Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports

Search this Thread
Old 11th July 2017, 22:13   #31
BHPian

Re: 2017 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 launched @ 9.98 lakh

Well, both z900 and ninja 1000 are different bikes for different people. Z 900 is meant to be driven in and around town with maybe occasional long ride ie. 300-400 kms breakfast rides, whereas ninja 1000 is a sports tourer.

With regards to engine z900 also carries the same same engine as ninja 1000 but is bored out differently ie 1048 cc 948 cc. Power wise also they are similiar ie 140 bhp vs 125 bhp with weight advantage going to z 900. So, i guess performance wise both should be similiar.

Now its up to individual buyers to make up there mind what exactly they want from their bike...short city runs or touring capabilities and 3 lakhs definitely is not a small amount although you get traction control and other electronics plus full fairing.

I feel for city riding z900 fits the bill perfectly and for people looking for touring capabilities ninja 1000 it is.

Personally i would opt for z900 although i can extend my budget for ninja 1000.
reasons being

1. More or less same power
2. no fairing so less chances of expensive repairs in case of a fall.
3. less weight and more nimble for city driving.
4. more of a hooligan bike (more fun)
5. 3 lakhs saved can be invested in getting bike accessories and quality rider gears.
6. No electronics expect abs, so less chances of electronic going haywire.

But then its my personal opinion as i know i wont be using the bike for touring as i prefer touring in my suv with wifey and kids.

If for some reason i want to go for a touring bike in future then again i would prefer verys 650.

Last edited by ashroy_6 : 11th July 2017 at 22:20.
ashroy_6 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th July 2017, 22:13   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post

Sorry, but can't help but point out the bias in this, since are further taking it OT.

PS - Triumph, Harley and Benelli deserve a pat on the back as well.
Oh well, I might have sounded biased, and sorry if I did, 'cause I really didn't mean to. In fact, going by your responses, you are the one seeming to have some kind of bias towards I don't really know what .

Of course the folks at Triumph, Harley, etc have a good setup. I didn't say anything against them btw. I just quoted a good example that I would go for in the current scenario if I wanted a faired sports cruiser. I wouldn't choose the N1000 even though it obviously is very enticing in itself right now. Even if I had the extra 3 lac odd from the Cber. But that's me. Those who think it's fit to take the plunge, well, their choice. It's a free country.

P.S.- and if you seriously think that a bike like CBR650f as an example is "bread crumbs", well, I have nothing to say to you.

Last edited by pixantz : 11th July 2017 at 22:17.
pixantz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2017, 10:00   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Very true.

However, problem is that Kawasaki by themselves are a new entity in the Indian market. But they won't get the leeway a new brand gets in the Indian market because we associate the brand through their Bajaj presence for long.

Suddenly there are a lot of customers who bought these bikes in the Bajaj days, caught either with the lack of network due to less showrooms, or caught up with the spare prices because Kawasaki needs to act like a premium bike maker now to stay on their own feet.

I too look at Kawasaki's current pricing as a step in the right direction but we all know that they have been in the Indian market for years. With that in mind, they certainly are dragging their feet and plodding through these few months. Did they really not foresee all the challenges with setting up their own service centres? Could they not have planned to keep spares in stock to tide over these few months? All of this smacks of rank amateurism and not something that a leading player in the market that has an updated product list would do!

If this was a new entrant to the market I would have forgiven these initial shortcomings but I certainly dont look at this as the first 3 months for Kawasaki in India but instead as the start of a second innings for them. And with that perspective, other than the pricing, right now there really isnt much going for them.

However, I am willing to be pleasantly surprised and hope Kawasaki can get its act together. Between my car and bike ownership experiences with products from Fiat, Honda, Bajaj, Yamaha and RE, I have had the best experience with RE. If an old dog like RE can learn new tricks, no reason that Kawasaki cant!
neil.jericho is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th July 2017, 10:32   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Sriram, why not an adv tourer? Are you really just going to use the bike for short runs? No long touring plans? Honestly the only bikes that make sense for india, and indian roads are the plush, high ground clearance, adv tourers.
I really don't do long distance travels - And, somehow don't have an eye for Adv Tourrers. I am however lured by the plush ride (as mentioned by you). I'll try the Versys (or others) once before I decide. I'd like to use it as a daily ride, and that's one thing going against the adventure tourers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixantz View Post
Well, the 250R was not a superbike and it doesn't fit a mention in this thread. It's another topic. Honda treats it like the regular "crowd".
I don't care - When CBR250R was launched it was the most expensive in the line up, in Bangalore. I don't understand why you'd expect me to buy a even more expensive stuff from a manufacturer who were borderline insulting during my previous purchase.

Quote:
If you go for the 650f, you get all your service done at different service facilities called 'Honda Wings', just in case you didn't know. This facility is worlds apart in the experience you get. Honda apparently figured that you needed to be segregated from the regular bikes to have special attention for the special machines. Personally I think it's great that they did this, that to in India.
Good for Honda, 'That to in India'

Quote:
Well don't go expecting a spa treatment for yourself too, they're not that good as people tend to expect sometimes, but they're pretty good at what they started.
This statement reeks of arrogance.
sriramv.iyer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2017, 10:36   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

As a daily ride, you need torque... And only the triumph street twin or Bonnie's can play that card right. Any of these bikes from kawa as a daily ride to work is asking for trouble, though i know many who commute using the versys, and so do i.
Red Liner is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th July 2017, 10:45   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
As a daily ride, you need torque... And only the triumph street twin or Bonnie's can play that card right. Any of these bikes from kawa as a daily ride to work is asking for trouble, though i know many who commute using the versys, and so do i.
hi,

Can you please elaborate
Old 12th July 2017, 10:47   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashroy_6 View Post
hi,

Can you please elaborate
Low down torque to ride the bike at crawling speeds in 2nd or 3rd gear or to slow down and accelerate over speed breakers without shifting gears down to 1 is what i meant. This constancy in shifting gears really gets to you and the bike.

Nasir kaka, an inmate here, owns both the bonnie and the versys 650. He will be best placed to elaborate further. Will ping him.

God, the africa twin in dct guise begins to make more and more sense now.

Last edited by Red Liner : 12th July 2017 at 10:48.
Old 12th July 2017, 10:55   #38
Team-BHP Support

That's the charecter of most inline4 engines, and in comparison - the Ninja 1000 should be a lot more rideable.

But the twins mostly blow them all away when it comes to city driveability. But then, the appeal of all those bikes is also different.

Ninja 1000 can at best be a more practical, comfort oriented version of the litre class superbike. Not a very good daily ride, or a very capable tourer.
Old 12th July 2017, 12:10   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Nasir kaka, an inmate here, owns both the bonnie and the versys 650. He will be best placed to elaborate further. Will ping him.
Aiyyo Sir! what you putting a poor soul into?? i have never even been close to any of these 900 to 1000cc inline4s with 120+ BHPs. consider them to be too superior machines for modest riders like myself.
Coming from riding bullets, versys 650 made perfect sense for riding in India, as it was marketed as versatile-system: ready for good roads, bad roads, ghats, highways and cities. In reality, its a tall bike, not ideal for city, lacks low end torque, feels like lugging below 30kmpl in 2nd gear, need the revs to be kept high and so on. Come open roads/bad roads and the bike transforms in to a mile munching machines, very very comfortable on suspension, ergonomics, and protection from elements in terms of fairing, adjustable windscreen, etc.
Coming from bullet fraternity, bonnie was a big crush much before triumph even entered India. Was getting a decent deal so picked-up a used (2014 bonnie SE) and this bike compliments the versys very-well. Use the bonnie for daily commuting and it feels like a marriage between a bullet and 390 duke. The lowend torque is amazing from the 865cc mill and one can putter around easily at lower speeds without shifting frequently - a boon for city. But take it on highway and wind-blast is an issue and so is slightly sporty posture. Different horses for different courses i guess but these bikes compliment each other well.

Bringing the technology angle in between: i recently had a crash on my bonnie. I am used to riding 390 duke and versys 650 for a while both of which have ABS and spoil us with braking. accustomed to slamming brakes in panic situation, did that on bonnie and next moment i was sliding along with the bike for quite some distance. post this incident, a part of me says to trade the bonnie for a used Street twin mainly for ABS and electronic aids. Ok, i guess have drifted enough off topic. will stop here.

PS: for liter class inline4, meant for touring, even versys 1K is very good and comfortable option with adjustable suspension, abs, traction, modes, etc. Very underrated.

Last edited by nasirkaka : 12th July 2017 at 12:17.
Old 12th July 2017, 12:21   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriramv.iyer View Post

I don't care - When CBR250R was launched it was the most expensive in the line up, in Bangalore. I don't understand why you'd expect me to buy a even more expensive stuff from a manufacturer who were borderline insulting during my previous purchase.
Though CBR250R was quite expensive at the time, it still didn't, and doesn't even today qualify as a superbike. Now this thread is discussing superbike/s from Kawasaki and the superb pricing as you may have noticed in the name of the thread. So the relevance of your cbr250 woes was lost on me. But I didn't mean for you to buy a Ninja 1000. You can go to a 'Wings' facility as of today(which was surely not there during your last fiasco) and book the bike there(if you wish). Yes, Bangalore folks have reportedly had bad times, but you can always go to another dealer. Down south, things get pretty dicey sometimes with some dealers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriramv.iyer View Post
This statement reeks of arrogance.
Would you care to explain? Apparently you are still pissed off with the said Honda dealer and/or don't take to humour very kindly. Disclaimer: I mean no offence to anyone at any time.
Old 12th July 2017, 12:44   #41
BHPian

As has been said numerous times, this is wonderful pricing.
With this, can we expect Kawasaki to do an SKD assembly and drop the price of Z1000 as well?

Paying 14.4L for Z1000 while you can get a Z1000SX for 9.98L makes no sense as both cost almost the same outside India (Z is ~1% cheaper).

Z1000 at 9.9L would be an awesome deal.

Last edited by theredliner : 12th July 2017 at 12:46.
Old 12th July 2017, 15:26   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am thinking very hard if I should pick up the Z900 or the Ninja 1000.
Just get the Ninja 1000. You will stop wondering what to get next. Any trivial factors that made you lust for another one gets killed. The V Twin has such a linear and beautiful power delivery. Some like inline like me. The raw grunt, the sweet exhaust and the jerky top 3000 rpm. The ninja will suit any kind of riding including tea shop ride at the end of your house. Z900 is still not a litre class. Period.

Last edited by VW2010 : 12th July 2017 at 15:27.
VW2010 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th July 2017, 16:18   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
Just get the Ninja 1000. You will stop wondering what to get next. Any trivial factors that made you lust for another one gets killed. The V Twin has such a linear and beautiful power delivery. Some like inline like me. The raw grunt, the sweet exhaust and the jerky top 3000 rpm. The ninja will suit any kind of riding including tea shop ride at the end of your house. Z900 is still not a litre class. Period.
Thanks! Makes sense! I still plan to have my KTM D390 as a backup ride.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theredliner View Post
As has been said numerous times, this is wonderful pricing.
With this, can we expect Kawasaki to do an SKD assembly and drop the price of Z1000 as well?

Paying 14.4L for Z1000 while you can get a Z1000SX for 9.98L makes no sense as both cost almost the same outside India (Z is ~1% cheaper).

Z1000 at 9.9L would be an awesome deal.
+1 - It makes sense to revise Z1000 as well. In many markets, Ninja 1000 is called Z1000SX

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixantz View Post

Would you care to explain? Apparently you are still pissed off with the said Honda dealer and/or don't take to humour very kindly. Disclaimer: I mean no offence to anyone at any time.
I am still pissed with Honda and I am reasonably funny. Was put off when you said 'Don't expect a spa treatment for yourself' - If it was meant to be funny, no offense taken

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasirkaka View Post

Bringing the technology angle in between: i recently had a crash on my bonnie. I am used to riding 390 duke and versys 650 for a while both of which have ABS and spoil us with braking. accustomed to slamming brakes in panic situation, did that on bonnie and next moment i was sliding along with the bike for quite some distance. post this incident, a part of me says to trade the bonnie for a used Street twin mainly for ABS and electronic aids. Ok, i guess have drifted enough off topic. will stop here.
I blindly refuse to buy any bike if it doesn't have ABS. A few bikes I badly want to have are Kawasaki Ninja 300 / Yamaha R3 and the FZ25. I close my eye and overrule them because of lack of ABS. ABS has saved my skin too many times to ignore its benefit in panic situations. (Machine > Man)
sriramv.iyer is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th July 2017, 14:21   #44
Team-BHP Support

Gets compared to the Ducati Supersport and comes out on top

CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2017, 16:00   #45
Senior - BHPian

The more I look at it, the more it looks like a complete package. Question is, is it really a Sports Tourer? Can it do cross country touring? Though it is surely being marketed as one with those panniers and that big adjustable windscreen. Can the wider seat be made more comfortable with the optional gel seat? Do these gel things actually work to take on 6-7 hours of riding? Actual owners response will be appreciated.

Cheers...

Last edited by dkaile : 14th July 2017 at 16:16.

Most Viewed