Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports

Search this Thread
Old 24th November 2017, 13:05   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: My Yamaha FZ1: Homecoming of a 12-year old following, 0.2642 gallons of fun

Quote:
because one mistake and it will bite back. And bite back hard.
I say the same thing. Its a good insurance to have but not a deal breaker for me when buying a bike.

Lesser tech on a bike the better it is for me. If i am gong to ride a bike thinking i have the insurance to make a mistake, for me that becomes a problem. I rather ride with the fear that all it takes is one mistake and then hope for some magic.
VW2010 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2017, 20:19   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vignesh_N/A View Post
This video says otherwise
Sir, I'm not sure who this gentleman is, and what authority he holds on the subject of classical mechanics, but the very basis of using a rounded surface (rollers, wheels, bearings, etc.) wherever movement is involved is the fact that rolling friction is always lesser than sliding friction. You may not believe me, which is totally acceptable, but I'd suggest consulting any Physics book and that would tell you the same.
What I agree to, and had said earlier as well, the problem starts when you can't change directions on a wheel that is sliding because the momentum has a vector (velocity) that takes the mass towards a single direction.

Anyway, we've gone way OT and I'll refrain from discussing it on this thread (my apologies, VW2010). If you're interested, I can quantify my statement with equations and share over PM.
Old 25th November 2017, 09:15   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Anyway, we've gone way OT and I'll refrain from discussing it on this thread (my apologies, VW2010).
I think it is perfectly fine to have some science on the thread. It makes it too gassy without science. Now how will this change when surface changes makes it more challenging.

For example abs on a gravel surface vs abs on a wet surface. They represent completely opposite problems to deal with, with respect to ABS systems.
Old 25th November 2017, 16:11   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
I think it is perfectly fine to have some science on the thread. It makes it too gassy without science. Now how will this change when surface changes makes it more challenging.

For example abs on a gravel surface vs abs on a wet surface. They represent completely opposite problems to deal with, with respect to ABS systems.
Totally agreed. The layer of water between the tyre and road surfaces totally changes the dynamics of friction. Which is why I said used

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamseller View Post
OT: Ideally speaking.....
in my earlier comment. All said and done, I reckon we all agree that an ABS is a good aid to have on a vehicle.

P.S. I'm tempted by your DIY to clean the pipes on my bike. The shine looks gorgeous after cleaning them.
Old 2nd February 2018, 19:49   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
The last two weeks of rain has ensured the bike is put up inside a garage. Good news is that the harpic is not eating into the metal and the pipes are as shiny as i left it.

I visit the garage once every two days, start the bike and let it warm up and then come back.

Fork seals have been procured and coming weekend is when i probably will be fixing the forks. In the mean time enjoy some calmness. There is a reason why motorcycles are bliss.
Is this one of the CTS offices in Chennai? CKC?

Perhaps, we could catch up!
Old 13th February 2018, 22:13   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamseller View Post
Sir, I'm not sure who this gentleman is, and what authority he holds on the subject of classical mechanics, but the very basis of using a rounded surface (rollers, wheels, bearings, etc.) wherever movement is involved is the fact that rolling friction is always lesser than sliding friction.
Hello,

I dont like to make things personal so I will refrain from replying to your comment about the credibility of the guy in the video.

As for the science, you keep referring to something called rolling friction. Please read up more about it. Rolling friction is the resistance to free roll of a body which is in contact with another. So yes rolling resistance is very low when compared to sliding. But you use rolling friction term in braking? Rolling friction is what a vehicle experiences when free rolling on the road. When you are braking, you consider only the contact patch. Which is in continuous contact with the ground. So when breaking, the wheel (contact patch) is experiencing limiting friction (static friction). Which is far higher than sliding friction, which by the way decreases as relative speed increases.

Now if you want to go deeper into dynamics, you will not accelerate or decelerate if your slip is 0% (ie perfect contact). The best acceleration or deceleration is experienced at about 10%-20% slip depending tire specs and road conditions.

Now coming to ABS, its primary function is to provide the ability to steer by inhibiting the locking of the wheel. It also reduces braking distance for most commoners like me (who cannot keep the wheel in the best slip range at all time). Only extremely skilled drivers/riders who balance their braking pressure at the very limit of traction (F1/MotoGp etc.,) can stop faster than an ABS enabled vehicle. But with increasingly sophisticated control systems, that fact will most likely be history.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif
rangakishen is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th July 2018, 17:46   #37
BHPian

Hi, a OLXer here, I am looking at this Fz1 converted to Fazer with the Yamaha typical twin headlight and small faring, but I am a sucker for full faring. Can a faring be fitted too? I am in bglore / Coimbatore belt.
I am attracted by the usability of this FZ, the pedigree of a Yamaha with rx100 and then r15 as my initial bikes. This one I want as a highway bike, i would prefer this Fazered bike with a faring than a cbr650f. Can that be done without affecting the performance quality?

Most Viewed