Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 15th November 2018, 10:42   #586
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Royal Enfield Interceptor & Continental 650. EDIT: Launched @ Rs 2.50 - 2.65 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpcoolguy View Post
Even the cheaper Dominar, KTM 390 twins, Duke 250, CBR 250R and Apache 310 RR are likely to be impacted. .
I don't really believe a prospective KTM 390 buyer would even consider the 650 twin. Considering how terrible RE's Himalayan fared with reliability, it is a gamble buying the 650 twin in the first few batches.

Though the 650 twins match the 390s on paper(torque is much higher though), the characters of the motorcycles are as different as chalk and cheese.

I really hope continental GT 650 to handle decently, if that is the case and if they prove to be niggle free, then there is a tough time for 390 twins. Until then, I won't be interested in a 200 kg Royal Enfield producing almost same horses as the KTM 390 and priced 30-50k higher.

But think about it, if they prove niggle free, it is going to be a nail in the coffin of R3 and Ninja 400.

And regarding dominar, it is quite an embarassing situation now, after airing all those foolish ads

Oh wait, I forgot Jawa, they called RE 650 twins toys in an advertisement. Now it is going to be Dead on Arrival. Poor Jawa!
The Royal Enfield Interceptor & Continental 650. EDIT: Launched @ Rs 2.50 - 2.65 lakhs-img20181115wa0006.jpg

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 15th November 2018 at 10:55.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 15th November 2018, 11:00   #587
BHPian

Re: Royal Enfield unveils Interceptor & Continental 650 with new twin-cylinder engine. EDIT : Launch

Quote:
Originally Posted by payeng View Post
But wouldn't lack of "vibration" and what seems this new found modern finesse mean that the 650 twins would have no "character"?
I guess they've been making it clear since the launch last year that these motorcycles are not Bullets anymore. In Sid Lal's passionate video which is on RE website for quite sometime, he says something like - "exhaust note of this motorcycle is not a thump but it's more of a rumble". There goes the first major change in "character" a lot RE fans look for in a bullet. And then no vibrations due to the presence of counter balancer. Same spec motorcycle for the whole world. And so many changes.

With the launch of twins, what RE has tried to create is 2 new motorcycles with their own character. I don't see any reason why they need to emulate the same character in their new releases. I guess I'm going to enjoy riding the INT650 as much as I enjoy riding my C350 because my expectations from these two motorcycles are completely different. While C350 has me spellbound for last 3 years, I'm waiting to know if INT650 can do it all over again with it's different character.
Old 15th November 2018, 11:11   #588
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Royal Enfield Interceptor & Continental 650. EDIT: Launched @ Rs 2.50 - 2.65 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
Oh wait, I forgot Jawa, they called RE 650 twins toys in an advertisement. Now it is going to be Dead on Arrival. Poor Jawa!
Come on JAWA/Mahindra, this was unnecessary. There is no need to be bitter and ugly. Hope RE maintain its dignity. The way they maintained it during Dominor adds.
SJM1214 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2018, 11:13   #589
Distinguished - BHPian

For heavens sake that stupid image was not released by Mahindra at all. Just some fan boy activism at work.
Red Liner is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 15th November 2018, 11:41   #590
Senior - BHPian

Re: Royal Enfield unveils Interceptor & Continental 650 with new twin-cylinder engine. EDIT : Launch

Some more observations:
1. The launch event was attended by at least 10 women riders. So it shows some interest in this riding community as well.
2. The interceptor has a center stand, the GT doesn't. I would have liked it on the GT as well as a standard fitment.
3. The headlamps are a big mismatch - understand the cost part but at least clear lens?
4. The engine won't start if the stand is down - i never imagined i would see this on a RE in this lifetime.
5. See the attached image - the tiny little black thingy (purely based umpteen discussions only) seems to be some invention to keep your legs from touching the engine. Not sure how effective it is but i have never seen something like this.
6. The GT seems to come with an engine guard, the Interceptor with a crash guard. Trying to get this confirmed as the showroom bikes did have these but not sure if its a standard.
7. Gearbox seems to be nice and much slicker than the Bullet era. But thats theoretical until an actual test ride proves that it is possible to find a neutral and you dont get lost in the vacuum between two gears.

But general consensus even amongst fanboys was "Wow i want one but am going to wait for 6 months to be sure". Though i know 3 brave hearts who have already booked the Interceptor. They spent considerable time drooling over the GT but ultimately they thought the Interceptor was more practical / everyday bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by timuseravan View Post
Absolutely the same for me as well!
At these price points, Triumph, Kawasaki, BMW, Harley etc etc should just give up the less than 10lakh bikes.

BTW were you in the Baner dealership? Did they mention when test rides would commence?
Hi - yes, at Brahma motors. Were you there as well? Waiting for the clear confirmation on test rides and service intervals/costs.
Attached Thumbnails
The Royal Enfield Interceptor & Continental 650. EDIT: Launched @ Rs 2.50 - 2.65 lakhs-engine.jpeg  

Nilesh5417 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 15th November 2018, 12:02   #591
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilesh5417 View Post
Waiting for the clear confirmation on test rides and service intervals/costs.
The twins run on fully Synthetic oil which means a replacement window of 10000 kms or one year. Does take it 3.3-3.4 liters of oil at each replacement. Complete Capacity is 3.9 liters.

So guess estimating the costs to be around 5 to 7K for alternate services.
ku69rd is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th November 2018, 12:10   #592
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikramvicky1984 View Post
Two questions internet has no answer for. Does anyone know?

1. What is the booking amount? Is it refundable?
2. list of those 120 dealerships where one can see the bike

Waiting eagerly for response
Based on Bangalore's details: The booking amount is 5000 by cash/card and is refundable. Upon request for cancellation, in a month time they'll refund full amount.

Don't have list but check with Brand store in your city.

Thanks.
pradipk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th November 2018, 12:47   #593
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
The twins run on fully Synthetic oil which means a replacement window of 10000 kms or one year. Does take it 3.3-3.4 liters of oil at each replacement. Complete Capacity is 3.9 liters.

So guess estimating the costs to be around 5 to 7K for alternate services.
Oil alone will be in the range of 3k and even if we expect disk pads to come for around 15k kms, a replacement will be expensive. GT535 front disk pad was 2100 rupees. But given that servicing will be done for 10k kms once, a 7k bracket is still decent.
Old 15th November 2018, 12:50   #594
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikramvicky1984 View Post
Two questions internet has no answer for. Does anyone know?

1. What is the booking amount? Is it refundable?
2. list of those 120 dealerships where one can see the bike

Waiting eagerly for response
Rs 5,000 is what was quoted at the price launch in the dealership here in Cochin. Just dial your nearest dealership and Im sure they will guide you to the one where you can see the bikes in person.
Old 15th November 2018, 12:52   #595
BHPian

So yes I have been silently following this thread from day one and the Interceptor itch only grew more with the price announcement. I dropped into the RE brand showroom in Adyar Chennai today. They have a White GT and Orange Interceptor on display. There are no other bikes on stock and no test ride bikes as well. You are allowed to sit on the bikes and start and listen to the exhaust rumble which is sweet. Both the motorcycles look gorgeous in flesh. Compared to the previous RE's the amount of dangling wires near the headlight assembly are far less and insulated properly. The seating position on the GT is less aggressive than the GT 535 and felt a bit heavier than the Interceptor when getting off the side stand, may be this is felt because of the seating position compared to the Interceptor. As some online reviews pointed out the foot pegs are placed a bit wide due to the bigger engine and this needs some getting used to when you keep your feet on the ground. So far they got 15 bookings, majority for Interceptor and Rs 5000 for booking and zero cancellation charges. Deliveries are set to start from 15 Jan 2019. Test rides will begin from end of this month or early next month.

The Royal Enfield Interceptor & Continental 650. EDIT: Launched @ Rs 2.50 - 2.65 lakhs-img_5893.jpg

The Royal Enfield Interceptor & Continental 650. EDIT: Launched @ Rs 2.50 - 2.65 lakhs-img_5894.jpg

Loved the logo. Felt chunky and well finished.
The Royal Enfield Interceptor & Continental 650. EDIT: Launched @ Rs 2.50 - 2.65 lakhs-img_5896.jpg

This price list is not accurate. There is a increase in few hundreds in actual ex-showroom price.
The Royal Enfield Interceptor & Continental 650. EDIT: Launched @ Rs 2.50 - 2.65 lakhs-img_5898.jpg
Torino is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 15th November 2018, 12:53   #596
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pradipk View Post
5000 by cash/card
When you said card - I am wondering - if dealers would accept the entire payment on card ? Many people in the target market will have a card with a far higher limit.

Quite a few banks offer EMI at competitive rates on large ticket card spends with flexibility to pre-pay. Wondering if anyone is thinking on these lines.
Old 15th November 2018, 12:55   #597
BHPian

Quote:
6. The GT seems to come with an engine guard, the Interceptor with a crash guard. Trying to get this confirmed as the showroom bikes did have these but not sure if its a standard.
I think both of these are RE official accessories. I remember seeing these in a video that was shared on one of the previous pages.
Old 15th November 2018, 12:58   #598
Senior - BHPian

Complete details and FAQs of RE Twins.

RE Twins.pdf
SJM1214 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 15th November 2018, 12:59   #599
BHPian

I was dreaming about interceptor since yesterday. I almost planned to rob a bank to book one. Today, on my way to gym, I saw one new RE Classic being attended by a mechanic. It was new because It looked new and it was one of the new colors. Now, I am not sure if I should still go ahead and rob the bank. I still am drooling but not sure.
Old 15th November 2018, 13:02   #600
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Both the motorcycles come without any guards from the factory - except the famous India special saree guard that Sid emphasized in a rather jovial manner last evening.

You can choose between the two options - the large crash guard or a small and discreet engine protection guard. Additionally, IIRC, they can be had in either flat black finish or chrome finish too.
aravind.anand is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks