Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th June 2018, 22:14   #136
Senior - BHPian

Re: Triumph Street Triple RS launched at Rs. 10.55 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by srikanthpotluri View Post

Test drove Versys 650, Z650 & Street Triple RS yesterday, of course drove a Street Twin which my friend was checking out as well.
Driving to ladakh this month end, planning to buy when I am back in July mid. Till then research is on i guess.
I would also suggest that you take the test ride of Kawasaki Z900 - its as mental as RS and much cheaper.

Last edited by moralfibre : 18th June 2018 at 09:35. Reason: Trimming quoted post.
Old 18th June 2018, 09:42   #137
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanhunt123 View Post
I would also suggest that you take the test ride of Kawasaki Z900 - its as mental as RS and much cheaper.
Cant be compared money wise even if the power is the same. While the smoothness and the torque of the Z900 is addictive, the equipment and the electronics that you get on the RS are worth every penny that you spend over the Z900.

The fully adjustable suspension from Showa and Ohlins (front and rear respectively), the Brembo M50s, the Pirelli SuperCorsa SP, the 5 rider modes with adjustable traction control and ABS are worth every single penny. And then there is a 40kg weight difference! 40kg!

Ultimately, it comes down to how to connect with the bike and what you want from the bike. There are plenty of comparisons between the Z900 and RS and in my personal opinion, not justified. They both cater to a completely different set of riders.

Last edited by RohanDheman : 18th June 2018 at 09:45.
Old 18th June 2018, 10:43   #138
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RohanDheman View Post
Cant be compared money wise even if the power is the same. While the smoothness and the torque of the Z900 is addictive, the equipment and the electronics that you get on the RS are worth every penny that you spend over the Z900.

The fully adjustable suspension from Showa and Ohlins (front and rear respectively), the Brembo M50s, the Pirelli SuperCorsa SP, the 5 rider modes with adjustable traction control and ABS are worth every single penny. And then there is a 40kg weight difference! 40kg!

Ultimately, it comes down to how to connect with the bike and what you want from the bike. There are plenty of comparisons between the Z900 and RS and in my personal opinion, not justified. They both cater to a completely different set of riders.
I would agree with you that its not a direct compare with the RS - but definitely more than a match for the S. What S gets extra over Z900 is Riding Modes & Traction control - but the Z900 has a better engine (IMHO) and is 1L cheaper at least. The only reason why i asked the OP to look at Z900 was the budget :-)

BTW if someone has the budget for Striple RS - he should be giving a hard look at N1000 as well - unless he wants a track bike.
Old 18th June 2018, 11:06   #139
Team-BHP Support

On pure budget I agree the Ninja 1000 and RS are both worth considering. But they are really different products for different riders at some level.

The Z900 is better compared to the Triple S I feel. Personally in that segment, I would pick the S just for the extra electronics and the lighter weight. Of course the inline 4 of the Kawi is a big draw in itself but all in all I would prefer the Street Triple S over the Z900 any day.
Old 18th June 2018, 14:57   #140
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
On pure budget I agree the Ninja 1000 and RS are both worth considering. But they are really different products for different riders at some level.

The Z900 is better compared to the Triple S I feel. Personally in that segment, I would pick the S just for the extra electronics and the lighter weight. Of course the inline 4 of the Kawi is a big draw in itself but all in all I would prefer the Street Triple S over the Z900 any day.
I should have test driven Z900 same day to know what it feels like, but if its closer or its just powerful than Z650, I don't think i will like it, as i want to use it as a daily commute.

I was completely at home with RS or at least felt like that, have scheduled a test drive this saturday as the "S" test drive bike is back at Triumph. Budget for "S' is okay given that i loved how RS felt, it needs to be stretched I guess for what heart says

Given Kawasaki is nearby, will test drive the Z900 too just so that i am clear why "S' or "RS" felt so better.
Old 18th June 2018, 15:52   #141
BHPian

Quote:

V650 was intimidating the first time i took it for a short spin, I am 5.8", couldn't keep my legs completely down, almost fell off when a car suddenly came out of a lane out of nowhere, I had to hold the bike on my right leg, it was very heavy, though felt could be ridden eventually with some practice.
Just out of curiosity. Did you try the V650 with the seat adjusted at the lowest height setting? I am 5.7" and was planning for the same, although it is not in the near future to be honest. I have ridden a dirt bike, the Husqvarna TE300, the seat height was insane but could manage the bike because of it's super light mass(105 kg).

I guess if you can lower down the seat height then it should be more manageable.

Regards,

aghate
Old 18th June 2018, 15:59   #142
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I should have test driven Z900 same day to know what it feels like, but if its closer or its just powerful than Z650, I don't think i will like it, as i want to use it as a daily commute.

I was completely at home with RS or at least felt like that, have scheduled a test drive this saturday as the "S" test drive bike is back at Triumph. Budget for "S' is okay given that i loved how RS felt, it needs to be stretched I guess for what heart says

Given Kawasaki is nearby, will test drive the Z900 too just so that i am clear why "S' or "RS" felt so better.
I would suggest test ride both the Z900 & Striple S back to back. Both are amazing bikes - buy whichever you like more :-)
Old 18th June 2018, 16:15   #143
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aghate View Post
Just out of curiosity. Did you try the V650 with the seat adjusted at the lowest height setting? I am 5.7" and was planning for the same, although it is not in the near future to be honest. I have ridden a dirt bike, the Husqvarna TE300, the seat height was insane but could manage the bike because of it's super light mass(105 kg).

I guess if you can lower down the seat height then it should be more manageable.

Regards,

aghate
Not sure on the seat height, it felt right, my friend was 5.10, he had no issues in flat footing. I couldn't, though felt like if i lean a small bit to right, i can manage during stop and go traffic, long distances I don't think there would be any issues.

I saw the Triumph sales guy Bob who accompanied us during the test drive on a Tiger, he rode as if he was riding a 100 CC vehicle. Seeing him thought with practice V650 should get comfortable over time.
Old 18th June 2018, 16:20   #144
BHPian

I personally feel both are very different motorbikes. A good ride on both of them back to back should settle matters.

The Z900 is a good sprinter and even better for light touring and some fun times on the road. It is heavier but I didn't find it all that bulky. You sit in it and it guides you perfectly. I really liked the styling on the Z800. But on the Z900, it seems Kawasaki has tried to impose multiple personalities.

The RS is somewhat like a KTM but much refined. It's got an excellent power to weight factor and if anyone can understand and appreciate what "Great suspension' and "excellent braking" is then the RS has it all.

After having owned a bigger bike ( FZ1) earlier, I appreciate the way a lighter motorbike handles on our roads. I'd stick to smaller, lighter bikes.

As i had mentioned sometime back, I would buy the RS even if they remove the fully-digital console and the ride modes and the "Elcetro-something-or-the-other" from it. A great engine with a better suspension package and the best brakes, always wins the deal.

Last edited by Crankpin : 18th June 2018 at 16:24.
Crankpin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2018, 18:17   #145
Team-BHP Support

Why dont you also check whether you are getting any second hand tigers. They are much easier to ride than a versys trust me. I am 5’3” and feel totally at home on an XRX. It is lower than a versys and also lighter. It is an incredible machine. Perfect for city riding (trust me!!), super for handling those crater like speed breakers and also great for those weekend touring trips. I am sure you can search for less than 2 year examples of XRXs for new Triple S like money. At least TD a new tiger so you can experience it. Do it back to back with a versys and you will understand what I mean. Cheers.
Old 18th June 2018, 19:43   #146
BHPian

Quote:
The Z650 and Z900 are as different as chalk and cheese!

Please do test ride the Z900. I'd wager that the creaminess of that 4-cylinder engine might be the sole reason to purchase the bike.

The only weakness of the Z900 IMHO is the absence of traction control, the dunlop tyres and that joke of a pillion seat.

One of the major weaknesses of the Striple S is the absence of a slipper/assist clutch, which the Z900 gets. The Z900's clutch is incredibly light. The Striple S's is quite the opposite - which is actually not expected when you're paying 12 big ones for a two-wheeler. These small things make all the difference when driving a bike daily.

However, one of the major strengths of the Striple S is a relatively usable pillion seat (relatively is wrt. the Z900 here).

Although the above might seem confusing to digest, this is in my opinion, about what you want from the bike. If pillion and two-up riding is the need, Z900 is a no-go.

Last edited by AbhisheKulkarni : 18th June 2018 at 19:44.
AbhisheKulkarni is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2018, 21:44   #147
Distinguished - BHPian

Any budget at close to 10, the ninja 1000 just slays everything else. Nothing holds a candle to that bike. Everything else just pales in comparison.
Red Liner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th June 2018, 19:12   #148
BHPian

So here is an update, went for the test ride again for Z900 and Striple S., had to say Z900's engine roar and the way it pulls is truly awesome, though i did not find it as comfortable to ride as compared to RS/S.

Now with S- bike went to chickmagalur and came back, and it was very very dirty. Clutch handle was broken, 70% to hold., still i did the test ride, for some reason, bike was getting switched off while moving forward in first gear.

Finally I took the RS and the Triumph person who accompanied us took S., after midway we had exchanged, had to revv hard to not allow to switch off., is this any issue to be worried about in the new bike?

S felt very similar to the ride in city as it was in RS., hardly any difference., except that the clutch was silky smooth on RS., and its hard on S.

Now I am back to confusion S or RS., will the 3L additional be worth - for city riding and occasional or weekend breakfast rides? Or Should I make do with S.?

Will S get replaced shortly with a newer model in a year or so and diminish its value?

Help...
Old 24th June 2018, 19:57   #149
Team-BHP Support

The 2018 triples are all new. It is not getting replaced anytime soon. I would suggest test ride a properly serviced bike. It will make a world of difference. I feel from what you have described you should be fine with the S model as well. No need for RS
Old 24th June 2018, 22:35   #150
Senior - BHPian

Given what you are saying you will use the bike for - S is just fine for you. You dont need to spend the additional 3L for RS.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks