Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 28th November 2018, 11:59   #781
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Royal Enfield Interceptor & Continental 650. EDIT: Launched @ Rs 2.50 - 2.65 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
Well, I was bowled over by the looks and exhaust note of the 650 twins and even had a thought of replacing my 2017 RC 390 with the CGT 650. But then my highest priorities are handling and performance. Now that I know that both aren't that good as the RC390, I may just live with it and keep grinning every corner.

Thanks for the feedback !
To be fair, these are only quick, initial impressions, given I got only 5-10 minutes riding time on each bike, that too in a fair bit of traffic. They might yet have more surprises over a longer ride, particularly once I, as a rider, bed in better with the bike. But, as a fellow, but newer RC390 rider, I can't see why I'd want to switch at all.
The reason I went, was to add another bike to my stable (read apartment stilt). RC for the city/medium distance runs and something else for touring with pillion.

Last edited by roy_libran : 28th November 2018 at 12:14.
roy_libran is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2018, 15:15   #782
BHPian

Re: The Royal Enfield Interceptor & Continental 650. EDIT: Launched @ Rs 2.50 - 2.65 lakhs

Is it recommended to upsize the rear tires of Continental GT 650? If yes what are the preferred sizes ?
Old 28th November 2018, 19:05   #783
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
thought of replacing my 2017 RC 390 with the CGT 650.
Well, knowing you and reading about your riding preferences, I'm pretty sure that either of the GTs won't make the cut for you. Also, coming from an RC 390, you are going to be disappointed in terms of handling for sure.

Also, I think it is unfair to compare the RC and the Twins together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cags View Post
upsize the rear tires of Continental GT 650
Any particular reason why you are looking at upsizing the tires on the GT? If you can put some more light on what your end goal is, our experts might be able to give you some sensible suggestions.

Last edited by R-Six : 28th November 2018 at 19:07.
Old 29th November 2018, 07:01   #784
BHPian

Hi R Six, Other than looks I don't seen any other reason.
Old 29th November 2018, 10:23   #785
BHPian

Hi Moderators,

Is it time to split this thread to a new RE 650 Twin test ride thread like we (Team-BHP) did for the Himalayan.

Are the bikes available for test ride in Pune? No reports yet!

Ride safe
surjaonwheelz
surjaonwheelz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2018, 18:37   #786
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by surjaonwheelz View Post
Hi Moderators,

Ride safe
surjaonwheelz
Saw the bikes at the Wagholi dealer they got the black INT650 and the ice queen CGT on display. Test rides will start 1st week of December
davids4x4mm550 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2018, 18:52   #787
BHPian

I got a call today from Acclaim motors, Yelahanka, Bangalore to schedule a test ride for the twins on 4th December, 2018. I had been to their showroom earlier during the launch event of the twins on 14th November, 2018 , where I had expressed interest for the test ride. For the test ride they have asked to come wearing jeans and with shoes.
amitpatnaik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2018, 19:15   #788
BHPian

I got an update from Whitefield RE that test rides are starting tomorrow 9:30 AM.
Rocky_Balboa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2018, 23:52   #789
Team-BHP Support

Continental GT 650 on the dyno -

The Royal Enfield Interceptor & Continental 650. EDIT: Launched @ Rs 2.50 - 2.65 lakhs-screenshot_20181129234959.png

Source -

Old 30th November 2018, 00:14   #790
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by surjaonwheelz View Post
Hi Moderators,

Is it time to split this thread to a new RE 650 Twin test ride thread like we (Team-BHP) did for the Himalayan.

Ride safe
surjaonwheelz

Yes, I was able to get it for the interceptor, although it hadn't got a number yet, so the re sales guy accompanies you during the test drive and I wasn't allowed to take my wife along for the td. This is at Platinum auto Fatima nagar. The number should be allotted in about 3 days time.
oli.ferns is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2018, 13:33   #791
BHPian

No test rides in Chandigarh/Punjab yet. Saw the display interceptor at Chandigarh dealership. The build quality and finish of the machine is top notch. The paint and chrome is excellent. The only component that looks out of place in terms of finish quality are the turn-indicators. They look cheap compared to rest of the bike. And of course, the bike is crying for a set of custom mirror finish exhaust pipes. With the money saved by picking the interceptor over an imported bike, say a triumph, the customisation possibilities are crazy.
Old 30th November 2018, 14:40   #792
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky_Balboa View Post
I got an update from Whitefield RE that test rides are starting tomorrow 9:30 AM.
I was able to get a short ride on both the GT and the Interceptor.

The GT has a quick throttle and handles as well as the GT535, but sounds a little muted. The Interceptor has more play in the throttle, but feels very light on the move and the burble is very pleasing.

The gearbox is slick and precise and the clutch very light. However, I could feel heat from the engine on the Interceptor, whereas I noticed none on the GT.

The Royal Enfield Interceptor & Continental 650. EDIT: Launched @ Rs 2.50 - 2.65 lakhs-i650.jpeg
My booking stays by the way and thats me on the Interceptor with the custom I650 tee
Rocky_Balboa is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 30th November 2018, 17:05   #793
BHPian

Well, I too had a quick test ride today at the RE showroom, Jayanagar in Bengaluru. This is the same showroom i selected when i did my booking for CGT650. Test rides started here couple of days ago and I was yet to get a call for the test ride. I just dropped-in as i was around and they accommodated me. Took the CGT (Ice Queen) first for a ride

What i liked:
. Super easy to ride and handle the bike. Never felt big and bulky when on the bike. Even though the bike is quite heavy.
. The sound notes are not loud nor it seems high-revving. But, you can feel the rumble, which is good.
. No vibrations felt and happy to jump at the turn of the throttle.
. The bike had already done about 500kms and i didn't feel the heat as some mentioned here
. Clutch and gear are super smooth, precise and never interferes with your intent.
. Brakes are super good. I had to control so i don't get rear-ended (Something i also worry about in my T-jet)
. Never gave any jitters about losing control at any time. You can be on 6th gear at 60kms
. Quite a few head turned at the signals and also when we took-off after the green light.

Dislikes
. The sound could have been much impactful. Doesn't really sound like a big 650CC from an outsider/onlooker perspective.
. The rear tyre could have been bigger. There was no shortage of road-grip. This is again purely aesthetics..
. The instrument cluster is basic and again a big opportunity for RE to make it look really sophisticated/high-end.
. Felt the weight on my wrists as i braked. But again, this is because of short stopping distance and the lower handle. It's more about me getting used (and change) to the riding form of CGT.

Also took a short ride of the INterceptor. Riding this one is super comfy and seats are soft too. It's like driving a SUV with commanding view of the road. I felt no difference in the sound and pickup from CGT. However, the feel for the rider is completely different purely from the riding posture. I personally like the CGT riding posture/style and I will mostly stick to it.

I will do another test-ride in a couple of weeks and also closely watch the feedback from other riders here. Here a photo of my ride..
Attached Thumbnails
The Royal Enfield Interceptor & Continental 650. EDIT: Launched @ Rs 2.50 - 2.65 lakhs-cgt650-2.jpg  

r0ckstar.1 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 30th November 2018, 19:24   #794
Senior - BHPian

Did a long test ride this evening on the GT on the airport highway and boy, was it crazy. Forget the smoothness tests and the exhaust note, this bike is all about torque and it shows all the way to the redline. I was hunting for the next gear when I was in sixth. It hits silly speeds easily for a 200 kg bike. I managed to hit close to the top end twice on short empty stretches. It reminded me of the first gen 390 , but a calmer version of the same.
It is hard to believe you are on a RE when riding it. Being the GT, all you need to do is crouch fully and wring the throttle open and the torque does the rest. There is some amount of vibrations in the high rpms, but nothing that is bothersome. It does feel heavy when moving the bike while parking or so, but once on the move, it is easy to handle, in traffic especially.
The exhaust note is nice, but I would for sure go for a performance one that will give me some nice music in high revs. As long as you are doing slow speeds , the note is audible. And a special mention to the engine noise, there is no noise as such except for a soft thrum like air being pumped and no clatter at all.

I didn't feel any engine heat either and the bike I rode had run just 120 kms. The only part which I felt annoyed was when down shifting quickly, the gears didn't slot as I would have liked. This was when I was shedding speed and not when I was already slow and downshifting. Probably because the bike was new too.

As much as I would have liked the GT, I would go for the Interceptor whenever I go for it which should be after the first few batches are made and first hand reviews are out. But from the ride, it does't look like anything would go wrong with the bike that early.
Had a long ride after that back home in peak traffic and it was back my old 'Bullet' and was thinking how perfectly the twin would compliment it.

Can't wait to own one. Good one RE

Edit: On a separate note, I am happy to see how much the customer service at the showrooms have improved. A far cry from what it was in the early 2000's. Also the fact that, they offered a long test ride with no one sitting with you but a showroom staff ahead of you showing the way and prodding you to give it the beans.
I remember test riding the Lightening 535 around 2001 with a showroom person sitting pillion for a round inside the showroom compound.

Last edited by tharian : 30th November 2018 at 19:40.
tharian is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 30th November 2018, 19:33   #795
BHPian

Apart from spelling I was pretty ok with the list of accessories and the prices that are being ordered for my bike.
I wondered what the RJU kit was, and given the spell prowess, it could be anything, so they sent me a photo, and still it could be anything.

The Royal Enfield Interceptor & Continental 650. EDIT: Launched @ Rs 2.50 - 2.65 lakhs-img20181130wa0042.jpg

The Royal Enfield Interceptor & Continental 650. EDIT: Launched @ Rs 2.50 - 2.65 lakhs-img20181130wa0044.jpg
Hammer & Anvil is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed