Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th October 2018, 19:03   #76
BHPian

re: The Suzuki V-Strom 650XT, now launched at Rs 7.46 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreyascashyap View Post
https://www.zigwheels.com/news-featu...n-india/32025/

The V-Strom has been launched at an ex-showroom price of 7.46L and is available in 2 colour options.

I would still say that you should go with the Versys. The reason being the service will be a hit or a miss as far as Suzuki is concerned. They launch products but don't show the zeal to sell them like Kawasaki does. Tell me how many Suzuki GSX do you see on the road.

Another aspect that I would consider is the service interval. From what I hear from everyone (dealers specific) their service interval is 4000 kms or 6 months which every is earlier. Now Kawasaki has this at 6000 kms or 6 months - which clearly tells me that the Suzuki will be costlier to maintain.

Another aspect - if you are going long distance touring, which is why you might be buying this bike, you will be hard pressed to find the Suzuki Service centre in 4k kms to get the service done on time or you loose out on the warranty.

For all those experts out there -

Ex showroom price is 7.46 lakhs. How is the On-road price Mumbai 9.56 lakhs. That's 2.1 lakhs more than the ex showroom.

Where as Versys 650 ex showroom is 6.65 lakhs, on road price mumbai is 8.1 lakhs. That's 1.5 lakhs - what am i missing here.

Both are CKD and both should have the same % of registration charges and Insurance charges. This is really strange.
kailashnj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th October 2018, 19:09   #77
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Will be interesting to see a comparison between both the V650's. Finally the Versys has some serious competition. Although the VStrom is expensive by a lakh and a half - but the price can be justified considering it comes with the expensive spoke wheels, traction control, knuckle guards and a 5 year zero dep insurance.

The pricing is bang in middle of the Versys and the Tiger - and considering its off-roading capabilities - it has the potential to impact the sales of both these motorcycles. Only thing to wait and watch is their sales and service.
Old 4th October 2018, 21:42   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v12 View Post

The pricing is bang in middle of the Versys and the Tiger - and considering its off-roading capabilities - it has the potential to impact the sales of both these motorcycles. Only thing to wait and watch is their sales and service.
The gap between Tiger pricing and Versys/V-Storm pricing is as big as Himalayas Anyway, the Tiger XR price is around 15L to 15.5L OTR (Bangalore).
shan_ned is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th October 2018, 21:47   #79
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shan_ned View Post
The gap between Tiger pricing and Versys/V-Storm pricing is as big as Himalayas Anyway, the Tiger XR price is around 15L to 15.5L OTR (Bangalore).
In terms of product though - the VStorm650 seems to be capable enough against the Tiger XCs, like the Versys used to be compared to the XR range.

But yes - there's always an emotional appeal for the Tigers, alongwith their extremely service friendly showrooms.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2018, 11:30   #80
Team-BHP Support

Re: The Suzuki V-Strom 650XT, now launched at Rs 7.46 lakhs

Bangalore ex-showroom price for the VStrom 650 XT is 7,55,622/-

By the way - Has the segment really died down already? Have a feeling Suzuki might be too late to the party.

Versys 650 barely manages to sell these days ever since the introduction of the Ninja 1000 and more recently the Vulcan 650. The seat height possibly being one of the biggest concerns for an average Indian.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th October 2018, 14:56   #81
Distinguished - BHPian

At this price, its the vstrom all the way. That 20 mm lower seat height will do very well indeed.

Contrary to some opinions here, i will buy the vstrom eyes closed if i was in the market today, which i am not.

India is in sum total an offroad country, paved roads are non existent when you tour at many places. This bike should fix that gap with that 19 front, tubeless spokes, low rpm assist to ensure you dont stall, and a bunch of other things.

Very hard pressed to justify a versys now, its downright stupidity to put money on one. Unless you look at a used one, good deals to be had for sure.

Don't bring up the whole service center shenanigan, its been played to death with every single premium bike seller in india, these jap bikes can go to the moon and back with an oil change done at home. People who are afraid to get their hands dirty should stick to the roads and breakfast rides with one of those fast bikes that redlines to Timbuktu or whatever.
Red Liner is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 5th October 2018, 15:39   #82
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreyascashyap View Post
https://www.zigwheels.com/news-featu...n-india/32025/

The V-Strom has been launched at an ex-showroom price of 7.46L and is available in 2 colour options.

Now I am a little confused. I was about to book the Versys 650 by the year end. Been waiting for them to introduce the new colours. At this price point, should I consider the Suzuki as well? Don't know how the post sales experience would be in Bangalore.
Its a no brainer. Go for the Suzuki. It has way more off-roading potential than the Versys, and trust me once you start going off-road more often you'll hate riding on the highways. However, if you don't enjoy riding off-road, it is still an amazing machine on-road as well. As for service, hey its a Japanese bike and a 2018 model, you won't any issues with reliability and parts even if Suzuki India doesn't back you up. And that yellow looks amazing.
Old 5th October 2018, 17:18   #83
Team-BHP Support

There are few types of owners I've seen riding such bikes, and 'claim' to enjoy offroading

10% who enjoy offroading and are rich enough to throw such bikes around - They have mostly already bought Versys and moved on to bikes like the Africa Twin or GSA. They are better off buying VStorm if new - but they would have started looking at Tigers and above instead.

70% who pretend to enjoy offroading, but keep whining about service costs, weight, seat height, alloy wheels, 17 inch wheels and what not - only to finally ride some backyard roads, or supervised dirt tracks - They will have few less things to complain about with the VStrom. Upto individuals to decide if thats good or bad.

20% who have made full use of their machines travelling the length and breadth of the country - including whatever little offroad situations they faced up in the mountains. They would have done on either machines - but the VStrom might help them explore further.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 5th October 2018 at 17:19.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th October 2018, 18:34   #84
Distinguished - BHPian

You might be mistaken cd. I have ridden the versys across the country now within kissing distance of 45k.

I am writing this from khajuraho, in the middle of MP. This state has no roads, some roads, and tar in that order. A vstrom with what it comes with just gives that much more confidence to tackle what comes your way. It is a misnomer to suggest that we owners go out looking for offroad trails on these big bikes. Granted there are a few who do that, but i am not one of them.

I have done my fair share of no roading with the versys and have felt the dire need of a slightly bigger front wheel to glide over stones that can tip you over, a much lower seat, a much lower cog, and switchable abs. Some of this comes standard on the strom.

In india, if you tour across the country, its a matter of when and not if you encounter serious offroad.
Red Liner is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th October 2018, 20:11   #85
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
I have done my fair share of no roading with the versys and have felt the dire need of a slightly bigger front wheel to glide over stones that can tip you over, a much lower seat, a much lower cog, and switchable abs.
And you always told me the that "light weight" is what we in dire need of.

But seriously, in international market, versys 650 and V storm have been running neck to next for decades now. Ones riding style or requirement would help tilt the balance. Versys is capable of mild off road which our country throws generously esp with a dual sport tyre. The modern alloys are getting stronger with every generation and its not like spoked rims dont bend. Strom is definitely stronger on the off road part where versys would score in twisties. Looks being subjective, i prefer the versys.

BUT, if i was in market for a 650 adv, i would prefer the v storm, mainly for the fact that it offers a 20 mm lower seat, would be better equipped for off road, cost effective accessories like center stand for 7.5k only, good low end torque, and slightly better exhaust note. Would definitely take a test ride, who knows it might appeal so much where one is pushed to think about exchanging storm with versys.

BTW, the rims on the V storm xt are also alloy just that it uses spokes to connect to the hub. for eg, on a regular Enfield bullet, the rims are sheet metal bent/pressed in that shape, but the rims on Xt are pressure die casted, same as a regular alloy wheel.
Attached Thumbnails
The Suzuki V-Strom 650XT, now launched at Rs 7.46 lakhs-alloy.jpg  

Last edited by Jaggu : 5th October 2018 at 20:17.
nasirkaka is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th October 2018, 20:14   #86
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
You might be mistaken cd. I have ridden the versys across the country now within kissing distance of 45k.
I counted you in the last 20% who use their bikes. Fact is - I feel 70% of those who claim to off-road never do - even if they get the VStrom.

PS - I'm in neither categories. I have no shyness to accept I'm not an offroader, nor do I have pockets deep enough to maintain such expensive machines in such manner. For my usage as a comfortable, fast, interstate runner to the hills - Versys makes full sense over VStrom anyday.

Meanwhile, just cross checked the sales for Versys 650 in the past six months - 17 + 17 + 21 + 17 + 7 + 0 = 79 units. Sales have really declined ever since Ninja 1000 and Vulcan 650 were introduced.

Will be interesting to see how the VStrom 650 is able to revive this segment. Versys will be further hit for sure, till the next generation arrives for MY2020.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasirkaka View Post
BUT, if i was in market for a 650 adv, i would prefer the v storm, mainly for the fact that it offers a 20 mm lower seat.
Sure its 20mm? Versys has 840mm seat height whereas VStrom has listed 835mm.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 5th October 2018 at 20:18.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th October 2018, 20:43   #87
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Sure its 20mm? Versys has 840mm seat height whereas VStrom has listed 835mm.
CORRECTION: what i heard and meant was they are offering a 20mm lower seat option which makes sense for a lot of us. I remember shaving the foam off my versys to reduce the seat height and later got a lowering kit installed only to realize that it reduced the ground clearance quite a bit and also compresses the rear shock to make the suspension stiff. Not to mention the side stand cutting part to get the lean angle right.

In my next service, i intend to get rid of the lowering kit, seat height on the 310gs has given me that confidence.

Last edited by Jaggu : 5th October 2018 at 21:08.
nasirkaka is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th October 2018, 17:07   #88
Team-BHP Support

The VStrom is a very capable bike. The only thing I dislike is the absence of adjustable upside down forks. Apart from that the bike is quite loaded with it's three stage traction control, easy start system, etc.

I hope they are able to make this a success and launch the 1000 sooner at a reasonable price.

Last edited by moralfibre : 6th October 2018 at 17:09.
moralfibre is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2018, 01:11   #89
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
The VStrom is a very capable bike. The only thing I dislike is the absence of adjustable upside down forks. Apart from that the bike is quite loaded with it's three stage traction control, easy start system, etc.

I hope they are able to make this a success and launch the 1000 sooner at a reasonable price.
USD Forks should not make or break a bike. Most owners of USD forks never touch there preload or compression settings. Ideally you learn how your suspension works and feel the bike and then upgrade accordingly. A properly adjusted standard fork setting will feel amazing compared to a properly sprung USD setup. Common upgrade is changing out the triple and forks from a GSX-R 750/1000 on SV650s to make them solid track bikes.

The Vstrom has been sold for ages in the USA and Europe and more Vstrom's are out riding compared to the Kawi bike. The Versys is more of a touring bike compared to a proper adv bike, but proof is out there you can do it (shoot you can do the Ladakh run on a RR310 if you wanted...).
Bhatman510 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th October 2018, 05:34   #90
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasirkaka View Post
And you always told me the that "light weight" is what we in dire need of.

When i said light weight, i meant your personal diet scheme 😂

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks