Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports

Search this Thread
Old 23rd November 2017, 15:16   #16
BHPian

re: My Kawasaki Z800. Now with Plasti Dip coating (page 3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by avinashsg View Post
What is your experience with the headlights. Are you running on stock or are there any add-ons in place.
The stock headlights were decent. I wanted to add auxilliary LEDs but there is no good mounting place on the bike and they don't look good on this bike. So I swapped the headlight lamps with LED lamps that I bought from Aliexpress. They are bright but due to their size, they do not sit properly in the limited space and that has changed the focus of the low beam. I am going to put back the stock lamp for the low beam. For the high beam, the LED lamp is great and gives a good throw of white light.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Z800 is a great bike no doubt but, if you are looking forward to touring then go the ADV way (Tiger, Versys, AT etc) as comfort you get for long distance riding is in a different league
I don't usually do more than 500 odd kms in a day and the Z is good for that. But I say this because I've never ridden an ADV. Once I do that, I'm sure that I will start finding shortcomings in the Z's comfort so I better don't try one until I am ready to upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haroon View Post
Nice pics by John. His Z features in one of my videos
Which video? Would like to see. John is a big time rider

Last edited by anshumandun : 23rd November 2017 at 15:18.
anshumandun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2017, 17:54   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anshumandun View Post
The stock headlights were decent. I wanted to add auxilliary LEDs but there is no good mounting place on the bike and they don't look good on this bike. So I swapped the headlight lamps with LED lamps that I bought from Aliexpress. They are bright but due to their size, they do not sit properly in the limited space and that has changed the focus of the low beam. I am going to put back the stock lamp for the low beam. For the high beam, the LED lamp is great and gives a good throw of white light.
Can you post the link of LED bulbs you bought for the Z800 ?
ethanhunt123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2017, 22:41   #18
BHPian

Quote:
I think you are confused between superbike and supersports. Superbike just means a high performance bike. Supersports like Yamaha R1 or Kawasaki ZX10R have aggressive riding postures. By "superbike stance" I meant that the Z800 stands and looks like a big high performance bike.
I tend to disagree, I use my bike literally anywhere and as long as you come and park quietly, it does not stand out at all. In fact, quite a few times it is mistaken for an FZ16 but the tyre and the exhaust gives it away if someone looks closely.

Quote:
Again, there is no heating issue while riding but while standing on long signals or traffic jams, the temperature does cross the 100 deg C mark and it tends to roast my legs. But I get your point, I think you are pointing towards some Italian brand
Italian, American, there are quite a few. Comparatively, this is a breeze

Quote:
Top Gear India website. Many other websites too. I think this is claimed by Kawasaki. Source
It can do more than that, on the meter at least.
Old 24th November 2017, 00:31   #19
BHPian

Hey anshumandun you have very nicely put down all the points about this Japanese gem!! I am a big fan of Kawasaki motorcycles and boy, these pics are tempting
I ride a 2017 Yamaha R3 with a stock exhaust, I was looking to buy an SC Project or Akrapovich slip-on. would you be able to suggest a good dealer (not online) in Bangalore?
aabhimanyu04 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2017, 12:21   #20
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats on the Z800 Anshuman! Excellent write up and straight from the heart. You are really lucky to get a loaded and relatively new Z800. It brought back a lot of memories of my Z800 - which I got to ride a week ago

Could you post a sound clip of the Akra's in action?
v12 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th November 2017, 12:41   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanhunt123 View Post
Can you post the link of LED bulbs you bought for the Z800 ?
Headlight lamps:https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Newe...627797105.html

Pilot lamps: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/CNSU...815935622.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by aabhimanyu04 View Post
I ride a 2017 Yamaha R3 with a stock exhaust, I was looking to buy an SC Project or Akrapovich slip-on. would you be able to suggest a good dealer (not online) in Bangalore?
You can check out 6th Mile Customs in Indiranagar, Orion Motors Koramangala, 6000 Miles to Isle of Man at Kasturba Road, Moto Performance Stores at outer ring road Banshankari. You can also try JV promoto in Mumbai, heard they are the official dealers of SC project in India.

Quote:
Originally Posted by v12 View Post
It brought back a lot of memories of my Z800 - which I got to ride a week ago
Could you post a sound clip of the Akra's in action?
I used to follow your post on your Z800 when I was planning to upgrade

I will make a video of the Akra with and without the baffle and post soon.

Last edited by anshumandun : 24th November 2017 at 12:47.
anshumandun is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th November 2017, 00:16   #22

Quote:
Next 3 months, nothing much happened. Just that I returned to India, got married, moved to Bangalore and joined a new job. April is when something big really happened. I got to see the CBR250R in flesh for the first time!
You know you are a bhpian when getting married isn't a big thing but seeing the bike for the first time is. Wish you many happy miles on your bike Sir. Congratulations.
shreyasnb is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th November 2017, 14:22   #23
Senior - BHPian

Whoever encouraged you to sum up the review were never wrong as they knew your potential mate

I enjoyed reading every bit of it. The way you have mocked at those questioned you about the bike is rather funny interpretation

Have a safe and joyful ride!
gururajrv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2017, 10:36   #24
Senior - BHPian

Hi Anshuman / folks..is it possible to get finance for a used bike from banks or nbfc at a reasonable RoI? Or what other means of finance besides a 2 wheeler loan make sense? Like is a personal loan or loan against securities cheaper than a loan for used bike? Cant find much to read on google and there is no proper thread to post so asking on this thread.
Old 26th December 2017, 10:46   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilesh5417 View Post
Hi Anshuman / folks..is it possible to get finance for a used bike from banks or nbfc at a reasonable RoI?
Sorry, I don't have any knowledge on this aspect. You can try posting in the used car loan section, maybe someone will be able to help you there.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...oan-rates.html
Old 26th December 2017, 13:07   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Anshuman / folks..is it possible to get finance for a used bike from banks or nbfc at a reasonable RoI? Or what other means of finance besides a 2 wheeler loan make sense? Like is a personal loan or loan against securities cheaper than a loan for used bike? Cant find much to read on google and there is no proper thread to post so asking on this thread.
I guess a personal loan will be cheaper than a Used 2-wheeler loan. You can ask around in PSU Banks to see whether they are willing to finance as they have the best ROI.
Old 28th December 2017, 11:15   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
A typical used car/motorcycle loan will be in the range of 18%-20% depending on which bank you choose. Whereas, a personal loan is in range of 13%-14.5%

Therefore, taking a personal loan would be cheaper than a used auto loan

P.S : These finance companies hedge around a lot with numbers. Hence, always compare apples to apples when it comes to interest rate %. Simple mechanism i follow for comparison purposes is EMI/month for same amount over a same tenure period. Anyways, this thread is not designed for this discussion. So do move to the loan thread for future queries
Old 28th December 2017, 12:39   #28
Senior - BHPian

Thanks guys - i found out that loan against securities is a more cheaper & flexible option. Am getting a 9% RoI from ICICI and will look around a little more for competitive rates. There is no EMI concept and you can pay when ever and how much ever amount you want to pay which makes it more flexible. Plus your eligibility is about 50% of your collateral and the interest is only on the amount you actually use (a bit like the education loan). Not yet sure of foreclosure norms but i guess there should be none.
But as always, if you are not disciplined, that 9% goes on until the clauses for takeover of your collateral kick in i guess.
Nilesh5417 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th March 2018, 15:08   #29
BHPian

Re: Monsoon Ride on the Z800

The lazy person that I am, this post is coming after several months of when the ride actually happened but finally it is here!

During my last ride to Shiradi and Charmadi ghats (link), I had just fallen in love with the idea of riding in rain though hills and forests. Rain just enhances the beauty and serenity of such places and riding through them on a bike is the best way to experience that.

So the next ride was planned to a destination that would take us through Bandipur forest and Wayanad district which sees a lot of rainfall in the monsoon season. The destination was the White House Restaurant in Puduppadi, Kerela. A total distance of 620 kms that we wanted to cover in a day.

My Kawasaki Z800. Now with Plasti Dip coating (page 3)-untitled.png

I floated the plan in the BROZ(Bangalore Riders of Z800) group. Pradeep and Pradyumna decided to join me for the ride which was amazing since I was looking for some company to do the longish ride. The plan was to meet at 4 am at Mysore Road/Nice Road junction on 5th August Saturday. I got the tank topped up at Shell, washed the bike and cleaned and lubed the chain the previous night.

We all were up at 3 am and exchanged messages to ensure that everyone else was up. We met at the planned meeting point at 4:30 am. Since I knew the route, I led the on-way ride while Pradeep volunteered to sweep. It was dark and given that Mysore Highway has a lot of junctions, we rode slow. Just 1 hour into the ride and it started to drizzle. We had waterproof jackets and pants but the sky grew dark as we rode on, signaling possibility of heavy rain ahead. So we stopped and Pradeep and I wore our raincoats that we had purchased from Decathlon while Pradyumna put his trust on the waterproof lining of his Dainese riding jacket.

Putting on rain gear
My Kawasaki Z800. Now with Plasti Dip coating (page 3)-img_1924.jpg

This turned out to be a good decision as the drizzle changed to rain as we rode further. It was round 6 am that we reached the outer ring road junction just outside Mysore. We decided to take the bypass instead of getting inside the city. After taking left at Mysore-Ooty road, it started to rain heavily but it was daylight with sparse traffic and smooth tarmac and we kept riding towards Gundlupet. In between we stopped at a petrol bunk for refueling and then continued to ride in the rain. We took a right at Gundlupet towards Wayanad and were greeted by the sight of cloud covered hills. The rain was relentless but so were we. We kept riding and entered Bandipur forest area. Dense forest, heavy rain, smooth roads and deers being startled by the inline-4 sound, the 3 Zs kept cruising until we got out of the forest area and entered Kerala.

We finally decided to stop for breakfast at a small place and had some appam and egg curry. Riding gear had protected me well from the rain. Except for some rain seeping in to my socks, I was mostly dry. Pradeep was also well protected by his raincoat. Pradyumna had forgotten to zip his rain liner completely and that let some water to get through and wet a part of his t-shirt. Overall, it was not bad considering the heavy rain that we were riding through.

Breakfast
My Kawasaki Z800. Now with Plasti Dip coating (page 3)-img_1948.jpg

Predator eyeing the prey
My Kawasaki Z800. Now with Plasti Dip coating (page 3)-img_1941.jpg

We started riding again after the breakfast and entered Wayanad district in sometime. That’s when the cornering fun began. I was running on new Michelin Pilot Power 3 tyres. Pradeep had Michelin PR2s and Pradyumna had Metzeller S7 at the front and Michelin PR4 at the rear which is supposed to have the best wet grip in its class. The tyres performed really well for all of us. I never felt any loss of traction on the wet roads. But then we were riding with constraint and care as the roads in Wayanad are not very wide and have several blind corners where cars coming from the opposite side tend to overtake foolishly. Stating the obvious but cornering was the best part of the ride. As we exited Wayanad district, we stopped at the Lakkidi view point from where the real ghat section begins. The view was spectacular. We spent 10 minutes there clicking photos and enjoying the view.

My Kawasaki Z800. Now with Plasti Dip coating (page 3)-img_1950.jpg

My Kawasaki Z800. Now with Plasti Dip coating (page 3)-img_1958.jpg

We descended the ghats and finally reached The White House Restaurant at 10:30 am. We were greeted by puzzled looks of waiters and customers who could not believe 3 people entering the place in heavy riding gear and that too in such heavy rain. We went past the curious onlookers to find a table for 6 as we needed space for our gear. Now, this restaurant is “quick” in the sense that you need to sit quickly, order quickly, eat fast and make way for others waiting to be seated and we could sense this in the waiter’s body language as he waited impatiently for us to take off our helmets, gloves, raincoats, jackets, boots and even socks. We were at ease but the waiters were not. We ordered parota and chicken curry as that was the only thing available for breakfast. We told the waiter that we rode all the way from Bangalore to have fish and we would not leave until we get one. We were told that lunch time starts at 12 noon and there will be no fish and biryani until then. Probably the waiter thought that we would leave but boy was he wrong. Finally, we were served biryani at 11:30 and we happily hogged for the next 30 minutes. At 12 noon , much to the relief of the waiters, we started gearing up again and finally left the place at 12:15 pm. The Rain God was watching us intently and made sure that the monsoon ride live up to its name. It had stopped raining the moment we had reached the restaurant and it started raining again the moment we stepped out.

My Kawasaki Z800. Now with Plasti Dip coating (page 3)-img_1969.jpg

Yummy Biryani
My Kawasaki Z800. Now with Plasti Dip coating (page 3)-img_1965.jpg

Juggad
My Kawasaki Z800. Now with Plasti Dip coating (page 3)-img_1967.jpg

Fresh from taking a long break and having hot delicious food, we were back to having fun on the ghats. Pradyumna, with his water cutting PR4s, led the way up this time. We took a small break for fuelling up and then continued riding until we were out of Wayanad and Bandipur forest. Finally, the rain stopped. We stopped too for a small photo session and then continued further before finally stopping at a CCD just 100 kms shy of Bangalore.

Refueling on the way back
My Kawasaki Z800. Now with Plasti Dip coating (page 3)-img_1971.jpg

We reached back Bangalore by 6:30 pm and after thanking each other for the wonderful company in the wonderful ride, we said goodbyes and split up to head back our respective homes.

The bike was dirty and so was I. I decided to prioritize myself over the bike this time and headed straight back home for a long hot shower while the bike had to wait overnight for a shower the next day. My wife always welcomes me with a happy concerned expression when I get back from a ride and this time was no different except that she took my bag and opened it immediately to see what’s inside and breathed a sigh of relief. I had remembered to bring her Fish Biryani from the White House!
anshumandun is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 7th March 2018, 17:57   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Great ride there of 620kms in a day on a Z800 and agree that riding in rains give immense pleasure and hard to describe the joy (Having done a grueling 24-hours rain ride, I know how it feels in & out!)

Btw, you are using a motorcycle as not many people use it (100kms breakfast runs is what majority of these naked's see by most owners) so full appreciation on that aspect

I regularly do these 600-800kms in a day kind of rides and guess what? I always have the company of BHP'ian IDPSharma who rides a Z800.

He complains, cribs about it's uncomfortable seat, of bad roads we take, gets more exhausted than me but, still is the first person to plan the next ride and want to ride longer than previous ride on his Z800 and surprisingly, enjoys every moment of such day-long rides and astonishingly has done ~ 20,000kms on it in less than 2 years...That's what IMO, is true motorcycle passion-above the type/category of bike you ride

Enjoy, Keep Riding and sharing these stories !!!

Last edited by mobike008 : 7th March 2018 at 17:59.
mobike008 is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed