Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 16th November 2018, 18:14   #646
BHPian

Re: The Royal Enfield Interceptor & Continental 650. EDIT: Launched @ Rs 2.50 - 2.65 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasirkaka View Post
This also means that interceptor will be replacing my Versys 650, and with so many new bike launches, selling the versys for a decent price itself would be a task.. Lets see.
That's an interesting call. Aesthetics aside, the Versys is better on almost every other aspect so this would be a downgrade. I have a Bonneville A3 and I'm planning to go the other way and get a V-Strom 650. The middleweight 650 touring bikes (the Versys and the V-Strom) in my opinion are the best suited bikes for our conditions.

Do extensively test drive the Interceptor, especially on the highways and bad roads before you make your decision. I won't be surprised if you keep the Versys.
ranjitnair77 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th November 2018, 18:47   #647
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Re: The Royal Enfield Interceptor & Continental 650. EDIT: Launched @ Rs 2.50 - 2.65 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitnair77 View Post
That's an interesting call. Aesthetics aside, the Versys is better on almost every other aspect so this would be a downgrade. I have a Bonneville A3 and I'm planning to go the other way and get a V-Strom 650. The middleweight 650 touring bikes (the Versys and the V-Strom) in my opinion are the best suited bikes for our conditions.

Do extensively test drive the Interceptor, especially on the highways and bad roads before you make your decision. I won't be surprised if you keep the Versys.
Yes yes, Versys obviously is a potent and proven machine, just that i am not able to ride that bike to its potential as i suffered a cardiac arrest in 2016, and related heath complications. :( post recovery, been mainly using the versys for city commuting and its not the best option in Bangalore kind of traffic, given the size, weight, high CG, and wasting consumables like tyres, chain sprocket, brake pads, rotors, which are fairly expensive, not to mention the gas cost. So a few months back i got myself the baby GS 310 and very happy with that bike so far. Perfect tool for our cities, which also means the versys is not even being used for commuting these days. I have always had a thing for retro classic British bikes, started touring on bullets, and even had a silver aircooled bonnie A3. If this Interceptor fares reasonably well on the reliability front, might as well replace versys with this one and use it for breakfast rides or general pottering around the town once in a while. Just to keep the retro classic bug satisfied.
nasirkaka is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 16th November 2018, 19:46   #648
BHPian

Not a fanboy of Royal Enfield bikes, have driven my cousin's 350 classic quite a few times and never liked the vibrations. My 11 year old honda Unicorn drives like a dream in comparison. I have always loved twin cylinders, still remember my neighbors yamaha 350 (blue) which we guys used to drool. Since the time I heard the news of the twin cylinder, i started following the interceptor and was pretty impressed with what zigwheels kartikeya showcased by placing a coffee cup on the fuel tank and revving the throttle. Literally no vibration, which is so NON enfield. I have never visited a Royal Enfield showroom till date. Today just called up one near my office and the sales guy said the bike is on display, so heading towards it now. So Royal Enfield is converting the non-believers like me; that's a feat in itself!
Madhu_Bengaluru is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 16th November 2018, 21:05   #649
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LazyGunner View Post
My height is only 5'3 and I found my feet hardly reaching the ground when the motorcycle was off side stand.

But seat height of INT650 has been a total disappointment for me. Any suggestions/possibilities of reducing it, I'm all ears.
It is important that you check out whether you can support the weight of the bike, and have the strength to right it, when it is tilted and you are supporting the weight on one leg. The shorter your inseam, the more the bike will tilt (adding to the weight you will feel) till your feet touch the ground.

This 'apparent weight' (actual weight and CG location) should be an important metric which I don't see mentioned anywhere, Indian or foreign. Seat height is mentioned, but a better metric would be 'inseam necessary to flatfoot'.

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th November 2018, 21:54   #650
BHPian

Went to have a look at the interceptor today. Post all the reviews (easy to ride, position of foot pegs etc) I was fairly confident that I would prefer the interceptor. However, after all the sitting trials, I felt that the bike was a bit bulky for me even though I have ridden an Electra 4S quite a bit. The width, the upright handle bars with the vibration reduction bar felt a bit too much for me.

Later I tried the GT just for the heck of it and man, it bought a smile on my face... The sleekness, riding position (I have no intention of touring more than a couple of hours) - somehow it made the bulk of the bike disappear. In fact it reminded me of the Yezdi Road King that I had restored a couple of years back.

I am really, really conflicted. Decided to ride them for a bit next week and then reconsider.

Prices (OTR Blr): Standard Interceptor - 2.99L and Custom (ICE Queen) - 3.27L
sprocket is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th November 2018, 22:25   #651
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthang View Post
Isn't the Side stand kill switch supposed to work only when a gear is engaged?

Most bikes allow running in neutral.

Cheers

Ride Safe
The side stand switch on the Royal Enfield 500cc UCE's sold in the US doesn't take the transmission gear selection into account .

The circuit is simple, with the switch controlling a relay switch which in turn, controls the main Power Relay.
If the sidestand is up, the Power Relay is activated, providing power to the fuel pump, the fuel injector, ignition coil and the Engine Control Unit.
If the sidestand is down, the Power Relay looses its ground path so it is not activated. This cuts off all electrical power to the fuel pump, fuel injector, ignition coil and ECU.
There is no over-ride in the circuit which would keep the side stand relay activated when the transmission is in neutral (although doing this would have been rather simple, had Royal Enfield chosen to incorporate this feature.)

Of course, I have no way of knowing what Royal Enfield did on the new 650 twins. Adding the additional wiring to allow the neutral switch to bypass the side stand switch cut-off would, as I said, be rather simple.
Doing this would not eliminate the problems we in the US have had with vibration from road shock causing the switch to temporarily cut off the engine power while we are riding though.
This problem could be solved by Royal Enfield designing the side stand switch so that it only activates after the sidestand has moved half way down.
Had they done this, small vibrations and movements of the side stand would not cause a problem.
ArizonaJim is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th November 2018, 22:54   #652
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
I have a confession to make.

But I couldn't resist this one for too long. After a long mental battle with myself, I booked an Interceptor (white + orange), much against my own inner voice saying "wait".

Perhaps I won't fulfill the booking ultimately, but I must admit the proposition RE has put before us is extremely desirable. Enough even to ignore hardened perceptions that have refused to die all these years.
You too Steer !!!

As you said its too tempting even with the traditional rival's latest Avatar. I am leaning a bit to that at the moment but the 27 BHP is the main damper.

The pictures Neil had taken shows a reasonable build quality as well

Best Regards & Ride Safe

Ram
r_nairtvm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2018, 23:06   #653
Senior - BHPian

Overdrive review of twins
Latheesh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th November 2018, 23:32   #654
Senior - BHPian

Visited nearby dealer today evening. Sharing some snaps and observations.

End weights on handlebar: smaller on INT650 compared to GT650

INT650 bar end weight
The Royal Enfield Interceptor & Continental 650. EDIT: Launched @ Rs 2.50 - 2.65 lakhs-endweightint650.jpg

GT650 bar end weight
The Royal Enfield Interceptor & Continental 650. EDIT: Launched @ Rs 2.50 - 2.65 lakhs-endweightgt650.jpg

Foot pegs on INT650 are forward compared to GT650, hence right foot comes close to engine cover. Clutch linkage might be closer to foot for some, I didn't feel it that way.
The Royal Enfield Interceptor & Continental 650. EDIT: Launched @ Rs 2.50 - 2.65 lakhs-footpositionint650.jpg
The Royal Enfield Interceptor & Continental 650. EDIT: Launched @ Rs 2.50 - 2.65 lakhs-footpositiongt650.jpg

Heel Guard: INT650 gets a smaller one compared to GT650. Does RE expect rider to lean less on INT650 than GT650?
The Royal Enfield Interceptor & Continental 650. EDIT: Launched @ Rs 2.50 - 2.65 lakhs-heelguardint650.jpg
The Royal Enfield Interceptor & Continental 650. EDIT: Launched @ Rs 2.50 - 2.65 lakhs-heelguardgt650.jpg

Oil filter is exposed, hope bash plate get curvature to protect it. I failed to locate mount points on frame for bash plate though.
The Royal Enfield Interceptor & Continental 650. EDIT: Launched @ Rs 2.50 - 2.65 lakhs-oilfilter.jpg

Radiator guard appears to be made out of aluminium. It's not fixed with screws, don't know need of foam padding here.
The Royal Enfield Interceptor & Continental 650. EDIT: Launched @ Rs 2.50 - 2.65 lakhs-radiatorguard.jpg

Right side panel opens with a key & reveals battery, toolkit. Circular knob on top allows cable pull for unlocking seat.

The Royal Enfield Interceptor & Continental 650. EDIT: Launched @ Rs 2.50 - 2.65 lakhs-rightsidepanel.jpg

And beneath seat lies the ECU. It's larger than one used in GT535 & better placed here than beneath the fuel tank. Folks doing full body bike wash should protect ECU.

The Royal Enfield Interceptor & Continental 650. EDIT: Launched @ Rs 2.50 - 2.65 lakhs-ecu.jpg

Price list from Siddh auto, Pune. Test rides would be available towards end of Nov.
The Royal Enfield Interceptor & Continental 650. EDIT: Launched @ Rs 2.50 - 2.65 lakhs-pricelistpune.jpg
sukiwa is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 17th November 2018, 00:30   #655
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaJim View Post
This problem could be solved by Royal Enfield designing the side stand switch so that it only activates after the sidestand has moved half way down.
Had they done this, small vibrations and movements of the side stand would not cause a problem.
Or, they could make a proper stand that doesn't get jiggy and use a standard switch like everyone else.

Anyhow, the 650's apparently have a normal one.

Cheers.

Ride safe

Last edited by Aditya : 18th November 2018 at 10:30. Reason: Typo
Old 17th November 2018, 01:55   #656
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikramvicky1984 View Post
Two questions internet has no answer for. Does anyone know?

1. What is the booking amount? Is it refundable?

2. list of those 120 dealerships where one can see the bike

Waiting eagerly for response
5000 is the booking amount

Last edited by suhaas307 : 17th November 2018 at 15:42. Reason: Trimming quoted post and formatting post
gautam99 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2018, 07:36   #657
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikramvicky1984 View Post
Two questions internet has no answer for. Does anyone know?

1. What is the booking amount? Is it refundable?
2. list of those 120 dealerships where one can see the bike

Waiting eagerly for response
Hi, I am from Kolkata. I have booked Interceptor 650, Mark Three Black yesterday. The booking amount is Rs. 5,000/-, and it is 100 % refundable till the final bill is generated.
sallubhai is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th November 2018, 08:01   #658
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sallubhai View Post
Hi, I am from Kolkata. I have booked Interceptor 650, Mark Three Black yesterday. The booking amount is Rs. 5,000/-, and it is 100 % refundable till the final bill is generated.
Those who have booked, and I see quite a few numbers already - please use the below dedicated thread so that the messages are not lost in this big thread.

Will be interesting to see how many bookings happen. This is really something because everyone knows RE is not the best in quality till now, but this bike has changed our confidence in the brand.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motor...-thread-4.html (The "I Booked my Bike / Scooter" Thread)
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th November 2018, 09:15   #659
Senior - BHPian

Attaching the colours that are available for the Interceptor 650 and Continental. (this was Forward to me by a Royal Enfield dealer.)
TWINS PRICE N COLOUR.pdf
Captain Slow is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th November 2018, 11:33   #660
BHPian

Hello Riders,

I've been thinking about this a lot. 3 lacs is 3 lacs, still a lot of money! But what do we get for it?

RE first batches are notorious be it Classic, Thunderbird, Himalayan. But the company has come a long way as said by Sid.

Weak points to live with:
1. Rear disc + tube tyre, you know the pain to remove the wheel and repair a puncture. But TBTS and now all ABS RE models have to live with it.

2. One who plans to use it daily with a 25kmpl efficiency need to consider the cost.

Other points, RE firsts, mostly covered by 3 years of warranty:
- twin cylinder engine, internal components
- close loop Fi (in house by RE)
- Fi auxiliary: sensors and fuel pump etc
- slip and assist clutch
- 6 speed transmission

Chassis and mechanical concerns:
- swing arm bushes must be good, heaviest RE
- I'll not doubt brakes n suspension as they are wearables and easy to repair

Electronics are minimal, reducing costs and concerns.

Electricals are basic, only cold starts will remain a concern after long period of no usage.

3 years of warranty means 3 years of company service. As per showrooms once a year @10k kms should be great! Yearly service costs should be 6 to 8k.

What else? Why should one not book one of the 650 twins? Let us know your concerns.

Ride safe,
surjaonwheelz
surjaonwheelz is offline   (4) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks