Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 5th December 2018, 11:09   #841
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kesh4munni View Post
Booking was done on a tablet at the showroom which seems to be an app and is supposed to be "centralised" to enable FIFO deliveries to customers preventing preferential treatment to known customers.

However, I doubt the efficacy of the system. I did not receive a booking ID, just a payment receipt of the advance.
I did my booking on 23rd Nov in Pune showroom, never expected any kind of confirmation nor mail from them on the same day, but i got confirmation email and SMS with booking ID along with special discounts on the latest range of RE gears.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brumby View Post
I booked mine on 14 Nov itself and was the third booking at Soniya Motors, GB road, Thane.

Desperate attempts to get a test ride proved to be futile, considering the fact that Soniya Motors had a test ride campaign on 02 Dec 2018. I wasn't invited.

Sources at different levels at team RE kept giving random information and excuses whenever I contacted them.

Initially the version was that the test rides are available at company stores only. No, it never was available till 02 Dec 2018.

No points in guessing that the numbers of the company stores for Mumbai region, provided on the RE website were not functional. Don't know if that had been corrected yet.

RE and the dealership did attempt to pacify me by giving various excuses on 03 Dec 2018.

For me, no doubt RE has launched very good products, but they seriously lack the attitude and commitment to present a wholesome package to the customers.

Regards.
I have a different opinion here though.... i went to showroom one day just to checkout the bike, the sales guy was friendly and explained all about the bike. he also encouraged me to sit on it and start the engine. I asked him about the test ride but unfortunately they didnt had any spare vehicle for this purpose. He assured by 1st of Dec they will have the vehicle for the same.

To my surprise i got a call from the same sales person on 23rd and told me they have vehicle.

I took the test drive on same and and booked.

Last edited by Aditya : 5th December 2018 at 18:51. Reason: Back to back posts merged
joeblack is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2018, 12:20   #842
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Royal Enfield Interceptor & Continental 650. EDIT: Launched @ Rs 2.50 - 2.65 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
Why not a personal loan for two lakh ? What are the current interest rates?
The only reason why we showed interest in the loan was the of the so-called 6.5% rate of interest, else would have opted for another method.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblack View Post
i got confirmation email and SMS with booking ID along with special discounts on the latest range of RE gears.
What did message say? Some of the others here in Bangalore never got this special discount message!
Captain Slow is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2018, 13:04   #843
BHPian

Re: The Royal Enfield Interceptor & Continental 650. EDIT: Launched @ Rs 2.50 - 2.65 lakhs

I booked my Interceptor on 15/11 at the Adyar company showroom in Chennai, and within a couple of hours I received the congratulations SMS and email with booking ID and avail special discounts message. In the first week after booking I received a call from the showroom and was asked to answer a set of questions: What is the current motorcycle you own? What motorcycle will you buy instead of the Interceptor? What are the three things you like about the Interceptor? How and when did you know about the Interceptor?. In the second week after booking I received a call from the RE Head Office and was asked the same set of questions. In the last week of November I went back to the showroom to change the color from Orange to Silver, the sales advisor said there will not be any change in my waiting list since I did color change before December. The sales advisor had two things to update, one is, the overall delivery date has changed from mid of Jan to beginning of Feb for Standard models, and March for Custom colors, and two is, test rides will begin from December. There is still no news about test rides being offered anywhere in Chennai. I think the test rides have started all over India except TN and KL. Any info on test rides in Chennai?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Slow View Post
What did message say? Some of the others here in Bangalore never got this special discount message!
It is a general offer message, nothing specific "Avail special discounts on the latest range of RE gear. To know more contact us".

Last edited by Torino : 5th December 2018 at 13:06.
Torino is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2018, 13:46   #844
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblack View Post
I did my booking on 23rd Nov in Pune showroom, never expected any kind of confirmation nor mail from them on the same day, but i got confirmation email and SMS with booking ID along with special discounts on the latest range of RE gears.
I booked online on 20th from the RE website, I got an immediate number and subsequently an email from puremotorcycling@royalenfield.com with a PDF file containing the order from. No date was mentioned.

I subsequently called CVS Motors kalyannagar and they told me to expect it in the first or second week of feb.

Now I don't know if the dealer can 're-order' the queue. while I don't mind waiting form my turn in the queue, I hope that does not change the order to please someone.

In the meanwhile I managed to get hold of the english user manual meant for international customers. Here it is while you wait.
[ATTACH=small_Euro-IV-Interceptor-650-English-Version.pdf]1825103[/ATTACH]

The pdf contains electrical diagram of the interceptor from which I could make out that this is the bosch ECU in use. Could not find any more details of it so any of the members here do have more details on it it would be appreciated.

https://www.bosch-mobility-solutions...ormance-bikes/

I found an interview video where the engineering team explained the choices they made.

I also found a collection of images that I could go over bit more.

Here is their crank shaft , I the video they do talk about how they make the crankshaft (by forging it) and how they make the gears (by grinding)
The Royal Enfield Interceptor & Continental 650. EDIT: Launched @ Rs 2.50 - 2.65 lakhs-crankshaftpiston.jpg

The balance shaft which removes the vibration
The Royal Enfield Interceptor & Continental 650. EDIT: Launched @ Rs 2.50 - 2.65 lakhs-enginecasebalancershaft.jpeg

Here is a video which explains how balancer shaft works (in cars) but the concept remains the same

The alternator (the orange and yellow thing) (you see that the rotating part of the alternator was already affixed to the crankshaft )
In the same image you can also see the slipper clutch and the springs. You will notice that its only 3 springs which is what makes engaging the clutch lighter.
The Royal Enfield Interceptor & Continental 650. EDIT: Launched @ Rs 2.50 - 2.65 lakhs-alternator-clutch.jpeg

The Camshaft (the central rod ) The big gear in the middle connects to the crankshaft via a chain (timing chain or timing belt). The Rockers on which when pushed by the camshaft actuate the valves.
The Royal Enfield Interceptor & Continental 650. EDIT: Launched @ Rs 2.50 - 2.65 lakhs-camvalverockers.jpg

Here is another image with balancer shaft and gears, I did not see a better image of the gears , so If any one has please do post.
The Royal Enfield Interceptor & Continental 650. EDIT: Launched @ Rs 2.50 - 2.65 lakhs-balance_shaft_gears.jpeg

I do not have an image of the throttle body, I read that its a manual one which a position sensor form mikuni. From the mikuni website I saw this for a parallel twin (Electronic Control Throttle Body for Large Motorcycles). But this is an electronic control (read: ride by wire) so I'm pretty sure this is not the one.
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/iipcache/161868.jpg
Does anyone know what is in use?

After consideration I came to the conclusion that RE has come out of stone-age (to say the least) and quite modern in many cases (like the choice of ECU for e.g.). I'm waiting to see the spare part prices which will eventually determine maintenance costs.

During the visit to showroom I saw several small things that could be so much better (for e.g. see the below exposed wiring for the O2 sensor)
The Royal Enfield Interceptor & Continental 650. EDIT: Launched @ Rs 2.50 - 2.65 lakhs-exposed-wire.jpg

Funny enough I did not yet get to drive it , I will probably go on Monday, but with the deluge of reviews might have nothing new to tell.

Happy Waiting...
Attached Files
File Type: pdf small_Euro-IV-Interceptor-650-English-Version.pdf (11.89 MB, 4354 views)
krishnaprasad is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 5th December 2018, 14:04   #845
Distinguished - BHPian

When I visited a Royal Enfield showroom here in Cochin last Saturday, I asked the sales advisor about the discount offer on riding apparel and whether any new 650 specific gear was being launched. What he informed me was that, all Royal Enfield customers who purchase any bike get the same offer as what was listed earlier in this thread (higher discount percentage based on a higher amount spent) and can avail this up any time up to 30 days after collecting their motorcycle.
neil.jericho is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 5th December 2018, 14:13   #846
BHPian

Is the handlebar brace on the Interceptor removable? After having spent some time with the bike, this is one key item that took away from the look of the bike for me. I would love to have it removed before I take delivery of the bike. I also didn't like the way the dials/meters looked when I saw them front-on, but the wind-screen should take care of that.
Old 5th December 2018, 18:06   #847
BHPian

Just booked the Interceptor in Ravishing Red today. Dealer said it would most likely arrive by the end of March.

I never thought I'd own a Royal Enfield again, but this thing has me sold so far! Needed something less vibey than my old 390, and a twin with a counterbalancer should hopefully do the trick.
The_Mad_Hatter is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th December 2018, 18:59   #848
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by katoom View Post
Thank you for the kind words and no sweat, happy to chat! I am still a newbie here, so wouldn't be able to reply you - drop a note at sudhirperla@gmail.com
Thanks buddy, will ping you
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandfulOfHell View Post
Is the handlebar brace on the Interceptor removable? After having spent some time with the bike, this is one key item that took away from the look of the bike for me. I would love to have it removed before I take delivery of the bike. I also didn't like the way the dials/meters looked when I saw them front-on, but the wind-screen should take care of that.
Hey, did you drop the plans of going for either of the Triumph, HD or Ducati models?

Last edited by Samurai : 6th December 2018 at 10:18. Reason: B2B
Old 5th December 2018, 21:41   #849
BHPian

Quote:

The brace pad is an accessory. So it won't me on the motorcycle if you don't buy it.
Old 5th December 2018, 21:46   #850
BHPian

Quote:
It appears to be a nut & bolt assembly. But I have a feeling removing it might have a slight effect on the vibe level. Not sure though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by param22k View Post
The brace pad is an accessory. So it won't me on the motorcycle if you don't buy it.
I believe he was referring to the cross bar, not the pad around it which is an accessory.
Old 5th December 2018, 23:22   #851
BHPian

Quote:
It appears to be a nut & bolt assembly. But I have a feeling removing it might have a slight effect on the vibe level. Not sure though.

I believe he was referring to the cross bar, not the pad around it which is an accessory.

If the reference was to the crossbar, then, in all probability it should be easily removable. Yes, crossbar does decrease vibrations, though the effect is more prominent on raised handlebars. I added a crossbar when I raised the handlebars of my TB, which had a positive effect on vibrations.

Last edited by param22k : 5th December 2018 at 23:45.
Old 6th December 2018, 00:06   #852
BHPian

Test rode the interceptor today from Bommasandra Enfield, the bike is beautiful and so much comfort to be driven around. I am taken by the way it drove, but having bought the Himalayan(abs version) a month back makes me think what to do

Any takers for a Himalayan Sleet version
Old 6th December 2018, 00:17   #853
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It appears to be a nut & bolt assembly.
Which looks quite tacky. Would prefer a handlebar option with an integrated brace. That would look cleaner - it should at least be an optional accessory. The beauty of this bike’s pricing is that accessorising it is a no-brainier.

I hope it does decent numbers for third party accessories to become viable. I’ve booked one, and while am still a fence sitter (due to their track record), am happy to add bits to it if the bike itself is trouble-free.
Old 6th December 2018, 02:40   #854
BHPian

Great news guys, I had booked a Continental GT 650 ICE QUEEN colour on 25-11-2018 from company showroom Saket New Delhi. On 5-12-2018 (10 days later) I got a call, that the bike is in transit and will be delivered soon. The showroom guys asked for complete payment. Since the outlet is company run and all payments asked was to Eisher Motors I paid the full amount and now eagerly waiting for the bike to reach. Before payment I enquired to make sure this is actually a new bike and not a demo piece. I also asked them to mail me that the bike is indeed in transit from their company email ID.
They told me that since they had an Ice Queen colour allotted to them and I was the first to book that colour, I will get this bike.
I am a little puzzled because they said that custom colours will be delivered only by April and now suddenly in 10 days I am promised my bike. Is it because RE did not get enough bookings or people are not ready to take delivery at year end.
What ever be the reason I am happy and wish to be the first to start RE 650 twin ownership thread.
mustang 99 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 6th December 2018, 09:27   #855
BHPian

Mod Note: Thread closed. Please continue the discussion on CrAzY dRiVeR's review at this link.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumpmeister View Post
Hey, did you drop the plans of going for either of the Triumph, HD or Ducati models?
I am still undecided!

1. Love the street twin's engine but dont like the lack of presence

2. Love the Harley's presence but dont like the the heat and generally poor city manners

3. Love the Ducati's spunk but not sure about long term cost of maintenance and reliability.

I am therefore contemplating the easy way out, perhaps stick to the Interceptor, decent presence, low sticker price, generally positive reviews and color of choice! What say? Any thoughts?

Last edited by GTO : 6th December 2018 at 12:58. Reason: Link to review
HandfulOfHell is offline   (3) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks