Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th November 2017, 13:27   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

re: The Everyday Superbike! Juggernaut, my Kawasaki Versys 650. EDIT: 2nd service & accessories

Quote:
Originally Posted by indrokneel View Post
Since the first 1000 kms were under 4k rpm (not that I am a red liner)
You're not...I am!

Truth be told, unbeknownst my own trade name here, I rode the Versys 650 the first few 1000 kms like how you drive a torque laden diesel car - upshift the heck out it at 3-4k rpm and cruise in bliss at 6th gear @ 120 kmph.

I had to consciously relearn and re work my shifting patterns and get more aggressive on the throttle to hear the sheer joy from the exhaust.

Congrats mate, what a choice, what a bike
Red Liner is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th November 2017, 14:54   #17
BHPian

re: The Everyday Superbike! Juggernaut, my Kawasaki Versys 650. EDIT: 2nd service & accessories

Congrats on the bike!

All the Versys owners, I have some questions. I ride a Z800 currently and have been thinking about moving to a touring bike. Tiger is out of reach. Thinking about the Versys 650 so my questions are:
1. How smooth is the bike? Will I like it after riding the butter smooth inline 4?
2. How is the power delivery and acceleration? I've become addicted to the Z8's power so looking for something close to that in terms of power.
3. How is the maintenance cost? I'm guessing that the spares will be similarly priced for the Versys as for Z8.
4. How long do the tyres last and what do regular tyres cost? For Z8, they last around 10-12k and Michelins cost 25k for a set.
anshumandun is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th November 2017, 15:08   #18
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by anshumandun View Post
1. How smooth is the bike? Will I like it after riding the butter smooth inline 4?
2. How is the power delivery and acceleration? I've become addicted to the Z8's power so looking for something close to that in terms of power.
3. How is the maintenance cost? I'm guessing that the spares will be similarly priced for the Versys as for Z8.
4. How long do the tyres last and what do regular tyres cost? For Z8, they last around 10-12k and Michelins cost 25k for a set.
1. Smooth as far as twins are concerned. But definitely not as smooth as an inline4. You will miss the smoothness and the sound, as small compromises to make.

2. I haven't tried the Z800 on the roads, but had a test ride of the 900. Versys does feel a little bit underpowered as compared to the Z900, as I realized that I was unknowingly revving the Versys a lot more than usual after the Z900 ride.

However - Versys feels more rideable too, as it feels more responsive lower down the range. You don't need to revv the bike to get going. Also it doesn't feel as different in power as the numbers suggest, due to more usable power in the Versys.

3. Costs should be similar, if not slightly cheaper than the Z900.

4. Similar intervals for the tyres. Similar price ranges as well - depending on whether you go for road spec (22k for Metzelers) or for off road spec which should cost more.

5. A question not asked - The big differentiator would be the comfort factor. Where the Z is a fire breathing dragon that you need to hold on to like your life depends on it - the Versys in comparison is a sofa set on two wheels. Properly upright ergonomics, an actual seat with enough space to move around the legs as well. And compare to the naked like the Z800 - there is literally no windblast to speak off.

You should be taking a test ride, in case you haven't done so already. Kawasaki organizes highway test ride events in Bangalore and Versys 650 makes it to almost every event thanks to the demand.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 16th November 2017 at 15:12.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 16th November 2017, 15:34   #19
BHPian

Welcome indrokneel and congratulations on owning this brilliant machine.

Wish you many more happy and safe miles!
atul.ktm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2017, 17:18   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
1. Smooth as far as twins are concerned. But definitely not as smooth as an inline4. You will miss the smoothness and the sound, as small compromises to make.
Twins vs. Inline 4?

Twin is most certainly super smooth and as many say to which I concur, it's hard to hear the sound of the engine when on the run

But, no I dont think they can be as smooth as an I4

Quote:
2. I haven't tried the Z800 on the roads, but had a test ride of the 900. Versys does feel a little bit underpowered as compared to the Z900, as I realized that I was unknowingly revving the Versys a lot more than usual after the Z900 ride.
Have ridden the Z800 a few times. Versys feels certainly under power ONLY during accelaration but, when on the move it can keep up with liter class bikes too

Quote:
However - Versys feels more rideable too, as it feels more responsive lower down the range. You don't need to revv the bike to get going. Also it doesn't feel as different in power as the numbers suggest, due to more usable power in the Versys.
Spot on. Versys can be tame when it wants and can come into it's own being when someone tries to show off their liter class badge...LOL!

Quote:
3. Costs should be similar, if not slightly cheaper than the Z900.
Disagree

Z800 is way more expensive than the Versys. I would peg the expenses to be around 40% costlier

Simple example. Versys takes in 1.9 liter of oil whereas the Z800 takes a whole lot more, I think around 4 liters (Not really sure of exact amount) and this itself will cost ~3K over and above the Versys

Quote:
4. Similar intervals for the tyres. Similar price ranges as well - depending on whether you go for road spec (22k for Metzelers) or for off road spec which should cost more.
Again I will have to disagree. Z800 tyres will get eaten up much faster than a Versys

Tyres cost are subjective and if money is not a problem, owner can shod it with 27K pair Heidenau or 14K pair Michelins (150" rear)

Quote:
5. A question not asked - The big differentiator would be the comfort factor. Where the Z is a fire breathing dragon that you need to hold on to like your life depends on it - the Versys in comparison is a sofa set on two wheels. Properly upright ergonomics, an actual seat with enough space to move around the legs as well. And compare to the naked like the Z800 - there is literally no windblast to speak off.
Agree. But, Z800 in our riding group is the most enthused guy and a BHPian (IDPSharma) and he does only long distance riding (but, keeps complaining of his butt going on fire...) and has clocked 11000kms in a year

Comparatively, Versys will be super comfortable

Quote:
You should be taking a test ride, in case you haven't done so already. Kawasaki organizes highway test ride events in Bangalore and Versys 650 makes it to almost every event thanks to the demand.
Someone used to a Z800 riding a Versys 650 might be little underwhelming on the power front but, everything else is much superior for the Versys

Last edited by mobike008 : 16th November 2017 at 21:47.
mobike008 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 16th November 2017, 18:40   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

So i am guessing a versys with an i4 z900 engine tuned like in the z900rs is the proverbial unicorn in the adv touring category for india?
Red Liner is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th November 2017, 22:51   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
So i am guessing a versys with an i4 z900 engine tuned like in the z900rs is the proverbial unicorn in the adv touring category for india?
hahaha, you couldn't have been more subtle!!! You summed it up in a sentence, what we mortals break our heads against. All I know is that the Unicorn weighs 160 kgs and sounds like Mr Marquez's KTM offer.
Surajit333 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2017, 14:59   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Someone used to a Z800 riding a Versys 650 might be little underwhelming on the power front but, everything else is much superior for the Versys
Thanks guys for your inputs. I will be taking a test ride soon. But what I don't like about these highway test rides is that they don't last more than 2-3 kms and that's not enough to judge a bike like the Versys which is made for long touring. I'll see if I can manage to get hold of a Versys which I can try out for 100 kms or so and then make the decision.
Old 17th November 2017, 15:03   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks guys for your inputs. I will be taking a test ride soon. But what I don't like about these highway test rides is that they don't last more than 2-3 kms and that's not enough to judge a bike like the Versys which is made for long touring. I'll see if I can manage to get hold of a Versys which I can try out for 100 kms or so and then make the decision.
For you mate, since you're coming from the z800, I would only recommend the Ninja 1000...all the way. Don't look at the Versys unless your travels are taking you way off the beaten path (even then the Versys is a smidge too heavy to be used optimally).
Red Liner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2017, 15:40   #25
BHPian

Quote:
V is available on rent from wickedride at a very good price when you book it through cleartrip, check this out. I have plans of renting sometime.

https://www.cleartrip.com/local/bang...galore-14610-1

KK
KK_HakunaMatata is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 17th November 2017, 16:40   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KK_HakunaMatata View Post
V is available on rent from wickedride at a very good price when you book it through cleartrip, check this out. I have plans of renting sometime.

https://www.cleartrip.com/local/bang...galore-14610-1

KK
Its even cheaper on Twic - 4.5k a day with 300km

https://www.twic.in/our-fleet/versys-650

I have personally found Twic to be cheaper & better than wicked rides.
ethanhunt123 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th November 2017, 10:09   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
+1

I would never upgrade from a Versys if the power output was 100BHP or little more and weight of the bike was 20kgs lower. Not that it's felt when on the move. Parallel Twin is just fine but, if Kawa wants to give us an i4, I will not say no..I would not change the dimensions at all as it's perfect sized bike

Quote:
For you mate, since you're coming from the z800, I would only recommend the Ninja 1000...all the way. Don't look at the Versys unless your travels are taking you way off the beaten path (even then the Versys is a smidge too heavy to be used optimally).
My recommendation would still be a Versys 650 over Ninja 1000 if it's touring. It is no brainer that V would be a lot more comfortable over the Ninja 1000 in touring conditions.

Quote:
Anshuman : Everyone has a gut feeling and it changes from individual to individual.

My gut feeling kicks in <5kms of a test ride of any motorcycle and I will know within that time-period if I have fallen in love with it or not and whether I live with it.

Only condition for me during that test ride is that it should make me ecstatic and happy and that comes with my key parameters (Comfort, Power, Handling, Ride---Everything else is passe' for me).

If it makes me feel; how I want to feel, I just pay up irrespective of the cost of motorcycle...LOL!

Purchased the Bonnie in similar manner ( < 5kms test ride)

I bought the Versys with a test-ride inside a building complex where the showroom was situated. I went around and around for maybe 6-7 times which would not have been even a kilometer and got off the bike and paid the 50 grand advance cheque

Take the test ride of both Versys 650 and Ninja 1000 and I'm sure you will know what you want. Coming from a Z800, I have a feeling you will opt for the Ninja 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by KK_HakunaMatata View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanhunt123 View Post
Its even cheaper on Twic - 4.5k a day with 300km
This is a good option but, most times the cars/bikes are maintained irresponsibly and may not give the correct feel of the vehicle

Despite above, I think renting a bike before purchase is the best way to know if you will like it or not

Good luck Anshuman and we would love to hear back in detail about your test ride experiences !!

Last edited by mobike008 : 18th November 2017 at 10:13.
mobike008 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th November 2017, 09:28   #28
BHPian

Lots of Versys 650 threads now and this one is very detailed as well.

But would it not be nice if someone pits the 650 against the Versys 1000 to see how both fare in the Indian scenario? Or better still even throw in the Ninja 1000 and evaluate all these three from a sport tourer perspective?

Old 20th November 2017, 10:23   #29
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowMan View Post
Lots of Versys 650 threads now and this one is very detailed as well.

But would it not be nice if someone pits the 650 against the Versys 1000 to see how both fare in the Indian scenario? Or better still even throw in the Ninja 1000 and evaluate all these three from a sport tourer perspective?

Versys 1000 is not on sale anymore. However - out of the two, its the Versys 650 that comes on top as the more versatile and value for money machine. It can handle a wider variety of terrain with more relative ease and is priced almost half that of the Versys 1000 in the Indian context.

Where the Versys 1000 shines is only for pure highway mile munching. If the 650 is very comfortable, the 1000 is a sofa set on wheels and feels a bit lighter on the move as well (unlike the specs suggest). Plus its an inline4 which has a charm of its own, and producing almost twice as much power as the 650 parallel twin.

Hopefully - Versys 1000 makes a comeback via the CKD route, with all the goodies from the new Ninja 1000. If its priced 1 - 1.5 lakhs above the current Ninja 1000 - it has the potential to really eat up the market, and even cannibalise some sales from the N1000 too. Its just that comfortable a machine for highway use!
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th November 2017, 10:40   #30
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations on the new Versys mate and welcome to the Kawasaki family. Wishing you years of safe riding pleasure. Ride safe, ride fully geared.

On the questions about comparisons to the Ninja 1000 as a Sports Touring option, if your budget allows you to stretch that much, let me chip in my bit as 2018 N1K owner. Comfort is supreme even on the Ninja 1000 if you plan Sports Touring on highways. A friend on the Mumbai - Jaisalmer ride had this to comment after completing 935 kms in a single day -

The Everyday Superbike! Juggernaut, my Kawasaki Versys 650. EDIT: 2nd service & accessories-screenshot_20171120103819.png

The riding position, however, of the Versys is more upright but the seat of the Ninja1000 has also been improved quite a bit and I hardly break a sweat riding on it. Then there's the question of the wonderful in-line 4 engine, which takes the jump into another league all together and I will in no way be justified comparing it anywhere near to the 650 twin on the Versys. My advice to prospective Tourers will be to ride both bikes (budget allowing), assess your riding needs and off-roading needs and then take a final call. I was about to purchase the Versys before the new Ninja 1000 came out and as my budget and needs allowed me to go for the N1K, I am loving every moment on it. It has ignited a new spark in me which a twin never would have.

Cheers...

Last edited by dkaile : 20th November 2017 at 10:44.
dkaile is online now   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks