Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd August 2018, 23:06   #16
BHPian

re: The Suzuki V-Strom 650XT, now launched at Rs 7.46 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanhunt123 View Post
I am still not sure why would anyone pick a GSX-750 over a Z900 considering how close they are in price.

Purely for the electornics. Kawasaki is only ABS and nothing else. In Suzuki, you get 3 levels of Traction controls and 8 levels ABS (as per the link)
kailashnj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2018, 23:17   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kailashnj View Post
Purely for the electornics. Kawasaki is only ABS and nothing else. In Suzuki, you get 3 levels of Traction controls and 8 levels ABS (as per the link)
Yes - it has the 3 level traction control over Z900. But its heavier & down on both power/torque. And Z900 looks better IMHO.
Old 3rd August 2018, 23:39   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanhunt123 View Post
And Z900 looks better IMHO.

Another thing that I don't like about the Suzuki is the 4000 KMS service intervals. Reminds me of the Benelli. It will be a costly affair to maintain.
Old 4th August 2018, 01:26   #19
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Reminds me of the Benelli.
True. Was one of the main reasons I skipped Benelli.

However - that also depends on the labour charges. Is Suzuki comparable to Honda or more like Kawasaki in this regard? Since they do not maintain a separate network - they should be providing a more cost effective setup like in the case of Honda.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2018, 10:52   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
True. Was one of the main reasons I skipped Benelli.

However - that also depends on the labour charges. Is Suzuki comparable to Honda or more like Kawasaki in this regard? Since they do not maintain a separate network - they should be providing a more cost effective setup like in the case of Honda.
Even if the labor charges are lower compared to Benelli - just taking the bike to the service center every 3 months is a royal pain. Plus if it is going to be a Weekend Breakfast ride machine (which most nakeds turn out to be) - it does not makes sense to keep spending time & money on frequent oil changes.
Old 4th August 2018, 22:05   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Another thing that I don't like about the Suzuki is the 4000 KMS service intervals. Reminds me of the Benelli. It will be a costly affair to maintain.
Where are you getting this info from?
From the little I've researched this machine, it's 12000kms for the service interval for Oceania and Europe and 6000kms for the rest of the world. Not sure how much an additional 2k or an additional 8k makes to your costs, but I think we will need to wait for them to announce official specs and varients before jumping to these conclusions.
Old 4th August 2018, 22:27   #22
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

I believe Suzuki will really have to price the VStrom very competitively if they have to compete with Kawasaki which is going to be the biggest competition. Currently Kawasaki has a clear advantage over the Suzuki in terms of its showroom and service network.

In most of the comparison of mid size adventure / touring motorcycles internationally - the Suzuki VStrom comes very close second only to the Versys. Suzuki will have to ensure a very competitive pricing - under 9 OTR if they really have to sell. A 1 lakh premium over the Versys would justify the spoke wheels setup, the engine guards, knuckle guards and the traction control.

> 9 lakhs OTR and someone would find the Z900 or the Street Triple a better overall package (especially motor-wise). I know this is comparing apples and oranges. But in India - the target buyer is more price sensitive. Obviously someone who is strictly looking for an Advanced motorcycle under 10 lakhs would not consider the Z or ST or the GSXS750. But many who only have a dream to buy a superbike - will not even consider the VStrom.
v12 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th August 2018, 12:32   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkbait View Post
Where are you getting this info from?
From the little I've researched this machine, it's 12000kms for the service interval for Oceania and Europe and 6000kms for the rest of the world. Not sure how much an additional 2k or an additional 8k makes to your costs, but I think we will need to wait for them to announce official specs and varients before jumping to these conclusions.

Servicing isnt too much of an issue, oil is easily a DIY affair. Air filter not too bad. Other than general wear parts (chain tension,lube, brake pads), the 650 motor is a reliable tried and true.
Bhatman510 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th August 2018, 20:58   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhatman510 View Post
Servicing isnt too much of an issue, oil is easily a DIY affair. Air filter not too bad. Other than general wear parts (chain tension,lube, brake pads), the 650 motor is a reliable tried and true.
Issue is warranty in India. If you dont follow the service interval recommended by the company and dont get your bike serviced at the company service center - they can void the warranty.
Old 8th August 2018, 09:08   #25
BHPian

Possibly, but nothing happens to such motorbikes unless you crash/ drop them. Regular servicing (even if it's just oil & filter change) helps in going a long way. That doesn't mean you change engine oil every now and then.

AFIK, Yamaha (used to have an FZ1 for 6 years) didn't void my warranty for getting the oils changed myself!

I got my oil changed in the first 500kms during the break-in period.

Last edited by Crankpin : 8th August 2018 at 09:11.
Old 16th August 2018, 17:24   #26
BHPian

*Suzuki V Strom 650*
Message from dealer.

Hi, we are launching the 650 this month end
Around 9.25 on road
2 colours
Yellow And white.

I stay in Mumbai and I know only my city prices.
Hammer & Anvil is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 26th August 2018, 13:58   #27
BHPian

10th September is confirmed.
9.0 OTR is sounding closer to the correct price, maybe
even a few thousand less. About 25k less than my earlier news.
5 pieces will be ready in Mumbai for delivery almost immediately.

The Suzuki V-Strom 650XT, now launched at Rs 7.46 lakhs-img20180826wa0011.jpg

The Suzuki V-Strom 650XT, now launched at Rs 7.46 lakhs-img20180826wa0012.jpg

The Suzuki V-Strom 650XT, now launched at Rs 7.46 lakhs-img20180826wa0009.jpg

The Suzuki V-Strom 650XT, now launched at Rs 7.46 lakhs-img20180826wa0008.jpg

The Suzuki V-Strom 650XT, now launched at Rs 7.46 lakhs-img20180826wa0010.jpg

Just a few images rec'd from their dealer today.

Colours.
Yellow and white.

In the meanwhile someone said they sold 14-odd Tiger explorers in 3 months... That cannot right as there has not been a Tiger Explorer for sale with the company ages now, or so I thought.
Hammer & Anvil is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 26th August 2018, 14:50   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

9 lakhs on the road is going to make things extremely difficult for the versys at one end and the tiger xr series at the other. It just doesn't make any sense to put so much money on the tiger anymore, three cylinders notwithstanding.

The versys will also face the heat, with the strom being a lot more offroad ready. Hell, even i might have swung the strom way.

The only fly in the ointment is going to be the service capabilities of Suzuki in the near term. That will make or break this wonderful bike. Honda has absolutely got this covered with their very limited launches.

Honestly, a serious motorcyclist probably wouldn't care much for zukis service or the unavailability of it, this bike can be serviced easily at home and for more serious work you always have friendly garages at your disposal. And this is a bike you can keep for years, for over 100,000 kms easy.

Add an akrapovic end can to that thing right away. Killer.
Red Liner is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 26th August 2018, 17:01   #29
Senior - BHPian

Some Versys owners seem to agree to the below review. So the upgraded Vstrom seems to be one up on the Versys. At about 1lakh premium to the Versys, lets see how much acceptance it gets given that Versys has been the default for years now. And then the tiger for those whom the versys was too basic but tiger itself was a reluctant choice given the price and heft. Vstrom has a sure shot chance!
Quote:
It was when we exited the Interstate and hit the twisties that a clear winner began to emerge. On the Versys, the rider is forced to juggle the smooth, gentle inputs required of a grabby clutch and an abrupt open/closed throttle response with wheezy mid-range power that demands plenty of wrist twisting. It’s also challenging to balance the compact Versys’ flickability with its tendency to fight the rider when ridden hard, as it wants to stand up under heavy braking into corners. Meanwhile the V-Strom, with its baked-in user friendliness, is a willing and confident mount. Everything about it is reassuring and easy, from the positive gearbox to the smooth clutch and throttle. Mid-corner corrections? No problem. And if the rear end decides to come loose, the traction control is there to step in. Should you find yourself staring down a gravel or rocky dirt road, the Bridgestone Battlax Trail Wing tires, 19-inch front wheel, long wheelbase, low center of gravity and decent suspension travel (5.9 inches at the front, 6.3 inches at the rear) make the V-Strom a capable adventurer.

Neither bike is perfect; both have suspension and brakes that are “OK,” and neither one comes with a centerstand. Electronics and rider aids are basic—heated grips are optional on both and cruise control isn’t available at all. But these are Swiss Army knives, built to be attractive in both price and utility. And if we had to choose one—and only one—the adventure-ready, canyon-carving, freeway-flying, fuel-sipping 2017 V-Strom 650 would be it.
https://ridermagazine.com/2017/09/14...omparo-review/

Last edited by Nilesh5417 : 26th August 2018 at 17:03.
Nilesh5417 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 1st September 2018, 00:09   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer & Anvil View Post
10th September is confirmed.
9.0 OTR is sounding closer to the correct price, maybe
even a few thousand less. About 25k less than my earlier news.
5 pieces will be ready in Mumbai for delivery almost immediately.

Attachment 1793506

Attachment 1793507

Attachment 1793508

Attachment 1793509

Attachment 1793510

Just a few images rec'd from their dealer today.

Colours.
Yellow and white.

In the meanwhile someone said they sold 14-odd Tiger explorers in 3 months... That cannot right as there has not been a Tiger Explorer for sale with the company ages now, or so I thought.
The pictures posted here are of V Storm 650 XT. There are two versions coming in, one is V Storm 650 and other one is V Storm 650 XT. The XT version has some accessories more focussed towards offroading though there is no change in the engine speca. The normal V Storm 650 does not have spoke wheels it has alloys.

I have been following about V Storm 650 launch in India since quite some time now (almost a year). I have read many comparison reviews between Versys and V Storm and in majority have rated the V Storm above Versys. I just hope the pricing is correct and the service network grows here in India. I am looking forward for this one, lets see how it scores in Indian market.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks