Team-BHP - Triumph Street Triple RS launched at Rs. 10.55 lakh
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Superbikes & Imports (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/superbikes-imports/)
-   -   Triumph Street Triple RS launched at Rs. 10.55 lakh (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/superbikes-imports/191591-triumph-street-triple-rs-launched-rs-10-55-lakh.html)

Triumph has launched the new Street Triple RS in India. The bike is priced at Rs. 10.55 lakh (ex-showroom, India).

The bike measures 2,065 mm in length, 1,085 mm in height and has a wheelbase of 1,410 mm. The seat height is 825 mm. The bike weighs 166 kg and comes with a 17.4-litre fuel tank.

Triumph Street Triple RS launched at Rs. 10.55 lakh-0x9a8537.jpg

Aesthetically, it looks similar to the standard Street Triple barring a few changes. The twin-pod headlamp unit has been retained but it gets new bodywork and flyscreen with integrated air intake. The front cowl wraps around a 5-inch adjustable TFT instrument panel, which comes with a lap timer. The new switchgear incorporates a 5-way joystick. It also gets a redesigned twin-seat setup, rear heel guards and forged pillion footrest hangers. The bike comes in new shades of Matte Silver Ice and Phantom Black (Metallic).

The Street Triple RS gets a new frame and a double-sided swingarm. Unlike the under-seat exhaust of the Speed Triple, it has a short, underbody, free-flow exhaust.

Triumph Street Triple RS launched at Rs. 10.55 lakh-street-triple-rs-small.png

The Street Triple RS is powered by a 765cc, liquid-cooled, in-line 3-cylinder engine which produces 121 BHP @ 11,700 rpm and 77 Nm of torque @ 10,800 rpm. The engine is mated to a 6-speed gearbox via a slip and assist clutch.

The frame of the bike is supported by adjustable 41-mm upside-down forks with 115 mm of travel and an Ohlins STX40 adjustable rear monoshock offering 131 mm of wheel travel. Brakes come in the form of twin 310-mm floating discs with 4-piston monobloc calipers from Brembo and a 220-mm fixed disc with a single-piston Brembo caliper in the front and rear respectively. The bike rides on 17-inch cast wheels shod with 120/70 ZR17 and 180/55 ZR17 Pirelli Diablo Supercorsa SP tyres in the front and rear respectively.

The Street Triple RS comes with features like ride-by-wire, 5 riding modes - Rain, Road, Sport, Track and Rider, switchable ABS and traction control, LED position headlights with DRLs, self-cancelling indicators, a quick shifter that allows clutch less upshifts, etc.

Link to Team-BHP News

Street Triple RS is launched in Bangalore. The on-road price is Rs.13.3L

Short review of the Triumph Street Triple 765 RS

Yesterday our group went for a breakfast ride to one of our favorite place which is owned by a fellow rider who also joined us for the ride.

I got to know that even the Triumph group was heading there and for a moment, I had a strong mind to change the destination as there is an issue with Police folks catching breakfast sunday riders and hence my preference of riding on Saturdays. Well, not always that all of us can ride when we want...Sigh!

We continued with our plan and once we reached the destination were greeted by a couple of brand new Street Triple 765 RS of which one was owned by a customer and other was a test ride bike brought in by the showroom manager.

He was happy to give the test rides and out of 12 from our group nearly 6-7 of us took the test ride (including folks who own a Z800, Speed Triple and rest were us Luna guys-Versys 650..LOL!)

There was no limit to time or kms but, we all generally rode for about 10-15kms which I felt was more than sufficient to get a good feel of the bike

As soon as I started the bike and moved ahead, I knew this bike was special. I have ridden the old Street Triple several times including during a long ride of about 100kms or more. It was always a nice, flickable and powerful street bike but, this new version just blew me away completely and after a real long time I was impressed with a motorcycle in totality

Firstly, Ergonomics are better than the older street triple. Not sure if there has been any changes to it (not following this bike launch too closely) but, it felt rather comfortable even for my large size. It needs little getting used to the higher foot-pegs which are placed little further back.

Engine is extremely smooth and there are no vibrations at all and there is a sense of manic and urgency to the whole riding experience and you cannot control the urge to wring the throttle which we all did with great abundance. The RS accelerates in an astonishing way and 100kmph comes up literally after you blink a few times and much faster than your senses can acclimatize with the bike. And, you almost feel like being dragged ahead with urgency which kind of scared me a bit.

The quickshifter is a wonderful thing and helps you change the gears seamlessly and without as much as letting go of the throttle even a micro mili inch and engine roar is best described as "maniac".

I have a couple of videos of my test run but, would refrain from sharing it on the forum which can give the viewers a sense of total chaos onboard the Street Triple RS:D

It's very agile, light and super flickable and best part is turning radius is very short

The much talked about TFT screen is quite beautiful and does not look like an afterthought "iPad" stuck on to the front console. The display is bright and clear even in the bright late morning sunlight

Apart from the crazy accelaration and sweet sound of the engine the other impressive thing about this motorcycle are the Brembo brakes, they have wonderful bite and awesome stopping power. You feel totally confident at any speed with that surreal braking power at your behest

When I came back super charged, thrilled to the bones and with an almost scary look on my face, Amal grinned at me and said it's in its subtlest mode which is the "Road mode". Imagine what would be my situation if it was in sports or even worse in a track moderl:

He mentioned that people are just coming in and buying it off the shelf even without a test ride and they are already sold out of the first batch.

Well, it's a perfect street bike for people looking to get some adrenaline rushing thrills albeit at a very steep price of 13 Lakhs OTR

Beautiful 2-lane where the test ride was done

Triumph Street Triple RS launched at Rs. 10.55 lakh-file5.jpeg

Gorgeous street stance

Triumph Street Triple RS launched at Rs. 10.55 lakh-file11-1.jpeg

I was not a fan of the buggy eyes of the erstwhile model. This looks better, IMO

Triumph Street Triple RS launched at Rs. 10.55 lakh-file21.jpeg

Triumph Street Triple RS launched at Rs. 10.55 lakh-file3.jpeg

Triumph Street Triple RS launched at Rs. 10.55 lakh-file1.jpeg

Triumph Street Triple RS launched at Rs. 10.55 lakh-file4.jpeg

Exhilarated and advising the next tester (in red shoes) to be careful with the throttle who is a fellow V rider...Haha

Triumph Street Triple RS launched at Rs. 10.55 lakh-file6.jpeg

Quote:

Originally Posted by shan_ned (Post 4291249)
Street Triple RS is launched in Bangalore. The on-road price is Rs.13.3L

It costs 13.04 lac here in Kerala.

mobike- shall we atleast have a pic of your face after the TD :)

Sirji, how would you compare the brutality of the RS compared to S ? The price difference in Bangalore is almost 2.2L :(

Also - how is the RS compared to Z900 in pure acceleration & drama ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkdas (Post 4296789)
It costs 13.04 lac here in Kerala.

12.75 Lakhs on road here. Besides that Rebel is very flexible and I am sure there would be further discounts and not to mention this offer ( Of all the places, this pamphlet was part of this morning newspaper)

Triumph Street Triple RS launched at Rs. 10.55 lakh-file11.jpeg

Triumph Street Triple RS launched at Rs. 10.55 lakh-file4.jpeg

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkdas (Post 4296789)
mobike- shall we atleast have a pic of your face after the TD

Quote:

Originally Posted by ethanhunt123 (Post 4296839)
Sirji, how would you compare the brutality of the RS compared to S ? The price difference in Bangalore is almost 2.2L

I have not ridden the S so cannot make any comments about it

However, as per specs the RS is 10% more powerful and has additional torque at almost similar RPMs. Besides this there are many other additions not found in S like :

TFT Screen
Riding Modes
Brembo Brakes
Quick Shifter
Ohlin Suspensions
Adjustable Showa suspensions for front....Etc

It is certainly a more capable bike than the S version. It all depends on how/what the buyer is finally going to use it for

I personally feel it belongs on track and would be a waste of good money if bought for breakfast or street rides for which S would be any day suffice

But, if budget is not a problem them RS is the way to go !!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by ethanhunt123 (Post 4296839)
Also - how is the RS compared to Z900 in pure acceleration & drama ?

This would be a wonderful comparison to know. Unfortunately, I rode the Z800 but, never the Z900 and can easily say that Striple RS is lot better than the Z800

But, to quote the opinion of the Z800 owner who also took the test ride of the bike " Z800 engine is smoother than Striple RS" but, my personal opinion is otherwise.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mobike008 (Post 4297187)
It is certainly a more capable bike than the S version. It all depends on how/what the buyer is finally going to use it for

I personally feel it belongs on track and would be a waste of good money if bought for breakfast or street rides for which S would be any day suffice

But, if budget is not a problem them RS is the way to go !!!

There's a bit more to this actually. Its not about whether the S is enough. The RS is actually a much stiffer ride which makes the S a more practical variant to live with in the real world. Power is all relative of course and one may choose 10% more or less at each price point and there's no real right or wrong choice there. Its the associated stiffness of the RS that is something buyers should certainly keep in mind if buying the RS variant. I have no doubt that the oomph factor of the TFT are compelling not to mention the superior brakes and shocks.

But as you rightly said, buyers have to choose keeping in mind how and where they are going to ride in the real world. I have had more than one Triumph dealership guy tell me that for most real world use, they'd any day prefer using the S over the RS.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mobike008 (Post 4297187)

Fully agree. My personal feel was it was too stiff for the roads. The Quick Shift felt good for few minutes of excitement. What I really liked was the brakes. The feel is better than some bigger bikes. It was consistent from first pull to end of lever. My FZ is really spongy first and grabs hard towards end in comparison.

Even with full tank, felt so lightweight even though I was on tip toe. The Dash is cool, but distracting, pushes you to see you RPMs and shift timing.:D

Surprised why Triumph didnt bring the R to India. It would have been a better option, equipment and price wise. Wanted to personally try the R, but not offered for test here.

The RS is too high spec for regular weekend warriors who stick to the street. For track guys, you should know how to get S prepped up and customized for your ergos.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Axe77 (Post 4297194)
There's a bit more to this actually. Its not about whether the S is enough. The RS is actually a much stiffer ride which makes the S a more practical variant to live with in the real world. Power is all relative of course and one may choose 10% more or less at each price point and there's no real right or wrong choice there. Its the associated stiffness of the RS that is something buyers should certainly keep in mind if buying the RS variant. I have no doubt that the oomph factor of the TFT are compelling not to mention the superior brakes and shocks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mail4ajo (Post 4297250)
Fully agree. My personal feel was it was too stiff for the roads.

The RS is too high spec for regular weekend warriors who stick to the street. For track guys, you should know how to get S prepped up and customized for your ergos.

The default setting of the suspension of the RS may be stiff, but that can be tuned to one's requirement. So I guess the suspension stiffness may not be a big factor. I do agree on the point that the high spec hardware of RS is not required for regular street riding.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Axe77 (Post 4297194)
The RS is actually a much stiffer ride which makes the S a more practical variant to live with in the real world. Power is all relative of course and one may choose 10% more or less at each price point and there's no real right or wrong choice there. Its the associated stiffness of the RS that is something buyers should certainly keep in mind if buying the RS variant. I have no doubt that the oomph factor of the TFT are compelling not to mention the superior brakes and shocks.

I did not find the "stiffness" that you are citing for the RS. Infact, the Versys owner (red shoes in picture) mentioned it as comfortable at least a couple of times (Mind you we never rode the S so cannot compare how much more comfortable it is)

With regards to practicality of S vs. RS. I can tell you one thing. >50% of these super bikes are bought by wealthy people and not necessarily hard core biking aficionados and they buy because there is a new product in the market and sell it off after it's uniqueness or that initial brouhaha is over.

Hyderabad market is full of such people. Some of my friends have upgraded to not less than 6-7 super bikes in less than 3 years

So for any wealthy buyer. It does not really matter with these technical differences but, it's more about buying the "top-end", unique factor etc

Quote:

Originally Posted by mail4ajo (Post 4297250)
The Quick Shift felt good for few minutes of excitement. What I really liked was the brakes. The feel is better than some bigger bikes. It was consistent from first pull to end of lever. The RS is too high spec for regular weekend warriors who stick to the street. For track guys, you should know how to get S prepped up and customized for your ergos.

Quick shifter is perfect for tracks but, an overkill for highway riding where urgency to shift is not required:D

With regards to brakes, I am in full agreement. I was super impressed with it's stopping power.

To summarize S is good enough for prospective buyers but, folks with a deep pocket can & should buy the RS for the sheer additional equipment over the S:thumbs up

Quote:

Originally Posted by shan_ned (Post 4297273)
The default setting of the suspension of the RS may be stiff, but that can be tuned to one's requirement.

+1 on that.

One of the deciding factors back when I was choosing between the Street Triple 675 and Daytona was adjustable suspension and high performance brakes. And it did prove worthwhile, as I have set the suspension to 'Comfort' setting as per the manual. The difference between Comfort and Standard is only 2 clicks, but it makes a substantial difference in ride quality. There's quite a bit of settings/clicks on either (stiffer/softer) side to choose from, as per your weight and preference.

With this in mind, I was eager to have R/RS launched here. The RS I rode just this Sunday, and it's a firecracker. I forgot to note which ride mode it was in, but low and mid range are very strong, it rips to ~9000RPM pretty quickly, I ran out of road after that and had to brake, and the brakes impressed too. The front Brembo has strong initial bite without being aggressively grabby (like the BMW S1000RR) and felt very progressive with further pressure. The master cylinder to piston effort ratio can be set one of 2 or 3 settings - I think I saw 18mm , 19mm and 20mm engraved. Didn't play around with those though.

Comparing to my Daytona 675, the 765 RS has way stronger low-mid range punch in how it gets to 9000, but in my experience engines with super-strong mid-range tend to be weak up top - probably will be proved wrong with the RS - and other bikes I haven't had the chances to explore properly, like the S1000RR. I'll need a longer ride to properly explore the 765 RS' upper reaches, and how much the wind-blast in comparison, but the RS is more of an upgrade than the cc increase suggests. Boy, I am hooked.

The old Street Triple didn't appeal half as much in its detuned avatar even with Arrow treatment - the motor felt way weaker, the engine sound was muted and the Daytona 675 just had the Street Triple everywhere - engine, suspension, brakes, sound. I don't think there will be a Daytona 765 judging from market sentiment and lack of any spy success, but even if there is, I reckon the 765 RS can hold its own.

I've only had very short rides (4-5km) on the 765 S and 765 RS. From what I could tell, the S is tuned softly, but that could be due to selected ride mode being Rain while the RS could be in Track mode.

Anyone contemplating the 765, don't rule out the RS as 'overspecced' and meant for trackday junkies - I've never been to a track, probably never will but I'm far keener on the RS, than the S. Having some control over tuning/setting up your bike is worth something. Whether it's worth 2-odd lakhs, you can decide after riding both.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDco0fLlzck

Powerdrift gets to business as usual! :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ricci (Post 4297844)
+1 on that.

One of the deciding factors back when I was choosing between the Street Triple 675 and Daytona was adjustable suspension and high performance brakes. And it did prove worthwhile, as I have set the suspension to 'Comfort' setting as per the manual. The difference between Comfort and Standard is only 2 clicks, but it makes a substantial difference in ride quality. There's quite a bit of settings/clicks on either (stiffer/softer) side to choose from, as per your weight and preference.

Anyone contemplating the 765, don't rule out the RS as 'overspecced' and meant for trackday junkies - I've never been to a track, probably never will but I'm far keener on the RS, than the S. Having some control over tuning/setting up your bike is worth something. Whether it's worth 2-odd lakhs, you can decide after riding both.

Ricci, Thanks for the valuable information on the suspension tuning.

Apart from that, did you feel any difference in the ergonomics of the S and RS ? Though I have ridden the S only, I have sat on the RS and observed the difference in the way the foot pegs are placed. On the S, the foot pegs are bit forward. So at stand still, it interferes with your legs when placed on the ground and I have to move my legs forward by a centimeter or so to avoid touching the foot pegs. On the RS, I didn't see that issue. Not sure if I am the only guy who is seeing the foot peg interference problem on the S (not a serious problem though).

Quote:

Originally Posted by shan_ned (Post 4298348)

Apart from that, did you feel any difference in the ergonomics of the S and RS ? Though I have ridden the S only, I have sat on the RS and observed the difference in the way the foot pegs are placed.

The steering head angle (rake) and trail is different on the R and RS compared to the S. Its is lower and explains the slightly better handling character. I am not sure if mere mortals like us will be able to understand. Maybe someone with lots of exp can tell.

The RS felt a lot more tucked in compared to the older triple. Maybe its the placement of the foot pegs.

I happened to be in the triumph showroom recently and a sales person was advising a customer that for their proposed usage (lots of city) - the S is much better suited because of the advantage of the ride quality (even after factoring adjustments). I was pretty impressed frankly that they weren’t trying to blindly push an RS. This is something he had mentioned to me on another occasion as well in a casual conversation.

The customer though was totally sold on the RS only. Mostly on account of - nahin apna budget mein hai or agar mein S chalaoonga toh jab bhi mein peeche RS dekhoonga to bekaar lagega. :uncontrol

I think some people simply can’t understand the two bikes have totally different characteristics and may suit different purposes. For them S and RS seemed like lxi, vxi and zxi. Budget hai toh top end hee leneka hai.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mobike008 (Post 4297470)

So for any wealthy buyer. It does not really matter with these technical differences but, it's more about buying the "top-end", unique factor etc

Haha. +1 to that for sure. This statement of yours totally rang true to me as I overheard the above conversation.