Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports

Search this Thread
Old 19th February 2020, 12:56   #16
BHPian

Re: Intermot 2018: Suzuki to revive the iconic Katana nameplate with a brand new launch

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Katana will only arrive next year, if at all it does.
That is a big IF.

In my humble opinion, the biggest challenge for the Katana in India would be the pricing wrt. the 2020 MY Ninja 1000. The 2020 Ninja 1000 is poised to decimate the market in the 1000cc Inline 4 segment, when it gets launched. It gets a fully adjustable front/rear suspension, a comprehensive suite of electronics (IMU-based ABS, Power Modes, TFT display) along with a pretty comfortable pillion seat/wind protection. The Katana doesn't get any of these features. Where it does score over the Ninja 1000 is the kerb weight (Katana 215kg vs. 2020 Ninja 1000 235 kg).

The GSX-S1000 (which the Katana is based on) was launched as a CBU in India and was pretty much dead-on-arrival with the astronomical pricing.

Even the 2020 MY USA pricing of the Katana defies logic. The Katana costs $13,500 whereas the 2020 Ninja 1000 costs $12,400 (base MSRP, destination charges are extra). I wonder why anyone would prefer the Katana over the Ninja 1000 unless one is bowled over by the styling of the Katana, which makes for a pretty small target audience to begin with.

Unless Suzuki manages to go the CKD route in India and price the Katana around 9 lacs ex-showroom (undercut the Ninja 1000 by ~1.5 lacs), I don't see any reason for buyers to prefer the Katana over the Ninja 1000.

Suzuki needs to get it's head out of the mud, it's not going to be able to sell the Katanas with such myopic pricing.

Last edited by GoBlue : 19th February 2020 at 13:02.
GoBlue is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2020, 20:20   #17
BHPian

Re: Intermot 2018: Suzuki to revive the iconic Katana nameplate with a brand new launch

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBlue View Post
That is a big IF.

In my humble opinion, the biggest challenge for the Katana in India would be the pricing wrt. the 2020 MY Ninja 1000. The 2020 Ninja 1000 is poised to decimate the market in .............. to get it's head out of the mud, it's not going to be able to sell the Katanas with such myopic pricing.
Incorrect comparo. Katana will compete against the z900rs which is also absurdly priced. The gsx-s 1000f is the right competition to ninja 1000.

Anyhow a superbike purchase is more of a heart rules over head kind of deal. If everyone one bought a bike with their head and hard facts on paper then we'd all be riding around in Kawasakis.

Every Sunday on ecr i see a sea of green kawis and frankly struggle to distinguish between them and it's actually refreshing to see the odd Suzuki or yamaha once a while.
Old 20th February 2020, 21:09   #18
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitro.1000bhp View Post
Incorrect comparo. Katana will compete against the z900rs which is also absurdly priced.
Z900RS has an almost universal appeal, whereas the Katana appeals to only a few!

See how lit the Z900RS thread was, till the atrocious pricing was announced.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th February 2020, 21:31   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitro.1000bhp View Post
Incorrect comparo. Katana will compete against the z900rs which is also absurdly priced. The gsx-s 1000f is the right competition to ninja 1000.
In a price sensitive market like India, a majority of people don't view segments with the purity that you seem to suggest. Segment appropriate purchases exist only in dream-land, most buyers look at a variety of options which suit their budget and which offer maximum value for the price.

If what you say had been the case, the Z900RS would've sold in spades irrespective of it's pricing. People see the Z900 as the much more VFM alternative and the sales speak for themselves. Only a select few would buy a bike which just looks retro but doesn't offer proportionate value at a higher price.

If the Katana competes with the Z900RS then Suzuki has it's work cut out. Going by the Z900RS's sales they shouldn't bother getting the bike here.

The GSX S1000F is not available in India. I've shared a viewpoint regarding the competitors for the Katana in our market based on pricing, bikes like the GSX S1000F which may be segment-appropriate but aren't sold here, are irrelevant.

Also, Suzuki's aren't that rare. The Hayabusa, V-Strom 650 and S750 have done pretty well.

Last edited by GoBlue : 20th February 2020 at 21:39.
Old 21st February 2020, 01:04   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Z900RS has an almost universal appeal, whereas the Katana appeals to only a few!

See how lit the Z900RS thread was, till the atrocious pricing was announced.
Well, that's debatable. Both bikes were game changers in their respective era.

But neither of these new ones are bespoke motorbikes.. atleast like the Honda cb1100. Which is a shame when they want almost twice the moneys!

Btw check this out.. it's a kit for a regular z900 to look like a zrx. Pretty cool and retails for an equally cool £2250.
https://www.bikeexif.com/custom-bikes-week-154

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBlue View Post
In a price sensitive market like India, a majority of people don't view segments with the purity that you seem to suggest. Segment appropriate purchases exist only in dream-land, most buyers look at a variety of options which suit their budget and which offer maximum value for the price.

If what you say had been the case, the Z900RS would've sold in spades irrespective of it's pricing. People see the Z900 as the much more VFM alternative and the sales speak for themselves. Only a select few would buy a bike which just looks retro but doesn't offer proportionate value at a higher price.

If the Katana competes with the Z900RS then Suzuki has it's work cut out. Going by the Z900RS's sales they shouldn't bother getting the bike here.

The GSX S1000F is not available in India. I've shared a viewpoint regarding the competitors for the Katana in our market based on pricing, bikes like the GSX S1000F which may be segment-appropriate but aren't sold here, are irrelevant.

Also, Suzuki's aren't that rare. The Hayabusa, V-Strom 650 and S750 have done pretty well.

Obviously, Suzuki isn't launching this bike here to set the sales charts on fire. It's just a halo product , something aspirational (or.. insert other relevant marketing blurb) just like the z900rs. These are global products and they don't give a squat how many they sell in India as they're not intended to make any sense here. The older versions were not sold here and there's nothing connecting us to its retro charm. And they're not fooling anyone here with the old clothes on a new-ish bike trick either. These are destined to fail in India. Their main market is the US and EU where they will sell a boatload .

I didn't know they stopped the 1000f, sorry bout that.

I am not saying Suzukis are rare. But they come in different colours .

Last edited by nitro.1000bhp : 21st February 2020 at 01:29.

Most Viewed