Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th November 2017, 16:37   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: My Yamaha FZ1: Homecoming of a 12-year old following, 0.2642 gallons of fun

Quote:
I mean, the same pic is in Olx Chennai and is up for sale. Have the pics got messed up or am I missing something?
It is the same bike and it is my ad. I had that posted long back and i am actually in half a mind to let go for a different reason ( financial). But i am pretty much convinced about the price which will make my mind change from long term ownership to selling it and that will be the breaking point.

It is completely for a financial reason. Everyday i want to pull the ad out, but i will keep it as i know only a true FZ1 fan knows its value in stock and will pick it up at my asking price and that is going to be very difficult.

End of November i am travelling to Mumbai for Noc purpose. If i get that done the sale will be off as i will get it TN registered and the FZ1 spends eternity with me.

I am a bike junkie, but more like the traditional version. 12 year old bike, 7 year old car and 90 year old grandma. I think i take care of classics really well

Last edited by VW2010 : 6th November 2017 at 16:44.
VW2010 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2017, 13:11   #17
Senior - BHPian

The last two weeks of rain has ensured the bike is put up inside a garage. Good news is that the harpic is not eating into the metal and the pipes are as shiny as i left it.

I visit the garage once every two days, start the bike and let it warm up and then come back.

Fork seals have been procured and coming weekend is when i probably will be fixing the forks. In the mean time enjoy some calmness. There is a reason why motorcycles are bliss

Last edited by VW2010 : 16th November 2017 at 13:23.
VW2010 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th November 2017, 14:29   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
Given a second chance now, i would exactly the same thing. ..
I guess this line sums it up ! Nothing like the thrill of getting the baby home, isnt it ?

nicely written - the words seem to talk to you .

Congrats on the bike ! Dont stop having fun with it.
condor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2017, 00:04   #19
Senior - BHPian

FZ1 is a perfect bike for dwelling inside city while just letting everything loose when you decide to take her out of the city. Has exceptional engine and connects even a stranger to FZ1 on first ride. Prassy can vouch for this.

The bike is aimed for one thing. Get it to whine all the time. The strength are powerful brakes in the front (rear brakes i believe are just ok to have and i wouldn't be worried if a bike comes without a rear brake).

The levers are well spaced out and the tank design in relation to the seats provide one of the most snuggly feeling comfort on a bike. The riding position is upright and hardly any pain is felt on your shoulders or arms.

One thing that will throw you off is the strength that is required to keep the bike calm even while letting your adrenaline take over. Its very quick to catch up distance and does it with charm, calm and in its own unique way.

Last edited by Aditya : 17th November 2017 at 11:34. Reason: 'PM'ing you
Old 17th November 2017, 10:58   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats on the FZ-1

It's power is as raw as one can get and I was fortunate to ride along with one shod with an extremely sweet exhaust from GPR for several rides (http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/superb...amaha-fz1.html)

Harsha was an extremely careful rider and he used to be really slow most of the time and he would open up only when he sees a straight road with atleast 2-3kms visibility. And, boy when he used to open up, I would be left in the dust on my Bonnie

I even rode it for reasonably long distance so I know how it feels. It is indeed the most VFM 1-liter bike in the used market

But, in this age and world, will I plonk money on this powerful bike with 150 horses at your behest especially after knowing it does not even have an ABS. Well, I don't think I will do that as ABS is bare minimum safety equipment one needs for such powerful bikes

Enjoy the ride and be safe !!!
mobike008 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th November 2017, 12:03   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
But, in this age and world, will I plonk money on this powerful bike with 150 horses at your behest especially after knowing it does not even have an ABS. Well, I don't think I will do that as ABS is bare minimum safety equipment one needs for such powerful bikes
I see ABS as a major help for the beginners where riders will make mistake. Abs has its own limitations. The brakes on these bikes are very good and with some common sense one can ride at the right limit and have absolute fun. As i said earlier, if i do this again i will still pick the Fz1 over most modern electronics filled machines. To each his own is always true.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 17th November 2017 at 18:55. Reason: removed the line about discussing moderator action.
Old 17th November 2017, 18:02   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
. Prassy can vouch for this.

Absolutely!!

I had 0 experience on 600s, let alone a liter class!

I was more comfortable during the first ever on the fz1 than i was on the first ride of duke 390. Comfort meaning not the physical comfort, but the confidence and connect you get with the bike once you are on the saddle.

FZ1 let me push it as hard as my skills allowed me to. I would safely say I pushed it well as i have pushed my Duke 390.

What an amazing bike!! T.W.O on 3rd gear to see the double ton come up easily on the speedo!

ABS is overrated, personally to me. I had to do a high speed panic braking and it stopped without drama. I am sure even the duke 390 with ABS wouldnt have stopped in that distance.

Last edited by GTO : 18th November 2017 at 09:19. Reason: Please do NOT post about illegally high speeds
PrasannaDhana is online now   (1) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 17th November 2017, 18:59   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I see ABS as a major help for the beginners where riders will make mistake. Abs has its own limitations. The brakes on these bikes are very good and with some common sense one can ride at the right limit and have absolute fun. As i said earlier, if i do this again i will still pick the Fz1 over most modern electronics filled machines. To each his own is always true.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
ABS is overrated, personally to me. .
Why don't I see somewhat of myself in above comments? I call that as self denial or accepting what is available as the best even if it ain't true.

I was in same state myself till not long back until I experienced better things in life (ABS)

When I had the Bonnie, it had fantastic brakes (especially the front) and would stop like a dime but, that never took away it's fish-tailing habit moment it encounters even a wee bit of gravel.

There were innumerable times in 12,000kms that I did with it where I was all over the place due to unavailability of ABS (thankfully never fell down, maybe because I'm far from a newbie rider...Touchwood !)

And, I have never experienced drama like above even once in 20K kms on my Versys....So, ABS does HELP!!!

I have ridden the FZ1, it is a great bike no doubt. But, whatever we can claim nothing can replace the basic safety net like ABS which is being offered in 2 lakh rupee motorcycles and would be wary with such a powerful one like the FZ1 so ride carefully in gravel conditions

Quote:
I am sure even the duke 390 with ABS wouldnt have stopped in that distance
Since when did ABS help you reducing the braking distance?

This is what ABS does https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-lock_braking_system . It has nothing to do with how quickly you stop from a certain speed to nought.

Last edited by mobike008 : 17th November 2017 at 19:04.
mobike008 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th November 2017, 20:49   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post

Since when did ABS help you reducing the braking distance?

This is what ABS does https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-lock_braking_system . It has nothing to do with how quickly you stop from a certain speed to nought.
Please read that article fully.

ABS prevents wheel from locking, thus increasing friction, more friction = more resistance to motion = faster deceleration = lesser time/distance to stop.
PrasannaDhana is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 17th November 2017, 23:06   #25
Senior - BHPian

There is no denying the safety net of ABS. ABS is an insurance when you have 10L in hand and you get admitted to Apollo. You know you need more and thats when the insurance helps.

Don't want to digress the discussion and say non ABS is safer than ABS or vice versa.

I don't ride the FZ1 like one should when it rains or when slippery. No brakes will help without ABS which prevents the wheel lock. As i said earlier the common sense kicks in me to ride the bike way below its dry comfort zone, knowing it cannot stop when the roads are wet. This is where an ABS bike will help.

On dry surface and even gravels (gravels- Even ABS is not going to work and can get counter productive) the FZ1 has enough brakes. Secondly the engine braking on the i4 is phenomenal.

Summary - No second option to ABS. Still i prefer an FZ1 over the bikes loaded with all these electronics. Heck i still ride a drum brake bullet at its limits.

Last edited by VW2010 : 17th November 2017 at 23:07.
Old 18th November 2017, 06:00   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Heck i still ride a drum brake bullet at its limits.
which is 80kmph, I can do a flintstone foot braking and stop it at such slow speeds
PrasannaDhana is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 18th November 2017, 08:06   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
which is 80kmph, I can do a flintstone foot braking and stop it at such slow speeds
This we know you definitely can . You can stop the bike by simply standing up and letting the bike go away from you. You are our "MALAI"
Old 23rd November 2017, 14:41   #28
BHPian

Nice write up. I also own a FZ1 (My second FZ1) and am in Chennai.
The simplicity of the FZ1 formula is what works for me.
Minimal electronics, Reliable,Good handling, Good brakes and awesome power!

As someone who likes to fiddle with his bikes, mine is not stock but remains a reliable workhorse. Long list of addons that started with a slipon and ended up with a ECU reflash.

Fill the tank, regular oil changes and keep the air filter clean and thats it! This bike loves to be ridden and ridden hard as well. Have more than 30000 km combined on my FZ1(s).

Lots of new bikes on the market but nothing has grabbed me enough to warrant a change. Well if Yamaha actually got off their collective a**** and release the MT10.......

This bike can still scare the living daylights out of me and they say you should always be slightly scared of the bike you ride.

Last edited by san9jay : 23rd November 2017 at 14:42. Reason: reduce whitespace
san9jay is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th November 2017, 01:40   #29
BHPian

@VW2010: I own an old school big bike and I agree with the fact that these bikes (without ANY electronics) do teach you to make sure you know your limits, because one mistake and it will bite back. And bite back hard.

Quote:
Please read that article fully.

ABS prevents wheel from locking, thus increasing friction, more friction = more resistance to motion = faster deceleration = lesser time/distance to stop.
OT: Ideally speaking, locking the wheels would reduce the stopping time because sliding friction is always greater than rolling friction. It's the sideways forces (however little) that make the bike impossible to control once the front wheel locks. Which is why you'll see that some bikes come with ABS that can be switched off at the rear wheel. Only reason is, if there is lack of traction, a sliding (read locked) rear wheel will always make the bike stop faster, not to mention a rear wheel slide is much easier to control.
dreamseller is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2017, 12:52   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamseller View Post
OT: Ideally speaking, locking the wheels would reduce the stopping time because sliding friction is always greater than rolling friction. It's the sideways forces (however little) that make the bike impossible to control once the front wheel locks. Which is why you'll see that some bikes come with ABS that can be switched off at the rear wheel. Only reason is, if there is lack of traction, a sliding (read locked) rear wheel will always make the bike stop faster, not to mention a rear wheel slide is much easier to control.

This video says otherwise

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks