Team-BHP - Harley-Davidson releases all-new 2018 Softail line, kills Dyna
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Superbikes & Imports (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/superbikes-imports/)
-   -   Harley-Davidson releases all-new 2018 Softail line, kills Dyna (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/superbikes-imports/189671-harley-davidson-releases-all-new-2018-softail-line-kills-dyna.html)

Harley-Davidson releases all-new 2018 Softail line, kills Dyna

Source - https://www.revzilla.com/common-trea...ine-kills-dyna

As a 2013 Heritage Softail owner link, I hate what they have done to the classic line-up. Totally new chassis, single monoshock, dual balancers in the engine, 20kg weight reduction, steel replaced by aluminum, smoother engines, better cornering abilities, all LED headlights as standard, standard usb port, BUT this ain't a Harley no more. Personally, if I wanted all these modern touches, I would have bought a Kawasaki :) (which I am shortly, anyways).

2018 Heritage Softail
Harley-Davidson releases all-new 2018 Softail line, kills Dyna-2018_harleydavidson_heritage_classic.jpg

2018 Fat Boy
Harley-Davidson releases all-new 2018 Softail line, kills Dyna-2018_harleydavidson_fat_boy.jpg

And on a positive note, it will make our existing Harleys a masterpiece...lolz

My 2013 Heritage Softail
Harley-Davidson releases all-new 2018 Softail line, kills Dyna-heritage-softail-15032017_1.jpg

Cheers...

Quote:

Originally Posted by dkaile (Post 4256454)
Harley-Davidson releases all-new 2018 Softail line, kills Dyna

Totally new chassis, single monoshock, dual balancers in the engine, 20kg weight reduction, steel replaced by aluminum, smoother engines, better cornering abilities, all LED headlights as standard, standard usb port, BUT this ain't a Harley no more.

I appreciate all they have done, except for the LED lights.

Big Old Bulbs & thick glass reflectors have an old world charm, which cannot be replicated by undersized Leds.

Thanks dkaile!

The 2018 Fat Boy looks absolutely smashing. Any idea when these models will find their way to India?

On a side note - waiting for your comprehensive review of the Kawasaki Ninja 1000:)

Cheers

Fat Boy is looking much more macho / bulky.
Except LED headlights, Softail is also good. Old shape headlights used to give it a classic look.
Early 2019 could be the time we can see these in India.

I like it a lot!!

The Milwaukee 107 is a really good motor and the new frame is giving good impression.

All the people I know who like it old school including dkaile Saab have already got their rides and I'm glad Harley is updating the range.

Can't get away calling them tractors anymore.lol:

HD India website has been updated and lists them as 2018 models. So it might be sooner than some might guess.

Cheers

Ride Safe

Another model which is seen over there is the Harley Street 500!!!

Looks awesome and hope they bring it here and price it likewise too, those would be exciting times indeed. Wonder what would happen to the mid-premium range then.

https://motorcycles.harley-davidson....treet-500.html

The star of the show now has to be the FatBoy! Very contemporary! The way all the components come together is amazing! They have modernized an old line up and I guess this was needed to boost the sales.

Dheeraj ji I feel thats exactly the reason now more people will buy it instead of the Kawasaki. The bike is tighter, it is lighter, handles better, more reliable owing to this new engine platform. This will usher a new portion of bikers to delve into the Harley.
Something like what happened to RE. Even though they are still facing problems, they are miles ahead of the pre 2009 era when owning a RE was a seperate project itself.

My eyes are set on the FatBoy. And I'm hoping the 114 does get launched in India.

Oh and that freight train headlamp has me drooling! They rightly have mentioned- "all-you-can-eat satin chrome"!

I personally believe that the star of the show is the new Fat Bob. It just looks brilliant in the new avatar and complements the new tech.

Harley-Davidson releases all-new 2018 Softail line, kills Dyna-1503543805594.jpg

Harley-Davidson releases all-new 2018 Softail line, kills Dyna-1503543821228.jpg

What I am disappointed is the treatment meted out to the Heritage Softail. No chrome and all blacked out. There is no "heritage" left in the Heritage anymore... Lolz. Also I doubt they will launch the 114 in the Softail range seeing as the company has a habit of shortchanging the Indian customers. Still your return back to the Fat Boy will be eagerly anticipated Navpreet.

Cheers...

Oh my, the Fat Bob is so yummy! Any views on if the ride is crashy or have the suspensions been made more pliable for roads such as in India?

Quote:

Originally Posted by dkaile (Post 4257057)
I personally believe that the star of the show is the new Fat Bob. It just looks brilliant in the new avatar and complements the new tech.

Completely agree dkaile. I'm not a big fan of HDs in general (no offence just personal) but I saw the Fat Bob yday and couldn't stop checking out more and more pics of it. It is absolutely drop dead gorgeous and bad ass.

Its been a while since I have been so completely taken in by a bike like that.

I just wish at those price points they'd provide a bit more electronic aids with their bikes. I think you still don't get much over ABS and some other basic stuff. (As you can see I'm not in the purist school of thought when it comes to these things - particularly two wheels).

PS: Which Kawasaki are you buying btw?

Quote:

Originally Posted by dkaile (Post 4257057)

Attachment 1669265

Attachment 1669266

I know what my next upgrade is. Not able to find adjectives to describe how much I have fallen in love with this machine. Reminds me of Apocalyptic bikes from Madmax.

wow.. That's one of the best looking harley i have seen in a long time. loved the chunky front tyre and the color combination..

Dheeraj ji, definitely the new Fat Bob looks the part. Very futuristic and away form the traditional harley layout.
But the fact remains that we see what we like as our next purchase. I just love that FatBoy. I really didn't care what they did to the Heritage Classic as I really never liked that machine. Never was into that bike.
And with the GS still in the garage and moving more towards an offroad use, I want a bike which can be used as a relaxed bruiser. I have all my excitement with the GS which is as much a corner carver as a off road flattening machine.
With upgrades upto 117 engine, it'll keep me busy for atleast a couple of years. We're kids after all.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Axe77 (Post 4257141)
I just wish at those price points they'd provide a bit more electronic aids with their bikes. I think you still don't get much over ABS and some other basic stuff. (As you can see I'm not in the purist school of thought when it comes to these things - particularly two wheels).

PS: Which Kawasaki are you buying btw?

Underneath the skin these bikes are quite modern with all modern electricals etc. but there is no traction control, power modes, wheelie control, cornering ABS or 6 axis Inertial Measurement Unit et al like the bike I am now moving towards.

I ordered the Ninja 1000 in Kawasaki Green today. My 'Classic' needs are already fulfilled by the Heritage. I don't like doing much off-roading and have already crossed Leh/Tso Moriri/Pangong/Nubra from my bucket list which I did on my Himalayan (now sold). Now I needed a comfortable Sports Cruiser and that is what hopefully I have ordered.

Cheers...

I love what Harley has done with the 2018s. More power, less weight, stiffer frame, better brakes - it can only be good. Of course, I would have to ride one so will reserve judgment until then.

I stopped by the local dealer to take a quick look in the flesh. No Fatbob, apparently it had sold within minutes of arriving. I was able to check out the ergonomics on the Fatboy, Slim and Heritage. Of these, only the Heritage fit me comfortably.

Just a couple of quick pics..

Harley-Davidson releases all-new 2018 Softail line, kills Dyna-21216100_1804924289521921_653626660_o.jpg

Harley-Davidson releases all-new 2018 Softail line, kills Dyna-21216105_1804924286188588_964406732_o.jpg