Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports

Search this Thread
Old 11th October 2017, 23:36   #91
Team-BHP Support

Re: Triumph Street Triple 765 - Launched at Rs. 8.50 lakh

Finally the real raw deal is here -

Triumph dealerships all across the country have already started taking bookings for the 2017 Triumph Street Triple RS for a token amount of Rs 2 lakh. OVERDRIVE have also learnt that the Triumph Street Triple RS will be launched in India on October 14, 2017

http://overdrive.in/news-cars-auto/t...on-october-16/
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th October 2017, 21:38   #92
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Finally the real raw deal is here -

Triumph dealerships all across the country have already started taking bookings for the 2017 Triumph Street Triple RS for a token amount of Rs 2 lakh. OVERDRIVE have also learnt that the Triumph Street Triple RS will be launched in India on October 14, 2017

http://overdrive.in/news-cars-auto/t...on-october-16/
I've been having my eyes on this particular one for a while and I'm seriously debating on picking one up. Would be my first super bike here in India. Price isn't much of a factor for me but the rides would be mostly within the city with the occasional drive on the highways or elsewhere. I live in Vijayawada, Andhra Pradesh. We do have a Triumph, Kawasaki, Suzuki and Yamaha over here.

Have a few questions, if someone can help me out as I'm in the market for a naked street.

1. I'm mostly leaning towards the Street Triple RS. Also the Z900 and the Brutal 800. Ruled out the Ducati from feedback of few friends regarding fuel issues and probably ruling out the Brutale 800 as well since the closest showroom would be Mumbai?

What do you guys suggest for 80% within city rides?

2. Debated on going all in for a liter class motorcycles like the GSXS1000 and the new Speed Triple but few friends suggested that these 800cc ones are more than what I'd ever need considering I don't go out of the city as much?

3. Are the new Triumphs' engines detuned? If not would the regular fuel be a problem? I can't source anything other than regular fuel here besides the so called "Speed" fuel which is only regular fuel with additives I'm guessing? But yes I don't have Speed 97 anywhere around.

4. Should I go with a new motorcycle or just completely drop down to some used one for a year or two to see the good and bad of riding around here?

Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 13th October 2017, 09:56   #93
BHPian

Quote:
I've been having my eyes on this particular one for a while and I'm seriously debating on picking one up. Would be my first super bike here in India.
I assume that you have prior experience riding big bikes outside india.

Quote:
1. I'm mostly leaning towards the Street Triple RS. Also the Z900 and the Brutal 800. Ruled out the Ducati from feedback of few friends regarding fuel issues and probably ruling out the Brutale 800 as well since the closest showroom would be Mumbai?

STriple RS is more track oriented. If you are not going for track sessions, STriple S will be good enough. If you personally like RS, then you go by that. Other wise, the 'S' version is a good choice for street riding.

Yes, STriple is so light weight that you can easily use for daily city commute. On the other hand, Z900 weighs heavy, but has better low end torque. You can do a test ride and check for yourself.

Quote:
2. Debated on going all in for a liter class motorcycles like the GSXS1000 and the new Speed Triple but few friends suggested that these 800cc ones are more than what I'd ever need considering I don't go out of the city as much?
In my opinion, never ride a liter class bike inside the city. Again, there is no any hard and fast rule.

Quote:
3. Are the new Triumphs' engines detuned? If not would the regular fuel be a problem? I can't source anything other than regular fuel here besides the so called "Speed" fuel which is only regular fuel with additives I'm guessing? But yes I don't have Speed 97 anywhere around.
The new Striple is not detuned . The best thing is the recommended minimum RON is 91 and you get it even in small towns.

Quote:
4. Should I go with a new motorcycle or just completely drop down to some used one for a year or two to see the good and bad of riding around here?
It depends on how confident you are. I think you can go with the new bike and ride sedately until you get used to the conditions.

Last edited by shan_ned : 13th October 2017 at 09:57.
shan_ned is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th October 2017, 14:03   #94
Distinguished - BHPian

Sweetvar26, it would be great if you give us some background about your riding experience and preferences as each forum member will have his or her own perspective which could confuse you even more!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetvar26 View Post
I've been having my eyes on this particular one for a while and I'm seriously debating on picking one up. Would be my first super bike here in India. Price isn't much of a factor for me but the rides would be mostly within the city with the occasional drive on the highways or elsewhere. I live in Vijayawada, Andhra Pradesh. We do have a Triumph, Kawasaki, Suzuki and Yamaha over here.

Have a few questions, if someone can help me out as I'm in the market for a naked street.

As shah_ned mentioned, unless you are heading to the tracks regularly, you really dont need a Street Triple RS.

Quote:
If you're willing to look at it, a Kawasaki Z650 or a Ninja 650. If you have to choose between the Street and the Z900, you cant go wrong with whichever one you pick. Test ride and buy.

Quote:
There's a difference between need and want But they are right. You probably dont need anything more than a Z / Ninja 650.

Quote:
Not to my knowledge but then again I havent seen them dyno tested in India yet.

Quote:

Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Again, some details about your riding history would help us here. If you dont really want a new big bike, you can find good deals on Z800s and Street Triples on various Facebook groups.

P.S - Left field suggestion, the new D390 is actually a great bike for the kind of usage you listed. If you can wait for some of the minor gremlins to be ironed out, you could have yourself a pocket rocket for a pittance compared to these bigger bikes.
neil.jericho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2017, 14:53   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shan_ned View Post
I assume that you have prior experience riding big bikes outside india.
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
Sweetvar26, it would be great if you give us some background about your riding experience and preferences as each forum member will have his or her own perspective which could confuse you even more!
I’ve been riding for about 15 years now, not continuously but frequently. I’ve stuck or been stuck with 600cc motorcycles up until now. I’m never into cruisers, always liked and preferred the naked streets. However I did get my fair share of riding experience in the past two years over my friends Bonneville which I do ride very frequently but I tend to limit myself within the city.

As for you guys mentioning about the RS being track oriented, I won’t be riding it on a track but just city on the most part and maybe once a month a highway ride? Haven’t given a serious thought on that yet because the Indian highways aren’t to be messed around. I’d say 75/25 city highway split?

As for the class, I wanted something bigger than a 600cc and which is why I was looking at the Street Triple RS, Z900, Monster 821 and the Brutale 800. If buying new, I won’t be switching it within the next 4-5 years, so I was looking at something more exotic. A reason why I was looking at the Brutale 800 even though it’s over priced compared to its competition. However the lack of servicing options anywhere close and the possibility of other mechanical issues, making me stay away from it. As for the Ducati, I’ve heard numerous issues, mostly with fuel.

My friend who happens to have a Bonneville, his motorcycle wasn’t starting couple of weeks ago while he was at work in a village which is about an hour from here. Luckily the Triumph showroom being only an hour away was able to resolve the issue quickly. When we were discussing about it, we talked about the possibility of having a Brutale or the Monster and we could be waiting for days to get it fixed.

So back on topic, I really really like that Matt Silver Ice color on the new RS, besides the attractive instrument cluster and the Brembo M50’s. There’s a minor power bump but not sure how much it would reflect on road unless it has a different map as well. Since I will be spending more than 10L, I’m like why not go all in and get a liter class like the GSXS1000 or the upcoming Speed Triple. One of my enthusiast and racer friend have been raving about how good the new Speed Triple is and the reviews have been nothing short of stellar.

As for the used market, that’s an entirely different topic and the options would be great at a much better pricing I believe. So yes, as of right now I’m very much leaning towards the Street Triple RS in that Matt Silver Ice color option. Is regular fuel in India RON 91? If so, I’m glad that it’s good enough to fire the Street Triple. What about the Z900, Brutale 800 or the new Speed Triple?

Either way, thank you for your valuable suggestions you two.

Last edited by Rehaan : 13th October 2017 at 16:26. Reason: Shortening quotes posts (as long quotes inconvenience small-screen & mobile visitors). Thanks.
Old 13th October 2017, 14:58   #96
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
What about the Z900, Brutale 800 or the new Speed Triple?
Normally, I would have answered this question easily as the Z900 offers the best value for the money and is just as good for highway fun.

But, since you mention 80% city usage - it has to be the Street Triple. Others cant come close to the amount of fun it is within city limits.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2017, 15:46   #97
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
So back on topic, I really really like that Matt Silver Ice color on the new RS, besides the attractive instrument cluster and the Brembo M50’s. There’s a minor power bump but not sure how much it would reflect on road unless it has a different map as well. Since I will be spending more than 10L, I’m like why not go all in and get a liter class like the GSXS1000 or the upcoming Speed Triple. One of my enthusiast and racer friend have been raving about how good the new Speed Triple is and the reviews have been nothing short of stellar.
The new Speed Triple has been on my radar but there are absolutely no signs of it being launched in India any time soon. The old one was a beast with a muscle building clutch and had sufficient differentiation from the older Street to justify its presence and pricing. However to justify launching the new Speed in India, Triumph will have to price it at a premium compared to the RS which will just make it a sales dud. So dont hold your breath on the Speed, Im not.

The GSXS1000 is a really good option with the only fly in the ointment being a jerky throttle. Reviewers across the world and owners have brought this up. It does have significant road presence though the pillion seat isnt going to be very useful.

That leaves you with the Street S / RS and maybe the BMW S1000R. In your place, I would pick the Street S and maybe bling it up a bit. The extra modes on the RS, the minor bump in power and the top quality suspension would make a difference on the track. On city roads, not so much.
neil.jericho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2017, 15:50   #98
BHPian

Quote:
? Haven’t given a serious thought on that yet because the Indian highways aren’t to be messed around. I’d say 75/25 city highway split?

Is regular fuel in India RON 91? If so, I’m glad that it’s good enough to fire the Street Triple. What about the Z900, Brutale 800 or the new Speed Triple?

Either way, thank you for your valuable suggestions you two.
With BS IV standard in place, 91 RON is available across the country. For Z900, the recommended one is 95 RON, but I want a Z900 owner to confirm this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post

Not to my knowledge but then again I havent seen them dyno tested in India yet.
As per power drift, they tested STriple S on the dyno and found the BHP to be around 97 at the wheel.

Last edited by shan_ned : 13th October 2017 at 15:53.
Old 13th October 2017, 18:31   #99
Senior - BHPian

The "R" would have been perfect option for India since it has the bling that "S" doesn't have including the gorgeous screen. I hope Triumph plans to get it. The only issue being reported with the "R" is the front brakes with no feedback else the torque curve and mechanical / electronic bits upgraded over the "S" are worth the money. Though i was reading a review and they were wondering who would buy the "R" since S does just fine on the street and RS is so tuned to the track that it has a dedicated track riding mode and different rake angle to please the track fans. But if you want an all-in-one bike that works on both Street & Track, RS it is by them.
Old 13th October 2017, 19:33   #100
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
As per power drift, they tested STriple S on the dyno and found the BHP to be around 97 at the wheel.
But the bike they tested was running an Arrow exhaust and a corresponding Arrow map.

Quote:
With BS IV standard in place, 91 RON is available across the country. For Z900, the recommended one is 95 RON, but I want a Z900 owner to confirm this.
Recommended is 95RON for the Z900, but should cope just as fine as the compression ratio is a more practical 11.8:1 v/s 12.65:1 of the STripple 765.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 13th October 2017 at 19:41.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2017, 20:10   #101
BHPian

Quote:
Hi there,

I own a Z900, Kawasaki recommends 95 RON. I live very near to an HP outlet selling Power 99 (Claimed 99 Octane) so I tank up there most of the time, except when I am riding outside the city, I have done about 10 tankfills, 6 of them power 99, rest premium if available else normal. To answer your query, I did not notice any difference on how the bike runs (I tried very hard to hear any knocking or different engine character but didn't find any).

Thanks
Surajit
Surajit333 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2017, 20:36   #102
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I'm mostly leaning towards the Street Triple RS. Also the Z900 and the Brutal 800. Ruled out the Ducati from feedback of few friends regarding fuel issues and probably ruling out the Brutale 800 as well since the closest showroom would be Mumbai?
Sveetvar, I would suggest the ST RS since budget is not an issue as you mentioned. It's far lighter and more flickable than the Z900 too.

The top spec suspension, M50 brakes, display console, bump in power and five riding modes should be good enough difference to buy the RS. Why buy the lower spec if money is not an issue because every time an RS passes by, your heart will always say "I should have bought that".

Z900 comes with ABS only, whereas the RS has the complete safety package of ABS and traction control with 5 riding modes, including one which is rider programable.

The safety net offered by the ST RS is far superior to the Z900. This is India where gravel, mud, animals and/or the idiot crossing the road are omnipresent. Go for the highest standard of safety possible.

Happy choosing.

Cheers
Old 13th October 2017, 21:03   #103
Team-BHP Support

From what you've described I feel the triple S is the most apt for your requirements.

Last edited by .anshuman : 14th October 2017 at 09:31. Reason: Tag fixed. Thanks
Old 13th October 2017, 21:17   #104
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
But the bike they tested was running an Arrow exhaust and a corresponding Arrow map.

Recommended is 95RON for the Z900, but should cope just as fine as the compression ratio is a more practical 11.8:1 v/s 12.65:1 of the STripple 765.
Yes ... You are correct that the test bike had arrow exhaust. So even other wise the actual power without arrow should be less by another 3 to 4 bhp.

As far as the recommended RON rating, I heard that the ECU mapping plays a very important role in determining the right RON. Probably the STriple ECU mapping takes care of running with 91 RON even though the compression ratio is high.
Old 14th October 2017, 01:32   #105
BHPian

Seriously bad timing (for me) - Just made payment for Ninja 1000, but RS was always my dream bike.

Both are completely different categories but should be the same price-point I guess. Now massively confused if I should cancel the Ninja and take the RS

Does anyone know how it is priced?

Most Viewed