Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st August 2019, 15:46   #31
BHPian

Re: Matt Black Triumph Street Twin 900 HT - Bonnie oh Bonnie!

I booked my Street Twin btw. Still Undecided on the colour though. Red is available for delivery next week, while the matte grey is only available for delivery mid Sep. Got to make a decision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
I also recently acquired Muc-Off Matte Paint Detailer from Spartan Progear in India, and it gives a nice protective coat to the tank and side panels. Do ensure you take off those safety stickers on the tank on day one else it'll leave a nasty border around it which is impossible to get rid off. I am living with it
Ah ok. Thanks for this. Does this detailer also take care of "knees scraping against the tank thus slowly making the area look glossy" part of it? What stickers are you talking about? Would you have any pictures?

I am curious, how do you do oil maintenance now?

Thanks, Adi_petrolhead! How's the bike been so far? I can't wait to get my hands on this beauty!
Old 22nd August 2019, 00:09   #32
Senior - BHPian

Matt Black Triumph Street Twin 900 HT - Bonnie oh Bonnie!

Matt Black Triumph Street Twin 900 HT - Bonnie oh Bonnie!-imageuploadedbyteambhp1566412509.441183.jpg
Matt Black Triumph Street Twin 900 HT - Bonnie oh Bonnie!-imageuploadedbyteambhp1566412565.610495.jpg. From the time when I was in dilemma as to which colour to pick. I chose white. It has beautiful metallic glitter that non elf the other colours had. Some colours look better in person than in pics, others unexpectedly underwhelming.

From the current colours, I'd choose the grey matte metallic. This one..Matt Black Triumph Street Twin 900 HT - Bonnie oh Bonnie!-imageuploadedbyteambhp1566412756.473047.jpg

Last edited by Abhi_Automobile : 22nd August 2019 at 00:13.
Abhi_Automobile is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2019, 09:14   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msnarain View Post
Does this detailer also take care of "knees scraping against the tank thus slowly making the area look glossy" part of it? What stickers are you talking about? Would you have any pictures?

I am curious, how do you do oil maintenance now?

Thanks, Adi_petrolhead! How's the bike been so far? I can't wait to get my hands on this beauty!

1) Detailer does add a protective layer. As I said, matte paint is pretty hard wearing on this bike. With my seating position, I doubt my knees scratch the tank at all. So can't comment.
2) There's two stickers near the fuel filler cap. You'll see them when you see the bike next time, I don't have pictures.
3) I call for a home visit and once they brought a paddock stand to carry out oil service. The most recent service, they didn't send anything, service was done easily on the side stand as well. But as expected the chain service was pretty bad and I had to do it all over again after washing the bike.
4) Bike's been great for me. My mileage is pretty low. I would have ridden about 1000 kms in the last 10 months(don't judge me, I don't ride in monsoon and peak 50 C summers ever). Bike is fuel efficient, tank range is easily 250 kms for cruising. One thing I don't like is the ever so short chain service interval (500km or 3 months which ever is earlier) and the tyres. The stock tyres are pretty bad to say the least. When new, they do a good job in the wet. But as I mentioned here before the tyres are bad for dry grip. A little bit of sand and the rear skids. Not at all confidence inspiring. I'd suggest you to change them to Pirelli Scorpion Trail 2 - tyres ASAP. Those are a league above the stock Phantoms and have much better grip in the dry especially over loose sand and gravel.
5) Wind blast at 100 kph is evident. Have to get used to it I guess.
6) If I could get one accessory or change on the bike, would be a bench seat. The stepped seat currently is just a little unsettling for my liking. Surely uncomfortable in long journeys, bench seat is far more comfy and gives you a commanding position on the bike. At least consider a Gel seat add on. I haven't got around to buying the extra bench seat nor the gel add on. But plan to get it soon enough.
7) A run in tip, initial 1000kms, pls get the chain cleaned and serviced at least twice. Also, after riding, keep a check on coolant levels. I had some coolant leaking issue. Keep the RPM below 5000 for 1st and 2nd gears, you can accelerate and open throttle slightly more in the 3rd and 4th gears. Keep speed limited to 100 kph. Clutch action is too smooth, you'll get used to super easy shifts very soon. Don't ride the rear brake, pads wear out easily if done so and they're expensive to replace.

All the best and hope you get your Matt Bonnie soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi_Automobile View Post
From the current colours, I'd choose the grey matte metallic.

That's the one msnarain was talking about, Ironstone Matte Grey.
adi_petrolhead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2019, 10:17   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Msnarain. You can just add a full 3m protection laminate on the entire fuel tank, it is precut to fit the tank.

I went to a regular non 3m sticker guy, made him buy original 3m laminate from the shop selling it and made him cut it to size to fit my versys tank. I stuck it over the fuel emergency stickers blah blah. I added a border black tape on a black tank to keep the corners from peeling out. You can choose a color tape closest to your tank color.

3 years down, and far more tougher use than you will ever see on your triumph, and its holding beautifully.

And it cost me 20% of what a 3m official dealer would have charged me.

And i didn't need to do all this ridiculous packages for detailing etc. Granted i did not have a chrome silencer, but you can have that polished once in a while by any local fellow. Just supply the best cloths, solution etc yourself.

If you feel rich and cant put in leg work, just go to an official 3m dealer and finish the job. Join the triumph local whatsapp chapter, you will get better recommendations.

Last edited by Red Liner : 22nd August 2019 at 10:18.
Red Liner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2022, 18:58   #35
Senior - BHPian

Bike will complete 5 years in May this year. Absolutely nothing to complain. Its still a fast bike, comfy, sporty, agile, efficient! Sometime in 2020 had got the Motone X-pipe installed and thats made things even more interesting. Got new Metzeler Lasertec tyres recently, ridden 300 kms on them till now, much better than the hardened and slippery stocks. Front wheel wobble gone, much more smooth and better braking! Have been carrying out routine 1 oil change service per year and chain maintenance every 2-3 months at home. Have a Triumph optimate charger too, helps to keep the battery always trickle charged even in cold weather. Installed dual horns too last year. Thats it. 5300 kms on the odo. Been really busy, and the ride on the old tyres was not confidence ispiring. After this new set of tyres, hope to ride more and more! Those who know, my four wheel troubles mean more time on the Bonnie!
adi_petrolhead is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th February 2022, 21:59   #36
BHPian

Wait in 5 years you have done 5.3k kms ? :O

Such a beautiful bike deserves to be ridden more. Hope you get some time to be able to ride especially given you have such good roads in Gujarat.
bf1983 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2022, 13:39   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Bike will complete 5 years in May this year. Absolutely nothing to complain. Its still a fast bike, comfy, sporty, agile, efficient! Sometime in 2020 had got the Motone X-pipe installed and thats made things even more interesting. Got new Metzeler Lasertec tyres recently, ridden 300 kms on them till now, much better than the hardened and slippery stocks. Front wheel wobble gone, much more smooth and better braking! Have been carrying out routine 1 oil change service per year and chain maintenance every 2-3 months at home. Have a Triumph optimate charger too, helps to keep the battery always trickle charged even in cold weather. Installed dual horns too last year. Thats it. 5300 kms on the odo. Been really busy, and the ride on the old tyres was not confidence ispiring. After this new set of tyres, hope to ride more and more! Those who know, my four wheel troubles mean more time on the Bonnie!

I just acquired a 2017 Street Twin with about 5500kms on the clock. Do you notice a difference in the way the engine responds to throttle inputs after installing the Motone X pipe? Any other observations?

Do you have a free flow intake and exhaust along with the X pipe as well? I am planning to get the Motone X pipe installed and I already have the Vance& Hines pipes installed on my motorbike.

I have also placed an order for something that I feel absolutely necessary on the Street Twin and that is Upgraded suspension.
Attached Thumbnails
Matt Black Triumph Street Twin 900 HT - Bonnie oh Bonnie!-st1.jpg  

Last edited by Crankpin : 15th June 2022 at 13:54.
Old 15th June 2022, 16:25   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crankpin View Post
I just acquired a 2017 Street Twin with about 5500kms on the clock.
Congratulations on the acquisition! I feel after about 500 kms there is slight increase in overall free-revving feel. I don't think the bike is faster, but surely seems more eager. The sound is fantastic with stock pipes, so you're in for a treat once you install the X-Pipe along with the already present V&H end cans. No I don't have any other mods except the X-Pipe. One thing I do feel is that the vibration feels slightly more as compared to when it was stock. Now thats bound to happen as there is no restriction after the de-cat.
adi_petrolhead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2022, 17:01   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Congratulations on the acquisition! I feel after about 500 kms there is slight increase in overall free-revving feel. I don't think the bike is faster, but surely seems more eager. The sound is fantastic with stock pipes, so you're in for a treat once you install the X-Pipe along with the already present V&H end cans. No I don't have any other mods except the X-Pipe. One thing I do feel is that the vibration feels slightly more as compared to when it was stock. Now thats bound to happen as there is no restriction after the de-cat.
Thank You Sir! I do think the initial laziness of the motor might be solved to some extent with that X pipe.

Do you plan to upgrade the suspension as well?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks