Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd May 2018, 16:11   #16
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The safest motorcycle below Rs 10 lakh (pre-owned or new)?

If you are only keen on cruisers, the Triumph Thunderbird Storm makes a very strong case. You will find used options around 10 L.

I have had a chance to ride the Thunderbird Storm and the older Harley Fatbob back to back, the Thunderbird Storm easily felt a class apart. The quality levels were much better too.
//M is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2018, 17:40   #17
Senior - BHPian

My 2 cents on your requirement, which incidentally matches my requirement to some extent.

Wait for a few days for the ABS equipped Thunderbird 500 to arrive.
It has generous torque to keep one happy in Indian conditions.
And the ABS will prevent the falls in sudden dogs/cows/sand scenarios, due to panic braking.

Secondly, The Thunderbird 500 is usable below 90Kmph, hence your likelihood to having a high speed crash is less.
Above 90-100Kmph is possible, but prolonged exposure to the vibrations can cause more detrimental effect, than a crash altogether.
abhishek46 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2018, 18:11   #18
BHPian

Was in a similar dilemma a couple of months back. The only difference between the two of us is I'm slightly less heavy at 105Kgs and a decade younger. I had test ridden a lot of the options that you suggested and finally bought the Vulcan S a couple of months back. It's been really comfortable and enjoyable experience. The only downside has been the ground clearance where you have to be slow over sharp speed-breakers. However, I've adjusted the rear mono-shock to a stiffer setup and that has made things better.

You should test ride the Vulcan S for a few kms, not those small ones they give around the showroom.
Shome is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2018, 19:41   #19
BHPian

Re: Options

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
Options:

Triumph? Which model? (Only Cruisers) It has been getting confusing with new latest models not exactly replacing the previous models.
Brand is not at the Harley level, but quality actually seems better.
Bikes all feel better than Harley in each sub segment.
Bikes don't look as impressive as the Harleys but are more comfortable to ride.
I think your analysis is correct. Triumphs feel better than Harleys so if it was a toss up between the two, I would buy a Triumph.

If you like cruisers, then you would like the modern classic lineup from Triumph. From that, my pick would either be the T100 or the Scrambler. You might look too big on a Street Twin. If you can go over the 10L budget, the T120 will top the list as the extra power will suit your build and weight.

I wouldn't buy the Thunderbird Storm. It's too big, it's too heavy and it's not practical on anything other than smooth and wide roads. Of course, people have gone to Ladakh on them but that's not what they are built for.

The recommendation of the Vulcan is a solid one. But there is an issue with the Kawasaki. The engine while being a solid, smooth and powerful unit doesn't sound good stock. Sounds pretty bad even with aftermarket exhausts. For me, personally, that was a deal breaker as a great engine note is a must to enjoy the ride. It might also might feel underpowered to you.

Now, if I personally had to pick a motorcycle amongst all the clutter, it would be the Tiger. I own a 2015 Bonneville A3. I have extensively ridden all of the bikes above (a benefit of group rides with fellow Triumph riders). Nothing comes remotely close to touring on the big cat. Of the two, I would pick the XCX for that incredible WP suspension. Nothing fazes that bike. Given that you are tall, you should be able to flat foot it. The Tiger wears all of its weight up top. It takes a couple of days to adjust to it but I don't think it will be a problem for you.

The only issue is the price which is significantly beyond your budget. So you could get the Versys which is great value for money but it has that Kawasaki engine note. It's a hard decision
ranjitnair77 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2018, 20:39   #20

The new thane showroom of Kawasaki is giving longer test rides to get a good feel of the Vulcan. Can add a acrapovic exhaust to get a better soundtrack. Just my 2 cents...
Vikram Adani is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2018, 20:41   #21
BHPian

Hey Bud. There are so many shiny bits to choose from. And eventually i am sure you will make up you mind on something that suits you the best.

But in the meantime, i would strongly urge you to join a good riding school. There are quite a few options available now and i think it would help you tremendously. The less intimidated you are on the bike the better you are as a rider.
These schools will help build the confidence you need.

Some options that i know of, (in no order of preference)
http://indimotard.com/
http://www.apexracing.in/
http://racr.in/
http://www.superbikeschoolindia.com/css-india.html

Hope this helps you. Cheers!!
Odeen12 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2018, 21:33   #22
NIP
Senior - BHPian

My 2 paise. If you’re looking for sheer riding pleasure, go for a triumph. The T120 might be the choice if you’re looking for a cruiser. No other bike has these levels of refinement, not to mention the sweet exhaust notes which will pull at your heart strings.

I am a proud owner of a Tiger XRX that I picked up last week. It’s a league apart from anything mentioned above.

Please take test rides, and you will believe.
NIP is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2018, 00:01   #23
Senior - BHPian

Wait for the RE 650 twins. You get a new one that wont break the bank, will ride 2 up, should make you look good, reasonable power to take you where you want to go and give you access to host of riding buddies/events to make you want to ride!

Should be in by Diwali time and under 4lacs OTR. Given that your are returning to motorcycles after a while, i suggest you spend low, ride more and then upgrade to larger machines.
Nilesh5417 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2018, 10:13   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Since you have your requirements laid out well, my suggestion is just go out there with an open mind and test ride the bikes that fit into your budget. You will be surprised to find that you dont connect with some bikes that on paper you might have felt was best for you whereas you really will love some others which may not fit into your stated requirements at all.

In my case, while doing all my research, I felt the Triple RS was the perfect bike for me with great ergos, a punchy engine, wonderful single finger braking but I found the suspension to be too hard even after adjusting it and I just couldnt connect with the bike. On the other hand, the Panigale 959 roasted my thighs and didnt have great ergos but wow, the test rides bowled me over and I almost bought it.
Old 23rd May 2018, 10:39   #25
BHPian

ACM: Mainly focusing on your 6' frame, 90-100kmph, ~40+Bhp, less gear shifting, upright stance/cruiser oriented, VFM, <10L, no commuter, 'short', safety requirements --> Bonneville T100/Street Twin or Vulcan.

Budget permitting, additional contenders are T120 or Speedmaster which are also great machines but are heavier/faster and will relatively consume more fuel. IMO, any bike from RE, a sub 10L HD, Hyosung just can't match the simplicity & overall refinement of Bonnie or perhaps Vulcan (i haven't test ridden this one).

When I was in such paradox of choice, test riding Triumphs just blew away other options and any pragmatic logic the head was trying to push. Just get yourself astride on the test rides and 'that' one will connect.

Last edited by wangdu : 23rd May 2018 at 10:43. Reason: typos
Old 23rd May 2018, 11:58   #26
BHPian

I would agree with Red Liner - you can check out for Kawasaki.

However, I would suggest against Vulcan S - you can go for Versys 650 since you are 6 feet tall - Versys is ideal tourer for you. Very comfortable seating posture you can do 200-400 kms at a stretch with no fatigue.

Versys 650 has more power, light weight, better features as compare to vulcan S. ABS as standard, adjustable suspension, upside down fork, bigger fuel tank, 2 set of discs.

And if you would not have mentioned budget below 10 lacs I would have suggested Ducati Multistrada.

But humble opinion is to visit Kawasaki show-room and take a test drive of kawasaki bikes. Kawasaki also do some events where you can test drive on highway's.
NickKohl123 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2018, 12:13   #27
BHPian

Quite an extensive list of requirements there!

While I notice suggestions on a lot of brands and bikes in the above posts, I am surprised nobody's mentioned a Honda Africa Twin DCT!

That is the only bike that meets all your requirements except the budget!
  • It's an automatic (DCT),
  • Has a relatively shorter seat height in its segment (surely no issue for a 6 footer)
  • Is very well balanced in spite of being heavy, so you don't really feel the weight while riding.
  • You have many options to add panniers and top boxes for utility.
  • Highest ground clearance in the segment.
  • Legendary Honda reliability and segment lowest after-sales service costs.

IMO, if you can either work around your budget, or manage to find a pre-owned bike, the Africa Twin is the best bike for your requirements!
Added_flavor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2018, 12:46   #28
BHPian

Something that might help further and for other riders as well.

Cheers!
Attached Thumbnails
The safest motorcycle below Rs 10 lakh (pre-owned or new)?-motorcycle-basics.jpg  

Odeen12 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2018, 12:50   #29

Quote:
Motorbikes & Bicycles = Falling off and breaking a few bones.
So what is the safest solution
---
I weigh 125kgs +++ So Biking has higher risks for me if whenever I fall.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hii ACM! i am thinking of going for a proper test ride of the versys 650 on sunday to Thane (99%). PM me if interested to go together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilesh5417 View Post
Wait for the RE 650 twins. You get a new one that wont break the bank, will ride 2 up, should make you look good, reasonable power to take you where you want to go and give you access to host of riding buddies/events to make you want to ride!

Should be in by Diwali time and under 4lacs OTR. Given that your are returning to motorcycles after a while, i suggest you spend low, ride more and then upgrade to larger machines.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes, the 650 RE should be comfortable and looks decent as well, and should be well prices. But based on history of owning a thunderbird 500, which were bought new 4 years ago and sold 2 years ago, in those 2 years of ownership, almost every alternate month there was minor niggle, issue with battery (thrice in 2 years), brake issues and rattling issues. Even though no major engine trouble. So dint spend much on it, but its irritating to keep running to fix things everynow and then. I can't understand how the battery can die in a 7 month old (new bike inspite of regular use and service. So cant compare with the japs build quality as such a versys or vulcan might be more expensive to buy initially, but should have better peace of mind over a long term and of course smooth revving engine.

Mod Note: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

To know how to multi-quote, click here.

Also please avoid typing with excessive dots.........like................this.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 6th June 2018 at 16:53.
Vikram Adani is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2018, 16:00   #30
BHPian

Quote:
So what is the safest solution
Don't forget the weight!

All things being the same, a lighter bike will be a safer bike.

I have seen so many falls just because the riders cant control the weight of the bike at slower speeds/standstill.
nishsingh is online now   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks