Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 23rd November 2018, 22:02   #751
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Royal Enfield Interceptor & Continental 650. EDIT: Launched @ Rs 2.50 - 2.65 lakhs

^^^
A (very) contrary view from me.
I have both the RE Thunderbird, and the CBR250R. If spending many hours (>5 say at a stretch) on the saddle, I find the CBR more comfortable. Like next day, I don't remember the previous day.

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2018, 22:37   #752
Team-BHP Support

Re: The Royal Enfield Interceptor & Continental 650. EDIT: Launched @ Rs 2.50 - 2.65 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
I have both the RE Thunderbird, and the CBR250R. If spending many hours (>5 say at a stretch) on the saddle, I find the CBR more comfortable.
Probably due to the refinement rather than the seating position?
Old 23rd November 2018, 22:48   #753
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
^^^
A (very) contrary view from me.
I have both the RE Thunderbird, and the CBR250R. If spending many hours (>5 say at a stretch) on the saddle, I find the CBR more comfortable. Like next day, I don't remember the previous day.

Regards
Sutripta
No, I share the same view actually, the CBR is supremely comfortable. I have done a week long trip in 2016 with the CBR, covering 300-400 km a day continuously for 7 days and never once did the bike make me feel uncomfortable. I am expecting the Interceptor to be even more comfortable, but since I have not ridden upright seating bikes much, I don't really know how that position would even feel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
The engine for sure, but even the seating position is extre-e-e-mely comfortable, that I cannot explain in words. Let me try - the way you can hug the tank with your thighs, naturally puts your feet in line with the pegs and then when you stiffen your back and slightly bend your elbows, you just tuck behind that screen a bit and that creates a fabulous connect with the bike. You feel as one, not as if you are on top of a machine.
aravind.anand is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 24th November 2018, 05:42   #754
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind.anand View Post
. Let me try - the way you can hug the tank with your thighs, naturally puts your feet in line with the pegs and then when you stiffen your back and slightly bend your elbows, you just tuck behind that screen a bit and that creates a fabulous connect with the bike. You feel as one, not as if you are on top of a machine.
Absolutely nailed it!

That's the beauty of low clip ons and rear set pegs.

Coming to CBR, CGT vs Interceptor debate, it is more of a personal decision when it comes to comfort.

For some people upright bikes are comfortable. For some they are not. For an example, in my case, upright position is ok for small distances. While on long journeys it causes lower back pain.
I didn't like the posture on my Duke 390 while I loved it on CBR, R3 and RC390. Sportier positions let the force away from the lower back. A few people experience shoulder, elbow and wrist pain on rc 390 but I haven't even felt it once.

It's upto the test ride to decide which suits one better. But if you are used to CBR, I feel Continental GT is the better bet .

I also ride a Standard 350 and absolutely loathe that front set peg + high handlebar combination!
PrasannaDhana is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th November 2018, 09:27   #755
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikramvicky1984 View Post
The darcha (made with Rev'it) cannot be found any longer.
I believe all 650 buyers are being sent discount offers on riding gear (I got one on email, coupon code will come on delivery). 25% is a lot of discount and if the gear is good, we may not look elsewhere
The darcha may be discontinued but they have launched the excellent Khadrung La which is 95% the same as the darcha. I have purchased the Khardung La a few months ago and used it for around 1500 kms of riding. Its an excellent jacket, I have been meaning to put up a review on the riding gear thread. Ill try to do so next week. Prices have dropped from Rs 16,000 to Rs 14,000 now before the discounts that you referred to.
neil.jericho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2018, 12:30   #756
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abeerbagul View Post
Is the Triumph Street Twin already feeling the heat of the RE 650 twins launch?
Accessories worth 170000 also free with this.

Attachment 1821194
Guys, need your advice. I have a proposition to buy a well maintained, Apr'18, 1500 kms run Street Twin for 6.5L. I love the Street Twin for its butter smooth ride and a good electronics package but I think it lacks the presence that I expect out of a bike for the money you put in. Also, I've heard about the rear shocks bottoming out, expensive service costs and generally decent amount of maintenance. Plus a new 2019 model with some improvements is on its way to India in about 4-5 months which addresses some of its existing issues. https://www.autocarindia.com/bike-re...st-ride-410551

On the other hand, I have also booked the Interceptor 650 on the day of its launch. I am very happy with the reviews of the bike though I haven't TDed it yet. TDs start in a week or two here. I also like the way the bike looks and despite my 5"6" frame is am able to (almost) flatfoot it. This was one of the key reasons that I liked the ST - very comfortable for my stature. Finally at about 3odd Lakhs OTR, I can customize it and dont have to worry much about maintenance since its likely to be cheaper than the ST.

The ST, however, wont be available for long and so I need to decide now.

What do you guys think? Love to hear your views. Thanks much.
Old 24th November 2018, 20:28   #757
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
No. As others have explained.

Nothing like the RE to feel like God. (Sorry Bajaj). But overdo it, and karma teaches you not to impersonate your betters by giving you a royal pain in the backside the next day.

Arvind, I suggest you beg, borrow, or hire a Bullet for a couple of days, go on a long ride, and then decide. On a short ride, the upright posture comes across as supremely comfortable. But different stroke for different folks. You might like it.

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th November 2018, 20:45   #758
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandfulOfHell View Post

The ST, however, wont be available for long and so I need to decide now.

What do you guys think? Love to hear your views. Thanks much.

The street twin will be a different animal altogether but of course 6.5 and 3 lakhs are very different nos. If you can afford it the ST is a no brainier in terms of sheer bike for bike.

Just one thing i would add is like many big bikes you will deal with a bit of heating issues with the ST. I suppose the RE may not have that but I dont really know either way.
Old 25th November 2018, 01:14   #759
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandfulOfHell View Post
TDs start in a week or two here. I also like the way the bike looks and despite my 5"6" frame is am able to (almost) flatfoot it. What do you guys think? Love to hear your views. Thanks much.
The Interceptor 650 is available for a test ride at the Worli showroom in Mumbai, diagonally opposite Glaxo. I took a TD today. The GT will be available for TD after a couple of weeks. Call them on 24977777.

My observations:

Bike is solidly put together, feels good, chrome appears deep and long lasting. The indicators feel out of place and cheap. Everything else deserves a big thumbs up.

Comfortable seating position, bringing the handlebars a bit closer may make it better. The footpegs do stick out, but nothing to be concerned about.

Extremely comfortable/pliant suspension, set on position 1. Handles the bumps superbly.

Did not feel the weight at all when the bike is in motion. Very nimble and flickable. The bike actually does not feel like it weighs 200 kgs.

Smooth, creamy power delivery, actually little to no vibrations even while reving it to the red line in lower gears. Can putter around in second or third at low speeds without the engine protesting.

The bike was running very hot, but could be because it had only 193 kms on the odo and everyone must be thrashing it about. When I reached there around 1430 there were two guys before me and when I took over there were three more waiting their turn.

At around 3 lacs OTR worth every penny! Pray no issues crop up.

Cheers

Last edited by Cyborg : 25th November 2018 at 01:37.
Cyborg is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th November 2018, 09:45   #760
BHPian

@Mods
Why this thread is not in superbikes section.
Last I remember reading somewhere that the bikes with displacement >= 650CC only are eligible for Superbikes thread.

If Ninja650, Versys650 etc can be in Superbikes thread, why not Interceptor 650 and GT 650 ?
Hope it’s not the manufacturer thingy - Indian or a foreign ? Especially when it’s a RE.

PS- Before I get bashed by RE haters, let me inform that I am not for or against any brand- just looking for consistency in the forum!
daretodream is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th November 2018, 13:18   #761
BHPian

Just back from my TD of the Continental though had gone there for the TD of Interceptor. My initial feedback-
The bike posture was like the Hero Honda Sleek that I used to drive in college. My entire weight was on my hands which made my palms red. Looking forward to the Interceptor about which everyone is giving very good reviews. The engine is lovely, the silencer sound is like music, braking spot on, clutch feel light just like it should be. Will wait for the Interceptor TD and Share feedback.
Old 25th November 2018, 13:33   #762
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by daretodream View Post
Why this thread is not in superbikes section.
Debatable what defines a superbike - because technically Duke 390 is eligible if the RE is added, as it trumps the Interceptor in performance. The Kawasaki parallel twins are 650 by cc, but makes about 40% more power - and are also CKD imports.

But then, a Harley Street 750 is made in India and makes similar figures! I think moderators will have to take a call on this one.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2018, 15:04   #763
Senior - BHPian

Well, I headed out to the Royal Enfield showroom last evening - to celebrate a decade of riding. Coincidentally it was exactly on this day, 10 years ago that I took delivery of my first geared bike, the Apache RTR 160.

I told the guy at dealership that I had already booked the bike off in Coimbatore, and was there just to get a feel of the Interceptor as I hadn't been able to see it while booking. The gentleman was very welcoming, and he was a seasoned rider too and so we ended up discussing bikes and rides for quite sometime. Then we went over to the motorcycles and he started them up for me to experience the exhaust note. Have to admit that none of the videos I have seen to date did justice to how these motorcycles sound - the idle is deep and bass-rich, and one immediately gets the feeling that there is something special, and serious on that frame.

Few points I noticed -

- The exhaust note was very nice, but revving at idle I wouldn't call them 'completely free of vibration' like most reviews had claimed. There is a mild tinge on the handle bar, but that is a smaller tinge than what the Honda CBR250R has - so I wouldn't complain.

- There is a heft when getting the bike upright from the side stand, and that makes the twins feel solid, and imagining myself backing it out of a parking space, while taking care to not knock other bikes with the dual exhaust pipes was intimidating.

- I noticed how the flap on the fuel cap was nicely damped, and gave a nice feel while flipping it open, on closing it out - almost like a well designed cigarette lighter (I like that feel of opening and closing those things )

- Forgot to note how heavy/light the clutch lever felt. But I assume it must have felt very natural, as it hadn't made me take notice - unlike the clutch lever on the Benelli TNT300 - I ran away from that showroom because of that clutch lever.

And since the internet is already flooded with photos of the twins, I don't want to add my pics of all the individual components I took photos of. But these two images look quite good I suppose...

The Royal Enfield Interceptor & Continental 650. EDIT: Launched @ Rs 2.50 - 2.65 lakhs-cgt650.jpg

Nice touches of California - notice the seagulls hanging from the roof, the life raft ring which upholds the name of the motorcycle and there were some 60's music records beside these twins - really nice touch these.

The Royal Enfield Interceptor & Continental 650. EDIT: Launched @ Rs 2.50 - 2.65 lakhs-int_showroom-visit.jpg

Last edited by aravind.anand : 25th November 2018 at 15:07.
aravind.anand is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 25th November 2018, 23:16   #764
BHPian

Got a chance to ride the Interceptor today! I was amazed by the refinement that RE has managed to achieve. I was looking forward to test-ride the Continental GT 650, but sadly due to some delay in getting the insurance papers for the test ride bike, they were only giving the test rides for the interceptor.

Here is what I felt:

Changes I noticed from the GT 535
  • Battery location changed from left to the right.
  • GT clip-on are new. And from the way it looked, I feel that the riding posture might be a bit more relaxed than the old GT.
    The Royal Enfield Interceptor & Continental 650. EDIT: Launched @ Rs 2.50 - 2.65 lakhs-clipons.jpg
  • It looks like they have put a cover/casing near the TPS sensor. On the old GT, the TPS sensor is accessible easily.
    The Royal Enfield Interceptor & Continental 650. EDIT: Launched @ Rs 2.50 - 2.65 lakhs-tps.jpg
  • The foot pegs now have a rubber beading above it. I guess this will also be reducing the vibes that creeps up through the heels.
    The Royal Enfield Interceptor & Continental 650. EDIT: Launched @ Rs 2.50 - 2.65 lakhs-rubber-footpegs.jpg
  • For me, the blackened wheels add a lot more character to the bike. Talked to the folks at the event, and they mentioned that the blackened wheels come as a part of the custom model and not with the regular CGT.
    The Royal Enfield Interceptor & Continental 650. EDIT: Launched @ Rs 2.50 - 2.65 lakhs-blacked-wheels.jpg
  • They have also changed the pad to rest the heels. The new one has a finely machined aluminum plate.
    The Royal Enfield Interceptor & Continental 650. EDIT: Launched @ Rs 2.50 - 2.65 lakhs-new-heel-pad.jpg

• Exhaust note while idling and at slow speeds. The rumble is amazing and you can feel that you are riding a twin
  • Paint Quality – I was drooling at the white CGT they had on the display. They had the silver interceptor as well.
    The Royal Enfield Interceptor & Continental 650. EDIT: Launched @ Rs 2.50 - 2.65 lakhs-paint-quality.jpg
  • Riding posture – On the interceptor, I wouldn’t call it an upright posture. You have to lean a bit to grab the handle. But nonetheless, pretty good and commanding posture to ride.
  • Refinement – first thing I checked after firing the engine was to see the vibes. I was comparing it to the GT 535 I have and was so amazed at the level of refinement they have managed. I was so happy to use the RVM for its intended purpose on an RE while on the move.
  • Torque – Now, I haven’t ridden a lot of big bikes to comment on this. But I realized the amount of torque the Twins had when I was riding back on my GT 535. On a normal day, I find my GT pretty quick to reach triple digits, but after the test ride, I just realized that what I was thinking as quick is not as quick as it can be. Again, I’m not talking about the big ticket bikes.
  • Looks – Both the CGT and the interceptor looks smashing. The interceptor can certainly give Triumph a hard time as it looks almost similar to a layman.
  • Neat looking engine/crash guard. The fit and finish were top notch with RE branding on it.
    The Royal Enfield Interceptor & Continental 650. EDIT: Launched @ Rs 2.50 - 2.65 lakhs-crash-guard.jpg

Dislikes:
  • On the interceptor, the footpegs were coming between your legs and the bike when you try to put your foot on the ground. May be, I’m used to the GT style footpeg position but this is that I felt.
  • Rust – On the display CGT, I could see rust already on the joints near the silencer and the engine head.
    The Royal Enfield Interceptor & Continental 650. EDIT: Launched @ Rs 2.50 - 2.65 lakhs-rust.jpg
  • Too wide at the rear – The twin exhausts as placed a little too wide towards the end for my liking. Had it been a bit closer to the bike, it would have given a lean look.
    The Royal Enfield Interceptor & Continental 650. EDIT: Launched @ Rs 2.50 - 2.65 lakhs-rear.jpg

After riding the Interceptor, I can't wait to take the new CGT for a spin too. I have already booked an appointment with them for the next weekend. Hopefully, they should be able to get the paperwork sorted by then.

Ride safe,
R-Six
R-Six is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 25th November 2018, 23:50   #765
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimbrahw View Post
Just back from my TD of the Continental though had gone there for the TD of Interceptor. My initial feedback-
The bike posture was like the Hero Honda Sleek that I used to drive in college. My entire weight was on my hands which made my palms red.
Riding with the weight on your palms and wrists is not the optimal approach to riding a sporty motorcycle. The trick is to not have your arms stiff and straight (watch any new R15 rider and you will easily see what I mean) and instead keep it loose. When you brake, use your legs to grab the tank and use your core to not push all the force on your wrists and palms. It takes a lot of practice to consciously get used to riding this way but once you do, riding any sporty motorcycle with an aggressive posture becomes easy.
neil.jericho is offline   (6) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed