Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th November 2006, 04:22   #1
BHPian

The New Ducati 1098

I guess Ducati and Ducati CEO Federico Minoli were trying to keep the new 2007 Ducati 1098 under wraps for the last couple of months. No one knew what the new bike looked like, what its specifications were and its price. Rumors floated on the net and spyshots popped up like wild mushrooms. Last week, MCN got the latest spy shots of the new bike from the Ducati factory itself and added fire to the frenzy.

Ducati CEO Federico Minoli runs his own blog and decided to reveal the bike, atleast over the internet, a week before the scheduled date of November 15, 2007.

The bike looks rather mean. I think it has a bit of the Ninja and the R1 in its facia. The base price of the bike is $ 15,000, still a couple thousand more than the R1 or the ZX10R. Specifications include 160 HP and 172 kg weight.

I included the link of the CEO blog which has a link of the slideshow of the new bike. Sorry for such a loop-de-loop approach but there is no better way of getting the info than straight from the horse's mouth.

Enjoy!!!.

http://blog.ducati.com/post/90/la-nu...098-godetevela

(Click on the link where it says "click here". The slideshow starts up.
Old 9th November 2006, 04:52   #2
BHPian

minor update

A typo crept in - the bike was scheduled to be shown at the Milan Bike show on November 15, 2006.

I mistakenly wrote it down as November 15, 2007. Apologies for the typo.
Old 9th November 2006, 10:52   #3
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the link dude , Ducati is one brand which we can only dream of here
Old 9th November 2006, 11:31   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyboy
Thanks for the link dude , Ducati is one brand which we can only dream of here

Interesting that you mention this. About 3 years ago, there was an ad in Autocar and Overdrive from an "official" ducati importer in india. The email ID was ducatiindia@hotmail.com, if i remember correctly.

I had sent a mail to him since I was seriously contemplating an SBK those days, and he reverted saying that they can sell the 996 will full warranty and papers, imported directly from Italy and the delivery will take about 2 weeks. He claimed that they had got the bikes ARAI certified.

Never followed up since the privce quoted was too steep- 15L.

Dont know if this person is still around or if he was genuine.
Old 9th November 2006, 11:42   #5
Senior - BHPian

Ya ?? Thats certainly news to me Himanshu.I am not too sure this would be a genuine import ,probably someone who is looking at making a quick buck .. I am sure there would have been a few ducatis around even with this kind of tag, had this been genuine .
Old 9th November 2006, 11:55   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyboy
Ya ?? Thats certainly news to me Himanshu.I am not too sure this would be a genuine import ,probably someone who is looking at making a quick buck .. I am sure there would have been a few ducatis around even with this kind of tag, had this been genuine .

My thoughts exactly! Looked to me to be a fly by night operator- I mean, imagine giving out a hotmail ID!!!!
Old 9th November 2006, 12:31   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami
My thoughts exactly! Looked to me to be a fly by night operator- I mean, imagine giving out a hotmail ID!!!!
i know , thats what struck me as odd too .And this would have been all over the automotive news .BTW the quote in your signature is one of my fav calvin quotes :-) Love that kid
Old 9th November 2006, 13:39   #8
Team-BHP Support

i remember reading about this when i had joined the forum way back in 2004. Bikersg had i think writted to this guy, and prices quoted were 30 lakh upwards.

manson.
Old 9th November 2006, 14:12   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson
i remember reading about this when i had joined the forum way back in 2004. Bikersg had i think writted to this guy, and prices quoted were 30 lakh upwards.

manson.
lol some smart a** i must say... hope ppl didnt get duped by this guy
Old 9th November 2006, 14:48   #10
BHPian

the 1098 has to be the most gorgeous bike ever! looks like i'll have to rethink that 998!

i had contacted the 'official' ducati dealer in india. he was getting them officially from Ducati Italy, but then importing them into India on TR. he was offering full warranty from Ducati Italy. But the prices were just too high.

dont really know the 'legality' of the bikes though, as there are some rules attached to TR bikes - like not being able to sell for 2 years (i think)!

SG
Old 14th December 2006, 06:58   #11
BHPian

the 1098 is definitely a hot bike. but is it hot ducati? like no-fear mentioned its looks so Japanese! hey no_fear did u read Dec 06 Motorcyclist edition. 1098 is featured in it. There's an externally accessible usb port to the ECU on this bike for modifications. Thats a cool feature! Duc' is back to single -sided swing-arm for this bike!
the duc 999 is 3K USD more expensive and actually heavier than the 1098! Anyway whether it looks Italian enough or not, from what I see at people's responses they've been dying to own one!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks