Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports

Search this Thread
Old 4th November 2017, 22:35   #16
BHPian

Re: Triumph Street Triple RS launched at Rs. 10.55 lakh

Hi Axe77,
In the owner’s manual of STriple RS, we can see that the RS has a wide range of settings for tuning the suspension (for both front and rear). Though I haven’t ridden, I guess the RS may offer a slightly more softer and plush suspension by choosing the right setting (based on the rider’s weight). Of course this can be confirmed based on an extensive Test ride.

I think you are one of the best persons to test ride the RS and compare it against the S. Also hoping to see your ownership thread on your STriple.

Last edited by shan_ned : 4th November 2017 at 22:38.
shan_ned is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2017, 23:14   #17
Team-BHP Support

Hey Shan_ned. Thanks. I actually haven't ridden the RS yet so that basic caveat remains. Will share my comparison thoughts when I do. I am informed by some triumph sales folks that even after adjusting it doesn't have the suppleness of the S. So my comments are based on those second hand inputs.

In any event, everyone may not aspire for the MOST comfortable ride and be happy to trade that slight comfort for the raw experience of the RS. People like you and Ricci (who's clearly well experienced with his Daytona ownership) will likely make a well informed judgment call. I was simply referring to those select few who might be picking their possibly first big bike and simply going for the highest variant.

Last edited by Aditya : 5th November 2017 at 09:49. Reason: Spacing, formatting
Axe77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2017, 21:16   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shan_ned View Post
Apart from that, did you feel any difference in the ergonomics of the S and RS ? Though I have ridden the S only, I have sat on the RS and observed the difference in the way the foot pegs are placed. On the S, the foot pegs are bit forward. So at stand still, it interferes with your legs when placed on the ground and I have to move my legs forward by a centimeter or so to avoid touching the foot pegs. On the RS, I didn't see that issue. Not sure if I am the only guy who is seeing the foot peg interference problem on the S (not a serious problem though).
The footpeg and rearset assembly is the same/identical on both, relative to the frame - except that the RS has shorter feeler tabs, that's all ; but due to the steeper head/steering and different ride height owing to suspension length and setting, the RS is a touch taller.

I'll try ride both again when I go next to have the Daytona service done.
Ricci is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th November 2017, 21:33   #19
BHPian

Alrighty then, so the 765 RS test ride bike isn't there yet and the media bike was in the service shop, so I rode the 765 S only.This time I made sure I was in road mode and this time, a little longer route and thankfully, traffic was much sparser.

The S suspension is still stiff for Indian roads, but a lot more pliant than the RS on stock settings. If the RS suspension range can go softer than the S, that would make it a more suitable ride for our roads. There's only 1 RS delivered in Pune so far, another will likely be delivered by a lucky owner soon ; I'll try and get them to share suspension details from their manual. The brakes are very nice indeed, strong bite, good feel and loads of power, albeit not as progressive as the Brembos on the RS. Suspension dive is more pronounced on the S, which is expected given the relatively softer suspension.

As for the engine performance, well, on paper, the 765 S makes a maximum of 111hp and the 765 RS makes a 121hp at its peak. When you ride 3-digit horsepower machines, 5-10hp is barely noticeable. So I kind of expected not a whole lot of difference between the S and RS, rather expecting the S to have better low end.

Couldn't have been further from reality. I don't know what magic Triumph has infused in the RS, or if the S was tuned by the Thunderbird LT team and the RS by the Daytona team, but they're as different as a labrador is from a Dobermann, or , a VFR from a Fireblade. What's 10 hp on paper, feels more like 30hp in the saddle. The S just feels tame in comparison. It isn't slow per se, but the RS is just so much wilder, quicker, it's not a difference of unnees-bees (19-20).

The gear ratios aren't different as per my knowledge (haven't found all the tech data - viz, the gear ratios and primary and final reduction ratios , to verify) , but I did find this dyno graph, and it doesn't explain why the RS feels so much more quicker.

Triumph Street Triple RS launched at Rs. 10.55 lakh-test_2017_triumph_street_triple_power_torque_curves.jpg

Last edited by Ricci : 14th November 2017 at 21:35.
Ricci is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th November 2017, 22:40   #20
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricci View Post

What's 10 hp on paper, feels more like 30hp in the saddle. The S just feels tame in comparison. It isn't slow per se, but the RS is just so much wilder, quicker, it's not a difference of unnees-bees (19-
From those graphs - it looks like the real difference starts post 8500rpm, where the RS turns into a beast of its own.
Old 14th November 2017, 22:50   #21
Team-BHP Support

Triumph Street Triple RS launched at Rs. 10.55 lakh

Honestly I haven't had the guts to ride beyond 8500 rpm yet. But then I am quite inexperienced a rider on such bikes compared to many others here.
Axe77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2017, 23:07   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
From those graphs - it looks like the real difference starts post 8500rpm, where the RS turns into a beast of its own.
That's just the thing - riding within city or outskirts where the roads aren't wide open highways, that's about the max RPM I hit - typically closer to 8000 than 9000, before shifting up or braking, more likely the latter, and that is the range (3000-9000) I spent most of my short rides on the S and RS and still the RS comes off stronger than it looks on paper.

If you're regularly spending a lot of time in 5 digit RPMs on a 600, you're probably ready for a litre class and have the roads/traffic to make good use of one.
Old 15th November 2017, 21:14   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Alrighty then, so the 765 RS test ride bike isn't there yet and the media bike was in the service shop, so I rode the 765 S only.This time I made sure I was in road mode and this time, a little longer route and thankfully, traffic was much sparser.
Thanks for your feedback. Also the dyno graph looks interesting. The R version seems to have the best mid-range.

For the gear ratios, all the three versions have the same ratios (as per the owner’s manual which can be downloaded from the Triumph UK website).

I guess the difference in the power delivery (between S and RS) can be noticed/appreciated by highly experienced riders only.

Did you observe any difference in the placing of foot pegs ?

Last edited by mobike008 : 15th November 2017 at 21:28. Reason: Please avoid quoting full/long posts for a short reply
Old 5th December 2017, 10:23   #24
BHPian

Had the RS with me for the entire day on Sunday and i put in about a 150 km on the odo before returning the bike back to the extremely great guys at One Triumph Delhi. I am simply blown away by the bike. The low speed ride is brilliant, the brakes are the best i have ever experienced on a big bike, suspension though a bit hard- can be tuned. The throttle response and on/off transition is absolutely brilliant and so is the quickshifter. God only knows what magic Triumph has pulled off with this one.

I had also shortlisted a few other bikes but to hell with it- i am going to be booking the RS in the next 10 days in the absolutely gorgeous matt grey shade. I am smitten!
RohanDheman is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th December 2017, 17:42   #25
BHPian

Just picked up the Striple RS and am loving it. Still running it in so not much to say on the performance aspects, but this is a really easy bike to ride.

Coming from a litre class, which could be a handful in slow moving traffic, the difference is quite stark. This is something you could possibly use as a daily commuter as it seems quite comfortable pottering around in city traffic.Not what I was expecting at all and possibly a great bike for someone stepping up to supersport category. I cannot get over how well behaved this bike is.

More later once running in is done..... but for now..... I be like this
Caramba is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th December 2017, 20:51   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shan_ned View Post
I guess the difference in the power delivery (between S and RS) can be noticed/appreciated by highly experienced riders only.

Did you observe any difference in the placing of foot pegs ?
I don't know man, try the S and RS on the same day if you can so that you don't have to resort to (fading) memory of the other variant.

About the footpegs, I already answered that in an earlier post - they're the same part on both, relative to the frame, with the S getting longer feeler bolts - the difference is slight and due to suspension being different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RohanDheman View Post
The throttle response and on/off transition is absolutely brilliant and so is the quickshifter. God only knows what magic Triumph has pulled off with this one.

I am smitten!
Join the club! I wasn't expecting the RS to be as lively as it is either. It is magic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caramba View Post
Just picked up the Striple RS and am loving it. Still running it in so not much to say on the performance aspects, but this is a really easy bike to ride.

Coming from a litre class, which could be a handful in slow moving traffic, the difference is quite stark. This is something you could possibly use as a daily commuter as it seems quite comfortable pottering around in city traffic.Not what I was expecting at all and possibly a great bike for someone stepping up to supersport category. I cannot get over how well behaved this bike is.
Aha! Even litre class riders appreciating the 'little' Streetie ! Which litre class bike were you riding before? I made the mistake of test riding a BMW S1000RR and it's manic wild - but I still want one (or more! ). The prices, chunkier EMI and maintenance costs of the latest litre class bikes make my wallet want to curl up and hide.
Ricci is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th December 2017, 19:51   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Join the club! I wasn't expecting the RS to be as lively as it is either. It is magic!
Such was the magic that i booked mine almost immediately and i am getting her home on Sunday. I cannot wait to get her home and tick the biggest item off my bucket list
RohanDheman is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 14th December 2017, 20:13   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Such was the magic that i booked mine almost immediately and i am getting her home on Sunday. I cannot wait to get her home and tick the biggest item off my bucket list
Wow!! An awesome update sir. Hearty Congratulations!! Thanks to you, we also got to ride the beauty.

What time is the delivery on Sunday? If it is in the first half, will try to be there.

CHEERS!!

Rachit
Rachit.K.Dogra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2017, 23:27   #29
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Congratulations!

Looks like a machine that can be a fun ownership for many years to come. Triumphs somehow manage to have a soul in most of their triple bikes.
Old 14th December 2017, 23:58   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Congratulations, both god and me know how excited you have been for this. Great choice. Can't wait to shoot it.

Most Viewed