Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd July 2018, 14:58   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

The Suzuki V-Strom 650XT, now launched at Rs 7.46 lakhs

Suzuki V-Strom 650 XT to be launched in India in early September.

Link
volkman10 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2018, 20:11   #2
Team-BHP Support

re: The Suzuki V-Strom 650XT, now launched at Rs 7.46 lakhs

Suzuki V-Strom 650 XT to be launched in India in early September - Post moved to a new thread.
Aditya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2018, 17:59   #3
BHPian

This is excellent news. Good timing too.
I can also confirm the news considering I got a call regarding the same info earlier yesterday as well.
Lots of good reviews for this bike from all over. They all seem to unanimously agree that this 2017-18 version is more refined with its overall setup and definitely is a great purchase.

In my opinion, if this comes in sub 9L OTR, then it's a definite winner. Standard ADV Tourer looks and a good pedigree to follow. I'd pick this over the Versys for sure. The wheelbase and the bigger Pulsar thingy just doesn't work for me with the V. Can't wait for more info. Excite
Old 24th July 2018, 18:21   #4
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkbait View Post
In my opinion, if this comes in sub 9L OTR, then it's a definite winner.
Problem with Suzuki is that all these launches happen only on paper - the dealers are not interested in selling these bikes, nor do the company promote it post launch. Only the Hayabusa sells around 10 - 20 units per month across the country, without any TD or marketing - purely based on the brand it has created for itself post the 'Dhoom' movies.

Take the GSX-S750 for example - looked very competitive when it was launched back in April. However - yet to see a single one out on the roads, here in Bangalore.

Anyways, good to see more options flowing into the market. The adventure segment especially is best suited for our road conditions and deserves more sales.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2018, 09:17   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Problem with Suzuki is that all these launches happen only on paper - the dealers are not interested in selling these bikes, nor do the company promote it post launch. Only the Hayabusa sells around 10 - 20 units per month across the country, without any TD or marketing - purely based on the brand it has created for itself post the 'Dhoom' movies.

Take the GSX-S750 for example - looked very competitive when it was launched back in April. However - yet to see a single one out on the roads, here in Bangalore.

Anyways, good to see more options flowing into the market. The adventure segment especially is best suited for our road conditions and deserves more sales.
From all the posts I've been reading here on the forums, the adv tourer market is quite ripe. Everyone is looking for a motorbike that has adequate performance at a price point that's not intrusive. Case in point the KTM 390 Adventure that everyone is looking forward to. If they had priced the 310gs inline with the Dukes or there about, I am sure there would have been a longer line of people waiting to get their hands on the bike. Bumping upto the middleweight category, the 750 and 850GS and the Tiger 800's are seriously overpriced for what they can do and deliver in the country. We are paying atleast a 40% premium over everyone else owning the same bike in most parts of the world. So they are out of the question although very aspirational. The Africa Twin, the 1200GS and Tiger Explorer and the other bikes that will eventually make their way here in the litre+ class category are again only for people that can afford it and or are extremely serious about their long distance experiences over everyday drivers + some amount of country exploration.

That circles us back to the 650s. If you ask me, they sell themselves. Case in point the Versys. Kawasaki, thanks to its amazing price point, really good dealer network, service network and their reliability has made some serious inroads into this segment. I don't have sales figures to back it but judging by the number of Versys's I've seen on the road and the number of threads on this forum alone praising the bike, I know that it's a winner for the company.

The Suzuki VStrom 650 will be the alternative to this very bike that's dominating this segment. It fairs competitively in almost all the reviews I've read and or watched to the Versys. The kicker for me is the styling and ergonomics. I was just not comfortable on the V. If Suzuki gets the pricing right - in and around 8-9L OTR which would make it similar to the Versys, I am pretty sure it's going to give Kawasaki a decent run for its money and sell itsrlf. Even with crappy sales staff
sharkbait is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st July 2018, 21:15   #6
BHPian

August End is launch
10th September onwards is delivery
9.00 to 9.25 is OTR price.
Hammer & Anvil is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 31st July 2018, 21:42   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer & Anvil View Post
August End is launch
9 lakhs is decent value. It will sell and probably will decimate the versys 650 at that price.

Hope zuki doesn't disappoint us.

Oh wait, i compared that with the bangalore otr for the versys. I think a 1 lakh surcharge over the versys will work... 2 lakhs may not.

Last edited by Red Liner : 31st July 2018 at 21:44.
Old 31st July 2018, 23:26   #8
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
9 lakhs is decent value. It will sell and probably will decimate the versys 650 at that price.

Hope zuki doesn't disappoint us.

Oh wait, i compared that with the bangalore otr for the versys. I think a 1 lakh surcharge over the versys will work... 2 lakhs may not.
Actually Versys 650 sales in AMJ quarter was a total of 24 units vs Tiger 800 doing about 48 and Tiger 1200 about 14.
Earlier quarter Versys was doing about 50 odd in 3 mths. The reasons for drop in versys numbers need to possibly be attributed to non adventure/ sport tourers in their own stable. So how big is this market in reality? We might only know after another 9 or so months.

I feel the versys 650 and hence the Suzuki V-Strom 650XT segment is price sensitive. Either the Versys buyer segment was recently waiting for Suzuki V-Strom 650 or has already been sufficiently addressed or has migrated to Tiger 800 variants.

The V-Strom offers a lot but Versys excels in pure and simple sport touring so Suzuki will have to carve out a niche of it's own and be priced close to Kawasaki to get numbers in this segment. It is indeed worth about 80k more but.. introductory price may be the way to go.

Last edited by ACM : 31st July 2018 at 23:29.
ACM is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st July 2018, 23:32   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Please do note that a lot of people were waiting for the new tiger as well as the new bmw series, BMW is just way too slow. Customers lapped up the new tigers.

The versys has been in the same avtar in the market for a good 3 odd years now, and it is doing respectably well at its price point.

I think where the vstrom will lose out is zukis half hearted approach to the market. A lot of the buyers at that price point are still a little long term value conscious and will certainly think twice before plonking down the money.

It also puts the zuki a little uncomfortably close to the ninja 1000.

Between the two, i would need to think very hard as to why i want the vstrom. Forget a scientific analysis, on this course more horses just wins.
Red Liner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2018, 01:01   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer & Anvil View Post
August End is launch
Is this confirmed somehow?
Which city is this price quoted for? Also, what colour options are on offer?
Old 1st August 2018, 06:36   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post

I think where the vstrom will lose out is zukis half hearted approach to the market. A lot of the buyers at that price point are still a little long term value conscious and will certainly think twice before plonking down the money.

It also puts the zuki a little uncomfortably close to the ninja 1000.

Between the two, i would need to think very hard as to why i want the vstrom. Forget a scientific analysis, on this course more horses just wins.
As an owner of an older vstrom and being on a Ninja 1000/650...there are some reasons. The vstrom is a proper adv/touring/commuter bike. Ninja 1000 is okay at touring and not great at adventure or commuting...engine displacement is different as well as engine layout. Stroms have the mighty v-twin layout which is great for low end torque/grunt while the Ninja has a rev happy in line 4.

The strom is great for overall riding, great for touring and you dont get tired after doing 300 miles (480ish km) . I have owned its street avatar (sv650) and the motor is fantastic even at 60k miles (96,000km). Also if your stuck on a dirt road, you have the advantage of road clearance. Newer vstroms do have better abs and also more of the adventure look, but that motor is fantastic.
Bhatman510 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2018, 19:22   #12
BHPian

From my discussion with the dealer, the bike is to be launched by the month end. Hope its better executed than the GSX 750
Old 2nd August 2018, 19:28   #13
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by kailashnj View Post
better executed
Not very sure what do you mean by this? Is it related to the product, or the sales and service network?
Old 3rd August 2018, 21:35   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Not very sure what do you mean by this? Is it related to the product, or the sales and service network?

I meant about the sales and service experience. GSX 750 - good product on paper, but none seen on road yet.
kailashnj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2018, 22:14   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am still not sure why would anyone pick a GSX-750 over a Z900 considering how close they are in price.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks