Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th May 2018, 11:02   #1
BHPian

Harley-Davidson to enter the used bike segment

US-based cult bike manufacturer Harley-Davidson has announced plans to enter the used business segment and was currently piloting the concept in some of its dealerships, a top company official has said.

Some of the company's dealerships were already testing the concept for the last few months, Harley-Davidson India, Managing Director, Peter Mackenzie said. "We are currently piloting it in a few dealerships.

And, we are very close to rolling out the programme, nationally," he told here. Currently, Harley-Davidson has 27 showrooms across the country. The 27th facility was formally unveiled by Mackenzie in the city.

"It (used bike's business) will enable us to attract more customers. Secondly, to enable people, perhaps who cannot afford a new Harley-Davidson, but at least get the right Harley-Davidson experience through an authorised dealership," he said.

link to the story:

https://brandequity.economictimes.in...india/64153776
Lambro is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 15th May 2018, 12:53   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Harley-Davidson to enter the used bike segment

Only logical when you consider how much money premium car showrooms make from pre-owned deals. To an extent, this also helps them control Harley prices in the used market; Mercedes was the master of this when the numbers were limited (no more the case with the sheer volume of cars today).

I see a lot of sparingly used Harley-Davidsons. As a pre-owned machinery fan, such news only makes me happy. It's a win-win for all.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2018, 13:53   #3
Senior - BHPian

They should take a leaf out of Maruti True Value's book and throw in a 1 year warranty too, along with any pre-owned bike that they sell. I am sure it will bring in a lot more footfalls, than a sale with no warranty.

Harley-Davidson to enter the used bike segment-warranty.jpg

Of course, offering and honouring are 2 different things, but probably that's a topic for another thread.

Cheers,
Vikram
comfortablynumb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2018, 15:56   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Good move I would think! These are premium bikes, by and large sparsely used for hobby / recreational driving only. Usually very well maintained.

Not sure to what extend buying a second hand Harley would be frowned upon by those who regard owning a HD as a status symbol and hence second hand is out of the question.

Bully to them I say; leaves more choice for those of us who just like these bikes and would be happy to own and enjoy a second hand Harley at a somewhat more modest price.

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2018, 16:38   #5
Senior - BHPian

I am sure from a sales point of view, this move should work wonders for the brand considering it enjoys a huge following among the 'lifestyle' riders.
Not a fan of the brand or their products but this will enable many first time buyers access to their product line.
I think the Japanese manufacturers need to move on these lines.
bigron is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2018, 17:52   #6
Senior - BHPian

Harley-Davidson to setup used bike business in India

Harley-Davidson is planning to setup a used bike business in India. Peter Mackenzie, Managing Director, Harley-Davidson India has told the media that the bike maker has been testing the concept for the last few months at some of its dealerships. The company would soon roll out its used bike business at all 27 dealerships across India.

Harley-Davidson to enter the used bike segment-streetstreet750marquee.jpg

The move is part of the company's strategy to make the brand more accessible. It is expected to attract more customers to the brand who otherwise couldn't afford a new Harley-Davidson motorcycle.

Harley-Davidson is also expanding its dealer network to around 30 showrooms by the end of this year. The also company plans to open more brand stores in India. Harley-Davidson has already opened three new apparel stores this year and there are plans to launch more in the near future.

Source: Brand Equity

Link to Team-BHP News
TusharK is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th June 2018, 15:10   #7
BHPian

HD entering makes a lot of sense especially when there are buyers who are out to con sellers.

Interesting...

https://m.timesofindia.com/city/gurg...w/64640697.cms

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks