Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports

Search this Thread
Old 27th June 2017, 06:18   #1
Senior - BHPian

BMW R1200GS - Stanchion separation issue. UPDATE: Recall announced.

Came across this news & sharing...

Quote:
On the 30th July 2016 I received a call from my mom that nobody ever wants to hear... "Gill, Your father has been in an accident. He went for a ride with the BMW club in the Sutherland mountains and his bike malfunctioned. He fell off and is in critical condition" "Will he be okay???" "I am not sure – I have just been called on the satellite phone by another rider..."
This was the start of a very heartbreaking phone call. Let me give a little backstory here..
My dad has always loved the BMW club. He has been riding their bikes for many years, and has been a faithful supporter, attending numerous rides with them and even doing an international BMW Bike holiday through Spain and France, which I had the privilege to join him on. Last year he bought a 2016 BMW GSA R1200 Adventure Bike to replace his 2014 model. He was over the moon with it, until he joined the BMW club for an offroad ride through the Sutherland Mountains.

The bike's stanchion collapsed as he rode over a tiny rut in the road, in convoy with 10 other riders. He was travelling at a speed of 45km/h when this occurred. The hydraulic oil shot all over his protective clothing and he was thrown off the bike, breaking 10 ribs, puncturing his lung, and breaking his shoulder. I thank God every day that he was wearing his neck brace and protective padding, because who knows what would have happened if he hadn't...
My dad eventually (12 hours later) landed up in the Worcester Medi Clinic, where he was rushed to ICU. The doctors immediately started performing different scans and Xrays, and found the punctured lung. They operated as soon as they could to drain the lung, and were successful.
1 year later, my dad is healthy and active again, but is still undergoing extensive rehabilitation for his shoulder injuries.
My dad is a righteous man, and he demanded that BMW conducted a formal investigation of the bike's malfunction. The parts were sent to Germany and were kept there for a few months.

BMW did NOT cover a single medical bill, which cost hundreds of thousands... BMW did not replace my dad's bike, which he bought for over R250 000 new... BMW has not paid my father a CENT for the months that he was forced to remain at home, severely impacting his quality of life... But worst of all, BMW has not even taken responsibility for their bike's failure.
Their official report stated the bike was NOT responsible for the accident, and that the "motorcycle had to endure one of the most severe impacts in order to sustain such damage..." As you can see in the video THIS IS A LIE! THE BIKE DID NOT ENDURE A SEVERE IMPACT AT ALL. The rut that he rode over was TINY, and he was travelling at 45km/h, which he have all of the GPS proof on the website here: http://bmwfatalflaw.com/tony-georgiou-the-full-story

If this were the only account of this accident, then maybe BMW would have a leg to stand on, but there have been MULTIPLE accounts of this same incident ALL OVER THE WORLD! Lives have not yet been taken, but BMW has got to recall this bike before innocent people start to die as a result of a manufacturing fault...
To make matters worse, the bike went in 3 days before the outride for a full spot check and to put on the off-road tires. BMW inspected the bike and found no fault.
We have put together a FB Page and website to gather all of the accounts of previous incidents, and have created a petition to hold BMW accountable
Website - http://bmwfatalflaw.com/

Source - https://www.facebook.com/ggeor12/pos...58922677750603

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 27th June 2017 at 11:30. Reason: Editing for ease of reading
aargee is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 27th June 2017, 06:38   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

From a highly desired bike will it become a bike to die for?

Grave design flaw if many incidences are being reported.
sudev is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2017, 08:15   #3
BHPian

Would be useful to have links of the other incidents alluded to in the original post. Also, the story is from a single side here. What was the detailed outcome of the investigation?
Old 19th July 2017, 13:28   #4
BHPian

They've finally announced a recall but as usual, claim that no customer bikes have been affected.

Quote:
BMW have issued a major recall for all R1200GS and R1200GS Adventure models manufactured between November 2013 and June 2017. BMW say that the fork stanchion can suffer damage if subjected to "momentary high stress", which can result in the fork tube coming loose. In worst case scenarios this can result in the fork becoming completely separated from the yoke, resulting in an immediate front-end failure.

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/2...ll-suspension/
djpeesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2017, 17:44   #5
BHPian

re: BMW R1200GS - Stanchion separation issue. UPDATE: Recall announced.

This isn't the first issue with the big GS. In 2015 they were recalled to have the alloy wheel flange replaced with steel. There are also various bits of evidence of cracking and complete failure of the alloy swing arm online. My personal view is that they've potentially biased the GS for road riding too much and compromised the ADV version.

A guy I know in passing from local bike meets is a hard-core biker who spends big money on bikes and does a lot of miles. He bought a K1600 when they were released and put 40k miles on it in pretty short order. He had all sorts of issues with the bike & basically felt like he was doing their R&D for them under warranty.

BMW bikes used to be heavy and a bit underpowered but just kept going and going. They were never fashionable and never sold in huge numbers, but were respected for their quality. The British Police used them for years. You see plenty of 25-40 year old ones still going in Europe and they have a reputation amongst bikers for being practical and as hard as nails in engineering terms. The new ones seem to be swinging the opposite way - big selling, fashionable, powerful and light but lower quality and fragile.
Rob UK is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th July 2017, 18:34   #6
BHPian

I knew this will come up on team-bhp, to let people know BMW India has already notified the R1200GS owner(at least to me) about the recall/service advisory and they are waiting for the part and special instrument for replacement.

Anything on a motorcycle can be serious, still this is a design issue and BMW has tried to address the issue with a new design clamp, they are checking for the Stanchion gap if its more than 0.20mm they will replace the stanchion or else fit the stachion with this new metal sleeve.

BMW R1200GS - Stanchion separation issue. UPDATE: Recall announced.-bmwservicebulletin.jpg

-Pramod
pramods is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 20th July 2017, 19:24   #7
Senior - BHPian

Adding a video regarding the same and a related link.

https://www.asphaltandrubber.com/rec...paign/
VW2010 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st July 2017, 12:54   #8
BHPian

Re: Superbike crashes in India

In continuation to the BMW front suspension drama-

'BMW Motorrad USA has issued a "stop sale" to BMW dealers, as documents for a recall with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration are being readied for release. The recall sees BMW Motorrad dealers inspecting the fixed fork tube on R1200GS models produced between*November 2013 and June 2017. If the inspected motorcycle has an excessively large gap between the fork pipe and the seal plug, then the fork cannot be repaired by the dealer, and must be replaced.'

https://www.asphaltandrubber.com/rec...0gs-adventure/

There is a full FB page dedicated to this, and major incident in South Africa that was well catalogued with GPS data (to counter any possible allegations of speeding etc)

https://www.facebook.com/GS1200ForkIssue/
Old 31st July 2017, 14:57   #9
BHPian

Received this on a Whatsapp group today. I dont have the background of the accident on this KA registered GSA, but seeing that the bike is otherwise intact, it could also be a case of the GS Stanchion/Fork issue. Not sure though as I see the rim has a dent so it is possible the fork gave way with the impact which has been the reason in the few reported cases worldwide.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/superb...announced.html

If anybody has the actual details of the incident, please feel free to share here.
Attached Thumbnails
BMW R1200GS - Stanchion separation issue. UPDATE: Recall announced.-img20170731wa0026.jpg  

BMW R1200GS - Stanchion separation issue. UPDATE: Recall announced.-img20170731wa0028.jpg  

BMW R1200GS - Stanchion separation issue. UPDATE: Recall announced.-img20170731wa0029.jpg  

Last edited by Haroon : 31st July 2017 at 15:01.
Old 31st July 2017, 16:00   #10
BHPian

I see a very BIG impact(last image, even the tire rubber have deformed) concentrated at a single point. This impact may be cause of this accident. The recall communication is done with me, but waiting for it to get done on my bike.

-Pramod
pramods is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2017, 13:10   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haroon View Post
Received this on a Whatsapp group today. I dont have the background of the accident on this KA registered GSA, but seeing that the bike is otherwise intact, it could also be a case of the GS Stanchion/Fork issue. Not sure though as I see the rim has a dent so it is possible the fork gave way with the impact which has been the reason in the few reported cases worldwide.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/superb...announced.html

If anybody has the actual details of the incident, please feel free to share here.
From the rider:
I hit a bad pot hole at about 30-40 kmph. It started wobbling. When I applied front brake, it yanked to the left. Thought I'd reach bhilwara which was 10 kms away. Increased speed to about 60-70 kmph and got another hazard and I locked brakes. The wheel and the front suspension collapsed. The bike fell on my right leg hard. Hence the fractures
djpeesh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th August 2017, 17:01   #12
BHPian

BMW R1200GS - Stanchion separation issue. UPDATE: Recall announced.

Finally my stanchions have the new clamp. BMW India is doing the recalls and checking/replacing the old stanchion and steel clamping them. I have to remove and ship them to service center as the clamping instrument are approx 100kgs and can't be transported out of service center! Nonetheless it fixed now, will be able to ride hard again. Hope others are also able to get the recall done soon

-Pramod

Last edited by pramods : 6th August 2017 at 17:10.
pramods is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed