Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th November 2018, 10:26   #121
BHPian

Re: The Suzuki V-Strom 650XT, now launched at Rs 7.46 lakhs

So this is my quick review of the VStrom 650
Bear with me on points that of concern to me- priority wise, here goes.
The seat height of 835 mm may seem high to short guys but the sides of the seat are cut out to enable the feet/things and calves, to rest closer to the bike and hence what could be a tall 835 on other bikes is just about ok on this one. A company replacement seat offers -20mm and this lowers the seat height to 815mm and that should enable anyone upwards of 5'3" to ride this bike without lift shoes.
Climbing astride as with any adv bike while in side stand is easy and comfortable and I thought the base plate for the tiger made the Tigers a tad more stable than this while mounting.
The fun starts with the push/leave start button which holds itself in till the bike starts, or at least it says it does it and the instant starting actually cheats you of this so called 'Comfort' trick.
Display shows analog rpm, digital- gear indicator. Tractn control, abs on, speed and range etc.
For off road buffs you can turn off the traction control but the tires are road tires and absolutely zero off road... So knobbies are a must buy to complement the wire wheels which are actually diecast alloys with a raised lip for the spokes. Best of both worlds, so you should believe.
Having. Started the bike it just settles into a quiet burbling and no whine like the Tiger. Just silence.
The throttle blip seems a tad slow, almost as if something was lost in the throttle to efi link. Maybe the setting of the throttle calibration from 0-100 wasn't done tight... That could be improved but your reflex just learnt to ignore that millisecond delay... And that's when you engage 1st and at 2400-2500 the torque kicks in, nice soft and steady.
So this is the closest a Harley owner can come to liking throttle response in a non-HD bike. 2-up the bike, with it's 180kg load moved as if it was one-up and till about 6000-6200 just kept pulling and did a comfortable 60-65kmph in 3rd at 5000/5500 without any sign of stress.
This is the spot that made me love the bike.
As I found dope road an pushed it over 6500z the vibe band ended and the rush of a sports bike came in from about 6800/7000 till I ran out of road at 8000.
The accelerating kind of held a steady pull, not at all urgent or rushed. Just a heavy torque pull, steady and constant.
Very very addictive.
Breaking was without drama and reasonably strong from 80-0 with the 180kg load. I am not a heavy brake user so I cannot comment on this brake versus another bikes brakes.
They seemed to complement the kind of engine acceleration... Just like that steady and tough brakes.
I think this will make a very comfortable all day tourer for those not in hurry to get anywhere.
People have reasoned that 150-155-160 is about the top this bike can do, I was really happy the way it was at 110, and it felt that it had power on tap at that speed to overtake any car that would refuse to allow you to pass.
20L tank, 16-7L main- 22 average- meaning a 350-odd Km single tank range.
Traction control Off, Level 1-leave this on, and L2- so aggressive, so even if your think of accelerating, the TC would cut in. So depending on your skill or need, it's got everything... off for champions and level 2 for newbies in the rain.
The competition is the Tiger... Where I reside the Kawasaki dealers made a hash of the Versys, and it barely has the popularity that the Versys enjoys in Bangalore, for example. The south swears by the Versys and am sure it's for a good reason. Currently a used Versys was quoted for it's official price in the used market... And he may even get a buyer, less RTO fees...
The 61 odd Nm of torque comes in as a flat and powerful torque curve from 24/2500 all the way to 6400 and the HP closes at 66 at about 8800.
Now many who rode the bike find it a better handler than the Tiger and here is what seems to be the reason
170mm GC versus 200 on the Tiger
1560mm wheelbase versus the 1530 on the Tiger.
Makes this a longer and lower bike, marginally and with it's better turning radius, unlike the Tiger handles locking up, this becomes a fun bike to ride.
Legendary Suzuki low maintenance may take a hit with some stupid oil change plans/schedule they have in the books- every 4000km �� and this may put off many a rider. As you look at all out 3L of oil change every 4000km.... Figure out that cost, guys.

Why would I buy it?
1. Low seat and well shaped seat
2. Low low low torque curve start means for an easy rider with the Mrs as pillion, this bike can be easy at 6000 rpm and do about 100-110 all day.
3. Global availability of parts, check RevZilla for example, sprockets, chains, brake pads, pegs, panniers-
4. Bullet proof reliability and past record of the V1000, the GSX bikes and the likes.
5. This is by far the most comfortable tourer I have seen as a combination still of the above points.

What I would really look hard at-
1 it's would make a super tarmac bike but a poor trail bike - so at best something that will handle bad roads with poise- but not mud bashing- mainly because of stock tires. This doesn't bother me, but it may to some.
And -
2. Before buying, a must read is that really tight service book- oil every 4k and filter every

The Suzuki V-Strom 650XT, now launched at Rs 7.46 lakhs-img_20181110_131057.jpg

PS- Image is large sized for allowing you to zoom into 'tippy toe' and diecast rims.
Hammer & Anvil is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 12th November 2018, 09:54   #122
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer & Anvil View Post
The competition is the Tiger... Where I reside the Kawasaki dealers made a hash of the Versys, and it barely has the popularity that the Versys enjoys in Bangalore, for example. The south swears by the Versys and am sure it's for a good reason.
Interesting observation - and you're right. In our Versys groups, we currently have 217 members at the India level, and 128 for the Bangalore groups. (PS: Some people quit India group due to more discussions and more members).

But then - whatever sales Versys had will mostly go to the VStrom now. Versys was already sandwiched between the Ninja 650, Vulcan 650 and Ninja 1000 - the main reason for buying the Versys was its ability to punish bad roads. Its done better on the VStrom, thanks to less worry about the wheels.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2018, 14:32   #123
Senior - BHPian

Comparo of middle-weights

Quoting author's verdict from article
Quote:
So, if you had to pick one, which should it be? The Suzuki V-Strom, no doubt. It is the winner of our comparison test for a reason.

Yes, it costs around Rs 55,000 more. But, it’s also closer to the ADV genre than the Versys. Plus, it has a more tractable engine; it has more rider aids; and, it’s more spacious. Even when it comes to commuting, it has the better low speed ride, a lower seat, and some assist to keep you from stalling. And, it will get you more eyeballs!

The Kawasaki has its pluses too – specifically when it comes to high speed ride, handling and braking. And, of course, a lower purchase price. But, these aren’t big enough to swing the decision in its favour, especially for those looking for an ADV.
sukiwa is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th December 2018, 12:23   #124
BHPian

Has anyone here got the V-Strom yet?
Trying to find out if anyone from Bangalore has taken delivery.
Old 5th December 2018, 12:57   #125
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by katoom View Post
Has anyone here got the V-Strom yet?
Trying to find out if anyone from Bangalore has taken delivery.
A friend saw two being ridden out last Sunday enroute to Krishnagiri...I was with him but arrived late hence didn't see the bikes.

So deliveries are probably done.
Red Liner is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th December 2018, 13:32   #126
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
A friend saw two being ridden out last Sunday enroute to Krishnagiri...I was with him but arrived late hence didn't see the bikes.

I also saw a new KA reg V-Strom being ridden near Dharmapuri 2 weekends back - so deliveries have been done for sure.
ethanhunt123 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th December 2018, 14:48   #127
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanhunt123 View Post
I also saw a new KA reg V-Strom being ridden near Dharmapuri 2 weekends back - so deliveries have been done for sure.
Thanks fellas! I will drop by this Saturday for a test ride and post here.
Old 8th December 2018, 18:37   #128
Team-BHP Support

One of my dear friend and a proper enthusiast has got himself this. He rides hard, he rides long. Has ridden his Z-800 to Sikkim from Pune and has toured with his 390 and 6N to Leh/Kanyakumari.

As per him, it has a very smooth and tractable engine, no engine heating in whatever kilometers he has rode [though one of my friend who took a TR in Bombay complained of one].

It will need a bigger windshield else there is buffeting at speed, plus the associated noise.
Attached Thumbnails
The Suzuki V-Strom 650XT, now launched at Rs 7.46 lakhs-whatsapp-image-20181208-2.14.14-pm-1.jpeg  

The Suzuki V-Strom 650XT, now launched at Rs 7.46 lakhs-whatsapp-image-20181208-2.14.14-pm.jpeg  

Sheel is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 9th December 2018, 13:54   #129
Senior - BHPian

That rear rack should have come in darker colour considering the wear and tear its going to see eventually. Doesn't gel with the bike's colours either. Does Suzuki not sell these bikes with saree guard? I remember the ugly piece of metal they stuck on the Busa a while ago
Old 9th December 2018, 13:59   #130
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nithesh_M View Post
Does Suzuki not sell these bikes with saree guard? I remember the ugly piece of metal they stuck on the Busa a while ago
It's there, quite visible if you zoom in to the picture in the first post on this page.

Much better integrated than the ones on the Kawasaki's, but hey - You will regret it during barbecue season.
Old 16th December 2018, 10:55   #131
Team-BHP Support

My friend has updated.

1st service done. Cost Rs. 7,000. Rs. 4,000 for oil & Rs. 3,000 for labor.
2nd service might be more expensive at ~ Rs. 12,000.

FE is very good. Though let him ride a bit more to comment on this aspect authoritatively, though we both know, it is not anyone's highest priority. Does 110 @ 5,500 revs and as per him is the sweet spot to cruise. Runs absolutely fine on normal unleaded.
Sheel is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 16th December 2018, 11:29   #132
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
First service is at 1000 kms? Why is the 2nd service expensive?

My Versys figures for comparison below -
1000 kms service - Rs 4746/- (This was at KTM though)
6000 kms service - Rs 6590/-
12000 kms service - Rs 8700/-
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th December 2018, 16:21   #133
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
My friend has updated.

FE is very good. Though let him ride a bit more to comment on this aspect authoritatively, though we both know, it is not anyone's highest priority. Does 110 @ 5,500 revs and as per him is the sweet spot to cruise. Runs absolutely fine on normal unleaded.
Thanks for the update.
However, don't understand how 3ltr of engine oil can cost 4k, even considering the likes of Motul 300V!

Can't really see why the second service should be so expensive, even if there's a air filter, oil filter and oil change. The spark plugs in these bikes lasts ages.

Below is the screenshot of the schedule for bikes sold in CA:
The Suzuki V-Strom 650XT, now launched at Rs 7.46 lakhs-41255911820_3ebf84da6d_k.jpg

Could you please check with your friend on the service schedule and the jobs performed?

Looks like Suzuki is pretty much ruthless with the service charges.
Old 16th December 2018, 18:49   #134
Team-BHP Support

Breakup roughly is - 3,000 - oil, ~1,000 - oil filter, 3,000 - labor.

The 3rd service might have spark plug/s replacement and throttle body cleaning/syncing, which will have a decent labor charge going by how things go.
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2018, 21:01   #135
BHPian

Am really looking forward to buying this motorcycle but 4000 kilometer service intervals just cant be tolerated. I would run through it every couple of months - quarterly at the very most

Otherwise it fits me well- cheaper than the Tiger XR, comfotable saddle height for a 5'4 guy and bulletproof engine

Last edited by rahul4321 : 16th December 2018 at 21:01. Reason: Correction of typo

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks