Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th December 2017, 16:07   #16
BHPian

Re: 2018 Yamaha R1 launched @ 20.73 lakhs

In my opinion, for someone looking at a Superbike to drive in the streets, the Ducati 959 Panigale makes a lot of sense. Agree that it's not a litre class bike but neither will it fall in the middle weight category. The Panigale retails at 14.5 Lakhs Ex-Showroom, considering the difference in terms of pricing it will be difficult for someone to ignore it. The Panigale has its own set of issues, but it just looks smashing & is supposed to handle very well.

However the R1 is still considered as one of the best litre class bikes, on the track. So unless you are planning to take the bike to the track regularly & are okay to buy it without doing on a test ride, there are other options available at much lesser cost.

If you are an experienced biker, you can also buy something more exotic like the MV Agusta F3 800 at around 20 lakhs.
Old 13th December 2017, 08:33   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtheK View Post
Over priced so as to not even touch it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
The day R6 comes into Indian Market is the day i reckon India is moving forward.(Smiles sheepishly knowing there is no absolutely connection but more of wishful thinking)

R6 - Is a beauty. 17-20K RPM of that engine is a delight in every gear
To be honest, for the R6, the max actual rpm is like 16.5K. They had advertised the 17.5K rpm for the 2006 model but had to retract it as it never got there!
They made no changes to the R6 from 2008 to 2016!! 2017 has some new fairings and thats all.

It though is a screamer and a delight to ride at higher rpms

Last edited by JayKis : 13th December 2017 at 08:36.
Old 14th December 2017, 15:47   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I still think it's the best looking Superbike out there. But doesn't the price tag make it obscenely overpriced? This is like 23 - 24 lakhs on the road .
Can't help as Yamaha doesn't seem to believe in setting up an assembly line for their mid-sized or litre-class motorcycles. CBU pricing kills a good product.

Quote:
MT-09 was a disaster for Yamaha. They priced it close to their outgoing FZ1 which was basically R1 in a street fit. Yamaha pricing of R3 itself shows either greed or lack of interest above 250cc in Indian market. I find Yamaha wanting to concentrate only on mass selling segment.
Again, CBU pricing is the culprit. Either, Yamaha needs to set-up an assembly line for CKD operations (the current sales figures wouldn't justify it), or they need to import from Thailand where there is FTA.

Quote:
The day R6 comes into Indian Market is the day i reckon India is moving forward.(Smiles sheepishly knowing there is no absolutely connection but more of wishful thinking)

R6 - Is a beauty. 17-20K RPM of that engine is a delight in every gear
Wishful thinking, indeed! I'm not sure if CBR600RR, R6 or ZX-636R will ever see the light of the day, in India. We don't seem to have a market for such mid-size motorcycles with a peaky power delivery. Most of the buyers in that segment look for sports tourers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vishnuk View Post
In my opinion, for someone looking at a Superbike to drive in the streets, the Ducati 959 Panigale makes a lot of sense. Agree that it's not a litre class bike but neither will it fall in the middle weight category. The Panigale retails at 14.5 Lakhs Ex-Showroom, considering the difference in terms of pricing it will be difficult for someone to ignore it. The Panigale has its own set of issues, but it just looks smashing & is supposed to handle very well.
I believe the more streetable and heavily over-looked Suzuki GSX-S1000, with great ergonomics and a powerful, torquey engine makes a lot of sense for a country like ours, especially, in the F-guise. And the current MY version, has a bump in the power output as well - close to 152 RWHP!
Old 15th December 2017, 09:34   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajaghuru View Post
I believe the more streetable and heavily over-looked Suzuki GSX-S1000, with great ergonomics and a powerful, torquey engine makes a lot of sense for a country like ours, especially, in the F-guise. And the current MY version, has a bump in the power output as well - close to 152 RWHP!
Agreed, the Suzuki GSX - S1000 F makes a lot of sense. But its more of a sports tourer and there are not many bikes in that segment except probably for Kawasaki Ninja 1000 & Ducati Supersport. And the Ninja is a good two lakhs cheaper than the Suzuki and their power & torque figure are pretty similar.

However in my opinion, if someone is in the market looking at the Yamaha R1, they would not be comparing these bikes with it.
Vishnuk is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks