Team-BHP - 2018 Ducati Monster 821 launch on May 1, 2018. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 9.51 lakhs
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Superbikes & Imports (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/superbikes-imports/)
-   -   2018 Ducati Monster 821 launch on May 1, 2018. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 9.51 lakhs (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/superbikes-imports/198097-2018-ducati-monster-821-launch-may-1-2018-edit-launched-rs-9-51-lakhs.html)

Ducati released a teaser image revealing that the launch of the 2018 Monster 821 has been scheduled for on May 1, 2018. The Monster 821 will be the fourth bike in the Monster range, the others being the 795, 1200 and 1200 S.

2018 Ducati Monster 821 launch on May 1, 2018. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 9.51 lakhs-ducati.jpg

The Monster 821 is built on a tubular steel trellis frame with a 43 mm inverted telescopic fork suspension at the front and an adjustable monoshock at the rear with an aluminium double-sided swingarm. The wheelbase of the bike is 1,480 mm and the minimum seat height is 785 mm. The kerb weight of the bike is 206 kg.

The 2018 Monster 821 borrows its LED headlamp from the 1200. It features a redesigned fuel tank and tail section and comes with a full-colour TFT instrument panel.

Powered the Monster 821 is an 821 cc, twin-cylinder, liquid-cooled engine that delivers 107 BHP @ 9,250 rpm and 86 Nm of torque @ 7,750 rpm. This unit is mated to a 6-speed transmission via a slipper clutch. It has 3 riding modes - Urban, Touring and Sport. Braking is handled by twin 320 mm semi-floating discs with radially mounted 4-piston Brembo calipers at the front and a single 245 mm disc with a 2-piston caliper at the rear. A Bosch ABS unit is offered as standard.

Other features include traction control, Ducati Quick Shift (DQS) and Bluetooth, which is part of the optional Ducati Multimedia Interface.

Link to Team-BHP News

Launcehd at 9.51 Lacs/

https://auto.ndtv.com/news/2018-duca...2-lakh-1845211

The new Ducati Monster 821 has been launched at a price of 9.51 lakhs (ex showroom). The engine is now BS-IV compliant and hence, it loses 2 bhp and now makes 108 bhp at 9,250 rpm and peak torque of 86 NM at 7,750 RPM.

Source: https://www.instagram.com/p/BiO4NCEAG4h/

Should be about 12lacs on road then? To me seems like an introductory price cause it was 11.93lacs OTR in Pune back in 2016. If someone wants a new Monster, this is the price to pick it up at. But still no adjustable front suspension at this price is a shame!!! This would have been a seriously worthy street bike but for the nervous suspension.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nilesh5417 (Post 4394082)
If someone wants a new Monster, this is the price to pick it up at.

Haven't tested one - so curious. How would you rate the Monster against the competition of sport naked machines from other manufacturers? Who is the target rider for this machine?

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR (Post 4394239)
Haven't tested one - so curious. How would you rate the Monster against the competition of sport naked machines from other manufacturers? Who is the target rider for this machine?

I think Ducati should offer more on the Monster if its charging as much as the Striple RS. The upgrades bring some parity but the suspension really should have been adjustable. I can tell you that even on the sweeping flyovers in Pune, i get nervous the way it twitches when the road gets uneven. I havent ridden it like for 100s of kms yet to be precise in describing how it feels but cornering will take some getting used to - it just doesnt seem sure footed.

Who is the target rider for this machine is such a tough question to answer. Honestly, there aren't many naked street bikes available in India. Somehow besides the Monster triplets, MT09 and now probably the GSX750 (half heartedly included in the list), there are none. I won't count the adventure category bikes in this list though they are the only other option (which isn't much besides Versys 650).

So I can answer for myself - i bought it cause it seemed like the perfect everyday bike without looking like a hulk. Just the right amount of power, riding modes to pick how much of it you want, big on safety, beautifully made and usable pillion seat. The L-Twin isn't exactly high on refinement compared to the Japs and the service costs a bomb but this is one bike i would want to ride everyday. And actually I'am :D

The Z900 would still get my vote if you are on a budget but not having the option to ride 2 up was a deal breaker for me. The only other bike i considered seriously was MT-09. But for 12 lacs, it just didn't seem right and would have gone in blind since no option to take a test ride. Did consider the T-120 but i wasn't ready to go retro or cruiser (not yet at least) and price tag was a downer.

So long answer short - target is those who want a light, nimble, ride every day bike. Ducati doesn't have the one key quality japs have and is required in this list - a reasonable cost of ownership. But am willing to find my way out of that so lets see.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nilesh5417 (Post 4395560)
i bought it cause it seemed like the perfect everyday bike without looking like a hulk. Just the right amount of power, riding modes to pick how much of it you want, big on safety, beautifully made and usable pillion seat. The L-Twin isn't exactly high on refinement compared to the Japs and the service costs a bomb but this is one bike i would want to ride everyday. And actually I'am :D

Just curious, how many kms do you ride daily? How does it fare in bumper to bumper traffic? I'm sure it must be an oven especially in the scorching summers. I couldn't even bear the heat from the duke's engine :Frustrati

Quote:

Originally Posted by farhadtarapore (Post 4395592)
Just curious, how many kms do you ride daily? How does it fare in bumper to bumper traffic? I'm sure it must be an oven especially in the scorching summers. I couldn't even bear the heat from the duke's engine :Frustrati

I don't ride it daily - more like twice a week so far. Ride to work and that distance to and fro is about 70kms in total. It does get really hot and the thighs get roasted once in a while. I time my travel to ensure i get empty roads. But i've seen the engine temprature going up to 105 degrees a couple of times in traffic. I Try and slot into neutral or switch off if possible when am in stand still traffic. I think am going to look for a better heat shield. One thing i can tell you though - its not as bad as it was on the Bonnie. I'd a Bonnie with me for 6 months and it was like a barbeque of the unbearable kinds. Though the Bonnie was easier to ride in the traffic.