Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd November 2006, 18:43   #1
Senior - BHPian

Introducing Monster Torque 01

Some of you are in the know, but for those who came in late, here's my pride and joy - the 2006 Yamaha MT01 (that should explain my Avtar and signature that many have asked me about):

The same pic and full specs are on my BHP Garage. More pics will follow later tonite as I plan to take the bike out anyway.

Bought it after hunting for a suitable bike that I could ride without too much stress on my back - hence sports bikes were off the list. Which is a pity because I've been looking forward to riding one of those on a regular basis - I'd ridden a friend's Suzuki TL1000s and was blown away by the experience. That was a regular hooligan, but there was no way I could crouch over the bars for any long period of time.

So it was to be a cruiser. Went around looking at V Maxs, Dragsters and the like. Even rode a colleague's Harley (Sporster 800 - nothing to write about), and THEN I saw the MT01 at the Yamaha showroom. Technically not a cruiser - its a cruiser engine in a semi-sports body. A Buell made by Yamaha, if you want. Yamaha calls this new line (MT series) the Torque Sports bikes because they're all about torque, not all-out top speed.

I believe in signs - I saw the bike, sat on it and it felt perfect. Then I saw a pic posted on TBHP after a couple of days about an MT01 in Mumbai. Then co-incidentally a French friend of ours decided to go back to Paris, and we found that he was trying to sell his MT01 when he put it up in the local classifieds! It was one of 2 sold in Dubai, allegedly.

Everything suddenly pointed to the MT01. I went over to his place, rode the bike. Then went back and rode it again, and then once again when a friend of mine who is a biker came down from the UK.

Finally we agreed on a price that made both of us very happy, and I took possession of the scratchless monster that had done all of 3,000 kms.

However, I wasnt lucky enough to ride it around since I hadnt bothered applying for a 2-wheeler license in Dubai - everything happened so fast and I was stuck with a bike that I wasnt allowed to ride around. Expected to get my license today, but missed my appointment yet again thanks to meetings and stuff.

In my anticipation, I went and bought all the gear required for the bike yesterday, which is when I met 2 very interesting Indian gentlemen who were preparing for the upcoming track-day. One rides a Gixxer and the other rides a Ninja. Turns out there is a pack of Indian Bikers in Dubai, a very close-knit community that includes a lady who rides a 1.5 litre monster. I hope to join that pack soon.

What made me post this here is the fact that 2 years (1.5, actually) on TBHP has changed my garage drastically. Dramatically.

That says a lot about this site.

Ride safe!

Last edited by Steeroid : 23rd November 2006 at 18:46.
Old 23rd November 2006, 18:49   #2
BHPian

Congrats Once again Santosh. Absolutely loved the bike the minute I saw it. Excellent choice, well done. Ride safe.
Old 23rd November 2006, 19:00   #3
BHPian

Congrats Steer! first the SS and now this. I envy your garage brother. This is the first post i read after the site was up. congrats once again and lookin forward to see the pics of your bike.
Old 23rd November 2006, 19:28   #4
Senior - BHPian

dude Congrats, Its real moster.
i envy you..
Ride Safe.
Old 23rd November 2006, 21:15   #5
Senior - BHPian

Some really bad pics taken from my flourescent parking lot.....photographers KINDLY excuse - these are all F8/F9/F10 and I wasnt using a tripod. Note elephant theme on the Tank and in between the cylinders...the overall theme for the bike is very elephantine.

Better pictures will follow in daylight.
Old 23rd November 2006, 21:28   #6
BANNED

Oooooh!!! Aaaaaahhhh!!! Let the torqueey play!!

Amazing! When you bringing it down here??
Old 23rd November 2006, 21:51   #7
BHPian

cool purchase man, congratulations on the new baby, or should i say BABE
Old 23rd November 2006, 23:12   #8
Senior - BHPian

Wow Steeroid....Can we call you "King of Beasts"?

I envy you.
Old 23rd November 2006, 23:27   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats !! That sure is an awesome bike !!
Old 23rd November 2006, 23:29   #10
Senior - BHPian

Congrats once again Steer!! Have fun riding her around & hopefully you'll get the license soon too!
Old 24th November 2006, 00:23   #11
Senior - BHPian

Khader bhaaaai!
U've got taste....and btw, how did ur wife and ur physician let u acquire this torquey beast??
Old 24th November 2006, 09:06   #12
Senior - BHPian

That is one cool moster u got there mate. enjoy it to the fullest!!!!
Old 24th November 2006, 11:29   #13
Joz
BHPian

Steer, I am mighty pissed with you for not arranging a rendevous with the beast last week. Have you taken it on the roads as yet??

You sure do walk the torque in style. Awesome choice mate.
Old 24th November 2006, 13:12   #14
BHPian

oh steer finaly the secret monster is let out eh...anyways congrats yet again..and dont forget RIDE SAFE!!!!
Old 24th November 2006, 13:17   #15
Senior - BHPian

Nice Ride Steer , Engine looks really neat.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks