Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports

Search this Thread
Old 7th February 2018, 12:23   #121
BHPian

Re: Triumph Street Triple 765 - Launched at Rs. 8.50 lakh

Well, I realized that the Tiger was being pushed by sales and I explored it a bit (on which there were good deals too due to incoming '18 models) but 'Street' was my main consideration.

For Adv touring, I'm more inclined towards lighter and more agile Versys 300 if and when in the future.
wangdu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2018, 11:59   #122
BHPian

Triumph Street Triple 765 - Launched at Rs. 8.50 lakh-img_20180217_083008.jpg

Break in period report of my Street Triple S, christened ‘Zohan’. The red hooligan of hooligans can be deceitfully calm and at a moment’s notice hurriedly dons on the extreme maniac avatar to take off through whatever space it’s master commands it to. The “take off” is not just straight line 0-100 but overtaking/passing in a split second once the countdown of tapering down of that gap starts.

Triumph has selected few of the best racing line genes from its pedigree it seems and has sent the Striple to the streets armored with the unbeatable spirit of Daytona. The result is Zohan, a name I directly picked in a light-hearted context from the movie ‘you don’t mess with the Zohan’. But no mistaking this, it really means it out there on the street.

Zohan is undergoing its break-in period, the toughest for a rider (especially with rev happy machines) but the most satisfying as well, knowing this too shall pass and the motorcycle’s engine & moving parts would be then ready for unabashed performance.

After 300kms ride in the city and twisty roads around NCR, this past weekend took Zohan out to meet the big boys on the YEW (Yamuna-expressway). It’s a bit weird that NHAI at some stretches has set the speed limit to 40kmph and vehicles are zipping by at 150+, really weird. Had it not been for painful break-in period even I would have missed the 40kmph dusty speed limit sign boards.

Triumph Street Triple 765 - Launched at Rs. 8.50 lakh-img_20180217_083021.jpg

The first 800kms of break-in is to-be or not-to-be as the world out there prophecies both gentle and hard break in. Many advise that the break in period is just a way for manufacturers to try and keep us safe the first few hundred kms, while they're getting used to the bike and that all engines are run very hard during testing before they even go in the bike’s chassis. And then there are the old school conservatives who advise to just go by the book. Well, the book says to keep the engine under 5k rpm and talking of conservatives the Triumph guys had it set to 4k rpm at delivery which I changed to 5.5k midway home to just let my mind ride the bike a bit more freely.

Triumph Street Triple 765 - Launched at Rs. 8.50 lakh-img_20180217_083033.jpg

My basic break in strategy with Striple (and proportionately was what with my Duke200 & T100) is to start bring it up to the upper rev range early on, but not holding it there - bring it up to 7-8k, then let engine braking bring it back down - then up to 8k, engine brake it back down and after some 30 minutes of riding like this let the engine cool. So, kind of a mix between the gentle break-in and hard break-in strategies.

One thing that matured at the end of it was the sound. The sound from a slightly soft intake howl, from the hesitant & shy exhaust at the start changed to the symphony only Striple riders would know. And every overtake had the occupants of that vehicle turning heads when I slowed down a little further head.

Another point which Zohan has very tersely and firmly put across is to never talk of ‘kitna deta hai’ a.k.a FE. While I was engrossed with all senses dedicated to bike’s engine, sound, brakes, accelerate/decelerate et al the low fuel lamp had lit up since sometime.

Triumph Street Triple 765 - Launched at Rs. 8.50 lakh-img_20180217_081517.jpg

I felt slightly nervous seeing DTE at 30 (was I thinking it was trip distance or mileage perhaps) and as I rode slowly I was more worried that having low fuel in tank could adversely/irreversibly impact the the catalytic converter. And then after “very long” minutes with DTE at 9km, a watering hole - IOCL fuel station, a huge sigh of relief !

Overall the ride was 200km round trip and the first 100 was with TC ON and return with TC OFF. The response in TC OFF was just mind boggling. When I ride Bonnie with TC OFF the pull becomes stronger, engine frees up more but response stays linear, no scary stuff. Contrasting experience on Striple, TC OFF yields fun beyond belief experience owing to the 100+ horses impatiently waiting for their call to deliver. The split seconds when I was able to glance at the speedo, it was like doing skip counting of 10s per second in the acceleration phase, such is the unrestricted power let loose to the rear wheel. This reminded me of when I stomped on the gas pedal while test driving the Abarth, roller coaster stuff. The engine braking during deceleration phase is equally impressive, bringing down the speed gradually without jerks.

Vehicles who I would overtake some 10kms back would look and wonder what am I doing riding at 40kmph when they passed me. Few might know, it’s all in the quest to get the seals seal tight and right.

Cheers!
wangdu is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 20th March 2018, 15:56   #123
BHPian

Zohan, my red Street’s first service done at 1000 kms. The experience so far has been extraordinary fun on the world class middle weight naked. The adage that "The rider should know his limits; the machine has none" aptly suits this gorgeous red roller coaster.

What a a beautiful console. The analog Tacho and uncomplicated sharp font information console, one of the main reasons for choosing S
Triumph Street Triple 765 - Launched at Rs. 8.50 lakh-img_20180317_165631.jpg

Triumph Street Triple 765 - Launched at Rs. 8.50 lakh-img_20180317_103804.jpg

There are two kinds of rev happy machines I know, one the normal ones, in which as the revs climb the engine gets louder (noisy, no output) and then there is this maniac where the engine feels a bit stressed at low rpms but twist the wrist beyond ~5k, the engine sound gets sweeter and the stress transfers onto the rider, to survive.

The muddle continues. On the one hand there's a pull from the heart to switch off TC and further open the throttle and then a counter pull from the head reminding of the above quote. Forget being master of all that’s on offer, I guess just being comfortable and getting off with grace at the end of lunacy takes all the experience and skills to be further honed over many a miles and hours astride. There’s no need- -for-speed big enough that Street triple can’t satiate.

Accessories Talk: Got the 'belly pan' fitted from dealer and the bike looks much sporty and sharp now. It lowers GC by a few mms I’m reckon so I’ll need to be a bit more careful over humps.

BEFORE:
Triumph Street Triple 765 - Launched at Rs. 8.50 lakh-img_20180317_153728.jpg

AFTER:
Triumph Street Triple 765 - Launched at Rs. 8.50 lakh-img_20180317_155921.jpg

Next on the list in the order of priority is radiator guard, bar end mirrors and maybe yoshimura/SC exhaust (Arrow’s sound isn’t a great deal differentiator compared to stock) post warranty or sooner, undecided.

Cheers !

Last edited by wangdu : 20th March 2018 at 16:03. Reason: typo
wangdu is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th March 2018, 18:29   #124
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wangdu View Post
Accessories Talk: Got the 'belly pan' fitted from dealer and the bike looks much sporty and sharp now. It lowers GC by a few mms I’m reckon so I’ll need to be a bit more careful over humps.
My stupidity led to some off-roading and surprisingly the bike cleared some interestingly high bumps without scraping. So far neither have any of the "hills" on the Bangalore roads hit the belly pan.
Caramba is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th March 2018, 18:46   #125
Team-BHP Support

Accessories Talk: Got the 'belly pan' fitted from dealer and the bike looks much sporty and sharp now. It lowers GC by a few mms I'm reckon so I'll need to be a bit more careful over humps.

Next on the list in the order of priority is radiator guard, bar end mirrors and maybe yoshimura/SC exhaust (Arrow's sound isn't a great deal differentiator compared to stock) post warranty or sooner, undecided.

Cheers ! [/quote]

Hey. This is a good read for me. I have a red triple S too.

What did the belly pan cost you?

I'm considering quick shifters but keen to know whether they're really worth it. Costs 26k from triumph.

I'm also considering the SC exhaust. Can you indicate any pro and con of SC in general and also vs yoshimura.

Thanks
Old 20th March 2018, 19:02   #126
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caramba View Post
My stupidity led to some off-roading and surprisingly the bike cleared some interestingly high bumps without scraping. So far neither have any of the "hills" on the Bangalore roads hit the belly pan.
Though the belly pan looks like susceptible to scraping, it is actually not. If we inspect very closely, we can see that the very first thing to get the hit is the exhaust pipes.
Old 21st March 2018, 09:09   #127
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post

Hey. This is a good read for me. I have a red triple S too.

What did the belly pan cost you?

I'm considering quick shifters but keen to know whether they're really worth it. Costs 26k from triumph.

I'm also considering the SC exhaust. Can you indicate any pro and con of SC in general and also vs yoshimura.

Thanks
Belly pan cost is Rs.15,550 for which I used my store credit. There are a few less costly options on internet but I was concerned about the color mismatch or if it might fade hence went ahead with OE accessory.

Quick shifter is a good idea if I have store credit and don't want to lose out on rpms due to 50-100 ms delays in gear shifting *during spirited road or track riding*. Of course a good tech is appreciated but i don't see it as a must buy for now. Cost wise it sounds about okay compared to internet rates.

Well, if we buy any other exhaust but Arrow the warranty is gone. One can remove the slipon during services to hide the fact but the other blocker is Triumph India won't provide the associated maps for slipons other than Arrow. Without the maps the slip ons might be fine for a while but many on triumphrat.net have reported power loss and related issues soon after, which was fixed by respective maps. Few 'RATs' I know have gone ahead irrespective, for the love of the sound but I think I'll wait till about 3k kms to feel the stock sound and if I'm still not happy, the 'US Spec Arrows without baffle' might be the middle ground to satisfy head and heart.

And yes, given that Striple has a RAM air intake, I think a performance air filter is a must (not available as accessory) with or without exhaust change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shan_ned View Post
Though the belly pan looks like susceptible to scraping, it is actually not. If we inspect very closely, we can see that the very first thing to get the hit is the exhaust pipes.
I'd checked this with scale before installing. The belly pan vertex area at front will take the hit first at slow speed as the GC at front is lower than at the rear of pan. If the speed is slightly more then perhaps the front of belly pan may still be in the air and the pipes might scrape. Let's see, experience.

cheers!.
Old 21st March 2018, 09:54   #128
BHPian

Those are some nice inputs with the accessories. The bike is looking good.

I’m getting mine sometime next month I think, yeah it’s taking a while, waiting it out patiently.
Old 21st March 2018, 10:46   #129
BHPian

Quote:
Well, if we buy any other exhaust but Arrow the warranty is gone.

And yes, given that Striple has a RAM air intake, I think a performance air filter is a must (not available as accessory) with or without exhaust change.

I'd checked this with scale before installing. The belly pan vertex area at front will take the hit first at slow speed as the GC at front is lower than at the rear of pan.
Confirmed with the dealer. Anything other than the arrow and the warranty is gone. I have been using the arrow on my RS since day 1 and it sounds only a whee bit louder than the stock. Had set my heart on the Akrapovic but the price came out yesterday and those dreams are shattered- Its almost $1000 for a homologated slip on. So those looking for noise can forget that. I really wanted to sell the arrow and get the Akrapovic but i guess i am not doing that anymore.

On the performance filter aspect- you planning to get one? If yes, which one? As you are in Delhi, maybe we can do a group buy.

And do not worry about the belly pan- no scrapes anywhere in 3 months. Just need to be a little careful- that is all.
RohanDheman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2018, 13:04   #130
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RohanDheman View Post
.. I have been using the arrow on my RS ..

On the performance filter aspect- you planning to get one? If yes, which one? As you are in Delhi, maybe we can do a group buy.
Is your Arrow EU or US spec? With or without baffle? But even then I don't think the loudest of them, the US spec without baffle would be as melodious as Akra or Yoshi. And are you running associated arrow map too?.

In UK/US people keep trying different maps with different exhaust but sadly here it's all an obscure little world.

On the air filter part, the more I sift through & discuss on internet forums, few points are pretty clear:

1. That if it’s dusty environment like here, stock paper filter is the way to go.

2. On performance air filters, K&N for example, I have heard mixed reviews. Some say the stock filter yields the same power as a K&N, others say K&N gives you a couple of hp (just couple!!!). I have no clue without any dyno run showing the difference which I can’t find or pay for. The cotton based K&N will require washing, drying and oiling every 10k kms (in our conditions) I guess.

Seems it’s more practical staying with stock and not worry about oiling K&N and getting cleaners and do the process.

3. As I said above the difference if any is couple of HP and that too might be due to calibration error of dynos or test environment changes. It's true that air can flow in more freely but there's only that much amount of air volume that can be in those cylinders. So, unless the paper stock filter is extremely dirty blocking most of air flow there won't be any noticeable difference. For all practical purposes, if stock filter is cleaned say 4-6 months (or around) in NCR environment and replaced annually, there shouldn't be noticeable performance/bhp degradation.

Then there’s BMC performance filter and few other foam based but principles remain same and endless debates continue on which one is better (if any).

But we don't have to worry about it all for some while because there's isn't any K&N or other for '17 models yet, or at least I couldn't find one on Internet nor on talking with stores in UK & AU.

My research is coming to conclusion that the company has taken great pains to get the bike in perfect zone. Sure thing we can twiddle and feel good about it but nothing tangible to prove it. It is possible to further squeeze out performance using maps/filters/exhausts/air flow volume increase ducts etc, but neither those parts are readily available here nor would the infrastructure let us rev open the engine to hit the performance points often.

After all this head banging, a boy's excitement of not long ago to inject performance enhancement "drugs" into Zohan seems to have fizzled away, perhaps for good.

cheers!
Old 23rd March 2018, 11:00   #131
BHPian

Quote:
Is your Arrow EU or US spec? With or without baffle? But even then I don't think the loudest of them, the US spec without baffle would be as melodious as Akra or Yoshi. And are you running associated arrow map too?.

1. That if it’s dusty environment like here, stock paper filter is the way to go.

cheers!
We get the EU spec arrow in India with there being no way to remove the baffle. Yes, she is running the associated arrow map as well.

No video available yet of the Akrapovic but the Yoshimura Alpha T does sound absolutely fantastic.

I am keeping the stock filter as well and cleaning it every 3 months.

PM me your number- as you are in Delhi, we can meet and you can hear the bike for yourself before deciding on the Arrow upgrade. Another friend has the Scorpion on his RS and you can hear what that is like too.

Cheers
Rohan
Old 18th April 2018, 09:15   #132
BHPian

Quote:
Next on the list in the order of priority is radiator guard, bar end mirrors and maybe yoshimura/SC exhaust (Arrow’s sound ..
Got the radiator guard from EVO, 5 mins actual work with 4 mm Allen key, 30 min to find the Allen key set - priceless
Triumph Street Triple 765 - Launched at Rs. 8.50 lakh-img_20180418_063353.jpg

Triumph Street Triple 765 - Launched at Rs. 8.50 lakh-img_20180418_063412.jpg

The air passage holes are wide enough to not bother the radiator's functioning but there might be a little drop in air flow. So far in 100 odd kms, the number engine temp bars haven't increased or climbed up faster than prior to install.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caramba View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by shan_ned View Post
Though the belly pan looks like susceptible to scraping, it is actually not...
Quote:
Originally Posted by RohanDheman View Post
..And do not worry about the belly pan- no scrapes anywhere in 3 months. Just need to be a little careful- that is all.
Thanks for your hopeful words. So, it's been a few hundred kms since the belly pan graced the looks of Zohan. Have had been riding the bike through my routine route and elsewhere, and happy to report there are no scrapes at all. The speed and approach angles (to humps) are exactly same as prior to fitting the pan. Guess being careful and lucky enough to spot a hump on unexplored roads will save the pan. But then there will be these "hills" (in Caramba's words) near towns or villages from which there's no escaping with or without the pan; grimace, feel the scrape, cuss them out and move on.

cheers.
Old 3rd May 2018, 11:10   #133
BHPian

MWR makes some air-filters for the 765 Street triple series. I am not in favour of using one as my earlier experience with free-flow filters made my FZ1 run lean and hot. To make matters worse, a slip-on exhaust exacerbated the issue of running hot.

Now, this is my experience on the Yamaha FZ1, but unless you have a map designed for your ambient environment ( dyno- tested for our conditions), a slip-on or even an intake won't make much difference. Has anyone verified if the Triumph Dealership provided maps are designed for India?

Stock paper filters still are a better idea.
Old 25th June 2018, 11:05   #134
BHPian

After almost finalizing the Kawasaki Z900 last month, I took a long test ride of the Street Triple S and have booked it on Saturday.

I just fell in love with the slightly raw performance and the super light weight. Overall I had more fun on it. And I have more mental peace with the electronic safety net. I will live with the heavier clutch. What good are all those heavy one-arm dumbbell rows, otherwise?

Now waiting for my Diablo Red Street Triple S. Hopefully by next week.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 25th June 2018 at 12:21. Reason: Rule #11. Thanks.
amitg79 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2018, 12:20   #135
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitg79 View Post

Now waiting for my Diablo Red Street Triple S. Hopefully by next week.

Congrats Amit. I have the Red triple S too. Enjoy the rush.

Is Triumph showroom in Pune still on that corner of pashan road. I think VW or Tata used to be next to it. Or at same spot.

Most Viewed