Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st August 2017, 13:46   #76
BHPian

Re: Triumph Street Triple 765 - Launched at Rs. 8.50 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by r.K View Post
Yes! That's what I feel too. STriple is around 1.5L dearer than the Twin. And definitely feels more bike.

Any ideas to make pillion comfort better in the STriple?

PS: I'm yet to test drive the Z900. Surajit Bhai. Your thoughts?
hey there rk,

Taking the liberty to reply (chances of two Surajits with a Z is rare). I have not ridden the Streetie (don't intend to either) so can't compare directly. Here's my observation on the Z.

Cons

1. Pillion seat is non existent, no one can sit in that for more than 20 mins. If you are looking to ride with a pillion, Z is not for you (plus the pillion will make your bike scrape more at the speed humps).

2. Z is heavier than the Street, trust me you will feel the weight in the Z.

3. Z has 130 mm ground clearance, it scrapes quite often on Bangalore speed humps.

4. Kawasaki has not streamlined their processes yet, buying experience will be lot worse than Triumph.

5. No traction control (not sure if it is really a negative, people owned/raced/toured without traction control not very long ago). I did lose traction at 5 km/h in my smooth apartment basement followed with a tank slapper, managed to control the bike though (it was really minor, can't help thinking how the street will behave).

Pros

1. There is no getting around the fact that it's an in-line four, stuff most of us dream of (my case for sure).

2. Looks are subjective, in my case the Z looks like a proper bike compared to the Streetie. You might think otherwise, and you are welcome.

3. Z is so much fun, one has to ride it to believe it.

4. The in-take scream, I find it intoxicating.

5. Clutch Assist, it is very easy to ride the bike.

6. Price.

Thanks & regards
Surajit
Surajit333 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st August 2017, 14:14   #77
Team-BHP Support

I agree almost to the tee with all your observations. Just some limited additional inputs in some places.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surajit333 View Post

Here's my observation on the Z.

Cons

1. Pillion seat is non existent, no one can sit in that for more than 20 mins. If you are looking to ride with a pillion, Z is not for you (plus the pillion will make your bike scrape more at the speed humps). [Didn't pay attention to this]

2. Z is heavier than the Street, trust me you will feel the weight in the Z.

3. Z has 130 mm ground clearance, it scrapes quite often on Bangalore speed humps.

4. Kawasaki has not streamlined their processes yet, buying experience will be lot worse than Triumph.

5. No traction control (not sure if it is really a negative, people owned/raced/toured without traction control not very long ago). I did lose traction at 5 km/h in my smooth apartment basement followed with a tank slapper, managed to control the bike though (it was really minor, can't help thinking how the street will behave).
6. There's something extremely intuitive about the Striple. Very flickable. It feels unintimidating enough if you're relatively raw to superbikes and yet its capable enough to not require immediate upgrade as your confidence increases.

7. Its nice to be part of a riding fraternity. Currently only Harley and Triumph seem to have succeeded in providing this - certainly much more than other manufacturers. If I buy a bike all things being reasonably equal, I'd sway towards Triumph over a Kawi just for that. You can feel this right from the time you interact with dealership staff as a potential purchase.

Quote:
Pros
1. There is no getting around the fact that it's an in-line four, stuff most of us dream of (my case for sure).

2. Looks are subjective, in my case the Z looks like a proper bike compared to the Streetie. You might think otherwise, and you are welcome. [Kind of agree & disagree. You are right but the Striple is a cult look in its own right. Also, I feel the Z900 has actually taken a step back from where the Z800 looked and the 2017 Striple actually looks nicer than its predecessor despite it being only small touches]

3. Z is so much fun, one has to ride it to believe it.

4. The in-take scream, I find it intoxicating.

5. Clutch Assist, it is very easy to ride the bike.

6. Price. [In Bbay at least both the bikes are hardly 6-7k apart in price. Both need some basic protection accessories]
Personally, its hard to choose between the two and I agree that the sound of the in-line 4 will always have that extra something but literally rupee for rupee / feature for feature and spec for spect, I'd pick the Striple S over the Z 900 if I had to put my money.
Old 21st August 2017, 14:59   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
I agree almost to the tee with all your observations. Just some limited additional inputs in some places.

6. There's something extremely intuitive about the Striple. Very flickable. It feels unintimidating enough if you're relatively raw to superbikes and yet its capable enough to not require immediate upgrade as your confidence increases. I have not ridden it, but I trust your observations and many other observations from motoring publications.

7. Its nice to be part of a riding fraternity. Currently only Harley and Triumph seem to have succeeded in providing this - certainly much more than other manufacturers. If I buy a bike all things being reasonably equal, I'd sway towards Triumph over a Kawi just for that. You can feel this right from the time you interact with dealership staff as a potential purchase.
Couldn't agree more, although there is a positive intent by Kawasaki to bring in multitude of bikes at relatively affordable prices, still, they have a long way to go in end-user engagement and satisfaction. In my case, I am in love with motorcycles more, Z900 makes perfect sense to me.

Personally, its hard to choose between the two and I agree that the sound of the in-line 4 will always have that extra something but literally rupee for rupee / feature for feature and spec for spect, I'd pick the Striple S over the Z 900 if I had to put my money.
I disagree, many of us buy superbikes (not all), with a background of reading and research. I would speak for myself, I grew up on articles and books on motorcycles (pre-internet days), from the air-cooled inline fours to the modern day liquid cooled ones. The lure and need of the Universal Japanese Motorcycle was always in my mind, Triumph came in much later to the party. I believe the Z900 is a remarkable distillation of the UJM. My honest reason for buying the Z900

Last edited by Surajit333 : 21st August 2017 at 15:02. Reason: Reformatted the bold text.
Surajit333 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2017, 16:18   #79
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I disagree, many of us buy superbikes (not all), with a background of reading and research. I would speak for myself, I grew up on articles and books on motorcycles (pre-internet days), from the air-cooled inline fours to the modern day liquid cooled ones. The lure and need of the Universal Japanese Motorcycle was always in my mind, Triumph came in much later to the party. I believe the Z900 is a remarkable distillation of the UJM. My honest reason for buying the Z900
I'm not saying the Striple is the right choice. I'm saying its right for me - and that's for reasons unique to me not necessarily because one is better than the other, although that didn't come out perfectly perhaps. Between the two I can perfectly imagine the Kawi being the preferred steed for someone else because each of these bikes comes with its own pros and cons compared to each other.
Axe77 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2017, 13:51   #80
BHPian

I test rode the new Street Triple yesterday. What a bike!

The first thing that hits you is just how light and nimble the motorcycle feels and how you just feel one with the machine moments after you pull away.

It is very docile and manageable at low speeds. I started in 'Rain' mode, but as the roads were relatively dry, switched to 'Road' mode within a few meters. I therefore am not in a position to say anything about the difference in 'Rain' and 'Road' modes, but the test ride was short and I wanted to make the most of it.

I came upon a cluster of vehicles being led by a very slow Tempo-Rickshaw. I just flicked the Street through the gaps and came out ahead to an open patch of road. This bike is great at filtering through traffic - a big plus for our conditions.

Twist open the the throttle and the 765cc triple makes beautiful music and the bike suddenly transforms its personality. The street accelerates seriously quickly and you're engulfed in that lovely triple soundtrack. I see a speed-breaker approaching rather quickly, and drop the front Nissin anchors which immediately slow the bike down very confidently.

Go around the roundabout, and blast back to the showroom. This is one bike you'll keep revving hard just to listen to the intake / engine note.

The clutch, although it is not a slip-assist one is pretty light and won't build your left forearm during rush hour traffic.

The price comes to 10.27 for the Red and 10.42 for the black version (I like the black better), which is a bit more expensive than what I had anticipated.

OT: A big surprise was a big drop in the T120 prices, by a lakh or so. It is now around 10.6 OTR Pune.

A shout out to the very polite and courteous Cyril, who helped me with the test ride and further enhanced my showroom experience.
amitg79 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2017, 10:50   #81
BHPian

Had an opportunity to test ride the Street Triple along with my riding buddies. Coming from a sedate Ninja 650, I would say this bike is a mental bike. My friend aptly described it as a bigger Duke 390.

1) If one sits on the bike with the engine switched off, he/she will feel like sitting on a Hero Splendor or a TVS victor. Job well done by Triumph to keep the kerb weight less.

2) The intake growl/Induction sound: This is where I was taken back. When the bike accelerates, you feel the intake growl hitting you directly on your chest. Very aggressive growl to say the least. I think this one character of Street Triple is what it makes to be a unique fun motorcycle.

3) I always loved the low end and mid-range torque of Ninja 650. Wanted to see how Street Triple would fare in this. I would say it didn't disappoint me. I rode the bike at 40 kmph in 6th gear. The engine RPM was some where close to 2000. There was no engine lugging. When I twisted the throttle from that speed, the pull was decent enough, but not as significant as one gets from Ninja 650. Of course, I know that this bike is meant for revving, but I was curious to see how it performed at lower RPMs.

4) I don't need to say anything on how the engine revs. One would go crazy revving the engine and as I said before, it is a mental bike for me. I read many reviews talking about how rider friendly (and linear power delivery) it is, but I wasn't prepared for the brutal acceleration of this bike. With the first 2 gears, this bike will reach the speed to a dangerous level.

6) Engine smoothness: Absolutely no vibes. Even while revving at lower gears, never felt any vibes from the handle bar or from the foot pegs.

7) Braking: Braking was excellent. Tried hard braking to get a feel of ABS kicking in and never felt the shudder at the brake lever.

8) Suspension: I heard good things about the SFF Showa suspension, but I couldn't test it fully.

In short, I would describe the bike as - Aggressive, nimble, fun, beautiful induction sound.

Going by what the sales guy said, the waiting period for Street Triple is some where from 120 days to 150 days. The demand for the red colour is high.
And finally, I need to thank the Triumph sales team who did a fantastic job in explaining things and providing a very good test ride experience.
shan_ned is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 1st September 2017, 15:15   #82
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shan_ned View Post
Had an opportunity to test ride the Street Triple along with my riding buddies. Coming from a sedate Ninja 650, I would say this bike is a mental bike. My friend aptly described it as a bigger Duke 390.
Does it even make sense to consider the Speed Triple anymore? Looks like the Street Triple is very very close to the Speed with the latest avatar.

Last edited by aah78 : 1st September 2017 at 19:53. Reason: Please quote only relevant portions of posts. Thanks!
Old 1st September 2017, 16:34   #83
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilesh5417 View Post
Does it even make sense to consider the Speed Triple anymore? Looks like the Street Triple is very very close to the Speed with the latest avatar.
I guess that will only truly be clear once you see the updated Speed as well. But I can imagine each to have its own set of takers.
Old 2nd September 2017, 16:12   #84
Team-BHP Support

Triumph Street Triple 765 - Launched at Rs. 8.50 lakh

Finally took the plunge on a street triple - just got delivery today. Will post in due course in more detail on the how and why. Initial impressions to be after I've ridden a little while.

Attachment 1672058Attachment 1672059

Last edited by Axe77 : 2nd September 2017 at 16:25.
Axe77 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2017, 16:33   #85
Team-BHP Support

Sorry unable to add pics to previous post. Trying again here.

Triumph Street Triple 765 - Launched at Rs. 8.50 lakh-imageuploadedbyteambhp1504350149.063652.jpgTriumph Street Triple 765 - Launched at Rs. 8.50 lakh-imageuploadedbyteambhp1504350161.959000.jpgTriumph Street Triple 765 - Launched at Rs. 8.50 lakh-imageuploadedbyteambhp1504350177.429483.jpgTriumph Street Triple 765 - Launched at Rs. 8.50 lakh-imageuploadedbyteambhp1504350201.451419.jpgTriumph Street Triple 765 - Launched at Rs. 8.50 lakh-imageuploadedbyteambhp1504350214.603074.jpg
Axe77 is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2017, 16:35   #86
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Finally took the plunge on a street triple - just got delivery today.
Congratulations!

First STripple 765 on the forum? Didn't see any other posts. Congrats once again and ride safe.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2017, 16:56   #87
BHPian

Congrats buddy! ride safe and have fun.
ashroy_6 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2017, 19:01   #88
BHPian

Quote:
Finally took the plunge on a street triple - just got delivery today. Will post in due course in more detail on the how and why. Initial impressions to be after I've ridden a little while.

Attachment 1672058Attachment 1672059

Congratulations .

She is probably the best in her class, thanks to the engaging inline 3 motor and nimble handling. I am seriously considering the STriple 765 as well.

Ride safe!
csr9 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2017, 09:05   #89
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Sorry unable to add pics to previous post. Trying again here.
Congrats. I know that you have been contemplating of a purchase for a few years now and If i'm not wrong you went through a series of shortlists

Glad to know that the Street Tripple tickled your heart strings. I have spent on the saddle of a Street Tripple plenty of time and it's a fantastic and nimble bike and keep the adrelanin pumping with great corner carving abilities

A close friend of mine used to own it and now he upgraded to the Speed Tripple but, he still misses the nimbleness of Street and only reason he upgraded was he wanted a liter class bike

Have fun and ride safe. Hope to see your ownership report soon!!

Mod Note : Please correct the orientation of pictures before uploading pictures. Also, visit this link for detailed explanation on how pictures can be uploaded on the forum

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/announ...-team-bhp.html
mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2017, 10:02   #90
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Congrats. I know that you have been contemplating of a purchase for a few years now and If i'm not wrong you went through a series of shortlists

Glad to know that the Street Tripple tickled your heart strings. I have spent on the saddle of a Street Tripple plenty of time and it's a fantastic and nimble bike and keep the adrelanin pumping with great corner carving abilities

A close friend of mine used to own it and now he upgraded to the Speed Tripple but, he still misses the nimbleness of Street and only reason he upgraded was he wanted a liter class bike

Have fun and ride safe. Hope to see your ownership report soon!!
Thanks - you have a great memory. Over the last 5 years, I've looked at everything from a Kawi N 300; N & Z 650; Bonneville; Honda 650f; Benelli 302r.

I never really seriously considered anything more than 6/6.5 lakh until I actually came down to the purchase. More on this when I write a more detailed post on the purchase decision / process etc.

I think the new Street Triple with the ~800 cc Daytona hand me down gets you a lot closer to the litre class experience [I'm saying closer relative of course to the India detuned 675 version] without compromising on the nimbleness and rider friendly dynamics factor.

For someone getting back into riding, I found the Street is friendly & un-intimidating enough to start off / when you want and yet has enough grunt as you gain experience and confidence. That played a big part in my selection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Mod Note : Please correct the orientation of pictures before uploading pictures. Also, visit this link for detailed explanation on how pictures can be uploaded on the forum

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/announ...-team-bhp.html
Noted for future reference. I was trying to do this using the App and not sure was able to get the full functionality. Didn't have access to the laptop all weekend. Some of the pics actually were correct orientation on my phone but somehow got skewed in uploading.

Last edited by Axe77 : 4th September 2017 at 10:09.
Axe77 is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks