Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd July 2018, 09:43   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Honda Africa Twin - Ownership Review

Hey Naveen :

Finally your thread is up and running. Congratulations

That is indeed a wonderful choice and I like the AT in this color than other color it comes in Blue & White which doesn't go too well with it's overall character

That was some quandary you were in before honing on to the AT...LOL!

Can you throw some more light on how it takes corners assuming the front wheels are 19" or 20"?

Normally the best wheel size for road based riding is 17" but, would love to hear a detailed feedback as you develop confidence and attack corners as handling is most important aspect in my personal choice of selection of a motorcycle

Also, please share how is the performance in detail. I mean you did mention it develops power linearly but, is this an engine that likes being pushed?

I saw quite a few almost brand new AT's (2017 & 2016) on Craigslist for $7-$8K with just 2000-3000 miles on them with full equipment. Why you didn't choose to go that route?

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
It was hard. I initially decided on the Versys 650. I even contacted Mobike008 here - he has a wonderful ownership thread on his Versys - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/superb...000-km-up.html. I looked at used machines, knowing that you get wonderful deals for used stuff in this country. But a honest thought crept in - will I be able to blast past distracted cagers on the freeways? Many told me that yes, you can on the Versys.
Thanks for the appreciation. You wouldn't have gone wrong with Versys 650 either as it has enough grunt to manage the US freeways

But, you did the right thing as i too would have done the same if i were in your shoes. Bikes are so cheap out there that I would kick myself if I choose a 650cc over liter class bike

Enjoy and keep sharing your biking escapades

Last edited by mobike008 : 3rd July 2018 at 09:44.
mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2018, 15:22   #17
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Naveen! What a lovely choice. She sure looks beautiful. Wishing you many wonderful miles on the AT! Expecting frequent updates on the thread!
man_of_steel is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2018, 06:18   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
That is indeed a wonderful choice and I like the AT in this color than other color it comes in Blue & White which doesn't go too well with it's overall character

That was some quandary you were in before honing on to the AT...LOL!

Can you throw some more light on how it takes corners assuming the front wheels are 19" or 20"?

Normally the best wheel size for road based riding is 17" but, would love to hear a detailed feedback as you develop confidence and attack corners as handling is most important aspect in my personal choice of selection of a motorcycle

Also, please share how is the performance in detail. I mean you did mention it develops power linearly but, is this an engine that likes being pushed?

I saw quite a few almost brand new AT's (2017 & 2016) on Craigslist for $7-$8K with just 2000-3000 miles on them with full equipment. Why you didn't choose to go that route?

Thanks for the appreciation. You wouldn't have gone wrong with Versys 650 either as it has enough grunt to manage the US freeways

But, you did the right thing as i too would have done the same if i were in your shoes. Bikes are so cheap out there that I would kick myself if I choose a 650cc over liter class bike

Enjoy and keep sharing your biking escapades
Thanks a lot for stopping by. I'll try and answer your queries in order:

Yes, I love this colour more than the blue and white. The front is a 90/90-21. IMHO, with the very little riding that I have done with it, it takes corners confidently. I last rode a CBR 250R - and TBH, this bike gives me even more confidence when taking curves. But I will update this as I go along and I get more riding put in.

I really haven't opened up the throttle yet but yes, this bike likes to be pushed. 70~80 mph was an easy reach. There was easily more power left.

Didn't want to go Craiglist. Buying anything off Craigslist here is considered a big no no. I have bought stuff though and not been burnt. But I wasn't confident buying a motorcycle on Craigslist at all. I was more interested in used bikes through ADVRider. Had many things I have bought off the members there and not one issue. I did get some decent deals but nothing lesser than 10k.

Yup, true about the Versys but once the finance minister ok'd the new Africa Twin, there was no turning back LOL. And like you said, it is comparitively cheaper buying a liter bike! Thanks and will surely update this thread as I munch more miles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_of_steel View Post
Congrats Naveen! What a lovely choice. She sure looks beautiful. Wishing you many wonderful miles on the AT! Expecting frequent updates on the thread!
Thanks, will surely try and put in as many updates as I can...
naveenroy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th July 2018, 09:32   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, I love this colour more than the blue and white. The front is a 90/90-21. IMHO, with the very little riding that I have done with it, it takes corners confidently. I last rode a CBR 250R - and TBH, this bike gives me even more confidence when taking curves. But I will update this as I go along and I get more riding put in.
That's nice to know. Reason I'm asking is if I ride a Versys vs. Tiger with such a big difference in front wheel size, I felt it wasn't as nimble as the Versys and this I know is purely due to 17" front wheel size

There is a thought embedded in my mind that 17" front wheels are best for road touring bikes as they change directions and handle so nimble which is the real pleasure of riding a motorcycle

But, I reckon it is just a matter of getting used to a large size front wheel

Quote:
I really haven't opened up the throttle yet but yes, this bike likes to be pushed. 70~80 mph was an easy reach. There was easily more power left.
That sounds interesting. Look forward to more update on the power front when your run-in is completed

Quote:
Didn't want to go Craiglist. Buying anything off Craigslist here is considered a big no no. I have bought stuff though and not been burnt. But I wasn't confident buying a motorcycle on Craigslist at all. I was more interested in used bikes through ADVRider. Had many things I have bought off the members there and not one issue. I did get some decent deals but nothing lesser than 10k.
When I was in US, I bought and sold tonnes of stuff on Craiglist. You just need to make sure with whom you deal with and preferably from same state and deal always to be done in-person. As long as you follow these basic rules, you'll be just fine

I'm waiting for some pictures of rides on the back-roads of GA
Old 5th July 2018, 21:12   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post

But, I reckon it is just a matter of getting used to a large size front wheel

When I was in US, I bought and sold tonnes of stuff on Craiglist. You just need to make sure with whom you deal with and preferably from same state and deal always to be done in-person. As long as you follow these basic rules, you'll be just fine

I'm waiting for some pictures of rides on the back-roads of GA
Haha, yes I am sure it is about getting used to the large front wheel.

Well, about CL - have bought stuff off it and other similar sites too. Some really wonderful stuff for really, really good prices. But a motorcycle on CL - no, no, no for me.
Old 6th July 2018, 00:15   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GutsyGibbon View Post

Good you stayed away from the Ducati. (Ducati - Making mechanics out of riders since 1926).

I second Gutsy on this. The dealer charges a kidney each time around, and you have to look for another source. Most regular maintenance can be done by a non dealer mechanic, but engine related the options gets limited. I have to look for a place which will do my valves in two years time.

Quote:
Well, about CL - have bought stuff off it and other similar sites too. Some really wonderful stuff for really, really good prices. But a motorcycle on CL - no, no, no for me.

Bought my bike off CL and have not regretted. Look at who is selling the item and then ensure you have a fair talk about it. You will find a lot of gems on CL as its the most popular source.

Hope you have many miles and thats a gorgeous looking bike. Any reason the Tiger or the BMW was not considered or was lower in the list?

Maddy
maddy42 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2018, 12:39   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
If we can buy a car from OLX/CL why cant we buy a motorcycle from CL?

I think it all depends on our personal risk appetites. I personally have a huge risk taking appetite as I believe they are rewarding if it pays off

If you had trusted CL, you could have saved 4 grand to buy a small dirt bike for true offroading adventures
Old 25th July 2018, 19:59   #23
BHPian

Thanks for the review it was very insightful. Did you try out the DCT before buying the manual? In India only the dct option is available so basically Honda has decided what you need to buy i loved the TD and am in line to pick it up
davids4x4mm550 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2018, 04:31   #24
Senior - BHPian

A minor update. Bike has finally crossed 550 miles. I am happy with this machine! Me and the wife did a 200 mile 2 weeks back and it was great! Well, the 200 mile turned out to be a 320 mile ride actually. 60 miles into the ride, I got a feeling that I had forgotten my wallet at home. Turned out to be right so we returned home to get it and rode back. Wasted some time there but I am glad my wife was able to manage it. The bike has awesome grunt to it - I was easily able to keep good pace and even kept a 90 mph stretch at some time. It barely had a problem even at that pace!

I also made some adjustments to the front suspension - did some adjustments and the front end dive isn't so pronounced now. And in anticipation of the first service, I bought the center stand and fixed it myself. I wasn't ready to shell out like $50 just to fit the stand! My wife helped me here too - couldn't have done it alone. Bought some tools for it too - a good pair of mechanic gloves, snap ring pliers, a brake spring tool. Man, that spring is a pain to pull and snap on! Wow, it took me a mammoth effort to pull it back and snap in place. I am glad that we got it done though. Now, I can do chain cleaning/lubing and maybe even the first service myself. Labour is costly! Here are some pics

Honda Africa Twin - Ownership Review-img_20180811_173910.jpg
Honda Africa Twin - Ownership Review-img_20180811_173931.jpg
Honda Africa Twin - Ownership Review-img_20180811_173956.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by davids4x4mm550 View Post
Thanks for the review it was very insightful. Did you try out the DCT before buying the manual? In India only the dct option is available so basically Honda has decided what you need to buy i loved the TD and am in line to pick it up
Hey David - sorry for the late reply. Wonderful to know that you are picking up the DCT! No, no test rides. They don't give test rides for the Honda. At least in all the places I asked. But like I had posted up, I didn't even want the test ride. I was sold on this bike. And yes, I have only heard good things about the DCT, so you can close your eyes and buy it. How much is it on road there? Oh and another thing, if you can get the 2018 version, get it. Also, check advrider - there are wonderful threads there on the AT. Good luck and post up once you get the machine!

And the stand isn't OEM. I bought it elsewhere for a lesser price. Worth it!

Last edited by naveenroy : 12th August 2018 at 04:42.
naveenroy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th August 2018, 00:25   #25
BHPian

Quote:

Hey David - sorry for the late reply. Wonderful to know that you are picking up the DCT! No, no test rides. They don't give test rides for the Honda. At least in all the places I asked. But like I had posted up, I didn't even want the test ride. I was sold on this bike. And yes, I have only heard good things about the DCT, so you can close your eyes and buy it. How much is it on road there? Oh and another thing, if you can get the 2018 version, get it. Also, check advrider - there are wonderful threads there on the AT. Good luck and post up once you get the machine!

And the stand isn't OEM. I bought it elsewhere for a lesser price. Worth it!
Well i was lucky then considering wing world Mumbai let me test ride their 2017 DCT bike and must say it was a comprehensive test ride, the sales guy Joy was a really nice guy and took me thru all the options ride modes etc and encouraged me to push the bike and test everything.
On road here in Pune it is 15.30L and it is the 2018 models, they have got only 50 bikes down so hopefully the deal on my Harley closes soon and i can move onto the Honda before they sell out. Fingers crossed.

Thanks will check advrider out.

All the best with your machine.
davids4x4mm550 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th August 2018, 00:52   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by davids4x4mm550 View Post
Well i was lucky then considering wing world Mumbai let me test ride their 2017 DCT bike and must say it was a comprehensive test ride, the sales guy Joy was a really nice guy and took me thru all the options ride modes etc and encouraged me to push the bike and test everything.
When did you get to test it? I've been in touch with Joy and he told me the bike would be available to test only on the 20th. I've been keen on putting my money down for this bike for a while now but haven't been pushed over cause I haven't tested a DCT yet and no idea if I'll even be comfortable on it.
Old 14th August 2018, 01:48   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkbait View Post
When did you get to test it? I've been in touch with Joy and he told me the bike would be available to test only on the 20th. I've been keen on putting my money down for this bike for a while now but haven't been pushed over cause I haven't tested a DCT yet and no idea if I'll even be comfortable on it.
I test rode the 2017 model in March 2018 i guess hes referring to the newer 2018 model. Ask him for the TD on the older model (if they still have it) you will get the feel of the DCT its fun-tastic ...
Old 18th August 2018, 23:07   #28
BHPian

Maybe this has been discussed earlier, but a friend picked up an Africa twin last Friday and this is what he paid for it in mumbai
13.20 EX showroom
15.43 OTR
Thanks
Hammer & Anvil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2018, 04:54   #29
Senior - BHPian

Got a nice tankpad and just put it on the tank. Already got some minor scratches though.
Attached Thumbnails
Honda Africa Twin - Ownership Review-1535412231019.jpg  

Old 29th August 2018, 14:40   #30
BHPian

Had a chance to ride the bike and must say it is quite impressive.

The most important thing, I could reach the ground . Seriously most of the adventure bikes are quite literally out of reach for shorter riders, this one however, not so. It goes a long way in making your ride more comfortable without having to worry about what angles the ground is at when you are coming to a stop.

The dct is interesting. I think for people who have been riding a long time, it is the unfamiliarity which is uncomfortable. I kept getting distracted by the lack of a lever for my finger to rest on. That apart it is really nice. You can go into "manual" mode and the upshifts and down shifts when hitting the buttons are quite prompt and seamless. Where you need hard braking and changes in direction I don't think you can avoid the manual mode. On the auto mode hard braking was quite vague, in the sense that I was not comfortable on whether I would stop in time simply because of the engine feel.

Cruising though was a breeze on the automatic. It's like sitting on a really comfortable sofa and going, well, quite fast . It handles beautifully and it is quite light, or rather feels quite light compared to the tiger or the multi strada when riding. You will not feel a thing on the road and you could really go long distances without a break.

All in all a well rounded bike, looks good and sounds very nice.
Caramba is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks