Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 3rd December 2018, 00:01   #811
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Royal Enfield Interceptor & Continental 650. EDIT: Launched @ Rs 2.50 - 2.65 lakhs

Well, I think the touring seat for the Interceptor 650 is not the same one as on the Continental GT 650. I did see touring seats for the Interceptor, and they were just like the standard seats to look at, except for double stitching and a small tag that reads 'touring' just the seat foam density is different between these two.

However, its good to know that the Conti's seats fit the Interceptor - more options are always welcome. But IMHO it spoils the classic look of the Interceptor, or maybe we are just used to seeing it a particular way, and now we just need some time to get used to this change.

A quick cut-paste job -

The Royal Enfield Interceptor & Continental 650. EDIT: Launched @ Rs 2.50 - 2.65 lakhs-1990404-p1fonbikestorebg1280x1000.jpg

The Royal Enfield Interceptor & Continental 650. EDIT: Launched @ Rs 2.50 - 2.65 lakhs-1990445p1fonbikestorebg1280x1000e.jpg
aravind.anand is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2018, 07:46   #812
BHPian

Re: The Royal Enfield Interceptor & Continental 650. EDIT: Launched @ Rs 2.50 - 2.65 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind.anand View Post

However, its good to know that the Conti's seats fit the Interceptor - more options are always welcome. But IMHO it spoils the classic look of the Interceptor, or maybe we are just used to seeing it a particular way, and now we just need some time to get used to this change.

A quick cut-paste job -

Attachment 1824218

Attachment 1824219
Yes the seat looks slightly out of place, but then it started to grow on me and now the Conti GT seats look cool in Int 650. However, has anyone experienced how the GT seat foam is? Is it on firm side to support long seating duration?
Old 3rd December 2018, 09:56   #813
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VishJ View Post
Is it on firm side to support long seating duration?
Yes, it is on the firm side in a good way per my experience..
Old 3rd December 2018, 19:03   #814
BHPian

Long post, skip few paragraphs to read the test review!

I created the team-bhp account a long time ago and my Bhutan - Sikkim log for 2014 is still in the assembly line. Somehow, was just happy reading the topics here but not participating anywhere!

Realized my 3 year old dream with the Dominar Trans-Siberian Odyssey, but life was in a fabulous mess once I got back, so riding took a hit and Tashi, my KTM 390 has seen less than 2k kms until now after the return.

However, the urge to get one good ADV motorcycle and grow old with it has been lurking in my mind since 3-4 years.
I almost had made up my mind to go for the V Strom 650 but the financial aspect was daunting and then the Interceptor happened.

Being the persistent prick I am, devoured every possible information on the twins for the last two weeks and was happy that I can get a compromised fun at 1/3 of the cost of the former choice.

So today, dropped by to CVS Royal Enfield in Kalyan Nagar for a test ride after calling them earlier.
Shruti came along because now it's a priority for me to make sure that my wife's comfortable (one short ride to Chikmaglur after our wedding in May got her some fever being a pillion on the katoom ).

Walked into a RE showroom after 6 years and realized that things haven't changed much apart from the nice interiors. I thought that perhaps they were stressed out with the recent influx of test requests and was patiently waiting for my turn to hop onto the Interceptor.
Nevertheless, I even had to shamelessly mention my ride last year and that I would bring the bike safe back but I wanted a longer ride. The folks had a valid reason that bikes were only temporarily registered but the attitude just sucked.

The bike I tested had 396kms on the odo and the first feeling after I mounted was that the handlebar is too low for my build (I am 6', 79kg, athletic and my wife's 5.6').

Footpeg positioning is perfect for me, much comfortable and ergonomic than the katoom.
I found the bars buzzy unlike what others mentioned but it could be owing to a fairly new machine.
No fouling when I kept the feet down but I found my right inner shin almost touching the clutch actuator arm. Weird!

The Royal Enfield Interceptor & Continental 650. EDIT: Launched @ Rs 2.50 - 2.65 lakhs-img_20181203_160347__01.jpg

The Royal Enfield Interceptor & Continental 650. EDIT: Launched @ Rs 2.50 - 2.65 lakhs-img_20181203_160402__01.jpg

The Royal Enfield Interceptor & Continental 650. EDIT: Launched @ Rs 2.50 - 2.65 lakhs-img_20181203_160318__01.jpg

The motorcycle pulled very nice and clean from standstill and seat though a little soft for my taste, felt good.

Exhaust note seemed a bit muted to me for a twin nevertheless not a deal breaker.

Turning radius is damn good and manoeuvrability is easy, thanks to the rake angle.

Fueling is smooth, I tried rolling on around 20kmph in second and the bike was alright without any hesitation.

Suspension is decent for my taste while I think the travel in the front could have been 15-20mm more. I deliberately tried running over bad patches and the bike soaked them well although I have my doubts over non tarmac stretches.

Build quality is impressive for the price, as you can notice from the pics. Sorry, I had about 5 mins to click these although wanted to get more angles.

The top speed I could manage in the interior road was about 60kmph and hence can't comment about the high speed manners.

Brakes are crisp and fantastic. The front felt very progressive and confident inspiring.

The exhausts though, really protrude wide out when looked from behind. Gotta be cautious with the squeezing in the city.

The Royal Enfield Interceptor & Continental 650. EDIT: Launched @ Rs 2.50 - 2.65 lakhs-img_20181203_161630__01__01__01.jpg

The Royal Enfield Interceptor & Continental 650. EDIT: Launched @ Rs 2.50 - 2.65 lakhs-img_20181203_160531__01__01__01__01.jpg

The Royal Enfield Interceptor & Continental 650. EDIT: Launched @ Rs 2.50 - 2.65 lakhs-img_20181203_160335__01__01__01.jpg

The Royal Enfield Interceptor & Continental 650. EDIT: Launched @ Rs 2.50 - 2.65 lakhs-img_20181203_161610__01__01.jpg

The Royal Enfield Interceptor & Continental 650. EDIT: Launched @ Rs 2.50 - 2.65 lakhs-img_20181203_160429_bokeh__01.jpg

I have doubts on how folks are going to use saddle bags with the low seat height and the upswept exhausts, perhaps will have to settle for smaller sized ones?

After riding for about 2 kms, asked my wife to join me so that we know the ergonomics. She was happy about the seating and comfort but instantly told that she could feel the heat from the exhaust.
For some reason, she kept asking 'Are you happy?' and I recall saying a half-hearted 'Yes'. That's when I realized that this is not gonna work out for me and the initial excitement started draining pretty fast.

I had vowed of never buying a Royal Enfield after owing a Electra 350 for 50k odd kms and then a Machismo 500 for over 55k kms, most of it touring. I really wanted the Interceptor to prove me wrong and I was okay with the compromise of getting some jugaad again for the touring set up and use it for 2-3 years. But in the end, am just disappointed.

Full score to Siddhartha Lal for the motorcycles, they are fine and built well. After KTM, this is surely the best gift to a motorcycle enthusiast, at an affordable price point.
But I don't think the crap attitude of the showroom can be tolerated by me and I didn't find myself smiling inside the lid after the ride.

So, am gonna cut down on the smokes and liquid courage, save up and get the V-Strom sometime next year!

Cheers.
katoom is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2018, 20:05   #815
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by katoom View Post
But I don't think the crap attitude of the showroom can be tolerated by me and I didn't find myself smiling inside the lid after the ride.
Got a nice test ride of the GT from the same showroom as I visited early, but i think they were overwhelmed with the responses later. I waited some time for the TD of Interceptor and left the place tired of waiting.

If you want a good highway ride, call up Yelahanka showroom and go there. Speak to Bharath or Gagan.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2018, 20:59   #816
BHPian

Atlast went to test drive the INT 650 today at techincs motors indranagar. Had a mixed feeling about the bike. All the good stuff aside i was majorly disapointed with the footpegs. It doesn't seem to be so comfortable to my liking. Another observation is that the vehicle cannot be driven without a riding boots. The right side engine casing was super hot and was infact uncomfortable. I could feel rhe heat on my ankles even though I was wearing a shoe. The sales rep told it is due to all the testdrive that was done today. From morning till 5 pm they had aprox 38 test drives and that was the reason for the super hot engine. Another issue i felt was the handlebar. It was not as comfortable as my cl 500 handles.

I will need to take longer test drive to further decide what to do with my booking. Expected delivery for my booking is feb 2nd week.

There are two bikes ready for delivery which are the for people who went for rider mania.

Last edited by arun_sharon : 3rd December 2018 at 21:01.
arun_sharon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2018, 21:19   #817
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by param22k View Post
No test rides in Chandigarh/Punjab yet. Saw the display interceptor at Chandigarh dealership. The build quality and finish of the machine is top notch. The paint and chrome is excellent. The only component that looks out of place in terms of finish quality are the turn-indicators. They look cheap compared to rest of the bike. And of course, the bike is crying for a set of custom mirror finish exhaust pipes. With the money saved by picking the interceptor over an imported bike, say a triumph, the customisation possibilities are crazy.
Visit Sector 32, Chandigarh for test ride. I had it there on 27th

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer & Anvil View Post
Apart from spelling I was pretty ok with the list of accessories and the prices that are being ordered for my bike.
I wondered what the RJU kit was, and given the spell prowess, it could be anything, so they sent me a photo, and still it could be anything.

Attachment 1823475

Attachment 1823476
I think these are the rear swingarm bobbins for paddock stand.

Last edited by aah78 : 4th December 2018 at 20:16. Reason: Posts merged. Please use QUOTE+/MULTI-QUOTE. Thanks!
gharika is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2018, 22:12   #818
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
That's when I realized that this is not gonna work out for me and the initial excitement started draining pretty fast.

I had vowed of never buying a Royal Enfield after owing a Electra 350 for 50k odd kms and then a Machismo 500 for over 55k kms, most of it touring. I really wanted the Interceptor to prove me wrong and I was okay with the compromise of getting some jugaad again for the touring set up and use it for 2-3 years. But in the end, am just disappointed.
I wasnt able to properly decipher, what was it about the Interceptor that left you disappointed? Was it the handlebars positioning and buzzing? Or something else about the overall product?

By and large, the Royal Enfield showroom experiences in Bangalore have improved a lot over the last few years. Maybe a different showroom will accommodate you and provide for a much longer test ride.

Quote:
Realized my 3 year old dream with the Dominar Trans-Siberian Odyssey, but life was in a fabulous mess once I got back, so riding took a hit and Tashi, my KTM 390 has seen less than 2k kms until now after the return.
O.T - were you a rider on the Trans Siberian Odyssey?
Old 3rd December 2018, 22:21   #819
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gharika View Post
I think these are the rear swingarm bobbins for paddock stand.
No, these are the rear-suspension units' mount bolts!
Old 3rd December 2018, 23:28   #820
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Got a nice test ride of the GT from the same showroom as I visited early, but i think they were overwhelmed with the responses later. I waited some time for the TD of Interceptor and left the place tired of waiting.

If you want a good highway ride, call up Yelahanka showroom and go there. Speak to Bharath or Gagan.
Thanks for that. Might give it another shot after the ruckus mellows down!

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
I wasnt able to properly decipher, what was it about the Interceptor that left you disappointed? Was it the handlebars positioning and buzzing? Or something else about the overall product?

By and large, the Royal Enfield showroom experiences in Bangalore have improved a lot over the last few years. Maybe a different showroom will accommodate you and provide for a much longer test ride.

O.T - were you a rider on the Trans Siberian Odyssey?
It wouldn't be a fair comparison but I rode my friend's T120 and few other twins so expected a little better refinement. Indeed, this one is way better compared to the older gen REs but I felt it was a lot buzzy for a twin. Not sure if it's a one off case. Also, I would have needed a 1.5" riser to make the bar posture comfortable for the long runs.

Overall, you choose the bike or it chooses you the moment you sit on the saddle and ride some. I wasn't left excited at the end of it.
Plus, the thought of making a custom luggage rack, accessories socket, better windscreen, find a suitable luggage system, lack of gear indicator/clock makes me stay away from the long & tedious route of weekends spent in getting these done and testing.
I still believe the product per se is a good one, just that it doesn't fit in for me. An old Bonnie will someday be in my garage

O.T - Yes, I am one of the Odyssey riders. Sudhir aka TheMotoholic!
katoom is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 4th December 2018, 07:36   #821
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for that. Might give it another shot after the ruckus mellows down!

Hey Sudhir, that's nice to know that we have a true blue tourer amongst us. I have a few questions which might be OT for this thread, may I PM you?

Cheers.

Last edited by thumpmeister : 4th December 2018 at 07:37. Reason: Spellcheck & grammar
Old 4th December 2018, 10:33   #822
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Strange. I would have expected you to have bought the Dominar eyes closed after everything you've done so far with her.
Old 4th December 2018, 10:35   #823
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Strange. I would have expected you to have bought the Dominar eyes closed after everything you've done so far with her.
Even I had the same thoughts
Old 4th December 2018, 11:08   #824
Senior - BHPian

Have any of you got any delivery dates? I booked mine on the 15th of November. I booked mine at Acclaim Motors, Initially, I was told by January now they are pushing my delivery to February.
Old 4th December 2018, 11:32   #825
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Slow View Post
Have any of you got any delivery dates? I booked mine on the 15th of November. I booked mine at Acclaim Motors, Initially, I was told by January now they are pushing my delivery to February.
I booked mine on the 15th too at Accelerate motors, RR Nagar, Bangalore. They are unsure - Dec end upto Jan end is the time line they mentioned as of yesterday.

Being well within the first twenty-five bookings, I find it strange that they are not sure of the exact dates.
kesh4munni is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks