Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th July 2019, 12:49   #61
BHPian

re: The king is back | My Suzuki GSX-R1000 | EDIT: Now sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odeen12 View Post
Completely agree. But i don't think i can go back to the service centre again.
=======
The work carried out was top notch, nothing to complain about. Plus i loved the location too
Hey Odeen, I was looking to install an aftermarket FSE on my bike (2019 CBR650R), primarily the Akrapovic one. Being new to the whole aftermarket modding scene I wasn't sure if I need to flash my ECU if I get my exhaust changed. Go Blue asked me to get in touch with you directly but since I'm a newbie on this forum I can't PM you directly. If you're okay with it could message Abhishek and get my details from him? I'd really appreciate it. I need some of my misinformation cleared and you seem very knowledgeable about this.
tushar9960 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2019, 07:41   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tushar9960 View Post
Hey Odeen, I was looking to install an aftermarket FSE on my bike (2019 CBR650R), primarily the Akrapovic one. Being new to the whole aftermarket modding scene I wasn't sure if I need to flash my ECU if I get my exhaust changed. Go Blue asked me to get in touch with you directly but since I'm a newbie on this forum I can't PM you directly. If you're okay with it could message Abhishek and get my details from him? I'd really appreciate it. I need some of my misinformation cleared and you seem very knowledgeable about this.
Hey Tushar, Hope all good.
With a full system exhaust it is advisable to support it with a decent free flow air filter and a map. In the process you are changing the AFR of the bike. Be diligent as to what goes on. You might also need a Servo buddy. With the Akras mine came with a servo eliminator unit, i do not know if Yoshi's also do the same.

When i added the full system, i went with the flash because that was the only option where i could activate the Quick Shifter, Blipper and Launch control. But a good fuel controller / piggy back unit like PC5 should help you in getting the most out of your motorcycle. I'd stay away from Bazzaz, i had it on my Triumph and it wasn't a pleasant experience.

With your system instead of a flash, i'd recommend a good piggy back unit / fuel controller. This should help the bike run smooth and make power as you tend to lose a little of the mid range when you add a full exhaust.

If you have any more queries, i am happy to help. Cheers!

Last edited by Odeen12 : 27th July 2019 at 07:43.
Odeen12 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th July 2019, 12:17   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Hey Tushar, Hope all good.
With a full system exhaust it is advisable to support it with a decent free flow air filter and a map. In the process you are changing the AFR of the bike. Be diligent as to what goes on. You might also need a Servo buddy. With the Akras mine came with a servo eliminator unit, i do not know if Yoshi's also do the same.

When i added the full system, i went with the flash because that was the only option where i could activate the Quick Shifter, Blipper and Launch control. But a good fuel controller / piggy back unit like PC5 should help you in getting the most out of your motorcycle. I'd stay away from Bazzaz, i had it on my Triumph and it wasn't a pleasant experience.

With your system instead of a flash, i'd recommend a good piggy back unit / fuel controller. This should help the bike run smooth and make power as you tend to lose a little of the mid range when you add a full exhaust.

If you have any more queries, i am happy to help. Cheers!
Thanks, that helps. One more concern you say you had to flash your ECU to activate the quickshifter. Honda sells the quickshifter in other markets as an add-on. I'm assuming I won't need to flash my bike to use this since its an add-on? PC5 is still working on a controller for this model, waiting for that to happen also no performance intakes available yet.

Additionally, its impossible to fit a slip on exhaust on this bike since the the entire exhaust assembly is welded as a single unit and is mounted underbelly. Fitting a slip on would involve cutting the pipes and fitting a decat exhaust which I'm not comfortable doing. For warranty purposes I can keep the stock exhaust and get the PC5 as you recommended and switch back to stock when needed.

Last edited by navin : 29th July 2019 at 14:13.
Old 30th July 2019, 06:41   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks, that helps. One more concern you say you had to flash your ECU to activate the quickshifter. Honda sells the quickshifter in other markets as an add-on. I'm assuming I won't need to flash my bike to use this since its an add-on? PC5 is still working on a controller for this model, waiting for that to happen also no performance intakes available yet.

Additionally, its impossible to fit a slip on exhaust on this bike since the the entire exhaust assembly is welded as a single unit and is mounted underbelly. Fitting a slip on would involve cutting the pipes and fitting a decat exhaust which I'm not comfortable doing. For warranty purposes I can keep the stock exhaust and get the PC5 as you recommended and switch back to stock when needed.
If Honda sells the QS as an add on go for it. I did not have the option. Basically i had but the dealer knew jack. So went the flash route. Just that the flash gave me the blipper as well.

With the exhaust if done correctly it should not be a problem.
Had stumbled upon this video a few days ago.

But i get your point, it is an intricate process and if done wrong, has the potential to screw up the motorcycle. I'd suggest wait for the PC5 and then take a call on the exhaust. Power Commander might supply you with a base map for the same.

Cheers!
Old 31st July 2019, 10:12   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Some unsolicited advice from my side. Couldn't stop myself, apologies if I came across otherwise.

If you change the breathing characteristics of an engine by way of changing the intake or the exhaust or cams / bore / stroke etc., you will need to account for the fuelling aspect at the minimum. Also, the stock bikes these days are tuned to run as lean as possible in order to keep up with the emission norms. So that way, even a stock bike will benefit from a well sorted tune.

When it comes to tune, you have two options:
1. Piggy back systems like Bazzaz / PowerCommander / Rapid Bike etc.,
2. Reflash the ECU via Woolich/FTEcu etc.,

Between the two, the reflash is generally preferred as you'd be running the stock electronics as is albeit with a different map. You will need to check if there are genuine reflash options available for your bike. If not, going with a piggy back system isn't too bad. After all, companies like Bazzaz made their name by working with teams in the MotoAmerica series.

If you are going the piggy back system route, I'd strongly recommend the Bazzaz system as I found it to be the most sorted and complete package by itself. Ensure you get their Z-Fi Auto tune accessory as well, as it'll help calibrate the fuelling much much better. I used this combo Bazzaz Z-Fi + QS + Z-Fi Auto tune to very good effect on my 600RR. Helped clean up a lot of flat spots and gave me much needed midrange grunt on the track. I don't believe in a map given by some aftermarket shop, unless they have personally ran this specific motorcycle variant on a dyno and on varying conditions to arrive at the said map. So, please don't fall for such gimmicks.
vignesh.cv is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 31st July 2019, 10:19   #66
Senior - BHPian

Very well explained Vignesh.
Due to non accessibility of good tuners or even dynos here, a piggy back ECU with auto tune is all one needs to compliment a full exhaust system.
On a different note, I am a strong proponent of the idea that the bike must be enjoyed stock before the loud pipes take over.
bigron is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st July 2019, 11:47   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vignesh.cv View Post
Some unsolicited advice from my side. Couldn't stop myself, apologies if I came across otherwise.

If you change the breathing characteristics of an engine by way of changing the intake or the exhaust or cams / bore / stroke etc., you will need to account for the fuelling aspect at the minimum. Also, the stock bikes these days are tuned to run as lean as possible in order to keep up with the emission norms. So that way, even a stock bike will benefit from a well sorted tune.

When it comes to tune, you have two options:
1. Piggy back systems like Bazzaz / PowerCommander / Rapid Bike etc.,
2. Reflash the ECU via Woolich/FTEcu etc.,

Between the two, the reflash is generally preferred as you'd be running the stock electronics as is albeit with a different map. You will need to check if there are genuine reflash options available for your bike. If not, going with a piggy back system isn't too bad. After all, companies like Bazzaz made their name by working with teams in the MotoAmerica series.

If you are going the piggy back system route, I'd strongly recommend the Bazzaz system as I found it to be the most sorted and complete package by itself. Ensure you get their Z-Fi Auto tune accessory as well, as it'll help calibrate the fuelling much much better. I used this combo Bazzaz Z-Fi + QS + Z-Fi Auto tune to very good effect on my 600RR. Helped clean up a lot of flat spots and gave me much needed midrange grunt on the track. I don't believe in a map given by some aftermarket shop, unless they have personally ran this specific motorcycle variant on a dyno and on varying conditions to arrive at the said map. So, please don't fall for such gimmicks.
Extremely well put ! BTW i found PC5 to be available for more bikes than Bazzaz.
Old 31st July 2019, 19:02   #68
BHPian

PC5 is working on new maps for the bike plus a lot of the after market manufacturers are working on their updated line up for this bike. Air filters, FS exhaust's and other parts. So this will anyway take some time for to get together. Just exploring my options for the future and getting my facts straight.

For now I am enjoying the bike more than worrying about the exhaust note. It's just annoying that people try to cut you or don't move because they can barely hear you. Even the horn sounds like its off an Activa
Old 31st July 2019, 20:48   #69
Senior - BHPian

There is something immensely satisfying in riding a stock bike.
I remember many years ago when I got my present bike, with stock exhaust it was so discreet and silent that at about 120/130 when I overtook all those 150/200 cc flash boys, all they felt was a gush of wind passing through. The joy it gave me.
Enjoy your ride.

Last edited by bigron : 31st July 2019 at 20:57.
bigron is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st August 2019, 05:30   #70
BHPian

Your stock CBR looks lovely in it's trim. I had a bag attached to my motorcycle hence it had to go. I got the Arrow slip on initially and it was ridiculously loud. So much so that it was irritating. For all that's worth, got the Akra. They are relatively quiet, refined and sound beautiful post 8000 rpm.
Old 1st August 2019, 08:47   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Your stock CBR looks lovely in it's trim. I had a bag attached to my motorcycle hence it had to go. I got the Arrow slip on initially and it was ridiculously loud. So much so that it was irritating. For all that's worth, got the Akra. They are relatively quiet, refined and sound beautiful post 8000 rpm.
I agree, that's why I'm so fixated on the Akrapovic, I don't really want a howling screeching monster. Just something with a bit of rumble and gives some presence on road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigron View Post
There is something immensely satisfying in riding a stock bike.
I remember many years ago when I got my present bike, with stock exhaust it was so discreet and silent that at about 120/130 when I overtook all those 150/200 cc flash boys, all they felt was a gush of wind passing through. The joy it gave me.
Enjoy your ride.
No doubt about that, its like a stealth fighter at highway speeds cutting through traffic. Really love that characteristic.
Old 4th August 2019, 10:22   #72
BHPian

[quote=tushar9960;4630761]I agree, that's why I'm so fixated on the Akrapovic, I don't really want a howling screeching monster. Just something with a bit of rumble and gives some presence on road.

What you say is very correct, Akrapovic has perhaps the best sound characteristics of the lot, I had an SC project exhaust on my Blade, and it was too loud, I stay on the 16th floor and you could hear the bike if was started in the basement, it got to a point where it became annoying specially on longish rides ( I do a lot of Mumbai Pune rides) , The Akrapovic on the other hand is sublime and sane at lower RPM and when you whack it open the growl and the rumble past 5 to 6000 RPM brings goosebumps every time, and it looks goodThe king is back | My Suzuki GSX-R1000 | EDIT: Now sold-imageuploadedbyteambhp1564894330.483721.jpg
cjt2012 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2019, 08:17   #73
BHPian

[quote=cjt2012;4632431]
Quote:
I agree, that's why I'm so fixated on the Akrapovic, I don't really want a howling screeching monster. Just something with a bit of rumble and gives some presence on road.
This looks lovely. Is it a full system?
Old 13th September 2019, 08:32   #74
BHPian

When do the rains go?, nevertheless some necessary bits came in and said hellow!!

The king is back | My Suzuki GSX-R1000 | EDIT: Now sold-unnamed.jpg

The Brembo RCS 19 Master cylinder was a much needed upgrade. Having said that, i didn't have the monies or the need for top spec Corsa Corta as off now.
Absolutely thrilled about this upgrade.

The rear hugger from Lightech was next. The Powerbronze rear wheel hugger scrapped on the 200 Pirelli's, so that had to go. If anyone wants a Power Bronze rear hugger for their super sport, let me know..

Had the set engine protection set from GB Racing. The only thing missing was the Water Pump cover, finally it's here.

Lastly, the Gilles. With the upgraded Clip ons i felt the vibration had increased on the handlebars. Hence got their bar ends. Will report here, if this worked.
And got some small bling items to make the motorcycle feel good about herself

Will make pictures when i put these on.

Last edited by Odeen12 : 13th September 2019 at 08:36.
Odeen12 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th September 2019, 07:24   #75
BHPian

[quote=Odeen12;4657146]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjt2012 View Post

This looks lovely. Is it a full system?

No the Akrapovic on my bike is a slip on.
cjt2012 is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks