Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports

Search this Thread
Old 2nd June 2017, 14:06   #1
BHPian

DIY : Frame sliders for my Ninja 650

Like my earlier fender mod on the N650 (link to thread), I carried out another mod job. We all know how important frame sliders are for super bikes/sports bikes. After the purchase of N650 I was in search of a suitable pair of frame sliders which will not only save my bike if fallen but also save my leg in case it falls on me. After days of searching couldn't find any frame slider which could fit my requirement. Every pair that I saw was smaller in length. I would have fit those frame slider anyway but there was on major reason to walk away from those. The mirrors on N650 are installed on the fairing and they come out much further than the width of the handle itself. So, if ever the bike falls on its side, mirrors would do the first contact with the ground. This would result in either the mirror stem getting broken or the fairing taking the toll of the impact.

To tell the truth the previous owner of my N650 has once fallen the bike and there is a crack on fairing along the mounting points on the mirror. So to be on the safer side and avoid such type of incidents I wanted the frame sliders to be long enough in avoiding the mirror contact with the ground.

Alas, I did not find any such pair of frame sliders. So I finally decided to make one for myself.

To start with the basic structure of rod I used a Delrin rod. Now Delrin is very common name but scientifically its named as Polyoxymethylene (POM) or even Poly-formaldehyde. It has a high strength, hardness and rigidity which make this material very suitable for this job. This material can be sourced from any local plastics supplier. I got myself a 2 ft rod with 2'' diameter.

Tools Needed:
  • Lathe
  • Drill press
  • Drill Bits (Long enough so that hole you can push it right through the length of rod)
  • Files (For polishing out)
  • Hack-saw

Now, before you start working make sure you have the basic wood working tools and some hands on experience with them. Foremost you must have a lathe and a drill press! Without these machines this job is nearly impossible.

Initially, I tried making one with a hand held drill machine and a bench vice, but the level of effort was very high and within minutes I was tired like hell! So took this job on a lathe and found out it to be more efficient.

Step 1: For my requirement, I needed my frame slider to be of minimum 6 inch in length. This length would make sure my rod is long enough that the mirrors won't kiss the ground if ever the bike falls. So using the hack-saw cut 2 rods for either sides.

Step 2: Installing the rod on lathe and ensuring the stock is 100% centered.
DIY : Frame sliders for my Ninja 650-img_20170513_131100.jpg

Step 3: Crafting out the rod as per your mounting preference and clearances on the bike. Over here I used a chisel to flat out the cut surface of the rod. Also used the same chisel to craft out the rod along its length. Rounded of the edges to give it a more of a professional and decent look. See the below image for more understanding.
DIY : Frame sliders for my Ninja 650-img_20170513_131105.jpg
Flattening out the cut surface.

DIY : Frame sliders for my Ninja 650-img_20170513_133121.jpg
Rounding of the edges

Ultimately after spending few hours I could make 1 of the frame slider. Repeated the same process on the other side frame slider.
DIY : Frame sliders for my Ninja 650-img_20170513_134201.jpg

Post this process I used a 20x10mm solid aluminium bar. The reason behind using this bar is because of its strength over the SS fabricated plates. Also it was easy for me to use aluminium plate as it a matter of only 2 holes: 1 for mounting on the bike frame, and the other for fastening of the frame slider on the bar. Sorry I did not take any pics during this process.

After making the plates mounted them on the engine mounting frame points near radiator. Did the same on the other side. See the below image where I mounted the bracket. I have circled the mounting point.
DIY : Frame sliders for my Ninja 650-2011kawasakininja650rdetailed_3.jpg

Ensured, clearances are enough between the bracket and engine and even if it bends will never hit the engine. Mounted the fairing for some extra measurement and after ensuring everything is aligned properly screwed up the frame sliders. While making these sliders I slightly miss calculated on the length of the rod and ended up getting only 4 inch of rod outside the fairing surface. But even after having only 4 inch of rod outside the fairing surface, these sliders are still way too much longer than those present in the market. For the time being these will do their job, later on when I again find time will make new ones of perfect length. (Touch-wood. They should never get tested)
DIY : Frame sliders for my Ninja 650-wp_20170519_16_27_01_pro.jpg
DIY : Frame sliders for my Ninja 650-wp_20170519_16_27_21_pro.jpg

Last edited by GTO : 2nd June 2017 at 17:46. Reason: Adding link to your other DIY :). Thanks for sharing!
sujay bhandare is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2017, 17:46   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: DIY : Frame sliders for my Ninja 650

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Motorcycle Section. Thanks for sharing!
Old 5th June 2017, 11:00   #3
Team-BHP Support

Excellent DIY, i understand the versys guys are also making sliders for themselves. What is the material used for the bobbin? And can you share more detailed picture of the clamps and mounting. That would be really useful for others.
Old 5th June 2017, 12:07   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Wonderful to know that you machined and DIY'ed this frame slider for your bike

It takes lot of interest and passion to come up with something like this

I know a fellow Versys owner who has come up with a whole bunch of DIY stuff that we bought and installed on our bikes

1. Frame Sliders
2. Mini Jack
3. Spools that act as protectors too for rear end of bike
4. Fork Protectors (Front)
5. Luggage Rack for Top-case
6. Side Rack for Saddle bags

Unfortunately, he decided to quit making this as it had become a full fledged work as many people started asking him to make and he was unable to focus on his IT paying job which is more important than this "hobby"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Excellent DIY, i understand the versys guys are also making sliders for themselves. What is the material used for the bobbin? And can you share more detailed picture of the clamps and mounting. That would be really useful for others.
I like this frame slider than what Versys owner made. That one was large and little crude in shape. This one aesthetically looks lot better
mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2017, 13:46   #5
Senior - BHPian

Excellent DYI and a very aesthetically good looking one for a practical problem as well.

One questions I do have though would be on the weight bearing capacity of these rods. Hopefully they never get tested, but if it does happen, how did you calculate the required capacity for these rods and how did you ensure that they will not bend/fold up on impact? sorry if these are noob questions, but those were the few thoughts that came to my mind immediately.
Old 6th June 2017, 05:28   #6
BHPian

A fine DIY job Looks almost like an OEM unit. I believe you can make the sliders for the Bar ends and Axles in similar way. Can't emphasize the importance of frame sliders. I have got Shogun sliders on mine. Planning to get the R&G Engine cover and Stator cover for the complete protection.
Old 6th June 2017, 10:52   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Wonderful to know that you machined and DIY'ed this frame slider for your bike

It takes lot of interest and passion to come up with something like this

I know a fellow Versys owner who has come up with a whole bunch of DIY stuff that we bought and installed on our bikes

1. Frame Sliders
2. Mini Jack
3. Spools that act as protectors too for rear end of bike
4. Fork Protectors (Front)
5. Luggage Rack for Top-case
6. Side Rack for Saddle bags
Thank you Mobike008. Passion is what drives us enthusiasts to make something useful of our spare times. After personally seeing the DIY type stuff on my N650, like your fellow Versys owner, I am too getting enquiries for making these stuff for some of my friends. The Mudguard I made for the rear wheel tops of the list of enquiries.
(Link to thread)

Actually the things you listed out are in back of my mind for my N650 and next DIY might be of the front and rear spools with protectors. Hopefully will get time to make these things.

On a side note, can you please share me the side rack for saddle bags, 'coz I am currently designing one and trying to figure out ways to mount it without disturbing the body!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dass View Post
Excellent DYI and a very aesthetically good looking one for a practical problem as well.

One questions I do have though would be on the weight bearing capacity of these rods. Hopefully they never get tested, but if it does happen, how did you calculate the required capacity for these rods and how did you ensure that they will not bend/fold up on impact? sorry if these are noob questions, but those were the few thoughts that came to my mind immediately.
Yes these Delrin rods are very tough and don't break easily. You can have a look at the datasheet on the adjacent link. (Delrin.pdf)
They possesses high tensile strength, creep resistance and toughness. I too had the similar questions like you and after some research zeroed on this Delrin material. They also have a very good co-efficient of friction too. This allows the bike to slide away in case of a fall and does not flip over. Yes the material wears down faster but also absorbs a lot of impact. I have tried to break this material on a 10 tonne press but failed to break it. It just expands and absorbs a lot of direct impact pressure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolBlueBiker View Post
A fine DIY job Looks almost like an OEM unit. I believe you can make the sliders for the Bar ends and Axles in similar way. Can't emphasize the importance of frame sliders. I have got Shogun sliders on mine. Planning to get the R&G Engine cover and Stator cover for the complete protection.
Yes, I too was surprised to gets such good results. They really seem like a OEM fit. I wanted good utility than aesthetics, but the results are in front of us. They are high on utility and also do not spoil the bike's look.
Bar end and axle sliders are on my mod list. When I will have a day to spare will be making them in the similar fashion like these frame sliders.

Last edited by sujay bhandare : 6th June 2017 at 11:00.
Old 8th June 2017, 11:10   #8
BHPian

Congratulations on a wonderful DIY mate.

Delrin is Homo-Polymer POM and it isn't usually used as it has been replaced by Co-Polymer POM for many applications. Most commercially available frame sliders are made from Acetals or Nylons. While the material is readily available from dealers nationwide, please do be careful as in my experience many dealers pawn of PP as POM and that is not a good material for frame sliders.
Old 8th June 2017, 14:02   #9
Senior - BHPian

Great DIY again. My only worry is how these grind themselves out in case of a slide. What a slider does is act like a lubricant between road and bike to gradually slow the speed while also applying friction. the same reason you see the sliders usually getting grounded during a slide.

This material should be similar to that property and ideally not be too rigid to even make it a catapult point and end up acting like a lever to simply breaking at the bolt point there by cause more damage to the body itself.

Just try some grinding test on a lathe and see how it reacts to sudden contact so you can have that extra knowledge.

Love DIY's and way to you. Next in your list should be a DIY, cheap cost paddle stand so i can replicate and create one here in Chennai.
Old 8th June 2017, 23:36   #10
BHPian

You have become a DIY King man. I just love this. Your frame sliders are beautiful looking. You should start this as a business.
Old 9th June 2017, 09:59   #11
Senior - BHPian

Well executed DIY. Can you please share photo of mounting bracket & total cost for this DIY?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sujay bhandare View Post
On a side note, can you please share me the side rack for saddle bags, 'coz I am currently designing one and trying to figure out ways to mount it without disturbing the body!
Not sure what you are looking for, however please have a look at this DIY thread.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...nja-300-a.html
Old 10th June 2017, 03:32   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dass View Post

To add to this, how big of a threaded bolt are you using to mount the slider to the bike? The ones on my SV650s are about 10 to 12mm long which apply clamp load to the slider, frame and then to the engine mount.

http://www.kawiforums.com/ninja-650r...reference.html

Above are quite a few options for 650 sliders, also if anyone is interested I do have a set of 650 sliders which came off of my buddies bike here in the US...i can take pictures of it to give an idea/option to anyone.
Old 13th June 2017, 11:08   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kailashnj View Post
You have become a DIY King man. I just love this. Your frame sliders are beautiful looking. You should start this as a business.
Haha Thanks mate. Its just the passion to work out something new by self is what drives to do such jobs. Not a business but yes will definitely help those who are interested in doing such mod jobs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by imp! View Post
Congratulations on a wonderful DIY mate.

Delrin is Homo-Polymer POM and it isn't usually used as it has been replaced by Co-Polymer POM for many applications. Most commercially available frame sliders are made from Acetals or Nylons. While the material is readily available from dealers nationwide, please do be careful as in my experience many dealers pawn of PP as POM and that is not a good material for frame sliders.
Yes I too have seen dealers giving out PP as POM. But pls be advised to always buy stuff like this from the distributors who supply these to industry. They do not con people!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
Great DIY again. My only worry is how these grind themselves out in case of a slide. What a slider does is act like a lubricant between road and bike to gradually slow the speed while also applying friction. the same reason you see the sliders usually getting grounded during a slide.

This material should be similar to that property and ideally not be too rigid to even make it a catapult point and end up acting like a lever to simply breaking at the bolt point there by cause more damage to the body itself.

Just try some grinding test on a lathe and see how it reacts to sudden contact so you can have that extra knowledge.

Love DIY's and way to you. Next in your list should be a DIY, cheap cost paddle stand so i can replicate and create one here in Chennai.
Delrin is good at self lubricating. Had once an opportunity to test this material long back and also a friend of mine helped me in this mod job. On a sudden contact it is quite hard and does not crack easily. Also it does grind away fast, thats why kept it long enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukiwa View Post
Not sure what you are looking for, however please have a look at this DIY thread.
DIY : Frame sliders for my Ninja 650-img_20170610_124617.jpg
I have used a 10x20 Aluminium square rod. You can see it in the attached image.
I had seen the link earlier but what I have in mind is a bit different. I'll be doing a frame type structure (just like our saree guards) which will be fastened on the grab handle bolts. Size of the frame will be equal to my saddle bag.
Old 13th June 2017, 11:45   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sujay bhandare View Post

Attachment 1647893
I have used a 10x20 Aluminium square rod. You can see it in the attached image.
Going by how it is mounted on to the frame, during a slide the bolt is more likely to experience a moment which will either try to bend or shear. So if its mounted directly on a frame, removing the sheared bolt will not be an easy job. Also you run the risk of damaging the threads on the frame.

Could you please clarify the above is not the case ?

Aftermarket sliders usually have some sort of inbuilt shock absorbers. most commonly a compression spring. The idea is to prevent any shock loads being transmitted to the frame when the bike is dropped during standstill. Delrin has good impact resistance. Still some amount of force is likely to be transmitted to the frame if my understanding is correct.

Sorry if I am nit-picking too much on your DIY.
Old 13th June 2017, 13:01   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vignesh_N/A View Post
Going by how it is mounted on to the frame, during a slide the bolt is more likely to experience a moment which will either try to bend or shear. So if its mounted directly on a frame, removing the sheared bolt will not be an easy job. Also you run the risk of damaging the threads on the frame.

Could you please clarify the above is not the case ?

Aftermarket sliders usually have some sort of inbuilt shock absorbers. most commonly a compression spring. The idea is to prevent any shock loads being transmitted to the frame when the bike is dropped during standstill. Delrin has good impact resistance. Still some amount of force is likely to be transmitted to the frame if my understanding is correct.

Sorry if I am nit-picking too much on your DIY.
Yeah what you say is true. In case of a fall the bolt will take all the beating. I too am concerned about this fact but the frame sliders which I have seen in market are all the same. (Note: I am talking about the No-Cut frame sliders)
All these frame sliders have a projected bracket. And for the spring loaded frame sliders, I haven't seen them in actual.

Most Viewed