Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports

Search this Thread
Old 23rd May 2018, 16:02   #31
BHPian

Re: Options

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
Options:

Now while I have mentioned a budget of INR10L I do prefer to go preowned and spend about 4-7L for a reliable model
I'm surprised that you haven't considered Indian Scout Bobber or 60.
Any reason why?

Last edited by SDP : 23rd May 2018 at 18:29. Reason: Trimming quoted portion
Lambydude is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2018, 16:32   #32
Senior - BHPian

Re: The safest motorcycle below Rs 10 lakh (pre-owned or new)?

You should consider renting bikes and forget owning one unless you ride often and go on long rides. There are a plenty of rental companies and you can rent most of the sub 10lac bikes. Once you feel you love to ride more and also do find time, consider buying one.
PrideRed is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2018, 21:14   #33
BHPian

Re: Should I even Bike

1. As others have remarked, there is no such thing as a safe bike. The global average statistic for fatalities on bikes is 37 times of four wheelers. There are no comparative numbers available for India, but with the available road fatalities numbers of last few years, we can safely assume that factor to be at least 100.

2. With that out of the way, the second most crucial fact is that safe motorcycling is not a naturally acquired skill which can be gained by just clocking miles on a bike. It takes years of instructor led training and practise before one is declared worthy of riding a >600cc bike in most developed countries.

3. Since it's almost impossible to get road riding safety training in India for any class of bike, IMO your best option would be to start with a 200-300cc category lightweight bike with power not exceeding 25-30 BHP. The choice of bike type also plays a crucial role here and IMO any cc class of cruiser is a very bad choice as a first bike to develop good riding skills. consider a sports bike with a gentle(upright) to medium committed riding position as your starting point.

4. There are several video tutorials and many books on safe riding skills available, most notably the ones by MSF. Gradually work your way up on the cc/weight class and bike type.

If you consider the above points, you will realise that herein lies the biggest problem in your plan:
Quote:
9) Minimum 500CC Bike preferably more than 750CC and 40BHP.
All the best with your 2 wheeled journey. Wish you many many miles of safe and joyous riding!
outofthebox is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2018, 21:35   #34
Senior - BHPian

ACM,

Please check out rebelrides.in the contact person's name is Harsh and his number is +919821324901. The office is located somewhere at Mahim.

Perhaps if you rent a bike from his stable a few times you will be clear on whether you want to continue with biking.

Cheers
Cyborg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2018, 22:13   #35
BHPian

The safest motorcycle below Rs 10 lakh (pre-owned or new)?

I am 49 and just got my license a year ago. I got the triumph street twin as it ticked all the safety boxes and was easy to ride. Keep at least 60 k for safety gear like boots riding pants mesh jacket and a well rated full face helmet. I ride every Saturday and Sunday and loving it. I prefer owning to renting as most rentals are poor on tires etc and owning and riding one bike gives you muscle memory which contributes to confidence and safety. Which city are you in ?

Last edited by gautam99 : 23rd May 2018 at 22:15.
gautam99 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th May 2018, 10:18   #36
Senior - BHPian

Have you tried the versys Range. The bike demands riders like you with the stance it has and the size it brings. Try it once.
2000rpm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th May 2018, 10:23   #37
BHPian

Looking at the stuff you want from your ride and your dislike for changing gears I have a vehicle in mind for you which will tick all the boxes except the price.... the Aprillia SRV 850. Awesome looks all bells and whistles that you want 800+ cc engine but costs 17 big ones. You might try for a pre-owned one though I am not sure if you will find one. Aprillia scooters are slowly but steadily gaining tge market share of scooters especially among the enthusiasts. Check them out.
kchatt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2018, 12:38   #38
BHPian

My only one tip, if you are confused and don’t have an already established riding circle, buy a Harley, basis your budget and you’ll be happy with your decision. Be a HOG and respective chapter will ensure you ride and your bike doesn’t sit in a garage. !!
Alisiddiqui is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2018, 13:29   #39
Team-BHP Support

Hi ACM. Very clearly articulated priorities. Here is my 2 cents.

1. Avoid all Harleys. At the price points you are talking they are absolutely rubbish on the safety quotient. Trust me once you buy a bike you'll find the riding quotient.

2. Avoid the REs. They're again really primitive compared to the kind of options available nowadays even lower down the pricing order. I say this from personal experience having owned a CL 500 a few years ago.

2. Based on your upright seating requirement you're either talking ADVs or cruisers - perhaps some street bikes as well.

I would highly recommend a second hand ADV like the Triumph Tiger XRX - you should be able to get good options in the 10-12 lakh bracket. Don't be fooled by its image - it has a pretty accessible ride height which should be easy for a 6 footer. Not to mention you'll be VERY comfortable and will also suit your build.

The other option i would recommend is the triumph speedmaster - again a bit over 10 lakhs but it sounds lovely - like a proper big bike and you'll find it comfy.

My personal opinion is that ADVs are really the best option for Indian road conditions and given your height some of these would really not be a problem for you to flatfoot. Certainly a tiger XRX. Bikes like the Versys 650 are excellent value but distinctly taller.

Both the Speedmaster and the Tiger will be very comfortable, feel big, facilitate large windshields (very useful for touring) and feel like big bikes. The triumphs segment for segment will certainly feel better built than the comparable Harleys.

Hope this helps.

PS: Where do you cycle? I am a runner and cyclist myself.
Axe77 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 28th May 2018, 12:43   #40
BHPian

Someone already mentioned there is no safe bike out there. You are always at a risk of falling irrespective of all the technologies they put in a bike.
If you already have a fear of falling, I see this is not a good first step.
Coming to the second part, I think since you are unsure of your ride, try to rent the ones you like/inclined to, and see which one suits you the most.
Coming to the last bit, owning or renting when needed? I'd say this is more of an emotional choice than practical, for instance you thinking about picking up a bike itself is an emotional/from heart move. You would never connect so well with a rented bike as you would with a bike you talk to on a daily basis. When I say 'talk to' I mean the engagement you have with it, the maintenance, the lube-ing, the cleaning, the waxing, the oil changes, the puncture repairs. These make you understand your bike way more than a rented bike.
aabhimanyu04 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th May 2018, 16:18   #41
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
1) Requirement number one should be ABS. With your fear of water and falling off - do not even think about options without ABS.

2) Traction control would be another good feature to have. Bikes like the Ninja 1000 (No yoga position needed) have lean sensitive IMU and cornering ABS.

Traction control and ride modes for rain etc help keep the bike safe on the road.

3) Unlikely that you'll get ABS in preowned cruisers though. Harley made it mandatory sometime last year if I remember correctly. All new Harleys have ABS.

4) Same with Triumphs as well. However, I feel the Triumphs would make safer bikes due to Traction control available on their retro range like Street Twin, T100 etc. Even I share the same opinion as you that the Triumph range is better built than Harley, although the latter has higher brand recognition.

5) Skip Hyosung IMO. DSK lost interest in Hyosung

6) You could also look at the Kawasaki Vulcan S if you need a cruiser with a Japanese engine.
ABS is critical Vulcan will be test driven. Hyosung still appeals inspite of all your valid reasons for not considering it, and I do agree with them. Will test out a few Triumphs again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hema4saran View Post
Forget buying an RE.

Since you have almost 5 months time, Please evaluate the models and rethink about your riding plans as well.

But we live only once. So lets enjoy as much as possible. Please consider Kawasaki Vulcan as well in your shortlist. Take back to back test rides and finalize. All the best and keep this thread updated on your outcome. It was a fresh model and being Japanese Cruiser it will be reliable.
Added Vulcan S to the list will do a test drive. YEP ABS is critical, RE is out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_skyliner View Post
If you can stretch the budget a little then go for Triumph Speedmaster. It will fit your requirements perfectly. Has powerful engine and all the safety features like, ABS, traction control, two riding modes, brembo brakes, etc.

It looks great too!
Will Check out the Triumph Speedmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100BHP View Post
Dominor 400 - try it - it will tick most of the boxes - good reliable bike & lot of fun too.
Dominor 400 would not give me the feel good feeling so it is out and I do feel it is bit semi sporty and not what I am looking for. It though is superb value, but not for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VellVector View Post
I think you're best bet is a Harley - keeping in mind all the requirements you listed. Unfortunately for a new bike - not too many of their models will fit in your budget.

In the used market, you can look for a low mileage Dyna that may fit into your budget. But be careful, many bikes in this category reach the used market after being abused.
If I can find a good condition Harley from the New 10-20L segment in the 7-8L preowned price point I will consider it provided it has ABS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Your BEST bet is the Kawasaki Vulcan S 650. Available *new* for under 7 Lakhs.

Easy to run, Low seat height, Japanese reliability, Good customer service at Mumbai, cheap consumable spares available apart from OEM, bullet proof 650 cc engine which will give you 100k kms without a sweat.

The only other option I would suggest is the new Triumph Street Twin or the T100, but both are pricey new. Grin on the face? Undoubtedly.
Yep will check out the Vulcan S - many have given this feedback.
Will also check out the Triumph range again with a more open mind.

Last edited by ACM : 28th May 2018 at 16:21.
Old 28th May 2018, 23:56   #42
Team-BHP Support

I have one gripe with the Vulcan. The parallel twin engine note just does NOT suit a cruiser.

ACM - a friend of mine might be selling his Harley Breakout. Beautifully maintained and will come with safety features too since it's high end. Google and check the bike out and PM me if interested. Bike located in Mumbai with a Mumbai plate. First owner. It might be a bit TOO much of a bike though for someone just starting out. Which is why I feel the triumph speedmaster fits you much better. That 1200 has an awesome growl befitting a cruiser. The Tiger XRX of course is ideal if it catches your fancy.

Last edited by Axe77 : 28th May 2018 at 23:57.
Axe77 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2018, 01:23   #43
BHPian

Eyes closed the Honda CBR 650F. Esp the Matte Black edition.
Old 29th May 2018, 01:54   #44
BHPian

Triumph Bobber?

Got the low cruiser stance, the modern tech, the old skool looks & it's a Triumph, so will handle and stop a league ahead of a Harley.
Rob UK is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th May 2018, 12:13   #45
BHPian

Quote:

If I can find a good condition Harley from the New 10-20L segment in the 7-8L preowned price point I will consider it provided it has ABS.
Check out the Custom 1200 in the Harley stable. Has a good cruiser stance. Has ABS. Will tick most of your requirements.
infinitewheel is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed