Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports

Search this Thread
Old 3rd May 2017, 09:01   #46
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: My new ride - Kawasaki Versys 650

Quote:
Originally Posted by kailashnj View Post
I had forgotten my hydration bag and hence faced lot of issues. Even the morning sun was giving me issues. But the time spent at Kamath's helped me tremendously.
And, Imagine last weekend rode the whole day in peak sun with temperature ranging from 42C with 50C with no hydration bag as I don't believe in that concept. I would rather carry a bottle of water or stop to buy fresh at a local store to quench my thirst

Quote:
Then we went to Amby Valley and just loved the road there. People talk about Lavassa roads, but I think the road to Amby Valley is much better than Lavassa. The sweeping corners, fast lefts and rights and blind U turns, it has all that you want.
Oh Yeah! That's one awesome road. I have driven on that road quite a few times and also stayed in Amby valley a couple of times (offsite) but, never on a motorcycle. I'm sure that 30kms from main road to Amby valley main gate is a lot of fun and some of that stretch reminds me of Isle of Man TT

Quote:
Though I can't say the same for the brakes. They lack initial bite and you have to really press it hard to loose momentum. Due to this, I had some situation where I felt that I braked really late and could have fallen down. (Made a mental note not to push the bike in corners like I used to with the CBR and ride slow)
Looks like I'm reading my own report...LOL! I said exactly the same when I bought the Versys. Initially the bite is slow and progressive but, the bite improves a lot after 2000kms after which you can enjoy some late braking too

Quote:
Few observations
  • Need better tyres as they loose grip in mud
  • Brakes also need better bite
  • Mileage is good - 22 kmpl
  • Engine noise is little harsh at the moment but once you are in 5th gear and 4k RPM noise reduces.
Dunlops are not that great for gravel but, they are very good for tarmac.

So be careful on gravel and dirt (especially watch the front as it will slip out much faster than rear)

Quote:
Look at the size of the bike, other two bikes look like dwarfs in front of Versys. Specially the RC
Love the size. It's a boon for big guys like me as I really need my space and now looking at compact bikes, I feel

Quote:
Need to desperately upgrade the headlights to better bulbs / led and aux too.
Don't waste money on Cyclops and such. Get a simple aux lights to augment the stock lights and you should be good as you Mumbai guys do a lot of night rides
mobike008 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2017, 10:37   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Look at the size of the bike, other two bikes look like dwarfs in front of Versys. Specially the RC
Attachment 1635485
Good ride there Kailash. The green V surely does makes it presence known really well.
atul.ktm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2017, 16:29   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post

Don't waste money on Cyclops and such. Get a simple aux lights to augment the stock lights and you should be good as you Mumbai guys do a lot of night rides
Advice taken, will only install the Aux lights. For the location of the aux, I am removing the number plate and will install it on the Windscreen. Hope I am not bothered by the cops for this but I feel that location is best fit for aux lights.
Old 3rd May 2017, 17:38   #49
BHPian

A friend has installed these lights on the Versys 650. The throw of these lights is very good for night rides. Saw this during our night rides in Rann of Kutch.
Here is the picture.
My new ride - Kawasaki Versys 650-imageuploadedbyteambhp1493813277.791785.jpg
Happysmiles is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th May 2017, 13:59   #50
BHPian

UPDATE:

Completed my first service from Anzen Kawasaki Mumbai. Reached Anzen at 9:30 am and was free by 12:30 pm.

Service done
Oil Changed
Oil Filter changed

Total Bill was for Rs 4099
My new ride - Kawasaki Versys 650-20170522_122217.jpg

Though I must say you should check your bill and should stay at the SVC as you never know they might charge you extra. Service cost is at per hour basis. Hence service centre guys try to add additional hours for example my first bill was with 1.5 hrs of labour time. When I pointed out that the actual work done on my bike was only 44 mins as I started my stop watch when the bike was taken up the ramp and stopped it when it was taken down from the Ramp, He corrected the bill. Still they charged me for 2 litres of engine oil where as only 1.8 litres of Oil goes in while servicing.

I changed the headlight bulbs on my bike. Installed H7 Philips Extreme Vision Plus 130% - Got these bulbs for 765 each from Amazon India. They are far better bulbs than the stock and that makes me wonder why cant Kawasaki give these bulbs as stock as they are already charging so much for the bike, I am sure they can absorb the cost of these bulbs.

Added AUX lights on the bike too which I bought from Amazon India.
My new ride - Kawasaki Versys 650-img_20170528_134801.jpg

Last edited by kailashnj : 28th May 2017 at 14:02.
kailashnj is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 28th May 2017, 18:24   #51
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Installed H7 Philips Extreme Vision Plus 130% - Got these bulbs for 765 each from Amazon India.
Does it make a good difference? I'm yet to change the stock bulbs. However, been looking for some good, yet cheap options which give a whitish throw that matches with that of the aux lights (yet to buy that too! )

Quote:
Added AUX lights on the bike too which I bought from Amazon India.
Attachment 1643170
That mounting looks a bit out of place on the bike IMHO. However, eagerly looking forward to your feedback on these lights. I had almost decided to go ahead with "Pandeyji" branded aux lights.
Old 28th May 2017, 19:02   #52
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
I had almost decided to go ahead with "Pandeyji" branded aux lights.

Feels like I have become a brand from a human being

Jokes aside, For 1500 bucks, it is outstanding value and you can do some daylight speeds even at dark with those lights. I am super happy with that purchase as rest of the Versys riders who have got them

Kailash : The H7's that you changed for INR 1500/- are whitish lights or they are stock yellow light? Appreciate if you can share some pictures of just the headlamps on and some pictures with aux and headlamps on

Also, dont forget to share aux lights throw in dark !
mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2017, 23:45   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Does it make a good difference? I'm yet to change the stock bulbs. However, been looking for some good, yet cheap options which give a whitish throw that matches with that of the aux lights (yet to buy that too! )
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post

Kailash : The H7's that you changed for INR 1500/- are whitish lights or they are stock yellow light? Appreciate if you can share some pictures of just the headlamps on and some pictures with aux and headlamps on

Also, dont forget to share aux lights throw in dark !
The philips Xtreme vision plus is stock light colour Yellow. Its better than stock bulbs but not in comparison to the LED lights. Yet the difference between the stock and these is positively evident.

Only Low beam
My new ride - Kawasaki Versys 650-20170528_211724.jpg

Low and high beam
My new ride - Kawasaki Versys 650-20170528_211730.jpg

Low Beam, High Beam and Aux lights
My new ride - Kawasaki Versys 650-20170528_211743.jpg

Please note this is not in fully dark area, as you can see that there are some building lights on.
kailashnj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th June 2017, 12:25   #54

Congratulations on the new Ride, awesome machine and you have done some tasteful modification. Had some quick questions for you :-) if you dont mind answering them.

1. wanted your opinion on how the bike would fare for a average built 5.7 person, is it easy to ride and maneuver.
2. how is the service and maintenance ( i am in New Delhi).

Thanks
Old 10th June 2017, 17:52   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumarvarun172 View Post
Congratulations on the new Ride, awesome machine and you have done some tasteful modification. Had some quick questions for you :-) if you dont mind answering them.

1. wanted your opinion on how the bike would fare for a average built 5.7 person, is it easy to ride and maneuver.
2. how is the service and maintenance ( i am in New Delhi).

Thanks
Thanks for the good wishes.

The bike is just awesome and you will never repent buying it.

I am myself 5.7 and don't face any problems with the seat height.
Service network is improving by the day. Though nothing as compared to the KTM time, Kawasaki is improving their service network. We do have few people in our group from Delhi and they have not complained about the service centres in Delhi.

Best would be though is to take a test ride and check for yourself how the bike is. I am sure you will be floored by its versatility.
kailashnj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2017, 14:50   #56
BHPian

some TLC for the bike last Sunday. The final results for all to see.

Shampoo and Waxing
My new ride - Kawasaki Versys 650-20170604_152313.jpg

Cleaned and lubed the chain
My new ride - Kawasaki Versys 650-20170604_152303.jpg

From a different angle.
My new ride - Kawasaki Versys 650-20170604_152255.jpg

I hear some noise from the brakes and need to get those cleaned. Do you know any DIY video that can help in brake cleaning?

Last edited by kailashnj : 11th June 2017 at 14:51.
kailashnj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th June 2017, 23:49   #57

Quote:
Thanks for the good wishes. The bike is just awesome and you will never repent buying it. I am myself 5.7 and don't face any problems with the seat height.
Thanks for reply sir, will be test riding both of them this Sunday, will let you know how it felt.

Last edited by mobike008 : 17th June 2017 at 09:15. Reason: Reducing length of quote
Old 24th June 2017, 13:43   #58
BHPian

So on 18th June had been to Malshej ghats with my friends from the mumbai versys group.

The video from that is

Hope you guys like it. By the way this is the first time that i tried my hands at Vblogging so don't be too harsh on me but I would like to hear some constructive feedback from you all.

This is the smaller version of the video, another one that I have is more than 1:13 mins. Ignore the date on the video, I had forgotten to set the date and did not realise that there is video stamp of the date until I did not upload the video.
kailashnj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2017, 23:34   #59
BHPian

Update - 1600 KMS completed.

This weekend I visited a totally new location, that I was not aware off. It was idea of one of my friend who was also our navigator to the location.

This place is somewhere near Murbad, Maharashtra - scenic beauty totally green and awesome view and lot of water falls with more than 20 kms of Off road (read that as broken road) route.

3 of my friends accompanied me on this ride along with my daughter. Also I completed a milestone of 1600 kms which means now I don't have any RPM limit.

The milestone of 1600 KMS in 2 months.
My new ride - Kawasaki Versys 650-20170702_174910.jpg

Scenic Road to the place
My new ride - Kawasaki Versys 650-20170702_0918083.jpg

Picture time somewhere on the way
My new ride - Kawasaki Versys 650-20170702_1407072.jpg

Waterfalls at the Destination
My new ride - Kawasaki Versys 650-20170702_113310.jpg

Enjoying the waterfall
My new ride - Kawasaki Versys 650-20170702_1325472.jpg
note: This is not the previous waterfall, its a safe one at another location.

I have also created a video of our ride with some effects. Kindly view it and give me your feedback. Constructive feedback is welcome.

Link to the Video is
kailashnj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th July 2017, 09:30   #60
BHPian

Congrats on completing the 1.6k mark sir. Unleash the V to its fullest potential and munch a lot of miles ahead. Can you please share the location's name you have said above?

Most Viewed