Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports

Search this Thread
Old 5th July 2018, 12:47   #76
BHPian

Re: 2018 Honda CBR650F : Ownership Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoltThrower View Post
I'm attaching below a picture of what's been done. I'll soon be making a video of the difference opening and closing of the valve makes (and what a difference it is) I will also post a step by step job report along with links to the parts ordered. sharing is caring, right?
Very very interesting! Can't wait for you to come back with a detailed post on this mod. A lot of owners in Bangalore would be looking forward to this.

First impression from the video you posted is that the sound is no doubt louder than stock, but it isn't as bassy as an Akra or a Two-brothers exhaust. However, that can be because you are doing high revs. More videos and details might change this impression.

Btw, the first thing I noticed after I jumped onto the dark side (Akra'd ), is that the bottom end torque is definitely lower.. but what's lost on the bottom end is gained in mid and top. So where I'd go ahead with third gear, I'd come down to second to achieve similar acceleration.
Old 5th July 2018, 13:11   #77
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Added_flavor View Post
Very very interesting! Can't wait for you to come back with a detailed post on this mod. A lot of owners in Bangalore would be looking forward to this.

First impression from the video you posted is that the sound is no doubt louder than stock, but it isn't as bassy as an Akra or a Two-brothers exhaust. However, that can be because you are doing high revs. More videos and details might change this impression.
Thanks Added_Flavour! I can attest that at idle it sounds more like a fireblade with a racefit exhaust but don't take my word for it. I'm just leaving from office to go make a video that I can post here with pure sound (no speeding!)

Quote:
Btw, the first thing I noticed after I jumped onto the dark side (Akra'd ), is that the bottom end torque is definitely lower.. but what's lost on the bottom end is gained in mid and top. So where I'd go ahead with third gear, I'd come down to second to achieve similar acceleration.
Absolutely agreed. You put into words my exact thoughts and experience that I was unable to verbalise.
Old 5th July 2018, 13:48   #78
BHPian

Quote:
I'm in Pune this weekend, are you around?
Yes I am! And we are riding down to Kolhapur - Panhala - Masai Plateau on Sunday, 8th July.

We have about 10 - 11 riders traveling. Let me know if you're interested to join?

Cheers,
Amey
Old 5th July 2018, 14:32   #79
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I'm in Pune this weekend, are you around?
Please meet D-BHPian '//M' as well. It would be fun to have a photo with 2 mohawk helmets and with 'Amey Kulkarni' pitching/peeping in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amey Kulkarni View Post
Yes I am!
Old 5th July 2018, 15:19   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Yes I am! And we are riding down to Kolhapur - Panhala - Masai Plateau on Sunday, 8th July.

We have about 10 - 11 riders traveling. Let me know if you're interested to join?

Cheers,
Amey
I'd love to. Are you guys back to Pune on Sunday itself?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukiwa View Post
Please meet D-BHPian '//M' as well. It would be fun to have a photo with 2 mohawk helmets and with 'Amey Kulkarni' pitching/peeping in.
I'll get in touch with //M for sure. We've been planning on a meet for a bit now. Sadly though, I got rid of my helmet mohawk. Got sick of the wind playing hockey with my head at high speeds.
Old 5th July 2018, 16:02   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, by evening! //M is a part of the ride.

@Sukiwa - Why don't you join in?

Cheers,
Amey
Old 5th July 2018, 16:43   #82
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukiwa View Post
Quote:
I'll get in touch with //M for sure. We've been planning on a meet for a bit now. Sadly though, I got rid of my helmet mohawk. Got sick of the wind playing hockey with my head at high speeds.
I got rid of the mohawk as well.

Quote:
Yes we plan to leave at 6 AM and get back by late afternoon.
Old 5th July 2018, 17:49   #83
BHPian

Re: 2018 Honda CBR650F : Exhaust Mod

Right. The exhaust mod. My friend Ganesh is a brilliant Engineer/Rider/Mechanic which is why I trusted him to do this job. All of it was his idea and he toiled for 12 hours to get it done in one go.

Here's the link to the part I ordered:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3-si...ceBeautifyAB=0

The bit with the motor is all that was needed and the big Y pipe went to scrap. He took apart the fairing and only loosened the radiator (as opposed to taking it off completely) to access the header pipes. He then took out the entire exhaust assembly and had a 2 inch dia hole cut into it just before the cat con. Then a custom elbow joint (basically a reducer) was fabricated and welded on. The entire assembly then went back into place (not without a fight) and the wiring was done which was fairly simple. I'm attaching pictures below because I can't figure out how to do the caption thing. We cut off all the extra bits as much as we could to mitigate the ground clearance issue. Best we could manage was still about a 1.5 inch reduction in the bike's GC. Ouch.

I've tried to capture both idling and revving in two separate videos. I apologise in advance for the sound quality. Plan is to use a drone and mic to do some shoots tomorrow so hopefully I can share better content with the forum soon.

Till then,
Cheers and Happy Riding!

Attached Thumbnails
2018 Honda CBR650F : Ownership Review-img20180703wa0003.jpg  

2018 Honda CBR650F : Ownership Review-img20180703wa0005.jpg  

2018 Honda CBR650F : Ownership Review-img20180703wa0006.jpg  

2018 Honda CBR650F : Ownership Review-img20180703124954.jpg  

2018 Honda CBR650F : Ownership Review-img20180703125009.jpg  

2018 Honda CBR650F : Ownership Review-img20180703182053.jpg  

2018 Honda CBR650F : Ownership Review-img20180703211642.jpg  

2018 Honda CBR650F : Ownership Review-img20180705135611.jpg  

2018 Honda CBR650F : Ownership Review-img20180705135618.jpg  

Last edited by BoltThrower : 5th July 2018 at 17:55.
BoltThrower is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 6th July 2018, 10:27   #84
BHPian

Considering the price, it's a VFM mod, although losing (already) precious GC and the thing hanging down below the bike is a bit of an eyesore.

Isn't there any other way it can be mounted?

Also, out of curiosity, in case you decide to remove it, how will the 2-inch dia hole be filled up?

EDIT: I believe this video by RJ was an inspiration for this?

Last edited by Added_flavor : 6th July 2018 at 10:30.
Old 6th July 2018, 11:58   #85
BHPian

Quote:
Considering the price, it's a VFM mod, although losing (already) precious GC and the thing hanging down below the bike is a bit of an eyesore.

===EDIT: I believe this video by RJ was an inspiration for this?
GC loss is a huge unforeseen issue I admit. That's a tactical error on our part. Don't want to open up everything all over again this soon so probably will wait a bit and think hard and long before diving back in to fix the issue.

I believe Ganesh got the idea from doing a similar mod on a couple of maruti gypsys.

Last edited by Jaggu : 6th July 2018 at 12:34. Reason: Trimming. Please avoid Youtube in quotes. Thanks.
Old 6th July 2018, 12:24   #86
BHPian

Quote:
GC loss is a huge unforeseen issue I admit.
The switch with a remote control is astonishing!

Congratulations! The beefy growl is what it misses and now you've done a great job on it!

Have you measured the GC? How much would it be post the Mod in mm?

Cheers,
Amey
Old 6th July 2018, 19:52   #87
BHPian

Quote:

Have you measured the GC? How much would it be post the Mod in mm?

Cheers,
Amey
Thanks Amey! I haven't measured it yet but will do so tomorrow and put it up here. The part RJ has used in the YouTube video posted by Added_Flavor above is also available on AliExpress. Ganesh wasn't familiar with it so we didn't order that but it seems that's a much better fit for motorcycles.
Old 17th July 2018, 13:57   #88
BHPian

So the urge to tiker has taken over :-)

I must admit this looks really clever. But do I hear a bit of misfiring due to reduced header pressure?
Old 5th November 2018, 17:05   #89
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowMan View Post
So the urge to tiker has taken over :-)

I must admit this looks really clever. But do I hear a bit of misfiring due to reduced header pressure?
Sorry for the horrendously late reply Bowman, but yes there was misfiring and the GC loss issue turned out to be a deal breaker so I had the whole thing taken down and went with a slip on exhaust instead. Bit of a cut and slash job, this one too. I feel like the valve timing is being affected in addition to loss of pressure. gonna save up and go in for a full system some time in the near future but for now I'm raking in the cheap thrills with that manic inline 4 howlscreech. Can't wait to ride along side that gorgeous F4 of yours.

Touring Question:
Any CBR owners here who've gone with a top case set up? I'm looking at all the usual suspects - Shad, Givi, Hepco and also this: https://www.treknride.com/trek-n-rid...e/pid-93564123

Also, can't seem to find a fitting rack specific to the CBR. Appreciate any and all help : )

Last edited by BoltThrower : 5th November 2018 at 17:11.
Old 5th November 2018, 18:15   #90
BHPian

Quote:
Sorry for the horrendously late reply Bowman, but yes there was misfiring and the GC loss issue turned out to be a deal breaker so I had the whole thing taken down and went with a slip on exhaust instead. Bit of a cut and slash job, this one too.

Can you post the pics of the mod and the sound that you are getting from the slipon. Will be helpful.

Most Viewed