM GP450. The Kawasaki KLR650 has also been classified as an adventure tourer, and OEM luggage is supplied by Kawasaki with this in mind. Newer entry-level adventure touring motorcycles also include the 410 cc Royal Enfield Himalayan.
Quote:
Sport tourers[edit]
Main article: Sport touring motorcycle
Sport tourers are a hybrid form of motorcycle between superbikes and tourers. Forming a niche market,[7] sport tourers combine the performance of a sport bike with the long-distance capabilities and comfort of a touring motorcycle. They exhibit much greater emphasis on sporting performance (in both handling and speed) than conventional tourers. Although Honda offers its ST1300 and two VFR sports-tourers, and BMW has GT, ST, RS, and RT models, most motorcycle manufacturers tend to offer a single sport tourer, such as the Triumph Sprint ST, the Yamaha FJR1300, the Kawasaki 1400GTR. Sports-tourers may feature hard luggage as a standard fitment or as an optional extra.
Source
Jaggu is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th April 2017, 22:40   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Raging debate on an ownership thread.

My definition of an adv tourer after having the ridden the wet dream versys for a year and finally sobered down is as below. Lets put down specifics.

1. Lightweight: 160 kgs wet tops so you can pick the damn thing up when alone at 12000 ft altitude.
2. Capacity for 60 litres of soft luggage on the rear. Less said about hard luggage the better.
3. Long touring 400 km fuel range. I prefer economy over a bigger fuel tank.
4. Long travel suspension for long days on the road. On the fly adjustable rear suspension. I dont care for an adjustable front, if its tuned well from the factory.
5. 19 inch front, and 17 inch rear for knobbies.
6. Solid service coverage all over India if an FI engine.
7. Ownership costs and spares are cheap on the run.
8. Bike is under 3 Lakhs on road. Spend another lakh for farkles.
9. Long oil change intervals (10-15k).

The proverbial unicorn (a.k.a the 390 Duke ADV) is yet to make an appearance.

All these tigers, versys, multistrada, and GS are eye candy in the garage. You'll need a massive wallet to be able to take one of these on a 2 month trip all over the country. Or you better know your way around the bike. Kawasaki bills are making my eyes water. Makes adv touring some kind of elitist hobby.

However, all above bikes are "perfect" for destination tours and get back home holidays. I myself am keen on a few - and wipe them off by bucket list, best done on a bike like this before I move on.

There is no other bike that provides as much value as the versys in India for long distance touring. It is just the Kawasaki/Bajaj fiasco which is rupturing many dreams.
Red Liner is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th April 2017, 23:11   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post

Disagree! If a rider is capable of doing adventure touring then the bike also should support that activity

Prado, you have contradicted yourself from first paragraph to second paragraph

You said Versys is good ONLY on 4-lane or nice roads and ended your post contradicting that Versys is pretty good on bad roads

Not sure where you read that Versys is an Adventure Tourer. It is not. Period!

It's a fantastic sport tourer with good abilities to do mild off-roading as well. And, not to mention it just demolishes bad roads
I never said Versys is an Adventure Tourer!! The guy who commented prior to my post said that he thinks that Versys is a good option for Adventure Tourer.

I still say Versys is Vulnerable System and not Versatile System as the Kawa advertise it to be!

I said that it fared pretty decent on 'consistently' bad roads and that was a surprise. Pretty decent doesn't mean good or awesome

People have taken Daytona R s as well as Hayabusa s on bad to no roads. That doesn't mean they are Adventure Tourer s.

Trust me it 'can not' demolish bad roads 'easily'. Take it to the North East or the road connecting Kota-Jhalawar-Biaora-Narsingarh-Kurawar-Bhopal or even the famous Adilabad stretch!!

And for the Brother who said it all depends on the rider, it surely does mostly depends on the rider but not many would be in right frame of mind to continue ride if their bike busted nor many are lucky to find help in an unknown terrain in a friend whom you just met a day before and that new friend lends you his awesomely modified bike (in my case) to complete your ride!
bikerzindia is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th April 2017, 10:20   #28
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Mod Note: Request to please stick to the topic, that is Kailashnj's Versys. Thanks!
GTO is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th April 2017, 11:32   #29
Senior - BHPian

Many many congratulations on the Kwaker Kailashnj. You have got a beautiful and capable bike there mate, so no need to get confused by some comments. It is a proven Sports Tourer the world over and has stood the test of time since many years. It is also going to be my upgrade from the Himalayan for a bullet proof machine to tour inter-country.

Also for the knuckle guards, I would advise you to go with the original Kawasaki ones rather than the Barkbusters. They are nearly the same cost and the OE ones come in black instead of the white aluminum frame of the barkbusters, which looks out of place. Also the front is color matched and Kawasaki branded which looks way cooler too.

Wishing you many a happy miles with the bike. Ride safe, ride fully geared.

Cheers...

Last edited by dkaile : 29th April 2017 at 12:01.
dkaile is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th April 2017, 19:08   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
For the knuckle guards, I would advise you to go with the original Kawasaki ones rather than the Barkbusters.

Wishing you many a happy miles with the bike. Ride safe, ride fully geared.

Cheers...
I will check the original Kawasaki knuckle guards.

Update

Got most of the accessories fitted today on the bike. I call the bike Srified. Bangalore Versys owners will surely understand this.

Saddle Stay
My new ride - Kawasaki Versys 650-20170429_172919.jpg

Top case base plate
My new ride - Kawasaki Versys 650-20170429_172927.jpg

Swing arm slider and spool
My new ride - Kawasaki Versys 650-20170429_172932.jpg

Frame slider and fork slider
My new ride - Kawasaki Versys 650-20170429_172939.jpg

Frame slider from a different angle.
My new ride - Kawasaki Versys 650-20170429_172950.jpg

I also got to see the older Versys real close by and hence tried to check what are the difference between them other than the colour. One thing that is adv by Kawasaki is the change in the design of the knobs for the front screen. Though other than the looks, I don't think there is any major change in the knobs. Though the nuts holding the front screen are lot better in the 2017 version.

Old versys knobs
My new ride - Kawasaki Versys 650-20170428_110812.jpg

2017 Versys knobs.
My new ride - Kawasaki Versys 650-20170428_110759.jpg

This is the console snap of the Old Versys and you can see that there is no Gear indicator. In this version, the fuel gauge is in vertical position.
My new ride - Kawasaki Versys 650-20170428_121236.jpg

In the 2017 edition, gear shift indicator is visible easily and to accommodate the gear indicator, fuel gauge is now horizontal at the bottom. Other than that I don't see much of a difference. The Clock is now better visible with the border around it. Looks good right.
My new ride - Kawasaki Versys 650-20170428_121249.jpg

Last edited by kailashnj : 29th April 2017 at 19:10.
kailashnj is offline   (14) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks