Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th October 2019, 20:14   #211
BHPian

Re: 2018 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 - The Comprehensive Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCelestial View Post
Pretty sure the bike is lighter by a few kilos as well.
Yes, at least 2+ kilos lighter

In fact, I also removed the front number plate holder which is 1 kg plus.

Also removed the rear grab handles which both sides put together are around 3 kgs.

Last edited by killjoy : 15th October 2019 at 20:16. Reason: Added more info
Old 2nd November 2019, 20:21   #212
BHPian

Added the Pirelli Angel GT tyres front and back. Changed the rear profile from 190/50 to 190/55 and on the short ride home from the garage, the diff is obvious. Will post more feedback after tomorrow's ride....
killjoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2019, 17:35   #213
BHPian

Oh man, I can now relate to all those people mentioning about switching to 55 profile tyres. The change is almost unbelievable, especially for someone like me going from a worn out 50 profile to a new 55 profile tyre. The bike now holds a line through the corner so easily, plus flipping the bike from one side to the other is also so much more easier. I would also add to the list of people who highly recommend switching to a 55 profile rear!!.
Old 17th November 2019, 20:11   #214
BHPian

Modern ECUs are getting better and better. Adding the filter, decat and now slip-ons, you would have taught that the bike will run lean. It is running perfectly fine as evidenced on some spirited riding this morning. This is the 2nd bike where I am seeing the bike not leaning out after making these mods.
Attached Thumbnails
2018 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 - The Comprehensive Review-76943795_10157413120905211_8359527047021723648_o.jpg  

Old 19th November 2019, 06:22   #215
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by killjoy View Post
Modern ECUs are getting better and better. Adding the filter, decat and now slip-ons, you would have taught that the bike will run lean. It is running perfectly fine as evidenced on some spirited riding this morning. This is the 2nd bike where I am seeing the bike not leaning out after making these mods.
Your bike looks good.
Thanks for sharing all the updates, on this already exhaustive ownership review. Its good to get feedback about the bike from different owners.

I have installed a full system Akrapovic exhaust on my Z900. Loosing the cat-con breadbox has significantly increased the ground clearance and the weight reduction of around 6-8 kgs is significant. Modern ECUs are good and can adapt to changes. However, I suspect, this change along with the high flow BMC air filter, has got my bike running slightly lean. It feels slightly warmer and there is a fair amount of deceleration pops and crackles. Not sure , if these are the signs of a lean running bike. I have not yet decided on the Power commander PC5, as I am not much interested in performance gains. I did a bit of tinkering myself and installed a booster plug, to enrich the mixture and blocked off the AIS pipes. I will know in the next few rides, if this has solved the issue.

Keep riding.

Cheerio!
alphadog is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2019, 08:49   #216
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphadog View Post
Your bike looks good.
Thanks for sharing all the updates, on this already exhaustive ownership review. Its good to get feedback about the bike from different owners.

I have installed a full system Akrapovic exhaust on my Z900. Loosing the cat-con breadbox has significantly increased the ground clearance and the weight reduction of around 6-8 kgs is significant. Modern ECUs are good and can adapt to changes. However, I suspect, this change along with the high flow BMC air filter, has got my bike running slightly lean. It feels slightly warmer and there is a fair amount of deceleration pops and crackles. Not sure , if these are the signs of a lean running bike. I have not yet decided on the Power commander PC5, as I am not much interested in performance gains. I did a bit of tinkering myself and installed a booster plug, to enrich the mixture and blocked off the AIS pipes. I will know in the next few rides, if this has solved the issue.

Keep riding.

Cheerio!
Thank you.

You are describing something contradicting. Bike running hotter is a sign of lean mix but pops and crackles are a sign of rich mix.

Like you I am not interested in more power but want to ensure that we are not damaging the bike in any way. For that, the best bet is to check the AFR, if possible on a dyno through all the gears and revs. You will know then for sure.

You are lucky that you have a fueling module, the 17+ Ninjas have not PC5/Bazzaz. Only option is Woolich or RapidBike. I am still not sure I need it.
Old 17th December 2019, 12:24   #217
BHPian

Its raining discounts on N1000, booked mine at flat 1 Lac discount.

Therefore, the effective pricing is now Ex-9.29 Lacs. Colour- Mettalic Matte Fusion Silver.

Eagerly waiting for the delivery, will surely share my experience with this magnificent beast.
sudeep.pandya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2019, 21:42   #218
BHPian

Congrats Sudeep, this is a good thread, please read from the beginning. I got to know a lot about my bike from this thread.

On that note, I installed the SmartMoto Pair Valve eliminator and Block Off Plates today and there is a noticeable reduction in popping when downshifting.
Old 19th December 2019, 19:44   #219
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you.

You are describing something contradicting. Bike running hotter is a sign of lean mix but pops and crackles are a sign of rich mix.

Both rich and lean charge can cause exhaust crackels( of different types), however their is slim chance of a modern ecu controlled vehicle running rich, leaking injector is probably the only one ,in most cases its the lean mix causing them in usual road going vehicles.
Exhaust pops due to rich charge are caused when their isn't enough oxygen available to burn all the fuel ,fuel escapes with hot gasses to exhaust and when it finds atmospheric oxygen ,ignites. It usually occurs outside of muffler or at the very end of opening to atmosphere.
Lean pops occur when mixture is lean enough to either not ignite at all by just a spark or flame front travel speed too low to ignite all the fuel , that usually ignites withing the header or exhaust valve due to hot surface contact.
Rich mixture isn't as bad as lean one in general terms.
Alka panwar is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 20th December 2019, 12:18   #220
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alka panwar View Post
Both rich and lean charge can cause exhaust crackels( of different types), however their is slim chance of a modern ecu controlled vehicle running rich, leaking injector is probably the only one ,in most cases its the lean mix causing them in usual road going vehicles.
Exhaust pops due to rich charge are caused when their isn't enough oxygen available to burn all the fuel ,fuel escapes with hot gasses to exhaust and when it finds atmospheric oxygen ,ignites. It usually occurs outside of muffler or at the very end of opening to atmosphere.
Lean pops occur when mixture is lean enough to either not ignite at all by just a spark or flame front travel speed too low to ignite all the fuel , that usually ignites withing the header or exhaust valve due to hot surface contact.
Agree, yet to put her on a dyno to get the exact AFRs at revs but based on my mods and what little I know, my popping is a nice rich mixture and the block off plates helped.

Last edited by killjoy : 20th December 2019 at 12:26. Reason: Spelling
Old 20th December 2019, 12:30   #221
BHPian

Quote:
Agree, yet to put her on a dyno to get the exact AFRs at revs but based on my mods and what little I know, my popping is a nice rich mixture and the block off plates helped.
Post a picture of spark plugs ,that should tell a tale. Mark them as per cylinders
Old 20th December 2019, 12:33   #222
BHPian

Quote:
Post a picture of spark plugs ,that should tell a tale. Mark them as per cylinders
Thanks but no thanks, will leave that to my tuner to diagnose, Im averse to self medication based on the internet. No offence.
Old 20th December 2019, 12:48   #223
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks but no thanks, will leave that to my tuner to diagnose, Im averse to self medication based on the internet. No offence.
i will leave it at that! Good luck and godspeed

Last edited by Alka panwar : 20th December 2019 at 12:49.
Alka panwar is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2019, 14:44   #224
BANNED

Quote:
Spot on, I've set both my motorcycles to run lean on the idle circuit and while descending hills in gear I do get quite a few pops which didn't used to happen when set at stock setting.

My logic for setting the motorcycles lean is that I stay at sea level and when I ride it's usually northward with increase in altitude. A year back I had ridden my CT100B around the country(Up to Delhi) in stock setting and on returning home I noticed that the plug showed a mildly rich reading and I figured tuning it lean at home would take care of that.

Just my thought process, plus I'm only messing with the idle circuit with no change to the jets on either motorcycles.

P.S. When you get pops and crackles it's best to run your finger through the inside of the exhaust tip(obviously when the motorcycle is cold) if you find soot then you're running rich, if its relatively clean then you're running lean. Howzzat!

Regards,
A.P.

Last edited by ashwinprakas : 20th December 2019 at 14:46.
ashwinprakas is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th December 2019, 16:55   #225
BHPian

Finally took delivery of my Silver Hawk! Been exactly a week and the ODO stands around 575 Kms.

What an experience it is! Unable to keep the bike under 4k RPM, such is the addictive torque the bike has to offer!

Not particularly a fan of Green.

The Matte Fusion Silver colour is indeed a looker!

This is a limited edition colour, as they say.

2018 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 - The Comprehensive Review-imageuploadedbyteambhp1577704932.396242.jpg

2018 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 - The Comprehensive Review-imageuploadedbyteambhp1577704955.496724.jpg

2018 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 - The Comprehensive Review-imageuploadedbyteambhp1577704984.345682.jpg

2018 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 - The Comprehensive Review-imageuploadedbyteambhp1577705006.489206.jpg

Got my Bell Helmet and a Rev it Jacket! (The quality of both the gears are seriously next level)

2018 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 - The Comprehensive Review-imageuploadedbyteambhp1577705027.107859.jpg

Last edited by sudeep.pandya : 30th December 2019 at 16:59.
sudeep.pandya is offline   (9) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks