Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports

Search this Thread
Old 15th December 2017, 17:29   #31
BHPian

Re: Triumph Street Triple RS launched at Rs. 10.55 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricci View Post

Aha! Even litre class riders appreciating the 'little' Streetie ! Which litre class bike were you riding before? I made the mistake of test riding a BMW S1000RR and it's manic wild - but I still want one (or more! ). The prices, chunkier EMI and maintenance costs of the latest litre class bikes make my wallet want to curl up and hide.
The Z1000. The S1000R was the dream but really unaffordable. Coming back to the bike, I find the ride very comfortable. It does not feel as stiff as all the reviews seemed to allude or my previous ride had a much stiffer ride. So I have not bothered adjusting the settings. Though I really suspect the front has already been turned down a bit.
Caramba is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2017, 18:45   #32
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caramba View Post
The Z1000.

It does not feel as stiff as all the reviews seemed to allude or my previous ride had a much stiffer ride.
Z1000 was always known for the harsh ride. It was a heavy machine and they made it sporty by compromising on the ride quality quite a lot.
Old 17th December 2017, 16:56   #33
BHPian

And she is here!! I call her Betty. My E36 is called Veronica!

Triumph Street Triple RS launched at Rs. 10.55 lakh-imageuploadedbyteambhp1513509933.022022.jpg

Triumph Street Triple RS launched at Rs. 10.55 lakh-imageuploadedbyteambhp1513509951.559685.jpg

Cheers

Rohan
RohanDheman is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 17th December 2017, 17:38   #34
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats Rohan! Nice name you have chosen for her - Veronica. By that logic the Street Triple S should be called "Betty".

The RS looks amazing in this shade. I don't like Matt finish - but this is an exception.
Old 17th December 2017, 18:01   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v12 View Post
Congrats Rohan! Nice name you have chosen for her - Veronica. By that logic the Street Triple S should be called "Betty".

The RS looks amazing in this shade. I don't like Matt finish - but this is an exception.

Thank you!! My feelings on Matt finish are exactly the same. I usually hate them. But with this, something frustrating felt right!

PS- My RS is called Betty. Veronica is the name given to my E36.
RohanDheman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2017, 14:01   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricci View Post

As for the engine performance, well, on paper, the 765 S makes a maximum of 111hp and the 765 RS makes a 121hp at its peak. When you ride 3-digit horsepower machines, 5-10hp is barely noticeable. So I kind of expected not a whole lot of difference between the S and RS, rather expecting the S to have better low end.

Couldn't have been further from reality. I don't know what magic Triumph has infused in the RS, or if the S was tuned by the Thunderbird LT team and the RS by the Daytona team, but they're as different as a labrador is from a Dobermann, or , a VFR from a Fireblade. What's 10 hp on paper, feels more like 30hp in the saddle. The S just feels tame in comparison. It isn't slow per se, but the RS is just so much wilder, quicker, it's not a difference of unnees-bees (19-20).

Attachment 1696293
Exactly my dilemma about the RS and I went on to find the cause. As I read everywhere, I came to know that RS is putting little less (Visordown 119.8 bhp) , equal (Scorpion and some other magazine as well 121 bhp) or even higher (MCN 126 bhp) BHP at wheel while Triumph says 121 bhp at crank. MCN even put RS with Speed on same day, same dyno and results were astonishing (126 bhp for RS and 128 bhp for speed, so can't say dyno was faulty or badly calibrated). There is a possibility that RS is utilizing whatever this 765 motor is capable of in production form (Daytona if comes must have a different head design for more power) while S have it in a mellowed down form for proper Street use. You guys can find out the related articles from above quoted publications to verify. Same talks on Triumph and Street Triple forums as well. This could be done by Triumph to keep alive the aging Speed Triple.

Recently, one friend who owns ZX14r went for a test ride on RS and came back with his jaws dropped as he was not able to keep the front wheel down which doesn't happen so easily on his bike. I am in love with this bike.
dchahal is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th December 2017, 15:39   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchahal View Post
Exactly my dilemma about the RS and I went on to find the cause. As I read everywhere, I came to know that RS is putting little less (Visordown 119.8 bhp) , equal (Scorpion and some other magazine as well 121 bhp) or even higher (MCN 126 bhp) BHP at wheel while Triumph says 121 bhp at crank. MCN even put RS with Speed on same day, same dyno and results were astonishing (126 bhp for RS and 128 bhp for speed, so can't say dyno was faulty or badly calibrated). There is a possibility that RS is utilizing whatever this 765 motor is capable of in production form (Daytona if comes must have a different head design for more power) while S have it in a mellowed down form for proper Street use. You guys can find out the related articles from above quoted publications to verify. Same talks on Triumph and Street Triple forums as well. This could be done by Triumph to keep alive the aging Speed Triple.

Recently, one friend who owns ZX14r went for a test ride on RS and came back with his jaws dropped as he was not able to keep the front wheel down which doesn't happen so easily on his bike. I am in love with this bike.
Good inference, dchahal !!!

Even I was puzzled when most of the dyno tests on RS claimed that the Wheel BHP was on par with the Crank BHP quoted by Triumph. So going by a rough estimate, the Crank BHP must be close to 135 BHP. So that brings the RS in the Speed Triple territory. This may also be one of the reasons to see a significant difference in the performance of RS and S.
Old 18th December 2017, 15:47   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shan_ned View Post
Good inference, dchahal !!!

Even I was puzzled when most of the dyno tests on RS claimed that the Wheel BHP was on par with the Crank BHP quoted by Triumph. So going by a rough estimate, the Crank BHP must be close to 135 BHP. So that brings the RS in the Speed Triple territory. This may also be one of the reasons to see a significant difference in the performance of RS and S.
Thats what I think after so much screen time to find this out and as one member here already said that he felt RS quite strong in comparison to Daytona in low and mid range which itself was rated around 118 bhp here and 126 bhp globally. RS have a good poke at top end as well we all know, so there is no denying to the fact that 135 bhp at crank can be true.

Last edited by dchahal : 18th December 2017 at 15:56.
Old 18th December 2017, 19:31   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Same talks on Triumph and Street Triple forums as well. This could be done by Triumph to keep alive the aging Speed triple.
Its funny you say that cause thats exactly what i feel about the Z900 and Z1000 pair from kawasaki. In this case the Z900 probably loses out on those electrogizmos to simply keep the Z1000 relevant otherwise the Z900 is such a cracker by itself!

Congrats and ride safe!
Old 18th December 2017, 19:37   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilesh5417 View Post
Its funny you say that cause thats exactly what i feel about the Z900 and Z1000 pair from kawasaki. In this case the Z900 probably loses out on those electrogizmos to simply keep the Z1000 relevant otherwise the Z900 is such a cracker by itself!

Congrats and ride safe!
Yes Z900 is amazing value for its price. One close buddy got one recently and he hardly keeps front wheel on road bcz of all that power available on tap.
Old 21st December 2017, 11:01   #41
BHPian

Hey guys, have heard a lot of concerns about the stiff ride quality of RS on roads and it's practicality. I must admit that it's faring rather well with all the aspects. In Road mode of suspension settings (don't confuse it with electronic Rider modes) the bike runs amazingly well on reasonably well paved roads but the ride becomes bouncy as we reach patchy ill maintained roads. So, I thought of doing something about it and invested 10-15 minuets in figuring out and adjusting the suspension front and rear. I dialled the comfort settings while keeping the preload as stock which have just right amount of sag when a Rider sits on the Bike. You guys can check the turns for Showa (compression 7 turns and rebound 5.5 turns for comfort) and clicks for Öhlins (20 clicks for both compression and rebound) in the manual. The ride on bad roads have improved by leaps and bounds, along with still good cornering behaviour. Try it out if you are not happy with stock setup.
dchahal is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st December 2017, 11:43   #42
BHPian

See harsher ride quality on some surfaces of paved roads is normal. My FZ1 was incredibly stiff as well but, I had dialled down the compression considerably and increased the rebound by a couple of clicks (you'll have to find your sweet spot as per your weight and riding style)
At the rear, I prefer having standard pre-load (factory set) but again I dial down the compression and dial up the rebound.
This will not improve the ride quality but would give you a stable ride quality especially when you hit a bump. Also, you could play around with your tyre pressure and find a sweet spot there.
Old 21st December 2017, 17:03   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Hey guys, have heard a lot of concerns about the stiff ride quality of RS on roads and it's practicality. I must admit that it's faring rather well with all the aspects. In Road mode of suspension settings (don't confuse it with electronic Rider modes) the bike runs amazingly well on reasonably well paved roads but the ride becomes bouncy as we reach patchy ill maintained roads. So, I thought of doing something about it and invested 10-15 minuets in figuring out and adjusting the suspension front and rear. I dialled the comfort settings while keeping the preload as stock which have just right amount of sag when a Rider sits on the Bike. You guys can check the turns for Showa (compression 7 turns and rebound 5.5 turns for comfort) and clicks for Öhlins (20 clicks for both compression and rebound) in the manual. The ride on bad roads have improved by leaps and bounds, along with still good cornering behaviour. Try it out if you are not happy with stock setup.
Great to get some feedback about the RS suspension performance in comfort mode. If you had any chance of comparing the 'RS' with comfort setting and the 'S', please let us know.
Old 21st December 2017, 23:35   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shan_ned View Post
Great to get some feedback about the RS suspension performance in comfort mode. If you had any chance of comparing the 'RS' with comfort setting and the 'S', please let us know.
For 765 S, I have to check but on my 675 in stock settings (front non adjustable and rear only preload adjustable) the rear used to stay at hinge 2 and bike used to glide over everything but there was considerable sag in this setting and you could scrape the underbelly if care is not put. So I adjusted it to hinge 4 and it never scraped after (I was still careful) but ride quality became bouncy. My conclusion is that RS have lot of adjustability available in its setup and we can enjoy both of the worlds say comfort and handling.
dchahal is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2017, 13:00   #45
BHPian

Quote:
as one member here already said that he felt RS quite strong in comparison to Daytona in low and mid range which itself was rated around 118 bhp here and 126 bhp globally. RS have a good poke at top end as well we all know, so there is no denying to the fact that 135 bhp at crank can be true.
That was me. I did read on one of the Triumph forums about the 765RS and Speed Triple being 2 hp apart on the same dyno on the same day, but I couldn't find any dyno charts apart from the one I posted on page 2 of this thread, so I didn't mention that earlier. It would indeed be a surprise if Triumph under-claims the power output, but my seat of the pants dyno seems to agree!

Quote:
My conclusion is that RS have lot of adjustability available in its setup and we can enjoy both of the worlds say comfort and handling.
This is precisely what I was recommending to potential buyers - don't rule out the RS based on media/showroom people talking about how all the equipment is 'for the race track' and buy the S eyes closed then realize you might have wanted some ability to adjust this and that but cannot. I've adjusted the suspension settings on the Daytona and though it's a different brand, the difference is telling - being able to independently adjust compression and rebound (and not just preload, which is meant for a different purpose) is worth it.

Quote:
Hey guys, have heard a lot of concerns about the stiff ride quality of RS on roads and it's practicality. I must admit that it's faring rather well with all the aspects. In Road mode of suspension settings (don't confuse it with electronic Rider modes) the bike runs amazingly well on reasonably well paved roads but the ride becomes bouncy as we reach patchy ill maintained roads.
Anyone still have doubts on the value of adjustable suspension? Now you hear it straight from the horse's mouth. Forget the LCD dash and quick-shifter, it's the engine (head/cam/valves) and suspension (as the 765S has excellent brakes too though) that make the RS the variant to go for, IMHO, that's what I'm sayin'.

Last edited by Ricci : 23rd December 2017 at 13:02.
Ricci is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed