Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd June 2018, 00:12   #76
Team-BHP Support

The safest motorcycle below Rs 10 lakh (pre-owned or new)?

Vulcan - my only gripe is that parallel twin sound just does not cut it on a cruiser. Then the versys in that price band is anyday better - if you feel that uncomfortable about the height try putting a lowering kit which should make it better. It is really cheap.

For the price you would pay for a fat bob etc the tiger XRX would be a no brainer - any day!! Easy everyday bike with super cruising potential.

Buying a Harley is like a subscription to buying endless accessories. Before the thing is usable.

"Great bike - I have only had to change petrol tank lid to lockable one, upgrade suspension, change to a different more comfy seat, put Vance and Hines blah blah blah .... now that I have spent about 30% of what I spent on the bike it is no longer that bad". :-D. And still getting a primitive machine.

Last edited by Axe77 : 23rd June 2018 at 00:15.
Axe77 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2018, 13:42   #77
BHPian

Re: The safest motorcycle below Rs 10 lakh (pre-owned or new)?

I think Rocket III Roadster fits the bill!
Capt. Shyam is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th July 2018, 20:12   #78
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Shyam View Post
I think Rocket III Roadster fits the bill!
Thanks, That though would have to be preowned for me. Any specific reason for suggesting why this meets my needs better?
Old 31st July 2018, 11:51   #79
BHPian

As soon as I watched this video, I was reminded of this thread. I've posted here as a Triumph fan boy, but it's best to hear it from this one:

His history and access to all sorts of vehicles (stemming from both his wealth and position), make him one of my favourite sources for all things automotive. And when it's machines we have the chance to experience ourselves on a daily basis, it's even better. So naturally I had to share this.

Cheers!

Edit:
P.S. Did you make your choice yet?

Last edited by Mu009 : 31st July 2018 at 11:52. Reason: Explained above
Mu009 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2018, 11:22   #80
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mu009 View Post
As soon as I watched this video, I was reminded of this thread.

Edit:
P.S. Did you make your choice yet?
I shortlisted the following (In no particular order) and would hope to decide in the next 3 months: I either wish to spend low and replace with a longer term vehicle after at the most 1 year or spend higher and get something that I keep for at least 3 years.

1) Kawasaki Versys 650 - Worries are height (a bit), dullness of vehicle, good at everything, excellent at nothing. Expecting the 2019 MY model to be released later this year with significant improvements.

2) Kawasaki Vulcan S - Worries are ground clearance, and forward seating position impact on tail bone for long rides. Dullness as a cruiser?

3) Triumph Speedmaster - Does not look impressive in size for the price. comfortable and has a lot of features. Triumph service stories are not that great.

4) Harley Street Rod (NOT street 750) - Loved it but major negatives as well. a) The heat when stopped. b) The ergonomics of knees pointing higher than the hip. No solution to this. c) The handle bar is a quick, cheap and easy fix that may also not be required. So can consider this for shorter rides. Superb / Best in class ground clearance, much improved finish over the previous street, boring instrumentation, good finish, HD brand.

5) Preowned HD Fatboy - Only preowned fits my budget, Ground clearance will be an issue.

6) Preowned Hyosung ST7- Dirt cheap - Use for 3-6 months and dispose of after trying my hands at a cruiser. Temporary time pass till I figure out if it is a semi-sport adventure tourer that I seek or a cruiser.

7) Africa Twin: If I stretch to say 14L, the DCT gearbox on the Africa twin is what I would look for.

Agree the list is longer now than at the start. But that is typical me. No single bike is meeting my original requirements within my original budgets and as I try out more and more bikes the more confused I have been getting. Original plan of just short midnight and weekend rides is itself being questioned.

Lots of stories of Cruiser guys moving on to the Adventure touring segment of Fatboys & Thunderbirds being replaced by Tigers and their like.

It's more about me figuring out what I myself want to do on a bike more than anything else.
Attached Thumbnails
The safest motorcycle below Rs 10 lakh (pre-owned or new)?-20180808_113505.jpg  

The safest motorcycle below Rs 10 lakh (pre-owned or new)?-20180804_201630.jpg  

The safest motorcycle below Rs 10 lakh (pre-owned or new)?-20180804_200409.jpg  

The safest motorcycle below Rs 10 lakh (pre-owned or new)?-20180804_200443.jpg  

The safest motorcycle below Rs 10 lakh (pre-owned or new)?-20180804_200933.jpg  

The safest motorcycle below Rs 10 lakh (pre-owned or new)?-20180804_200634.jpg  

Last edited by ACM : 8th August 2018 at 11:44.
ACM is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th August 2018, 12:00   #81
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Hello ACM, Since you have 3 months to finalize on the bike, I would suggest to rent the bikes that you have shortlisted on the weekends. I believe Rebelrides.in will have a few superbikes too which you can rent. You can also try and request Triumph to invite you to one of their weekend rides - and you can try out the Speedmaster - it really suits you. Cruiser bikes are good too - but most of them come with a low ground clearance which is a huge problem on our roads. With a pillion and luggage it gets worse - and that's what I believe is the main reason cruiser owners are moving to Adv bikes.

The Versys is a good overall bike - good at everything - excellent for its suspension and comfort. If height is a problem, you could get a lowering kit fitted. Since you are waiting for 3 months - the Suzuki VStrom can also be shortlisted.

All the best to you! But yes, do rent out bikes on weekends - it will help you make the right decision.
Old 8th August 2018, 12:05   #82
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
Expecting the 2019 MY model to be released later this year with significant improvements.
The current generation was introduced in September 2014 at Intermot as an MY2015 bike. So I feel the significant update will happen only by end 2019 either at Intermot or EICMA shows as an MY2020 bike.

I'm hoping they revamp the Versys 1000 this year. That bike looks seriously outdated in 2018 and needs a thorough revamp like the one N1000 received. The underlying package however - the combination of brilliant touring comfort + Inline4 sportiness remains a dream one for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
7) Africa Twin: If I stretch to say 14L, the DCT gearbox on the Africa twin is what I would look for.
None of the above bikes seem to be really suiting your frame, except the Speedmaster - but the riding posture doesn't look very natural in that pic - not sure why. Given your budget can afford more choices - I doubt you'll be all that happy in the long run. In that sense, Africa Twin might make a perfect ride - but it might be a bit more dull (Most of the times thats a good thing) than the Versys.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 8th August 2018 at 12:06.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2018, 17:16   #83
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
I'm hoping they revamp the Versys 1000 this year. That bike looks seriously outdated in 2018 and needs a thorough revamp like the one N1000 received.

None of the above bikes seem to be really suiting your frame, except the Speedmaster - but the riding posture doesn't look very natural in that pic - not sure why. Given your budget can afford more choices - I doubt you'll be all that happy in the long run. In that sense, Africa Twin might make a perfect ride - but it might be a bit more dull (Most of the times thats a good thing) than the Versys.
Exactly. Maybe the Versys 1000 might also get a significant price revision too if it is reintroduced.

Yep I just don't fit in any of these. Elephant on a horse feeling. Fatboy did fit quite well, and the Versys did hide a bit of me.
Old 8th August 2018, 19:44   #84
Senior - BHPian

Have you tried taking a test ride of Ducati Multistrada 950 ? Its a wonderful machine - and might suit your requirments. Ducati is almost running a discount on it as well.
ethanhunt123 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks