Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 14th November 2018, 23:30   #571
Team-BHP Support

Re: Royal Enfield unveils Interceptor & Continental 650 with new twin-cylinder engine. EDIT : Launch

Zigwheels Review -

Powerdrift Top Speed Run -

CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th November 2018, 23:56   #572
BHPian

Re: Royal Enfield unveils Interceptor & Continental 650 with new twin-cylinder engine. EDIT : Launch

Hello Riders,

RE has opened up a new segment of Accessible Twins

I foresee a slow death for the 500 UCE. People will move up. Refer to the sales figures of June 2018.
The Royal Enfield Interceptor & Continental 650. EDIT: Launched @ Rs 2.50 - 2.65 lakhs-img_20181114_233723.jpg

More riders will migrate to bigger displacement, modern twin. Can't wait to test ride it! Two main aspects of ownership details are nowhere to be found.

1. Service schedule (interval) - can't be 3 months like the UCE!
2. Real world efficiency (mileage) - 25 to 30 kmpl should be acceptable?

This is great for motorcycling in India.

Ride safe,
surjaonwheelz
RE CL350 2014
surjaonwheelz is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th November 2018, 23:58   #573
r.K
BHPian

Any news on the accessories? Especially the exhausts? Man I'm excited! I have a cast iron thumper and though love her with all my heart I've always wanted a proper motorcycle. Given my way, I would sell my house and get a proper tourer and a daytona 675R (that's right AND ) Will test ride these 650's asap.
r.K is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2018, 00:22   #574
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Zigwheels Review
The million dollar question/answer at the end:

"Would I recommend buying one from the first lot?
I would hold back for now!!"

The Himalayan has cost RE dearly, the confidence is just not there.

Really hope this clicks as would love to own one - not now though.

Cheers
Cyborg is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 15th November 2018, 01:00   #575
BHPian

I was talking about the 650 twins to a friend when I received this message on our rider group:

“Boys! Who’s coming over to the RE showroom? The 650 Twins will be arriving there within half an hour!”

What a timing! It was my first time attending a launch event and I was super excited, I immediately hopped on my bike and headed over to the showroom. Even Bangalore’s crazy traffic could not stop me from attending the launch. The launch had been postponed by 15 minutes and that turned out to be a boon for me, as I was stuck in a traffic jam and managed to reach there just in time.

When I reached the showroom, there was a small crowd already present there. The launch event was being live streamed on a big screen set up in one corner of the showroom. The best part was when Sid announced the price as 5.5 lacs. Everyone were disappointed, one person started expressing his disappointment to the Sales Rep standing next to him. She calmed him down saying that Sid’s just joking and even before she could complete her sentence, the original prices were announced and everyone broke into smiles! There were people high fiving each other, others were talking about the future of Harleys and Triumphs in India.

Soon the covered bikes were rolled into the showroom by the staff. As the staff rolled them past us to the mini stage, the guy next to me whispered,” Look at the length of that bike! It looks similar to the one in Golmaal movie!" Though I had no idea what bike that guy was talking about, I just smiled and nodded, but later when I googled it, it had me in splits (I guess he meant this bike?)

The bikes were then draped in a black satin cloth and were unveiled by the some senior people of that showroom and then, the hell broke loose! Everyone were already armed with his or her cameras and swarmed towards the bikes to get a good picture with it.Then people started hopping on the bikes one by one and started revving them mercilessly with the excuse of hearing the exhaust note. It was really heart wrenching to see these brand new bikes being treated like that.
The Royal Enfield Interceptor & Continental 650. EDIT: Launched @ Rs 2.50 - 2.65 lakhs-both.jpeg
The 650 Twins

The Royal Enfield Interceptor & Continental 650. EDIT: Launched @ Rs 2.50 - 2.65 lakhs-conti-gt.jpeg

The Royal Enfield Interceptor & Continental 650. EDIT: Launched @ Rs 2.50 - 2.65 lakhs-interceptor.jpeg
Finally, I got a chance to sit on the bikes, and here’s what I could observe during the few minutes I had with them:

-The Interceptor has a comfortable riding position while the Continental 650 has a sportier one. I liked the Interceptor’s riding position better.

-The switch gear is similar to the ones in the Classic 500.

-The indicators are similar to the one’s in a Hero Splendour.

-The Interceptor has sweet exhaust note while the Continental 650’s exhaust note has a more muted one.

-The horns are loud, but not extremely loud as the one’s in the Classic 350's & 500's (Yes, one person honked all the way to glory inside the showroom)

-Overall, the finish is good, but there are some areas where the finish is crude.
For example, the finish of the handlebars in the Continental 650.( I guess they are made of cast iron and it is difficult to bring a nice finish on them.)
The Royal Enfield Interceptor & Continental 650. EDIT: Launched @ Rs 2.50 - 2.65 lakhs-handlebar.jpeg

- During the revving mania, I noticed smoke coming out of one of the joints in the exhaust pipe. The smoke did stop coming out some after time. The staff said that it MAY be either leftover water after washing or leftover polish.(Really? or is it a poor weld? )
The Royal Enfield Interceptor & Continental 650. EDIT: Launched @ Rs 2.50 - 2.65 lakhs-engine.jpeg
Also notice how much the engine protrudes out from the body

-For those buying these bikes, it would be a good idea to wait for a few months till RE irons out any niggles that are present.

-The staff mentioned that the test rides will start only by the end of the month and deliveries will begin sometime in January.

Other points:
-Notice the colour combination in these helmets? Some are similar to the colours of the 650 Twins. I had spotted them in the showroom a few months back too. So were these subtle hints about the 650 Twins’colour combo?
The Royal Enfield Interceptor & Continental 650. EDIT: Launched @ Rs 2.50 - 2.65 lakhs-helmets.jpeg

-Within half an hour of the launch, a person came to the showroom on a bicycle. He then checked out both the bikes, booked the Interceptor and left.

Regards,
LoneTraveller

Last edited by LoneTraveller : 15th November 2018 at 01:05.
LoneTraveller is offline   (29) Thanks
Old 15th November 2018, 07:09   #576
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneTraveller View Post

- During the revving mania, I noticed smoke coming out of one of the joints in the exhaust pipe. The smoke did stop coming out some after time. The staff said that it MAY be either leftover water after washing or leftover polish.(Really? or is it a poor weld? )
[
That's were the catalytic convertor will be located and that's the part which will be the hottest on the pipe. Like he said , it will be the polish burning off.

Even if it is a leak, it won't be visible.
tharian is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th November 2018, 07:49   #577
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg View Post
The million dollar question/answer at the end:

"Would I recommend buying one from the first lot?
I would hold back for now!!"

The Himalayan has cost RE dearly, the confidence is just not there.

Really hope this clicks as would love to own one - not now though.

Cheers
I completely understand where you're coming from, that hesitation is natural . I own the first gen, first lot H, however i wouldn't hold back to buy the Interceptor or for that matter GT on that premise for following reasons

H costed me 1.7 ex back then and does 2L ish now.. even if you exclude a few grands for the additional equipment, it is still has a good 10% price escalation in 2 years. In the same duration while the prices were inching up, i was having fun in Leh and Tawang and thanks to all the media perception, i practically didn't have any maintenance costs (literally) for these 2 years. I used most of that money pampering my H with worthy performance upgrades

Yes i did have a few hiccups but not any more than people on D400 or anyone buying a motorcycle from the same category does.

Incidentally, i also own an Ecosport from the first gen, first lot. I acquired it at a mouth watering price of Rs 5.59L ex. Getting on early has it's benefits

Coming back to the Interceptor, saw it in the flesh yesterday, purely comparing the equipment, fit and finish and additional horses to that of H - There's a whole lot of motorcycle one is getting for just 80 grand extra ( ref H @ 1.7 Ex).

RE has done a great job at ensuring that the motorcycle meets aspirations of most, in some sense they are cannibalizing classics to create room for the twins. RE had to do it anyway because classics are hitting the fag end of product maturity curve. With Java, Triumph targeting that 250-500 retro segment they had just this one chance to change the game and it's impressive how they grabbed it

So I am truely impressed with the product and strategy but would i buy it? Sadly No, it's because H has spoilt me. It introduced me to the Joy of riding off roads, now a motorcycle that cannot provide that Joy would feel incomplete. I would wait for the H2.

Last edited by Rajiv0909 : 15th November 2018 at 07:58.
Rajiv0909 is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 15th November 2018, 08:21   #578
BHPian

Re: The Royal Enfield Interceptor & Continental 650. EDIT: Launched @ Rs 2.50 - 2.65 lakhs

*First impressions RE650*
The bike has a heavy engine, slow to spool up, meaning, but a little free revving like a Sportster... unlike a old school RE which feels like murder to rev up on the main stand.
The bike easy was pushed till 5000 by many guys who wanted to see the vibes on the handlebar and in mirrors, but the counter balancer apparently works nice.
The starter is very silent and start is instant
Solid suspension.
From the press reports coming from Goa, is a top end of 170-175
HP is low but compensated by the running to get the torque up and running immediate, which is why the engine sems very-- Tight? Heavy?
So first impression is that the engine has the heft of a Harley engine. The tightness (heaviness) of the Harley and the counter balancer helps it into a easy running bike. Some guys gunned it to 5000 rpm and the mirrors showed zero vibrations. .
I have booked the bike and I feel tomorrow Jawa is jacked beyond relief unless they come in at 1.65 or some such number and stop selling it like they were selling my father's bike. Nostalgia is literally a waste beyond 250 bike sales, and I fear that the superb Mojo engine will again get disposed into the dust bin.
So the response overseas is as follows
Entire trip months production, Nov and Dec, is going overseas.
1200 dealerships. Will soak up the first 2400 bikes that will be Jan for all dealers to be able to offer rides.
Then in Jan end the deliveries will start to the common man.
KTM is in a soup
Benelli is in the same soup
Jawa is getting added to the soup
Anyone in the 2L+ category is in the soup.
I have booked one and the amazing thing is that it's small enough to be a city bike and the power and speed to run on the highway.
They should get over a 1000 bookings by tonight, and that's with only 120 bikes in showrooms.
The 40000km 3 years warranty is amazing.
3 year RSA included.
2.99 on road anywhere is the base price.

*In continuation*
I believe is 47bHP and torque is either 52Nm.
Given that a top flight VStrom 650 is at 62, this is at 83% of that, and should be adequate for reliability and possibly tuned for poor quality of fuel and just a more robust engine- I am happy with it.
Second the torque spread is from way down, probably as low as 2000... And 80% of that torque, as they say, if it comes online by 3000, then I see a comfortable highway cruise at 80kmph with more than adequate torque bandwidth from 3000 to 5500 to pull from 80 to the reported 170+
Someone asked about brakes... The Bybre brakes see the poor cousins of Brembos and should be as good as a bike in this category needs.
The difference for upgraders is the Pirellis, and the soft rubber- so you will get better braking and combined with the heavy torque, the experience will surely be better than the current family if Bullets.
I would describe it as 'strong braking,' I don't know, meaning from 3rd to second and some hand and foot brake- you show be able to slow down the bike and keep it in control.
Test rides will be starting at RM and will do a longer one once I return.
All this was not a part of yesterday's revert as this is speculative with experience... And written in good faith.

The only word of caution- If you are 5'9" or taller, you would need a 30 min ride to figure if you fit on the bike comfortably, due to the footpeg position
Hammer & Anvil is offline   (29) Thanks
Old 15th November 2018, 09:17   #579
BHPian

Re: The Royal Enfield Interceptor & Continental 650. EDIT: Launched @ Rs 2.50 - 2.65 lakhs

This is killer pricing, I mean, they had literally killed the Bajaj-Triumph partnership even before take-off and many other bikes/brands. When we thought Kawasaki pulled the rug under the feet of BMW by launching Ninja 300, RE has pulled the rug under Kawasaki and a whole lot of other's feet by launching 650 twins at such an enticing pricing.

Mahindra will be left scratching their heads in today's Jawa 300 unveil and Bajaj may have to reconsider whatever pricing they might have thought for Husqvarna twins launch.

Even the cheaper Dominar, KTM 390 twins, Duke 250, CBR 250R and Apache 310 RR are likely to be impacted. The only bikes which may not be impacted are those entry level bikes like Splendors and entry level 150cc bikes like Pulsars/Apaches and obviously the ubiquitous Activas and the likes.

Last edited by jpcoolguy : 15th November 2018 at 09:21.
jpcoolguy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2018, 09:37   #580
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilesh5417 View Post
All in all, I never thought I would want an RE again or get myself into the showroom again for a product launch by them. They proved me wrong and I walked out truly excited, impressed. Am sure there are tons of erstwhile RE owners who would feel that way. And that's without even bringing the price into the equation.
Absolutely the same for me as well!
At these price points, Triumph, Kawasaki, BMW, Harley etc etc should just give up the less than 10lakh bikes.

BTW were you in the Baner dealership? Did they mention when test rides would commence?
Old 15th November 2018, 09:53   #581
BHPian

Two questions internet has no answer for. Does anyone know?

1. What is the booking amount? Is it refundable?
2. list of those 120 dealerships where one can see the bike

Waiting eagerly for response
vikramvicky1984 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2018, 10:09   #582
BHPian

[quote=CrAzY dRiVeR;4495355]Zigwheels Review -

That moment at 3:35 when he places a tea cup on the fuel tank and revs the engine, I was thrown back looking that cup not even shaking even at those revs. This is truly commendable for an RE. I hope they have learnt a good lesson from Himalayan launch and this is quite a good bike to begin with.
VishJ is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th November 2018, 10:14   #583
BHPian

Being hit by mid life crisis, one of the things that I was thinking since long time is that I should retire from biking. With that I decided to part ways with my DesertStorm few days back and to be specific, it is just 16 days since I sold my bike. However terrific pricing by RE has just reignited the lust of riding again. With this pricing it is more apt to say this is common man's Bonnie and not to forget, this is a perfect upgrade for existing RE owners, and that killer price has just made the deal more sweet.

However I am one of those who just wait for 1 or 2 years before buying any new product in the market, and more so I just hope RE not to repeat the same mistake which they did with Himalayan. And once bitten I would wait for things to settle down and RE to fix all niggles and issues reported in the initial batch, before I put my hard earned money again on RE.

Last edited by Jaggu : 15th November 2018 at 14:53. Reason: Edited post for grammar and for better readability. Thanks.
DragonHawk is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th November 2018, 10:32   #584
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VishJ View Post
That moment at 3:35 when he places a tea cup on the fuel tank and revs the engine, I was thrown back looking that cup not even shaking even at those revs.

But wouldn't lack of "vibration" and what seems this new found modern finesse mean that the 650 twins would have no "character"?

Just saying coz RE fans talk a lot about this "Character" and "Personality".
payeng is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2018, 10:41   #585
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by payeng View Post
But wouldn't lack of "vibration" and what seems this new found modern finesse mean that the 650 twins would have no "character"?

Just saying coz RE fans talk a lot about this "Character" and "Personality".
Ha Ha Ha...i like your line of thought/arguement.

Would it mean that if a bike vibrates it will have lot of character?
Even a non vibrating RE can it be its character & personality.

Simple
ku69rd is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks