Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd December 2017, 09:14   #91
BHPian

Re: 2018 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 - The Comprehensive Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
Yes, the Harley has so much character that it is sometimes hard to convince people why actually we ride that iron and steel dumbbell. I hope to pass on mine to my grandkids. The Sportster Is still the best of the lot, I feel, as I do miss the handling of my Superlow on the Softail sometimes. But the Japs are pure precision. And a human is a mixture of heart and rationality.

Cheers...
Indeed I agree completely. In fact I have a strong belief that riders who return to biking after a hiatus when they have been driving cars exclusively or first time riders who were on cars and decide to take on biking very late in their lives perceive motorcycles very differently from those who have always been on two wheels.

For me I hope that if I buy the Ninja 1000 it might scare away the living shit out of me on some of these days I take her out and that might be a emotion that I might remember for a long time to come. But the 650? Yes it will do everything I ask for it to do but I don't think that's enough....

And on your last sentence I would like to add. If we were completely rational beings would we all not be driving 800 CC Cars and 100 CC Motorcycles?
Old 23rd December 2017, 14:28   #92
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, the Harley has so much character that it is sometimes hard to convince people why actually we ride that iron and steel dumbbell. I hope to pass on mine to my grandkids. The Sportster Is still the best of the lot, I feel, as I do miss the handling of my Superlow on the Softail sometimes. But the Japs are pure precision. And a human is a mixture of heart and rationality.

Cheers...
Very well put Dhiraj . Me too, although didnt like my Sportster back in 2000 and sold the bike after 3 months, somehow a strange & funny connect still existed. So picked up a used 2011 bike in India and it is undergoing a chopper customization now. Not that I plan to put big miles on it, but will just keep it for the occasional ride and afterall a Harley 20 years later is still a Harley
Haroon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th December 2017, 09:36   #93
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowMan View Post
Indeed you might be right. Or completely wrong. Let me explain.
The way you explained made me believe that you belong in Milwaukee and not in India...Just Kidding

A funny fact closer to home, my wife drools over Harleys more than the "sterile" bikes that I love and wants me to buy one because she thinks I will look macho on it and also according to her they are good looking which is something I do not disagree. Taking a huge risk and with possibilities of sleeping on my Versys, I told her that looking macho on a motorcycle is the least of my preference and would like to pass on her suggestion this time and maybe each time ( Till date, I still sleep in my own bedroom and not on my motorcycle...Whew!!!)

I would certainly considering buying a Harley if they had a bit better ground clearance and were little more nimble to handle. They are enjoyed predominantly in a straight line (due to their cruiser abilities) and on a motorcycle my personal preference is not straight line cruising which I find rather boring.

I like it when people have a clear head on their shoulders and know their preferences and stick to them despite it's upsides or flaws which is what is true passion

Enjoy your Harley and look forward to seeing an ownership report of your steed on the forum someday...Cheers and Keep riding !!

P.S : Will be in your town later this week and will keep my eyes peeled out for a sportster !!

Last edited by mobike008 : 26th December 2017 at 09:38.
Old 26th December 2017, 09:37   #94
BHPian

I visited the Kawasaki showroom yesterday. They had the Ninja 1000, the Versys 650 there and I think I might be seduced

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
The way you explained made me believe that you belong in Milwaukee and not in India...Just Kidding
I do not belong too Milwaukee, certainly. And to belong 'in Milwaukee' (or Tokyo for that matter) is something that can be subjective. So let it be there and I will not comment further.

However I have certainly spent enough time with stuff that comes out of Milwaukee to understand how that company works. And that time is not just riding but also working with the machine. I do all my regular as well as non regular maintenance myself.

The flaws of the Sportster are not something new. The suspension gripes for example have been there since decades. Why does Harley never update their suspensions? Because they do not want to make the Sportster a perfect bike. They want to keep it raw but basic to get riders into the Harley fold. Onece they are within the fold they realize the flaws of the bike and they have either of two options. Upgrade to Dyna (and then to Softail....) or pick up the spanner and bust their knuckles. I am not considering the vast majority of Harley riders who never do serious miles on their bikes.

The Japanese on the other hand have a completely different philosophy. To repeat the cliched term - Kaizen. Their machines are so dialed in towards perfection that motorcycle journalists have to be nitpicking to find something to justify their trips and sound unbiased.

Last edited by BowMan : 26th December 2017 at 10:04.
BowMan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2018, 11:28   #95
Senior - BHPian

GIVI Tank Bag ST602 & GoPro Hero 5 Session Review

Back after a long hiatus. It's very sad that I have hardly been able to ride any of my bikes due to variety of reasons. Anyways, picked up a few goodies on my recent trip to Australia which were eventually fixed to the bike recently and tested.

GIVI Tank Bag ST 602 with Tanklock system and Mounting Ring BF04 for Kawasaki in detail

So this is the actual Tank Bag. It's semi rigid type and as I already had a larger Tank/Tail Bag from Rynox, which I use as a Tail Bag now, I went for a compact size one as I found riding with a larger capacity one upfront a bit cumbersome on my last trip to Leh.
2018 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 - The Comprehensive Review-givi-tank-bag-st602_1.jpg

This is the Kawasaki specific Metal Mounting Ring it comes with and afaik it universally fits ALL Kawasaki models including the Versys, Ninja/Z 650 etc. It's model no. is BF04. Unfortunately the actual piece had got swapped somehow with a wrong piece inside the box at the Australian dealership I bought it from and they had to send me a new one (free of cost to India, of course) which I received and installed yesterday.
2018 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 - The Comprehensive Review-givi-bf04-mounting-ring_1.jpg

Mounting Instructions are minimal and takes less then 2 minutes to install. You will need a 4mm (for the original screws) and a 3mm Hex (for the Givi supplied screws) tool for the installation.
2018 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 - The Comprehensive Review-givi-bf04-mounting-ring_3.jpg

So here is the Tank Bag unraveled. It has storage space both on the top and botton with the top part being secured by zipper mesh. The top part also has place to put in your Mobile Phone in a totally sealed waterproof casing. It comes with a removable but velcroed sunglasses holder, a rain cover with mobile phone window, strapping belt to further secure the bag to the handlebar and a bag specific plastic mounting plate which sits with the bike specific metal mounting ring.
2018 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 - The Comprehensive Review-givi-tank-bag-st602_2.jpg

Here is the view of the mobile phone holder on top. Very convenient for navigation. With this on there is NO need for the RAM mounting system that I have also installed.
2018 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 - The Comprehensive Review-givi-tank-bag-st602_3.jpg

Here is the view of the empty chamber inside. Quite sufficient for me for a overnighter.
2018 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 - The Comprehensive Review-givi-tank-bag-st602_4.jpg

The rear of the tank bag with the Givi proprietary one click Tank Lock System
2018 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 - The Comprehensive Review-givi-tank-bag-st602_5.jpg

The metal logo on top. Quality of materials used is quite high.
2018 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 - The Comprehensive Review-givi-tank-bag-st602_6.jpg

Lockable and watertight Zippers with a handle to easily take off and carry the bag.
2018 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 - The Comprehensive Review-givi-tank-bag-st602_7.jpg

Checking that the holes aligned properly this time around on the new mounting ring, phew!!
2018 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 - The Comprehensive Review-givi-tank-bag-st602_8.jpg

Removed the 3 original screws with a 4mm hex
2018 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 - The Comprehensive Review-givi-tank-bag-st602_9.jpg

Fitted the 3 supplied Givi metal spacers
2018 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 - The Comprehensive Review-givi-tank-bag-st602_10.jpg

Checked that the fuel lid was opening wihtout any hindrance
2018 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 - The Comprehensive Review-givi-tank-bag-st602_11.jpg

The finally tightened tank ring with the plastic mounting ring in place. This is what will stay on the bike permanently attached.
2018 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 - The Comprehensive Review-givi-tank-bag-st602_12.jpg

So this is how the bag looks finally attached to the bike
2018 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 - The Comprehensive Review-givi-tank-bag-st602_13.jpg

View from the side shows that it does not touch the fuel tank anywhere and hence will cause no scratches to your precious paint finish, which was the main reason for me to go for this Tank Lock System bag rather than any other contact system like the magnetic ones which will eventually scratch your tank, no matter how much care you take.
2018 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 - The Comprehensive Review-givi-tank-bag-st602_14.jpg

Here is a view with my Samsung Note 8 inside the sealed phone holder. Gets very easy for navigation and other phone related activities.
2018 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 - The Comprehensive Review-givi-tank-bag-st602_15.jpg

The bag has a tight water resistant slot for sliding any wires in for charging your mobile devices from the 12V power socket up ahead. Very well engineered and thought out.
2018 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 - The Comprehensive Review-givi-tank-bag-st602_24.jpg

With the Rain Cover on. Notice the waterproof window for the phone.
2018 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 - The Comprehensive Review-givi-tank-bag-st602_16.jpg

Side view with the rain cover on. Again no contact with your tank.
2018 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 - The Comprehensive Review-givi-tank-bag-st602_17.jpg

You can also strap it down to your handlebar (if required) for extra safety.
2018 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 - The Comprehensive Review-givi-tank-bag-st602_18.jpg

A view of the Quick Release lever boldly made in red colour. Takes just a click of the lever to detach the bag and be off.
2018 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 - The Comprehensive Review-givi-tank-bag-st602_19.jpg

Another view of the storage space inside while attached to the bike.
2018 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 - The Comprehensive Review-givi-tank-bag-st602_22.jpg

2018 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 - The Comprehensive Review-givi-tank-bag-st602_23.jpg

The bag costed my 8K from Australia including everything (mounting ring etc.). It is available in India through Akash at Bikegear.in M: 9610311313 (no commercial interest at all) and some other dealers for around 12k.

To be continued... Cheers

Last edited by dkaile : 20th February 2018 at 11:39.
dkaile is online now   (14) Thanks
Old 20th February 2018, 12:10   #96
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Amazing review Dkaile! Seems like the perfect tank bag for the N1000. The mounting rings which you have installed -is this specific for the Ninja1000 and ST602? Also regarding the handlebar strap - Is it there to prevent the bag from falling if the mounting ring fails? If so, wouldn't it be dangerous - cos this may cos the handlebar to turn in the direction of the fall and cause a nasty accident.
v12 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2018, 12:18   #97
Senior - BHPian

GoPro Hero 5 Session

So, I also picked up this GoPro action camera on an impulsive buy as I was getting a very good deal at Brisbane Airport. Costed me 12.5k all inclusive including a 5k worth original GoPro carry case thrown in for free. Besides this I also picked up a 360 degree rotating original mount for 750 bucks and a original Handlebar Mount for 1250 bucks from that store. Here is all I got -

2018 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 - The Comprehensive Review-gopro-hero-5-session-camera-accessories-purchased-30012018.jpg

Here is how I attached the curved mount to the front of my MT Helmet. Due to the compact size of this particular model, the Session 5, it is easy to mount it up front, which imho is the best place to record videos from a helmet with first person perspective.
2018 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 - The Comprehensive Review-gopro-session-5-helmet-mount_1.jpg

Required a little extra 3M Very High Bonding (VHB) tape to fill up the extra curves, which luckily I already had and is also easily available at Amazon.
2018 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 - The Comprehensive Review-3m-vhb-tape.jpg

After curing for a few hours the bond is as strong as it can get
2018 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 - The Comprehensive Review-gopro-session-5-helmet-mount_2.jpg

Here is how the camera looks mounted in the final recording ready state
2018 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 - The Comprehensive Review-gopro-session-5-helmet-mount_3.jpg

Also got a extra curved mount from Amazon and mounted it to my other MT Helmet. Now both helmets are GoPro ready.
2018 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 - The Comprehensive Review-gopro-session-5-helmet-mount_4.jpg

Here is a closer view of the 360 degree rotating Ball Joint Buckle that I got. Very convenient for precise adjustment to your videos.
2018 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 - The Comprehensive Review-gopro-session-5-helmet-mount_5.jpg

Here is a closer view of the Handlebar / Seatpost / Pole Mount that I also got to attach to other places on the bike.
2018 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 - The Comprehensive Review-gopro-session-5-handlebar-mount_1.jpg

Here is a GoPro IDEA how that can be used on my bike
2018 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 - The Comprehensive Review-gopro-session-5-handlebar-mount_2.jpg

Here is the short 3 minute amateur 1st Video that I made and published on Youtube with it. Like it and encourage me...lolz

-----------------

Here are some other small but useful stuff I picked while abroad

a TopPeak Smart Gauge 2 for measuring tyre pressure with digital display and hold feature
2018 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 - The Comprehensive Review-toppeak-smart-guage_1.jpg

A closer look at the gauge and it's display which can be set and changed in different units
2018 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 - The Comprehensive Review-toppeak-smart-guage_2.jpg

It displays the pressure even after taking measurement till reset which is very convenient to take reading when the display is not easily visible. 2.5k well spent.
2018 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 - The Comprehensive Review-toppeak-smart-guage_5.jpg

Also got this anti-fog cleaner for the helmet visor for free
2018 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 - The Comprehensive Review-scott-antifog-cleaner.jpg

---------------

Had a nice visit to the Auto Expo this year and visited the Kawasaki stand.
2018 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 - The Comprehensive Review-kawasaki-auto-expo-09022018.jpg

And had a nice chat and exchanged contact details with the MD of Kawasaki India, Mr. Yutaka Yamashita, about where Kawasaki is headig in India and the various issues being faced by us buyers. Told them to launch the Z900RS ASAP.
2018 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 - The Comprehensive Review-kawasaki-india-md-yutaka-yamashita-09022018-.jpg

So here's how the bike looks on my last 100kms ride two days back. A bundle of joy it actually is.
2018 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 - The Comprehensive Review-kawasaki-ninja-1000-18022018.jpg

Cheers for now...

Last edited by dkaile : 20th February 2018 at 12:43.
dkaile is online now   (13) Thanks
Old 20th February 2018, 12:20   #98
BHPian

I have the exact same tank bag on my Multistrada. Only difference it is Ducati branded made bu Givi and thats why really costly.

Good thing I got it free from Ducati dealer !!!
Old 20th February 2018, 12:30   #99
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v12 View Post
The mounting rings which you have installed -is this specific for the Ninja1000 and ST602? Also regarding the handlebar strap - Is it there to prevent the bag from falling if the mounting ring fails? If so, wouldn't it be dangerous - cos this may cos the handlebar to turn in the direction of the fall and cause a nasty accident.
Thanks. This same mounting ring and this setup will FIT all Kawasaki bikes as per my research. The handlebar straps are only for extra security or to hold the bag while tanking up the bike. Givi is a reputed Italian manufacturer. It's stuff is very well tested in all conditions and is used by all major motorcycle manufacturers the world over. I doubt that the mounting ring will fail and nor have I heard about any such failure at high speeds on international forums. BUT then IF my Chachi had a moustache woudn't she be my Chacha? Please don't take it seriously, all in good humor. Lolz...

Cheers...

Last edited by dkaile : 20th February 2018 at 12:42.
dkaile is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 25th February 2018, 19:24   #100
Senior - BHPian

Wheel Stripes (Rim Tape) Installed

Used a lazy Sunday to install the Rim Tapes which I had received from AliExpress - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Moto...311.0.0.1MoDnZ . This was a reflective type (clearly visible in the flash photographs below). I was a little apprehensive for the install as the colour did not exactly match the Emerald Green of the bike. Here is what I received -

The crumbling tape was not very encouraging
2018 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 - The Comprehensive Review-wheel-stripes-25022018_1.jpg

However it was radium based as the flash photo displays
2018 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 - The Comprehensive Review-wheel-stripes-25022018_2.jpg

The colour did not exactly match the bike either
2018 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 - The Comprehensive Review-wheel-stripes-25022018_3.jpg

However once I started installing, it was a breeze and the results were quite good
2018 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 - The Comprehensive Review-wheel-stripes-25022018_5.jpg

And the reflective wheels will be a great safety feature in the night
2018 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 - The Comprehensive Review-wheel-stripes-25022018_6.jpg

Judge the overall results for yourself
2018 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 - The Comprehensive Review-wheel-stripes-25022018_7.jpg

I find that it gives great character to the bike and the safety feature of the reflective tape cannot be over emphasized. Overall highly satisfied.
2018 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 - The Comprehensive Review-wheel-stripes-25022018_8.jpg

----------------

Went for a small ride and tried stuffing stuff in the Givi Tank Bag. As you can see it holds a full DSLR with ease and there is still space left for a few T-shirts for the overighter.
2018 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 - The Comprehensive Review-givi-tank-bag-st602_25.jpg

Cheers...
-----------------

Last edited by moralfibre : 25th September 2018 at 08:48. Reason: Please refrain from posting about Whatsapp and Facebook groups on the forum. Thanks!
dkaile is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 25th February 2018, 20:18   #101
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks. This same mounting ring and this setup will FIT all Kawasaki bikes as per my research. The handlebar straps are only for extra security or to hold the bag while tanking up the bike. Givi is a reputed Italian manufacturer. It's stuff is very well tested in all conditions and is used by all major motorcycle manufacturers the world over. I doubt that the mounting ring will fail and nor have I heard about any such failure at high speeds on international forums. BUT then IF my Chachi had a moustache woudn't she be my Chacha? Please don't take it seriously, all in good humor. Lolz...

Cheers...
Thank you for that explanation sir! I never thought about the part about tanking up. Makes sense perfectly. Have heard about Givi being one of the best luggage brands as OE for a lot of manufacturers. But seriously I love the tank bag more than a tail bag - especially because things are more easily accessible (especially documents) and also easier to climb onto the bike without a tail bag.

Quote:
Wheel Stripes (Rim Tape) Installed

Used a lazy Sunday to install the Rim Tapes which I had received from AliExpress - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Moto...311.0.0.1MoDnZ . This was a reflective type (clearly visible in the flash photographs below). I was a little apprehensive for the install as the colour did not exactly match the Emerald Green of the bike. Here is what I received -
I had seen these reflective stickers on AliExpress and had ordered them too for my RX100 - bit the only problem was that they were too thick and crumpled. So went for some local ones and they're still holding up.

No offence sir, but I feel those stickers don't look that great. Spoils the whole show of the Ninja and makes it look a bit tacky. Probably because
1. The colour does not match.
2. It's too thick for a rim sticker.
2. It's probably not a perfect circle.

I would love it if you would stick a fluorescent green or a matching green thinner lip. Just a suggestion.

2018 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 - The Comprehensive Review-images-3.jpeg

2018 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 - The Comprehensive Review-images-2.jpeg

Keep those updates coming
Old 25th February 2018, 20:48   #102
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v12 View Post
No offence sir, but I feel those stickers don't look that great.
Non taken mate. This is a stop gap arrangement till I get something from Tapeworks Graphics, US who specialise in exact shades as per our bike. Here's a video showing how it's installed on our bike from a roll of tape installed by a stripe-it-all tool -

Cheers...
dkaile is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2018, 09:34   #103
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Went for a small ride and tried stuffing stuff in the Givi Tank Bag. As you can see it holds a full DSLR with ease and there is still space left for a few T-shirts for the overighter.
Wow! Thats very impressive! Makes quite an easy job of carry SLR, plus it can be double up as a holder for the phone! The price is quite reasonable as well compared to other branded stuff like RAM mounts.

Checking if it can be sourced anywhere here locally.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2018, 09:48   #104
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Checking if it can be sourced anywhere here locally
I left the contact details for the Akash @bikegear.in in the related post. You can contact him if you wish. He quoted me 10k for this bag and 2k for the BF04 mounting ring. Here's the online link - https://bikegear.in/givi-st602-tankl...g-online-india
You can also buy the bigger capacity one ST 604 for 14.4+2k, but somehow it defeated my purpose for a compact bag - https://bikegear.in/givi-st603-tankl...g-online-india

Cheers...
dkaile is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 28th February 2018, 20:18   #105
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Non taken mate. This is a stop gap arrangement till I get something from Tapeworks Graphics, US who specialise in exact shades as per our bike. Here's a video showing how it's installed on our bike from a roll of tape installed by a stripe-it-all tool -

http://Youtu.be/wMMAe5oGRkI

Cheers...
Lovely! I never knew such a tool even existed. Thanks Dkaile!

Also I did some research on the ST602 tank bag and it seems to be the best equipped tank bag for its price. Comes loaded with a Document holder, mobile holder with a touch enabled plastic cover and a waterproof hole for mobile charger. I might pickup one very soon.
Just wanted to check - the flange and the tank ring come together and both are bike specific , right?

Apparently the BF04 flange does not fit the Versys 650. The correct one for the V650 is the BF26.

Thanks for the detailed review.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks